PDA

View Full Version : Starcade reopened?

mitch
03-16-2013, 10:16 AM
I just heard that Starcade reopened with some of the classic arcade machines that were in the old Flynn's Arcade, can anyone confirm? I'm not going to be able to make it down for another week or so to check it myself.
That last time I checked, Starcade was closed down and completely empty following the removal of the Wreck it Ralph meet and greet.

Mitch

ogold72
03-17-2013, 04:43 PM
Hey I hope thats the case, Flynns Arcade was awesome! Playing those games was such a blast from the past!

oregontraveler
03-18-2013, 03:56 AM
check today's update for more info

mitch
03-18-2013, 08:56 AM
check today's update for more info

Yep, I saw it. I think I'm going to have to head over this weekend to play some Tron. :)

Mitch

pcrazy99
03-18-2013, 11:52 AM
I'm going to have to check it out when we go back. Flynn's was awesome.

Jodi
03-18-2013, 04:21 PM
We were there today, it was in fact, opened. The had some but not all of the games from Flynn's. It was not nearly as full as Starcade used to be.

They did have 4 Fix it Felix machines that were free to use, my kids liked those. DS got to put in his initials for a high score, which he thought was really cool. It was a new idea to him!

cstephens
03-18-2013, 04:25 PM
It wish they had the music from the ElecTRONica arcade too - I loved the 80s music they played.

Mom2
03-20-2013, 12:01 AM
Flynns was so awesome! I still have some tokens from there. At least they kept some of the games it seems. When I went there for Wreck It Ralph, the CM would not let me play the games! OH and I loved the 80s music that played at Flynn's too. Those were the good ole days, the 80s!

ogold72
03-20-2013, 07:59 AM
Flynns was so awesome! I still have some tokens from there. At least they kept some of the games it seems. When I went there for Wreck It Ralph, the CM would not let me play the games! OH and I loved the 80s music that played at Flynn's too. Those were the good ole days, the 80s!

Just bring your walkman for music and pop your collar - you'll be set!

dban3
03-20-2013, 11:39 AM
So if some junior high kid is standing over a Pac_Man game, is a cast member going to walk up to him/her and ask where his/her parents are?

pixar
03-20-2013, 01:52 PM
So if some junior high kid is standing over a Pac_Man game, is a cast member going to walk up to him/her and ask where his/her parents are?

Why would they?

dban3
03-20-2013, 03:38 PM
Why would they?

New policy - all kids under the age of 14 must be accompanied by parent or adult guardian. If not, then cast members can ask where there parents are. Just what I want a do, watch my kid play video games in Disneyland.

cstephens
03-20-2013, 03:42 PM
New policy - all kids under the age of 14 must be accompanied by parent or adult guardian.

You might want to read the article again. This is when entering the parks.

candles71
03-20-2013, 03:43 PM
That is not how the policy is set up at this point. Children under 14 will not be allowed through the gate without someone over 14. Which we have experienced in the past anyway. My youngest was asked where her parent was when she got ahead of me and my 14 year old was between us.
At this point, I don't believe if the child is not creating problems that they will be asked once inside the park. There are too many school groups for them to "patrol" in that type of manner.

pixar
03-20-2013, 08:58 PM
New policy - all kids under the age of 14 must be accompanied by parent or adult guardian. If not, then cast members can ask where there parents are. Just what I want a do, watch my kid play video games in Disneyland.

You might want to read the article again. This is when entering the parks.

Yep that's how I read it too. It's only when entering the parks, and not when you're already inside. So a 11-year-old can play Pac-Man all day if he/she wishes to, without a CM bothering to ask where the parent/guardian is.

Janis and Aaron
03-22-2013, 10:28 PM
DS11 and I stumbled on the re-opened arcade on the 1st day it was open. I was really happy to see the arcade games there, as I remember the glory days of the 2-story, packed Starcade. Most of the games didn't interest him (but then, his grandparents have PacMan, Dig Dug, Centipede, Asteroid, and a pinball game at their house:) ), but he loved Fix- It Felix Jr (and I loved that those games were free!). All of the other games seemed to cost a single 25 cent token, including air hockey, which is a great deal. I think we will put this place on our regular rotation.
Yes, there could be more games, and yes, something other than just "classics" would be nice, but maybe this is a prelude to filling the Starcade full again.

Malcon10t
03-23-2013, 09:52 AM
New policy - all kids under the age of 14 must be accompanied by parent or adult guardian. If not, then cast members can ask where there parents are. Just what I want a do, watch my kid play video games in Disneyland.That isn't what the policy says. It says they will be checked at the turnstiles. Not at the video games or popcorn carts, etc...

cstephens
03-23-2013, 11:28 PM
I saw the arcade today, and it looks to me like they moved everything over from Flynn's, but I was disappointed at the setup. Instead of making a separate area, they pretty much just shoehorned in the various games in between the merchandise in the store at the end, so there are games haphazardly placed everywhere. They even kept the arches from the Wreck It Ralph meet-and-greet.

mitch
03-25-2013, 08:41 AM
I made it into Starcade on Friday night. It didn't start very well since both token machines were broken when I arrived. I played some Fix it Felix while I waited for the token machines to be repaired. After that I was able to play several of the classics. It looks like about half of the games (22 arcades + 2 pinballs) from Flynns made it over, off the top of my head there was no Ms Pacman, Frogger or Pole Position. The Fix it Felix machines made the transition from the Wreck it Ralph version of Starcade but the rest of the machines are gone.
Still, I spent a pretty fun hour or so. I'll definitely be back the next time I'm at Disneyland.

Mitch

ogold72
03-25-2013, 09:00 AM
I made it into Starcade on Friday night. It didn't start very well since both token machines were broken when I arrived. I played some Fix it Felix while I waited for the token machines to be repaired. After that I was able to play several of the classics. It looks like about half of the games (22 arcades + 2 pinballs) from Flynns made it over, off the top of my head there was no Ms Pacman, Frogger or Pole Position. The Fix it Felix machines made the transition from the Wreck it Ralph version of Starcade but the rest of the machines are gone.
Still, I spent a pretty fun hour or so. I'll definitely be back the next time I'm at Disneyland.

Mitch

No Ms Pacman Frogger or Pole Position? Blasphemy!

bumblebeeonarose
03-25-2013, 09:04 AM
It's nice that they reopened it with actual games. It could be a nice place for some families to wait while they rider switch on Space.

arcadeGuy
04-21-2013, 11:51 AM
Does anyone know if that Mini neo geo is still at the starcade or is it gone for good?

ManaByte
04-22-2013, 05:43 AM
Does anyone know if that Mini neo geo is still at the starcade or is it gone for good?

I didn't see it. They only moved over some of the games from Flynn's. They did bring the air hockey table over, the Cyclone pinball table, the original Tron machine, and a few others. They just line the walls with the merchandise in the middle. The larger modern arcade machines, such as the Mario Kart one, are gone now; replaced with merchandise.