PDA

View Full Version : I love the water misters at DCA!!

fairytalelover
08-19-2003, 12:35 PM
We just went to DCA and Disneyland over the weekend and it was very hot and humid. After a few hours at Disneyland we walked over to DCA and as we are walking along abou to melt in the heat, we noticed this area next to that big Bulldozer where you there is this mister that goes around in a circle and you can just stand underneath it and cool off! It is great! In addition, in the kiddie area you can stand in the middle of these shooting sprays of water..........and in that heat the adults are right there with the kids!! I just wish they would have such a thing in Disneyland. They could put it in Tomorrowland where that water ball is which really doesnt do much to get one that wet. In addition, that misting machine in DCA looks kinda futuristic like as it and I think would fit perfectly with the Tomorrowland theme.

Has anyone else used these wonders for cooling down?:cool:

mousey_girl
08-19-2003, 02:15 PM
My husband and son have been known to frequent the "watering holes" of DCA. Their favorites seem to be located in FFF. They tend to walk away from there wetter than if they had been on GRR 3 times in a row in the middle of December. :rolleyes:

ChipmunkStar
08-19-2003, 02:25 PM
See, here's the fun part. There used to be a water play area exactly where you propose. There used to be waterjets that would spray into the air in patterns, and people could run and frollick through them. A few things became troublesome though:

Adults and Children taking off their clothing to play (shirts, shoes, and sometimes even shorts and underoos for the younger ones).

Slippage (water + running. You do the math).

Rumors of E Coli strands being found in the water, even with the massive amounts of chlorine in the water.

After so long, the execs decided to shut off the water in that area, and after a year or two decided to replace the foam that was breaking off in chunks. What you see now is the remnants of a once-fun water fountain/ play area.

mystycalchyk
08-19-2003, 02:37 PM
I bring my own misters :D

hubby and I have these things called 'misty mates' and they are GREAT. got them at wally world. First time I saw them was about 5 years ago. We were waiting in line to get over to Tom Sawyer Island and this lady in front of us had one...She apologised for having accidentally 'sprayed us' but we were more than happy to have gotten in on the cooling action. We asked where she got them and went THAT DAY to Popular (just a couple of miles away from DL) and bought two of our own. We bought new ones for this years trip to WDW (since we've used them SO much and finally broke the original two) and they were a life saver.

They are maybe about 8 inches long, and can strap round your waist. Just pump up the top to build up a little pressure and turn in on and off at will. Heav. en. ly.!

Much better than standing with everyone else vying for a cool blast :D

Bill Catherall
08-19-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by ChipmunkStar
Slippage (water + running. You do the math). Add "collisions" to that list. Head on collisions, in fact.

Water + running + closed eyes because of the water...

I don't know how many people either ran into my kids or got ran into by my kids, but it just wasn't a safe area.

jrad32
08-19-2003, 03:11 PM
Not to do an advertisement here, but the Misty Mates apparently work very well. There is a group of mothers in Phoenix and LV who are raising money to send them to troops in Iraq.

Thought that was a nice gesture.

fairytalelover
08-19-2003, 03:42 PM
Well, the area I aws really referring to is that area at Flea Flix where they have the squirting water and also the area in front of the tractor where they have the misting maching that moves in a circular motion above us. In a hot day at DCA when it is difficult to even walk because of the heat, getting squirted and misted over there is a Godsend. We got dripping wet and then we actually dried out in less than 20 minutes it was so hot. I have even walked over from DL to just get walk and go back, since DL does not have such a great cooling down system. The only misters they have at DL is in Toon Town and you have to stand there for a very long time to get a small amount of mist on you......it just does not compare to DCA. I wonder why DL does not put in something like that? They have all the room in the world in Storage Space Land.

sleepyjeff
08-19-2003, 06:31 PM
Correct me if I am wrong....but does'nt Legionaire's Disease spread via dirty misters. I don't know if I would trust the current operatrors of DLR to do a good job of keeping them clean.

Just a thought,

Don't Panic:)

AussieDisneyFan
08-19-2003, 06:38 PM
I was reading an email about updates in DLR Paris.

They have just installed misters for the heatwave conditions they have been having

ChipmunkStar
08-19-2003, 09:12 PM
There actually is a place to still get soaking wet at Disneyland. When you near Triton Gardens (or Ariel's Grotto [the original!] where Ariel does her meet and greets), there is a statue of King Triton holding his trident. There is a little path across the way from him that has jumping waters that people manage to stick their hands in front of and get SOAKED! That includes everybody around them. And half the time you don't even need to do that. The water normally ricochets off of the rocks, and sprays the guests in the immediate area.

I know there are misters installed on the back trail behind Big Thunder Mountain, but I don't know how often they use them (taking into account the fact that the place is now a smoking section).

Besides, you could always jump in the single rider line for Splash Mountain ;)

ChipmunkStar
08-19-2003, 09:17 PM
Oh! I'm sorry, I wasn't clear in my first post. I meant to say that there was a water play area in the area you propose in Tomorrowland. Everything else (including Bill's addition ;) ) can remain the same.

So the list of water-down type areas for the Disneyland Resort are:

Disneyland
Triton Gardens
Splash Mountain

DCA
Bountiful Valley Farms (near the tractors)
Dot's Splash park (in Flik's Fun Fair)
The S.S. Rustworthy
Grizzly River Run
The mister near Soarin' Over California

And of course the pools at the hotels.

disneymeimei
08-20-2003, 07:12 AM
DL and DCA both sell water bottles with fans. We brought our own little squirt bottle with a mist setting from home (about eight inches) and kept cool while waiting in line and walking here and there. Strangers were not afraid to ask to be squirted\misted, of course my aim was off occasionally while trying to walk through crowded areas, worked like a charm in defusing my aggrevation. ;)

I highly recommend bringing one with you.

fairytalelover
08-20-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by sleepyjeff
Correct me if I am wrong....but does'nt Legionaire's Disease spread via dirty misters. I don't know if I would trust the current operatrors of DLR to do a good job of keeping them clean.

Just a thought,

Don't Panic:)

Are you serious??? We can get a disease from those things? How?:(

Captain Josh
08-20-2003, 08:55 AM
If memories serves me correct, Legionnaire's disease is called that because it started at a Legionnaire's convention. The hotel where it was held had very dirty vents. Now, I guess what it was was that the vents had stored up assorted bugs and viruses over the years, and before the convention came to town, they cleaned the vents by blowing everything out. The Legionnaires became sick with the accumulated viruses that were spread through the air.

Well, that's how I think it goes.

So, if a lot of sick people hack on the misters, we'd have a problem. But I trust the Disney custodial and maintenence guys, don't you?

fairytalelover
08-20-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by G-Hawk
If memories serves me correct, Legionnaire's disease is called that because it started at a Legionnaire's convention. The hotel where it was held had very dirty vents. Now, I guess what it was was that the vents had stored up assorted bugs and viruses over the years, and before the convention came to town, they cleaned the vents by blowing everything out. The Legionnaires became sick with the accumulated viruses that were spread through the air.

Well, that's how I think it goes.

So, if a lot of sick people hack on the misters, we'd have a problem. But I trust the Disney custodial and maintenence guys, don't you?

Well, I don't know anything about the disease. However I figure that Disney would be very careful about getting their customers sick, cuz it could be a very hefty lawsuit. Also, I figure if we were going to gt sick, we would have gotten sick by now.

TheatreTech
08-20-2003, 09:08 AM
I believe that you can stand under the rocket that is between the pizza port and innoventions. I sprays mist out from under it every 30 seconds or so.

lindyhop
08-20-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by disneymeimei
DL and DCA both sell water bottles with fans.

I finally bought one. Considering how hot it's been, it's the best fourteen bucks I ever spent.:)