PDA

View Full Version : Hungry Bear Chuck E. Cheese

merlinjones
08-30-2001, 09:31 AM
I hope they have not abandoned the idea of retaining one of the Bear Band sets to use as performance in a refurbished Hungry Bear restaurant. Though I know it makes a funny compariosn to Chuck E Cheese, it's actually a good idea - - It would keep some of these characters alive at Disneyland and provide quality show at that venue, making it a more desirable location to spend $. I think it's a great use of one portion of these great assets (even if they are to be reborn at DCA as well).

Ralph Wiggum
08-30-2001, 10:17 AM
I agree!!! this would make an excellent accompanyment to the hungry bear restraunt!!!

beanpole
08-30-2001, 10:29 AM
I wholeheartedly agree too; it's a great idea. There's an AA figure that performs at WDW's Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe (Sun E. Clipse), so why not have a similar setup at DL's Hungry Bear Restaurant?

Ralph Wiggum
08-30-2001, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by beanpole
I wholeheartedly agree too; it's a great idea. There's an AA figure that performs at WDW's Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe (Sun E. Clipse), so why not have a similar setup at DL's Hungry Bear Restaurant?

Oh yeah..i remember that alien thing. IT was pretty funny. They should do something like that in tomorrowland Disneyland

beanpole
08-30-2001, 10:53 AM
Tokyo DL's pizza restaurant also has an elaborate AA show to entertain guests as they eat. I loved it! It didn't matter that the pizza itself was uninspired. The show made it an enjoyable experience.

If they added some AA bears to the Hungry Bear, I'll bet that guests would make a point of eating there. There's nothing like an AA show to draw crowds, especially if food is involved.

08-30-2001, 11:15 AM
But wouldn't the point be to do maximum volume? If the guests sit a little longer in their chairs to watch the aa show, doesn't that potentially decrease the number served? I always thought the point of any (except the high-end) DL restaurant was like an Israeli commando raid: Move in, Get the Food, Get Out. If I'm right, then aa distractions will never be added.

beanpole
08-30-2001, 12:04 PM
Good point, but if two other Disney restaurants feature AA shows, then it must make good business sense for Disney. Combining themed elements (including AA figures) with food service has certainly kept Rainforest Cafe in business.

So how can Disney offset the diminished capacity caused by guests spending more time in their seats?

Here's how: The shows at WDW and TDL aren't full-blown shows like CBJ. The Hungry Bear Jamboree show could be entertaining enough to attract diners, yet not long enough in duration or elaborate enough to keep people glued to their seats for much longer than the average fast food meal requires.

Another aspect to consider: if Disney can spend a (relatively) small amount of money to increase OVERALL guest capacity at the park, then having more guests occupying the Hungry Bear area might be a good investment anyway, even if the guests are just sitting and watching the show. Currently, the Hungry Bear is rarely filled to capacity.

Wow, I sure don't like what I just wrote. Sounds like what a bean counter would say at a Disney corporate meeting: "Yeah, just do the bare minimum with those bear robots. Give 'em a couple of songs, some minimum staging, and don't make it too interesting. Otherwise, people will just hang around and watch the show. Maybe Henry and Big Al can hawk burgers or something between songs."

merlinjones
08-30-2001, 12:11 PM
>>Here's how: The shows at WDW and TDL aren't full-blown shows like CBJ. The Hungry Bear Jamboree show could be entertaining enough to attract diners, yet not long enough in duration or elaborate enough to keep people glued to their seats for much longer than the average fast food meal requires.<<

Sure. You just do small sets of three or four numbers - - not an elaborate show, then take a break like at a bar. There could be rotating set of maybe three shows with three or four numbers each. After one set people would be ready to move on. This kind of thing doesn't seem to be a problem with Sunny Eclipse or Tomorrowland Terrace dining anway. A draw only improves the cash flow.

It's really the perfect way to utilize the Bears - - they are well-liked. It's the long show that people won't sit through on a repetitive basis. As dining entertinment, their perfect.