PDA

View Full Version : What would Walt think of DL today?

fairytalelover
08-20-2003, 12:05 PM
Disneyland is my favorite place and has been since I was little. However, it seems that little by little they are taking away things that made DL so special. Tomorrowland has become a wasteland and the sound effects of the Matterhorn have been taken away, the Pirates are becoming politically correct. It just makes me wonder if Walt was alive, what he would think of the way DL was being run by the powers that be. Would he approve of how his Disneyland had turned out or would he be upset with changes that are occuring? What do you think?

tod
08-20-2003, 05:43 PM
To: Cynthia Harriss
cc: Marty Sklar, John Hench
Re: Park

On my recent walk-around, I noticed some things that should be addressed.

1. Why don't the Jungle Cruise pilots shoot at the hippos any more? So far as I know self-defense is still considered honorable.

2. Why can't people smoke wherever they want?
2b. What happened to the tobacco ahop?

3. Where are the amusement machines in the Penny Arcade? It's all candy in there nowadays.

4. I like that Star Tours thing that Lucas kid came up with. Dust it now and then, okay? If it's that robot's first trip he shouldn't have a layer of dust on him.

5. PAINT THE STEEL, dammit. Some of those railings are down to the raw steel and it'll rust. I like the railings around the Submarine Lagoon worn down and showing all the different colors of paint but enough already. In fact, strip it all and repaint it. All one color, contrasty colors -- we had a sporty red-white-and-black combination I remember -- whatever you'd like, knock yourself out. But fix it.

6. Where are my Submarines?

7. Where did that big model of EPCOT go? The one that was upstairs in the Carousel of Progress?

8. Finally got Space Mountain built, I see. When can I ride it?

9. Nice work on Fantasyland. I like the cobblestones. But those oversize squirrel things on the Castle have to go. Proportion is all wrong.

10. Where did the Motorboats go? I liked the sound of them putt-putting around.

11. I'd like my apartment now. Please get all that gallery crap out of there and tear down the staircases in the front. If the kitchen is gone, build a new one, or set up a corner of the Club 33 kitchen for my use. We may need a tarp over the courtyard, depends on how the sun hits it. Let me get back to you on that.

12. What happened to the bar on the promenade deck of the Mark Twain?

13. Nice queue setup for Jungle Cruise.

14. Same with Pirates queue, very nice. What the hell did they do to the inside? I don't remember okaying the Pirates chasing food.

Please cc: Marty and John over at WED with your response.

--W

sleepyjeff
08-20-2003, 06:33 PM
Let's take this Land by Land.........

Main St. USA: I am sure he would find things he liked and disliked about this very important land.

ADVENTURELAND: He would not be pleased about the disrepair the marketplace has fallen into. He would wonder why such a wonderful place(that he worked extensively on himself) like the Tahitian Terrace has been disregarded. He would not like the shrinking of the Jungle Cruise, but would understand that it was for the building( "Disneyland is to never be completed") of another attraction. He would not like this attraction. Indy is a great ride but Disney liked things that the whole family could enjoy...Indy with it's height restrictions( no young children ) and it's extreme turbulant nature ( no elderly ) would rankle him a bit.

NEW ORLEANS SQUARE: He would love this land. It was the last land he worked on and it contains two major attractions he helped design and immagineer. He would find the PC changes in Pirates puzzeling, but he would most likely just laugh it off. He would wonder why something called Fast Pass was needed for rides he designed to be high capacity fast loading attractions....overall though, he would love this land.

CRITTER COUNTRY: This area would be totally different from what he remembers. I think he would like the overall theming of Critter Country but would not be thrilled with Splash Mt. Don't get me wrong, he would like Splash; but I think he would have toned it down a bit in the scary dept. Pooh he would have loved. It is just the kind of ride he built Disneyland for in the first place.

FRONTIERLAND: Don't think Walt would have loved the removal of the keel boats( they were put in by Walt after he noted to his imagineers that "there is'nt enough movement on the River".). Big Thunder is another Ride that he would have mixed feelings about; well themed and exciting but not something a major portion of his guests could enjoy. Overall I think Walt would be mildly disapointed in this Land.

FANTASYLAND: Yes, he would love this land. In the early eighties( before Eisner ) this land was totally redone. And although I am sure Walt would miss the Pirate Ship like we all do, overall he would approve of the Bavarian Theme over the medieval fair theme.

TOMOROWLAND: ehh....just tell Walt that it is in between re-models....yeah, that's the ticket.

Oh, and before I forget. I think Walt would rather have his old Parking lot back than what looks to be the work of a bunch of Drunk executives on a ski trip;)

----------------------------------------
With all these corporate sponsors pulling out of Disneyland maybe Eisner would like to pony up and sponser a new attraction himself.

Ghoulish Delight
08-20-2003, 07:12 PM
"Oww, oww, brain freeze, oww. Aaargh!! Where's my body?!?!"

Captain Josh
08-20-2003, 07:17 PM
I personally think he'd be very sick, and dizzy from the spinning. From what, you ask? The spinning, from him rolling in his grave so much since 1984.

Icy Bacon
08-20-2003, 10:12 PM
I'm pretty sure he would instantly despise and destroy fastpass... he wouldn't let his celebrity friends cut lines when Matterhorn opened, and he always wanted an equal playing field for all guests. Fastpass is only fast because very few people understand and use it, and those people are basically taking advantage of everyone else... I doubt Walt would want that happening so consistently in his kingdom.

Kuzcotopia
08-21-2003, 02:10 AM
He'd say:

Where's the REST of Tomorrowland? I could have sworn we had three times this many rides!

PapiBear
08-21-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by sleepyjeff
ADVENTURELAND: He would not be pleased about the disrepair the marketplace has fallen into. He would wonder why such a wonderful place(that he worked extensively on himself) like the Tahitian Terrace has been disregarded.

FRONTIERLAND: Don't think Walt would have loved the removal of the keel boats( they were put in by Walt after he noted to his imagineers that "there is'nt enough movement on the River".). Big Thunder is another Ride that he would have mixed feelings about; well themed and exciting but not something a major portion of his guests could enjoy. Overall I think Walt would be mildly disapointed in this Land.

Oh, and before I forget. I think Walt would rather have his old Parking lot back than what looks to be the work of a bunch of Drunk executives on a ski trip;)

THANK YOU!!!!

At last! I'm not alone in the world! Someone else misses the dear old parking lot!

I, too, miss the wonderful hula girls and the kitschy "Polynesian" food at the Tahitian Terrace (tiki culture is de rigeur today and a LOT of people miss the Tahitian Terrace's atmosphere).

The keel boat accident a few years back -- a problem that could have been solved rather than just swept under the rug by getting rid of the boats. Walt loved challenges. Lived for 'em.

Big Thunder -- not a bad theme, but just a wee bit too roller coastery for everyone. My mother, who wasn't an adrenaline junkie, damn near had a heart attack on it back in the 70s, and it scared my sister and me (and made us feel bad that she couldn't share the enjoyment). Disneyland's "vibe" was rarely about "outdoing the competition" from other amusement parks.

What would Walt think of today's DL? "$50 bucks a head to get in the place?!? $2.50 for a Coke?!? You guys are concentrating WAYYYY too much on business and not nearly enough on SHOW. People don't come here with nothing in mind but 'where can I get rid of this cash burning a hole in my pocket?', they come here to be entertained, educated, and to enjoy themselves with their families and friends."

Then he'd proceed to give them a very well-deserved dressing down, as only Walt could. And I'd be right behind him, darting out to kick Eisner in the shins every so often.

blusilva
08-21-2003, 10:41 PM
"What is that huge ugly thing where the convenient parking lot used to be? Get rid of it. NOW."

"Don't you people paint every night anymore? Paint is cheap. Do it. NOW."

"These Main Street shops don't feel 'turn-of-the-20th-century' to me. Bring back the craftmanship. NOW."

"Why are so many rides shut down? Tomorrowland? Looks more like a dusty one-way street to the middle of now-where. Fix it. Fix ALL of it. NOW."

"Wow, I love what you guys did in Fantasyland. I really like that Pinocchio ride."

"I really like that new Pooh ride, too. It's fantastic. I could use more room for my knees, though."

"It's A Small World looks just the same. Thanks, fellas."

Doodle Duck
08-22-2003, 06:48 AM
"After a great deal of reflection...I have decided to close Disneyland. No friends, not forever...just long enough to clean out the junk that has been allowed to multiply over the years since I've been...uh...vacationing. We will simplify and beautify each land and restore the Magic for all to enjoy.
Disneyland will be closed for 6 months. At the completion of this big job, there will be the most joyus and spectacular re-opening in the history of entertainment.
I'll let you in on a little secret...there will be many things you have missed...and there will be many things you have never seen before.
I would also like to announce that as of this moment, Mr. Michael Eisner is no longer affiliated with the Walt Disney name. That's all I have to say about that at this time.
While Disneyland is closed, California Adventure will remain open for those who care to visit. Upon the re-opening of Disneyland, much of what is now known as California Adventure will be removed then redisigned into 3 new lands to be ADDED to Disneyland!
Sorry I've been gone so long...it wont happen again."
Uncle Walt

hefferdude
08-22-2003, 07:07 AM
"Oww, oww, brain freeze, oww. Aaargh!! Where's my body?!?!"

Hang in there Mr. Disney. If TDA doesn't also lay off all the imagineers in search of the fathomless bottm line, in a few years we can build you a Pentium 12 THz AA body. Then, you can go by the name - "The Disneyator" - and go back and kick some corporate butt! :cool:

JeffG
08-22-2003, 12:03 PM
Just a general question to everyone that has responded in this thread: Have any of you attributed opinions to Walt that don't match your own opinions?

-Jeff

YellowMan
08-22-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by JeffG
Just a general question to everyone that has responded in this thread: Have any of you attributed opinions to Walt that don't match your own opinions? Of course they haven't. They all know exactly what Walt would want: exactly what they want.:rolleyes:

tod
08-22-2003, 12:49 PM
Just a general question to everyone that has responded in this thread: Have any of you attributed opinions to Walt that don't match your own opinions?

Yeah. The part about Walt taking his apartment back, and the question about why can't people smoke anywhere they want.

I also miss the Tobacco Shop -- it smelled great, and when my father-in-law wanted a meerschaum pipe for Christmas they had a big selection to choose from -- but I never used it, except that once.

--T
:fez:

blusilva
08-22-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by YellowMan
Of course they haven't. They all know exactly what Walt would want: exactly what they want.:rolleyes:

Psychic, much? Sheesh.

I don't care either way about the shops on Main Street.

SacTown Chronic
08-22-2003, 01:26 PM
"Eisner, you have 30 seconds to exit the premises then I'm gonna kick your _ _ _!"

sleepyjeff
08-22-2003, 07:14 PM

-Jeff

Yes as a matter of fact there were several. I said that Walt would love the Pooh ride( and He would).......I don't care much for it myself.

I said that Walt would dislike Indy. This is one of my favortie rides.

I said that Walt would be only a little puzzled by the new PC Pirates.......I hate it with a passion.

I said that Walt would dislike Big Thunder......I love it.

Walt and I would agree on the lack of upkeep....especialy in the Adventureland Marketplace.

And I am pretty sure Walt and I would agree that the Tahitian Terrace should be brought back to it's old glory.

Side note: Walt is buried in a cemetary in Burbank....not frozen in a lab. Come on folks a little respect:crying:

fairytalelover
08-25-2003, 09:19 AM
Walt would definitley hate DCA and would hate that his name is on it.

He would also be very upset about the death of Tomorrowland and I am sure he would hate Innoventions!:)

kwlundy
08-26-2003, 09:17 AM
The thing that gets me, time and time and time again, is the idea that anyone (not just here, but anywhere) would know what Walt would think.

stevemo
08-26-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by kwlundy
The thing that gets me, time and time and time again, is the idea that anyone (not just here, but anywhere) would know what Walt would think.

I will agree that it is mere speculation to discuss what Walt would think, but I would have to say that it could be educated speculation. There are so many exhaustive biographies and books concerning Disney animation that relied on sources whom were connected to Walt for decades that we can for certain know what Walt "thought." I don't think that we would be too far off to extrapolate what Walt "thinks."

SacTown Chronic
08-27-2003, 06:15 AM
Excuse me kwlundy. I didn't hold a seance just to have my comments questioned. I stand by the kicking Eisner's tail statement.:D

BTW, Are you guys SURE that Mr. Disney would rather have a parking lot?????

HBTiggerFan
08-27-2003, 09:26 AM
I think Walt would be pleased that families are still enjoying his dream, and I think he would be pleased that his dream has been expanded all over the world.

I think he would be disappointed in the lack of "show" and upkeep that the DLR is facing. I remember reading that light bulbs were replaced at 80% of their efficency so they would never burn out. Preventative maintence was the key, and maintence was never done infront of the guests.

I am also of the school that thinks DL should still close 2 days a week for general upkeep ie: painting, changing of bulbs, general minor preventative maintence. Walt wasn't alive long enough after DL opened to have to deal with major rehabs. I don't know what he would have done, however I would like to think he would only close one ride at a time and the rehabs would be done on a regular systamatic basis as to not effect the guest experience to much.

fairytalelover
08-27-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan

I am also of the school that thinks DL should still close 2 days a week for general upkeep ie: painting, changing of bulbs, general minor preventative maintence. Walt wasn't alive long enough after DL opened to have to deal with major rehabs. I don't know what he would have done, however I would like to think he would only close one ride at a time and the rehabs would be done on a regular systamatic basis as to not effect the guest experience to much.

It seems so simple to use the upkeep and rehab method you are explaining. I don't undertand why they don't implement this. Shutting down one ride at a time on a regular systematic basis would make so much sense.