PDA

View Full Version : What I miss about Disneyland

UncleGDogWord
08-19-2003, 08:42 AM
Now, I know I may sound like a old man yelling at the kids to get off my grass and about how a nickel could buy you the world, but there are some elements of Disneyland that I truly miss.

Don't get me wrong I love the park. Going back in September, but I have a list and gosh darn it you'll listen. Dang kids!:D

1. I miss the red velvet rope across Main Street, USA. You go in and have a OJ from Sunkist maybe a pastry and wait for the voice (I know he was Tony the Tiger, but I am at a lost on his name) to welcome you to Disneyland. It was special, before the days of early admission and seeing the janitor power washing Frontierland down.

2. America Sings
I could sit there and watch it over and over again. Well, at least I have the sound track. There is someone with a Real Audio file floating around that is a complete video of the show.

3. The Country Bear Jamboree Presented by Pepsi
The last time I saw the bears was about two years ago and there was a line for it without a single E-ticket ride down. It was a very popular show, and in September I am going to check out the Pooh ride. I only hope it won't be a waste of time.

4. Tunnel of Tron

5. The park without a promotion going on. No special signs or setup, just the park as the park.

I know we will never get the past back, and those days of Disneyland are long gone. But I look at all the pictures from trips past and miss the park as I once remember it.

Disneyphile
08-19-2003, 08:53 AM
I'll add:

Tomorrowland in the early 80's:

White Space Mountain
The Tomorrowland Stage
The Submarine Voyage
The People Mover
Tomorrowland Terrace (I can't stand Club Buzz - it just makes it too "merchandisey".)
Rocket Jets
Adventure Thru Innerspace
America Sings
Skyway

dsnylndmom
08-19-2003, 09:27 AM
How funny I was just at the yesterland site reminicsing(sp)

I miss:
the People Mover(first ride I rode at WDW but it just wasn't th same

White Space Mountain

Adventure through Innerspace

Skull Rock

Pirate Ship restaurant
Motorboat cruise

The rocket Jets back ontop of the People mover queue where the belong

a Good parade

The old Disneyland sign

Animazement

The Subs

Riding in the Front on the Monorail

The Country Bears, esp. at Christmas

Oh and even though it's not Disneyland I'll add I REALLY miss the Beary Tales at Knott's!! :crying:

millionairegirl
08-19-2003, 10:44 AM
I miss spicy curly fries from the Harbour Galley

I miss the Big Thunder Ranch BBQ

I miss the Carnation Plaza Ice Cream kiosk

(Well, it is almost lunch time!)

I miss the people mover on a hot crowded day

I miss riding the skyway through the Matterhorn, and hearing Harold's growl

I don't miss the submarines or the Country Bear Jamboree,

I barely remember America Sings or Adventure Through Inner Space.

I wouldn't trade Indiana Jones for all the things on the list above

Mukta
08-19-2003, 10:47 AM
You guys read my mind.

UncleGDogWord, I totally understand. I think about the tunnel of Tron often.

Disneyphile, I miss the Tomorrowland Terrace too. Club Buzz just doesn't have the same feel to it.

dsnylndmom, I didn't realize Bear-y tales was gone until I visited last year. I was devastated. That was the best boysenberry/bear attraction ever! That new Peanuts thing they have doesn't cut it.

SteveK
08-19-2003, 11:41 AM
@UncleGDogWord

Check your PM's regarding something that might interest you for America Sings.

-Steve :D

UncleGDogWord
08-19-2003, 03:38 PM
One thing I do miss is the Sunkist and The Sundkist I Presume. Fresh lemonade and OJ and the best Lemon bars.

Well, at least I do not miss Captain EO. That Show blew!

I do remember my Grad Nite in 90 where we were on the People Mover and my Friend took Boba Fet I think or a Storm Troopers Gun and when we got to the Station there was Disney Finest and they were about to grab us and take us to Main Street Jail, but we pretended we didn't know him and were really ashamed of his actions and hope he would fry. They security let us go, but our friend was so ****ed he wouldn't talk to us tell well after our first year of college.

merlinjones
08-19-2003, 04:30 PM
I miss:

Skyway rides over the parade route and through the Matterhorn caverns

Polynesian dinner and firedancers at Tahitian Terrace, Planter's Punch and hula girls

Corny jokes of the vaudeville era and high stepping can-can girls at the Golden Horseshoe Revue

Flying high above Tomorrowland in rocket jets on a starry night.

Night cruises on the Mark Twain

The stylized Earle/Anderson/Coats designed dioramas of Sleeping Beauty Castle

A nice burger in Carnation Plaza Gardens

The Main Steet Electrical Parade in a Magic Kingdom

The Christmas Candlelight ceremony and concert in Town Square

The gleaming moonscape of ultramodern Tomorrowland

The sinking shrinking melodrama of Adventure Thru Inner Space

The feeling of air conditioned vents in your face as you experience a Submarine Voyage

The open air arena of Tomorrwland's Space Stage as Big Name performers entertain

The gleaming white spire of Space mountain

The patriotic swell of America the Beautiful in CircleVision 360. The air conditioned theatre itself.

Speakerphone conversations

Doing the Swisskapolka in the Swiss Family Treehouse

Big Al's wailing of Blood on the Saddle in Country Bear Jamboree

Shooting rifles at passing boats from Tom Sawyer Island

The view of fireworks from the deck of Captain Hook's Pirate Ship.

The lovely cascading falls of Cascade Peak

The feeling that Disney will do anything to exceed customer expectations.

Captain Josh
08-19-2003, 06:47 PM
I finally thought of something I really miss.

Why doesn't Mickey (or anyone, for that matter) climb The Matterhorn anymore? It was a fun gimmick, and it needs to come back.

cemeinke
08-19-2003, 07:26 PM
Bring back Hans & Otto!

Lashbear
08-19-2003, 07:59 PM
I miss EVERYTHING in DL, cos I'm stuck here in Australia ! :(

tonyrr1
08-21-2003, 06:56 AM
Oh man, what a topic. Ok, here goes...

> The Peoplemover over Adventure Thru Inner Space, through the World of Tron, then running all through Tomorrowland, next to the Monorail, and through the Circlevision 360 Theather lobby.

> Catching the Skyway from Fantasyland, looking down on the carousel, checking out the bobsled riders inside the Matterhorn, and arriving at Tomorrowland, then grabbing a new hat at Hatmosphere on the way out.

> Making sure to ride both versions of Autopia before the day was out.

> Enjoying the underwater view from the submarines and trying to convince myself it was still real as I got older, especially the mermaids.

> ALWAYS hiking up through the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse and liking the polka music (I'm whistling it right now).

> Dinner at Big Thunder Ranch BBQ... As a young, growing male, I absolutely LOVED all that food!

> Country Bear Jamboree... I loved that show since I was knee-high to a grasshopper, and I was very sorry to see it go.

> The Haunted Mansion when people didn't make so much noisy racket in the entrace foyer and in the stretching room so you could enjoy the creepy narration. "When hinges creak in doorless chambers, and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls. When candlelights flicker, where the air is deathly still..." Good stuff.

There's lots more, I just have to have more time to think and reflect on them. Ah for the good ol' days...

-Tony

UncleGDogWord
09-10-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by tonyrr1

> Enjoying the underwater view from the submarines and trying to convince myself it was still real as I got older, especially the mermaids.

Riding the Subs at night. That was like the best when I was a kid. The lagoon was all lit up. Everything was so sharp in contrast.

PapiBear
09-10-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones
I miss:

Skyway rides over the parade route and through the Matterhorn caverns

Polynesian dinner and firedancers at Tahitian Terrace, Planter's Punch and hula girls

Corny jokes of the vaudeville era and high stepping can-can girls at the Golden Horseshoe Revue

Flying high above Tomorrowland in rocket jets on a starry night.

Night cruises on the Mark Twain

The stylized Earle/Anderson/Coats designed dioramas of Sleeping Beauty Castle

A nice burger in Carnation Plaza Gardens

The Main Steet Electrical Parade in a Magic Kingdom

The Christmas Candlelight ceremony and concert in Town Square

The gleaming moonscape of ultramodern Tomorrowland

The sinking shrinking melodrama of Adventure Thru Inner Space

The feeling of air conditioned vents in your face as you experience a Submarine Voyage

The open air arena of Tomorrwland's Space Stage as Big Name performers entertain

The gleaming white spire of Space mountain

The patriotic swell of America the Beautiful in CircleVision 360. The air conditioned theatre itself.

Speakerphone conversations

Doing the Swisskapolka in the Swiss Family Treehouse

Big Al's wailing of Blood on the Saddle in Country Bear Jamboree

Shooting rifles at passing boats from Tom Sawyer Island

The view of fireworks from the deck of Captain Hook's Pirate Ship.

The lovely cascading falls of Cascade Peak

The feeling that Disney will do anything to exceed customer expectations.

Merlin, your post made me cry. :crying:

I miss every one of those things. Every one of them.

Even though he passed just a few months after I was born....

I miss Walt.

zapppop
09-10-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by dsnylndmom
I miss:
the People Mover(first ride I rode at WDW but it just wasn't th same
**COUGH** 2008

White Space Mountain
**HACK** COUGH**COUGH ** 2005

Oh this darn cold !
:p :geek: ;)

Captain Josh
09-11-2003, 01:37 PM
Not so much that I miss it, but the the "News Stand" at the entrance ever really used to be a news stand? I swear there used to be magazines there.....