PDA

View Full Version : Lucky

Lost Boy
08-19-2003, 10:44 AM
According to Al's column the other day, Lucky the Free Roaming Dinosaure A/A is supposed to be walking around the Hollywood Backlot area of DCA. Has anybody seen it yet? Does anybody know if this is going to happen on Saturdays and Sundays as well? Since we are now at the start of the last two weeks in August, I need to know so I can make plans to get down and somehow get into DCA (maybe a shopping pass for 1 hour again) to video tape Lucky.

Thanks

YellowMan
08-20-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Lost Boy
According to Al's column the other day, Lucky the Free Roaming Dinosaure A/A is supposed to be walking around the Hollywood Backlot area of DCA. Has anybody seen it yet? Yes I have.

Lucky, the animatronic dinosaur rumored to be tested in DCA made one of his first public appearances today. Luckily, I was there just as it happened and snapped some pictures and quick video on my still digital camera (didn't have the camcorder, so the video's a little low on the quality and high on the size (around 9 megs for 30 seconds)). Anyway, I thought I'd share.

Okay, pictures first. The dinosaur's name is Lucky. My buddy and I stood around the back of the HPB by Hollywood & Dine where the main eating area was blocked off. We stood for a while, then a CM moved the curtains so we couldn't see back into the eating area and inside the building where Lucky was being prepped. This discouraged us, and we were about to leave when after a few minutes tons of Disney CMs and TDA folks showed up (including Cynthia Harris (not sure if that's spelled correctly)), so we took this as a clue to stay. Then we heard the dino noise behind the barrier, the curtains lifted and out came a wizard-looking fellow. Behind him was Lucky.

http://www.themeparksource.com/junk/lucky/Img_0029.jpg
Here's Lucky peeking out.

http://www.themeparksource.com/junk/lucky/Img_0030.jpg
Here he's come a little further and you can see he's pulling a large cart.

http://www.themeparksource.com/junk/lucky/Img_0032.jpg
Here we see him fully stretched out.

Now for some video (again, I apologize about the quality and size. I'll try and fix this tomorrow). The files are AVI files (apologies again for that, as I know some folks don't like those) and it'll probably work best to right-click the link and choose Save Target As.

http://www.themeparksource.com/junk/lucky/MVI_0031.AVI
Here Lucky walks from the curtain out into the open Hollywood Pictures Backot. The area looks a little empty, but there was quite a crowd around behind me.

http://www.themeparksource.com/junk/lucky/MVI_0033.AVI
This second clip shows Lucky interacting with some kids, and blowing his nose.

He's quite a cute dinosaur, and it was a shame he didn't work too well. He walked about 20 feet before he froze first, lowering his head to the side. The "wizard-like" fellow with him covered by saying he was taking a nap. Lucky froze for a few seconds, then rose again to yawn and look at his friend a little closer, however, he froze again. At this point, his human friend asked for the "magic blanket" (a tarp) to cover Lucky with as they would make him levitate backstage (they tilted the cart behind him and rolled him back.

Final thoughts:
I was expecting the four-legged animatronic I'd seen on the Travel Channel before, but this one was very interesting to see nonetheless.

The cart behind it did remove a bit of the wow factor included with it, as it helped it to balance, however the animatronic's walking motions are very fluid, as well as the motions of the head movements. It's a great animatronic overall, even if it doesn't seem to completely walk all on it's own.

Tigertail777
08-21-2003, 12:46 AM
well thats kinda cool... but I was somehow picturing something bigger: like 2-3 times the size of man. The one on the travel channel sure gave the impression of it being bigger. Still, once they get the bugs worked out, this could be the beginning of something BIG. LOL:D

olegc
08-21-2003, 06:39 AM
of course- now that it's pulling a cart ODV can use it for all sorts of things :eek:

Maximus
08-21-2003, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by olegc
of course- now that it's pulling a cart ODV can use it for all sorts of things :eek:

:D :D :D That was great!

MammaSilva
08-21-2003, 07:53 AM
Neat pictures! But I have to admit, the first thing I thought of when I read 'pulling a cart' was ODV, the NEXT generation!

Disneyphile
08-21-2003, 08:16 AM
Hmmmm... yep, animatronic ODV CM's could work longer hours for no pay, and not complain! Eisner would love it.

Darkbeer
08-21-2003, 09:08 AM
Here is the schedule as I know it..... Of course, this Schedule IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE!!!!!

August 20, 21, 22, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 (yep, total of 8 days before being shipped to WDW!)

1:45 - 2:15 p.m.
3:45 - 4:15 p.m.
5:45 - 6:15 p.m.
7:15 - 7:45 p.m.

Lucky starts out at the Hollywood & Dine area...

cryan71
08-21-2003, 09:29 AM
This seems so out of place- I don't know where to begin.

olegc
08-21-2003, 10:13 AM
well, if I look at what Darkbeer wrote - essentially Disney California properties could become the "focus group test lab" for new things that will be moved to florida...

And, if you act now, you too can give your input by visiting a park that has nothing truly magical, staring, and then not seeing it ever again. Polly want a cracker?

Disneyphile
08-21-2003, 10:20 AM
Yep, to me it's like digging the knife a little deeper, like saying, "Here's yet another cool thing we're giving to WDW for DL's 50th! This way, you can see what you're going to miss out on even more!" :(

Lost Boy
08-21-2003, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the pictures and video. Laughing Place also has pictures and a couple of videos. It looks like something out of Dinotopia, which is ok, but I also was expecting a four legged monster after the Travel Channel. Also, I thought the Dinosaur had been announced several months ago as a new addition to DCA. Why is it being shipped to Florida. Something for Animal Kingdom's Dino Area? And why can't we see him on Saturday and Sunday. Rats. I guess Iwill have to ask whoever gets down there this week with a video camera to please let me know about getting a copy of him walking around so I can add it to my collection.