PDA

View Full Version : Matterhorn sound effect missing in action

fairytalelover
08-19-2003, 04:36 PM
I have recently noticed that the wind sound effects are no longer there and they also took away the polka music too. What happened to all of that? I miss the wind sound effect. When I was a child as soon as I got closer to the Matterhorn I would hear the wind effects and it got me so excited and it really drew me to go on the ride. As far as I am concerned, little things make a big difference. The atmosphere is just as important as the ride itself.:crying:

Tigertail777
08-19-2003, 06:18 PM
I sure hope this is temporary, I too love the wind sounds it makes a nice ominous feel, and the polka music sets the mood.

Captain Josh
08-19-2003, 06:24 PM
Oh Great, now I have to go on the Matterhorn. I know, everyone loves it, but I don't. I'm scared of it! I had a terrible experience when I was in grade school when I went on it. I slipped, and spent the entire ride lying down in my seat, my head smacking my poor friend's belly the entire time... Maybe I need someone to force me on, so I can shake my fears. I mean, hey, it worked for Space Mountain.

fairytalelover
08-20-2003, 09:02 AM
Does anyone know WHY they took the sound effects and music away??:confused:

TP2000
08-20-2003, 11:51 AM
I noticed the wind sounds were gone a few months ago. They seem to have been turned off around late Spring/early Summer.

Maybe they are gone for good?

DonaldDuck14
08-20-2003, 11:53 AM
haha, knowing disney it was probably due to budget cuts since they don't like paying money for extra maintenence...j/k

GreatWhiteShark
08-21-2003, 01:34 PM
This is my theory as tilted as it is.

I think that maybe they took away the wind effects sound and Polka music at the front of the queue line and will return it for the 50th. My reasoning behind all of this, if they take little things away like that from some rides and then when the 50th comes it will be an explosion of sights and sounds. People will be happy it is back and it will seem new again to them.

Like I said this is just a theory of mine, no actuall fact here. But it is a thought.:)

SpacedOutCM
08-21-2003, 03:36 PM
The wind and polka music are still on. They aren't as loud as they use to be.

fairytalelover
08-22-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by SpacedOutCM
The wind and polka music are still on. They aren't as loud as they use to be.
Well I have been going there almost every weekend for the past year. It has been gone for a while. I have even heard people standing in line complaining about it the past few times I have been there.

SpacedOutCM
08-23-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by fairytalelover
Well I have been going there almost every weekend for the past year. It has been gone for a while. I have even heard people standing in line complaining about it the past few times I have been there.

It is still there.

The polka music isn't as loud as it once was becuase of the new safety spiel that was just recently added.

Most of the sound had been lowered because it was too loud.

I would know because i work the attraction.

fairytalelover
08-25-2003, 08:53 AM
It is still there.

The polka music isn't as loud as it once was becuase of the new safety spiel that was just recently added.

Most of the sound had been lowered because it was too loud.

I would know because i work the attraction.

Well it is impossible to hear it. What safety will it hurt to turn it up a bit?
Also, the wind sound that could be heard as you walk near the Matterhorn is NOT there. Is there a reason for that?

Austrinken
09-03-2003, 07:14 PM
Hello,

I am a Cast Member on the Matterhorn (and I am brand new to this board). I realize that this thread is quite old, but I'm hoping that I can shed some light on this subject for you guys.

Prior to the last big refurbishment on the Matterhorn (the one that spanned for somewhere near six months), there were speakers every few zones throughout the mountain. These speakers are what supplied the wind sound effects, and they would also play the "Attention Bobsled Riders..." spiel when the ride broke down. Since the speakers were spaced only every few zones, they were set at a very high volume to ensure that they could always be heard by the riders.

During the big refurbishment, one of the changes made was that speakers were added in each zone. Since there is now a speaker in each zone, it is no longer necessary for the volume to be at such a high level, because there is now a speaker placed at each area a sled could conceivably stop during a breakdown.
So, in a big nutshell, we can say that before, there were just a few speakers that were very loud. Now, there are a lot of speakers that are not as loud.

I agree with you guys, in that I miss being able to hear the wind sound effects from far away. I always thought that that added to the environment while waiting in line.

As far as the yodeling, it is still on the soundtrack while you are in the queue house, but it has been turned down a bit so as not to interfere with the spieling of the (terribly-accented) safety/efficiency spiel.

I hope that I was able to shed some light on this for you.

MonorailMan
09-03-2003, 07:24 PM
Thanks Austrinken! It's nice to have a good explanation.

Austrinken
09-03-2003, 08:26 PM
My pleasure. I'm glad that I could be helpful in this situation. I have been working at the Matterhorn for quite awhile (yikes...kind of too long, when I look back), so let me know if you ever have any questions like this in the future, and I will be glad to help you out.

SpacedOutCM
09-03-2003, 10:20 PM
i posted the same info 2 messages ago.

Austrinken
09-03-2003, 10:47 PM
Well, we're both just fountains of knowledge now, aren't we? Cornucopias of information, just bursting at the seams with helpfulness. Working together, you and I can make sure that no Matterhorn questions go unanswered, no matter how big or small!

Just messin' with ya, buddy. I didn't mean to cramp your style...I was just trying to kind of expand the explanation. No hard feelings, I hope.

fairytalelover
09-04-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Austrinken
My pleasure. I'm glad that I could be helpful in this situation. I have been working at the Matterhorn for quite awhile (yikes...kind of too long, when I look back), so let me know if you ever have any questions like this in the future, and I will be glad to help you out.

Is there anyay to get them to turn the wind effects back up so we can hear it as we are approaching the Matterhorn like before? Tell them the fans are upset. It added so much to the atmosphere.:crying:

Austrinken
09-04-2003, 09:41 AM
We don't have a volume control for the speakers, unfortunately.

If I were to suggest an increase in the volume, I would get a pat on the head and a gentle "Get back to work...your job is to operate the attraction, not to think about it."

As being the lowest on the ladder, I really have no voice in it.

I do agree with you, though. I really think it added to the atmosphere to be able to hear the wind effects as you were walking up to the mountain and waiting in the queue.

smd4
09-04-2003, 10:13 AM
i posted the same info 2 messages ago.

Not quite, SpacedOutCM. No offense, but your two-sentence answer does not include the same wealth of info as Austrinken's thorough and well-written response, which explained not only that the volume was turned down, but provided interesting information about WHY it was turned down.

SpacedOutCM
09-04-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by smd4
Not quite, SpacedOutCM. No offense, but your two-sentence answer does not include the same wealth of info as Austrinken's thorough and well-written response, which explained not only that the volume was turned down, but provided interesting information about WHY it was turned down.

That's because i don't think that people need to know EVERYTHING. Only just the basic stuff. I didn't want to go into great detail.

I said that the queue music is still there and it was lowered for the safety spiel. I also said that about the mountain sound was lowered because it was too loud. That is the same as "Since there is now a speaker in each zone, it is no longer necessary for the volume to be at such a high level"

Austrinken did go into detail about the whole thing but i don't think that people need to know that much information.

smd4
09-05-2003, 07:50 AM
That's fine if you want to be the secret-keeper, but that makes it impossible for you to claim you gave the "same info," when for whatever reasons you clearly decided NOT to give the same info.

GreatWhiteShark
09-05-2003, 09:32 AM
Well now I, can lay this one to rest.

I would like to Thank Austrinken for explaining it so that we all could understand. Sometimes more information is better than less.

I to hope that they turn the speakers up for the wind sound effects. However I am satisfied with the good explination that was made, it make absolut sense.

:)

fairytalelover
09-05-2003, 09:53 AM
Yes thank you for the info. Very helpful. I am going to DL this weekend and will complain to City Hall. Maybe if enough people complain they will change it back.

danyoung
09-05-2003, 09:56 AM
That's because i don't think that people need to know EVERYTHING. Only just the basic stuff. I didn't want to go into great detail.

I said that the queue music is still there and it was lowered for the safety spiel. I also said that about the mountain sound was lowered because it was too loud. That is the same as "Since there is now a speaker in each zone, it is no longer necessary for the volume to be at such a high level"

Austrinken did go into detail about the whole thing but i don't think that people need to know that much information.

Gotto agree with smd4 here - you provided an answer, but not the same info as Austrinken. That's not to say I didn't appreciate your answer - thanks for keeping us informed!