PDA

View Full Version : Should the Pirates still continue to chase food or go back to chasing the women?

Pages : [1] 2 3

fairytalelover
08-19-2003, 11:54 AM
I never understood why Disney changed the POTC ride so the pirates ended up chasing food instead of the women. Even as a little kid I thought that was really funny. Personally, I dont see anything wrong with them chasing the women. It was always tastefully done and funny. What do you think?:confused:

Disneyphile
08-19-2003, 12:10 PM
I've always had a problem with them changing it to its current state, because it says to me: "It's not proper for women to be chased, but it's still ok to sell 'em!", which is just stupid, in my opinion.

I say change it back and also return the gunshots to the hippo pool on Jungle Cruise!!!

Next thing ya know, they'll change Injun Joe's Cave to "Native American Joe's Big Hole Made of Rock".

I can't stand the "PC-fication" of classic tales and history!

Women were chased in history - let's not try to cover it up like it never happened.

Jewels
08-19-2003, 12:19 PM
I agree. Bring back the chase. That was one of the funniest parts. Better to be chased then sold.

jrad32
08-19-2003, 12:59 PM
chase, chase, chase. I'd rather chase women than food any day.

UncleGDogWord
08-19-2003, 01:00 PM
I never understood why they changed that scene to some campy romp chasing FOOD!?!?!? It seems so stupid when you get to that scene and them (Disney) changing it back to the classic version is unlikely.
At least they haven't put Mayor McCheese and Constable Big Mac
being chased by the pirates.:D

fairytalelover
08-19-2003, 01:03 PM
I heard that they changed them from chasing women because some PC mothers thought it was innapropriate for kids. If this is true then they should get rid of the ride all together. The ride is about pirates! Pirates drink excessivly, get drunk, chase women, pillage and steal. This PC stuff is getting out of hand. What are they so afraid of?

Sheila
08-19-2003, 01:28 PM
This rumor seems to come up over and over and over again. :( From the inside sources I have, PoTC was changed not because of Disney attempting to appease the politcal correctness crowd; it was changed to refurbish the ride and to incorporate the old World of Motion animatronics from WDW. (However, some do feel that PC-ness cam into play on that ride.)

I'm linking to a previous thread discussing this in great detail:

PC pirates (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?threadid=10203&highlight=political+correctness)

Promo-Man
08-19-2003, 01:52 PM
We wants the Red head:D

I would like to see them chasing the women, not the food

Gemini Cricket
08-19-2003, 02:08 PM
Instead of one of the chase scenes, I'd like to see the two dueling pirates a la Disneyland Paris. That was pretty neat.

I liked the chasing women scenes better than the chasing the food scenes. Historically, pirates were not nice... really bad eggs if you will...

What about a compromise? What if they showed a pirate chasing a woman and the look on her face indicated that she liked being chased and wanted to be caught? That would be kinda nifty.

zapppop
08-19-2003, 02:08 PM
So you can have a ride where the main character dies in a horrific train wreck and goes to hell, but you can't show men chasing women ? Wait, don't tell me ! : it's cause PC doesn't apply to toads. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Sheila
From the inside sources I have, PoTC was changed not because of Disney attempting to appease the politcal correctness crowd; it was changed to refurbish the ride and to incorporate the old World of Motion animatronics from WDW. (However, some do feel that PC-ness cam into play on that ride.)

Sheila, it's not that I don't believe you, but I don't recall seeing any new animatronic characters in pirates after that rehab, and remember a story on KCAL 9 News saying that the ride was changing to be more PC.

I say, CHASE THE WOMEN !!!!!!!!!!!!

:fez:

mousey_girl
08-19-2003, 02:12 PM
As a BBW, I find the last chase sceen, where the large woman is chasing the 2 guys with food, very very offensive. Does that mean I get to lobby to change it?? ;) :p :geek:

SzczerbiakManiac
08-19-2003, 02:36 PM
Lose the food and give Gloria Allred a chill-pill.

innerSpaceman
08-19-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by zapppop
I don't recall seeing any new animatronic characters in pirates after that rehab, and remember a story on KCAL 9 News saying that the ride was changing to be more PC.

Sorry Zap, but a human World of Motion AA was added to the "food chasing" scene, along with several WoM animals ... and two more WoM guys were added to the final scene - attempting to haul the treasure up the lift. (You can always tell the World of Motion figures because they have absolutely no facial movement whatsoever and, um, they are a complete mis-match for the style of the original Pirates AAs).

However, the addition of World of Motion figures has nothing to do with changing the scene from girl chase to food chase. Nothing about that update required the change to food and, in fact, there are no WoM figures involved in the food chase or any food consumption. Trying to pawn off this absurd P.C. change as having anything do with the requirements of a ride upgrade is ridiculous.

It was P.C., P.C., and nothing but P.C.

The irony of actually selling women right on the other side of the bridge must have escaped Disney.

cemeinke
08-19-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
The irony of actually selling women right on the other side of the bridge must have escaped Disney.

Nonesense - Disney is all about capitalism ;)

Icy Bacon
08-19-2003, 03:32 PM
Wait... aren't they now just chasing women with food? Or is my memory just fuzzy? :confused:

tod
08-19-2003, 03:34 PM
Somebody -- and if I knew who it was, I would have linked to it likethat -- pointed out that the Pirates now illustrate all seven of the deadly sins, with gluttony added in place of one of the lusts and a rather graphic depiction of greed as you go up the waterfall and see the skeletons with their treasure, which didn't do them much good, did it, as the voice intones DEAD... MEN... TELL NO... TALES!! It's really better now.

Although I miss the rooster chasing the hens.

--T

fairytalelover
08-19-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Icy Bacon
Wait... aren't they now just chasing women with food? Or is my memory just fuzzy? :confused:

Yes, all they did was put food on top of their hands. So now they are being chased with food stuck on their palms. Very lame.

fairytalelover
08-19-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
Sorry Zap, but a human World of Motion AA was added to the "food chasing" scene, along with several WoM animals ... and two more WoM guys were added to the final scene - attempting to haul the treasure up the lift. (You can always tell the World of Motion figures because they have absolutely no facial movement whatsoever and, um, they are a complete mis-match for the style of the original Pirates AAs).

However, the addition of World of Motion figures has nothing to do with changing the scene from girl chase to food chase. Nothing about that update required the change to food and, in fact, there are no WoM figures involved in the food chase or any food consumption. Trying to pawn off this absurd P.C. change as having anything do with the requirements of a ride upgrade is ridiculous.

It was P.C., P.C., and nothing but P.C.

I must agree, that adding World of Motion figures has nothing to do with glueing food on the plams of their hands. Nothing but pointless, ignorant P.C!!

Grover2001
08-19-2003, 04:05 PM
I too heard it was due to the World of Motion figures. The pirates hauling the chest at the lift displaced the pirate on the teetering barrels so he moved to the chase scene. Remember those were barrels of gunpowder not alcohol. Also, I believe the pirate with the basket and the horse came from Florida. However, this was the 90s and it was PC to be PC so everyone jumped on that bandwagon. Knowing Presseler, it made Disney look good so he never disputed it. If only they knew then how obesity would be affecting Americans now.

Captain Josh
08-19-2003, 04:05 PM
Someone mentioned the Hippos, and the pistols in the Jungle Cruise. As a self-proclaimed Jungle Cruise fan, I must say, the guns are something I miss. Even back when they just clicked the empty chambers at them, I thought it was great. Now, all of a sudden, they upped and left? What? Did someone steal all of them? I've heard all the the 'rumors', that they stopped using them after one was stolen, but the more accepted explanation is that PETA types found it immoral that the skippers fired up an endangered species....made out of plastic. Right.

While we're at it, I miss the toy replica guns you could buy in the shops at Frontierland and Adventureland. I guess they went away when some suits thought they could do better by selling Quiksilver clothes....whatever.:|

kwlundy
08-20-2003, 08:33 AM
I may be remembering this wrong, but I could have sworn the WDW version of this ride still shows the Pirates chasing the women. My thought is that if they did the Disneyland change for PC reasons--wouldn't you think they would update WDW's version as well?

Mukta
08-20-2003, 09:58 AM
The PC issue was not the men chasing the women. The issue was that the men were chasing the thin women and the fat woman was chasing a man who looked horrified. I personally wasn't offended, but I had some heavier friends who were.

GreatWhiteShark
08-20-2003, 11:13 AM
If anyone get's offended by a ride then they got deeper issues. Sorry but it was just chasing, no one got caught so for all we know they are just running. Everyone has got there own imagination as to what happens but lets not make more out of it that what it is. A ride that depicts history! If someone get's offended by that, then tell them to call Springer, he can probably use them/you/whoever.:fez:

I say get rid of the food and let the chases begin!:~D

fairytalelover
08-20-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Mukta
The PC issue was not the men chasing the women. The issue was that the men were chasing the thin women and the fat woman was chasing a man who looked horrified. I personally wasn't offended, but I had some heavier friends who were.

Well I am sorry and I dont mean to offend either but that is so lame. I am thin, so should I be offended that they are chasing the thin women only. Should I complain that showing thin women being chased then it makes me look like a possible victim?? If everybody got offended by every single thing they saw on rides, all the parks should be closed down. This society has turned into this entity who gets offended at the drop of a hat. We have lost the ability to laugh at ourselves and I am sad for such a society. Everything makes us some kind of vicitm. If we are overweight then we should be offended at every little thing, if we are too tall we should be offended, or too short, too much hair, too little hair, too thin, big eyes, little eyes,etc.............this is ridiculous.
You know, I am not perfect and have faults and at least have the ability to laugh at myself .....all in good fun!! It's just a ride, it's a park!! It is there to have fun! Why dont we shut down Roger Rabbit, cuz it shows animals being hurt! Hey, let's shut down Peter Pan cuz it promotes kids running away from home without permission with some strange guy!:rolleyes:

GeminiAngel
08-20-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by zapppop

I say, CHASE THE WOMEN !!!!!!!!!!!!

zapppop, I've seen your photo, you can chase me!!!!:D