PDA

View Full Version : TOT version for DCA will be cheap!!!!

JPirate23
08-29-2001, 05:57 PM
i just saw this on themparkadventure.com and thought u guys would like to see how the tower version here in dca will be.

"Tower is known as "Tower Lite" at Walt Disney Imagineering due to the fact that it is a watered-down version of the Florida favorite. There is currently no "Fifth Dimension" that the ride vehicles travel through and the show is scaled back as well. So, does that mean that Disney really wants to give people its best? If so, why a watered-down version of the attraction that we've been begging for? Wouldn't the company want to create a second generation of Tower that is even more impressive than the original? Isn't the goal always to advance, bringing forth bigger and better product for guests to enjoy? If, in fact, Disney does proceed with Tower Lite for DCA, they are in for a very rude reception by guests and fans alike that feel California's parks are getting the royal shaft by the company these days."

CTB21
08-29-2001, 06:16 PM
If they plan on building a cheap TOT it will fit right in to DCA ,the 99 cent store and Pic n save of theme parks.

Cadaverous Pallor
08-29-2001, 07:53 PM
AUGH! YEOOWWWAAAAAHHHH! ERRRROOOOAAAAAHHHHH!

<pant, pant> Whew, sorry about that, just blowing off some steam.

We're doomed. All doomed. Disneyland is doomed. Unless a miracle happens, things are just going to get worse and worse.

:(

Why couldn't I have been born 10 years earlier, so that my peak in Disney interest peaked along with the company?

I dream of the day that someone comes in and takes over this mess and fixes it up, much like Eisner did in 1984. Someone, someone, SOMEONE OUT THERE CAN FIX THIS. WHERE ARE THEY???

Maybe someday, the dream that I wish will come true.

zapppop
08-29-2001, 08:06 PM
Being cheap is what got them into this mess.
I doubt it's gonna get them out.

DisneyFreak2000
08-29-2001, 10:21 PM
Can you link us to the article?

JPirate23
08-29-2001, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by DisneyFreak2000
Can you link us to the article?

http://www.themeparkadventure.com/

just go to the mail room and then there is a question about dca and stuff and u'll find it there:)

Ralph Wiggum
08-29-2001, 10:36 PM
http://www.themeparkadventure.com/mail.htm#dca

look at the second one on 8/29/01

I hope this is not true....I think instead of twilight zone they should use the elevator thing from Who Framed Roger Rabbit with Droopy!!

DisneyFreak2000
08-29-2001, 10:48 PM
Being I've never been on TOT at WDW, what is the fifth dimension effect?

80S ERA
08-30-2001, 08:45 AM
The TOT budget has been cut even more. The new design will consist of a 3-foot terrifying drop. The structure will be an exposed-beam, unpainted structure. Signs for the ride will be written in pencil and crayon in order to save additional funds. On the bright side, guests will exit the ride through a 5-story merchandise shop.

"Be careful what you wish for..":D

mad4mky
08-30-2001, 08:58 AM
This is so sad...and discouraging.
My fav ride at WDW is Tower of Terror. I love it. I was excited to see it come here (course, if they keep giving us
WDW rides...I will have no reason to go spend my money there...another mistake on their part).
But, if its going to be a watered down version, why do they even bother. So sad...sad....sad.
If any of you have not been to the one at WDW, the concept, and creativity of it is outstanding. The 5th demension is really a unique thing.

Well, my husband and I were talking about a trip to Italy...but now I might try to convence im to change plans to
a trip to Tokyo....and DisneySea. I have never wanted to go to Japan. But...a change might be coming soon to our plans.

Ralph Wiggum
08-30-2001, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by DisneyFreak2000
Being I've never been on TOT at WDW, what is the fifth dimension effect?

SPOILER~~~~~SPOILER~~~~~SPOILER~~~~~SPOILER~~~~~SP OILER~~~~~SPOILER~~~~~SPOILER~~~~~SPOILER~~~~~SPOI LER~~~~~SPOILER~~~~~SPOILER~~~~~SPOILER~~~~~SPOILE R~~~~~SPOILER~~~~~SPOILER~~~~~SPOILER~~~~~SPOILER~ ~~~~SPOILER~~~~~SPOILER~~~~~SPOILER~~~~~SPOILER~~~ ~~SPOILER~~~~~SPOILER~~~~~SPOILER~~~~~

At one point in the ride your elevator car goes up to a floor and the doors open. Here is where the fifth demention(i believe) comes into play..your elevator car moves forward and you travel through wierd stuff flying around you(kinda like the opening of the show with the hour glass and the blinking eye). about 20 feet later you stop and nothing happens for a few seconds. Then you drop about a foot...wait a second and then you DROP!!!

END SPOILER~~~~~END SPOILER~~~~~END SPOILER~~~~~END SPOILER~~~~~END SPOILER~~~~~END SPOILER~~~~~END SPOILER~~~~~END SPOILER~~~~~END SPOILER~~~~~END SPOILER~~~~~END SPOILER~~~~~END SPOILER~~~~~END SPOILER~~~~~END SPOILER~~~~~

beanpole
08-30-2001, 10:46 AM
***** Spoilers Ahead*******

Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but I don't believe that TOT can be built without the 5th Dimension sequence. The ride vehicles follow a circular route that enables them to use separate tracks for rising and for falling. Without the horizontal movement that takes place in the 5th Dimension, the elevators would have to drop directly into the loading zone. Sounds like a safety hazard to me.

Since the sight of dropping elevators provides a visual marquee that entices guests to head towards the ride, the elevators would have to load in the front of the ride, rather than the back. That would eliminate the possibility of including the exciting show environments that TOT provides as the elevators climb to the top of the hotel (like the ghost floor).

Such a radically different design from WDW's TOT would surely require an expensive (and impractical) total redesign of the show. Disney wouldn't benefit from the cost savings derived from cloning a ride that is a time-proven crowd pleaser. Instead, they'd end up with a dressed-up version of Maliboomer.

Ralph Wiggum
08-30-2001, 10:55 AM
I think you have a good point there. It WOULD just be a dressed up version of Maliboomer and hopefully Disney is smarter than that. I still have faith that we will get the version of TOT that we all want and will love!!

merlinjones
08-30-2001, 12:23 PM
The journey through the fifth dimension is one of the highlights of the ride at WDW and one of things that pushes it over-the-edge into greatness.

The amazing detail on the hotel itself (inside and out) is another - - I'll bet they are planning a skimpy "backlot" false front hotel for DCA instead to match their cheap park?

Nigel2
08-30-2001, 12:35 PM
Knowing them, they probably take you up, and the whole damn building is a shop, and that's the "terror" element, not a 13 story fall, a 2 hour wait in line only to realinze that you waited to get into a store. Also someone actually thinks they might try to make a hotel in the building, I mean thats impossible, unless you want a really short room, since I belive they use force perspecive on it, that and the sound of the elevators falling/being pushed down the shaft.

Napsto
08-31-2001, 10:36 PM
i hope it is as good as the one you guys love.

DisneylandBoy
09-01-2001, 11:52 AM
Themeparkadventure.com has had many stories in the past that are untrue. Since this has happened, I haven't really belived anything they say. For Disney to scale back TOT would cost more money than it would to just put in the TOT WDW has now. So . . . we'll have to see, but I dobut they will scale it back.

JRob2k1
09-01-2001, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by DisneyLvr
For Disney to scale back TOT would cost more money than it would to just put in the TOT WDW has now

No offense, but that doesnt make a lick of sense...

The whole point of "scaling back" is to...scale back! (i.e. show effects and other thematic issues that cost a lot of money) So Disney obviously saves money because they take the exact same design from WDW, then take away the most expensive effects and theming...Now if the ride was changed, design wise, then it would cost more. But if Disney just scaled back, they would save money on the overall cost to build TOT when compared to WDW. But this would be a VERY unwise move for Disney if they did this because it would just be one more example for critics and such to prove how cost-cutting is prominent throughout DCA.

Disney needs a big E-Ticket, with all the bells and whistles. While I would prefer a totally original E-Ticket, a full-sclae TOT would help for a couple years.

-JRob

Mr D
09-01-2001, 11:29 PM
If I may make a small suggestion, why not check out what TDS has in Port Discovery, its called Stormrider and from what I hear its a really fantastic simulator, if there was to be something unique in a way why not build this in DCA? Its that or the "Mission Space" ride being built at WDW.

Nigel2
09-03-2001, 01:41 PM
In essence you would think that there would be no need to scale back ToT since they could basically are doing what they did with every other flipin' clone in the park, just altering the line a little, or added a different effect. Too bad we can't get a test track put in, odds are they would scale that back too, for example, they would not put a door at the end of the crash test, instead they would put a brick wall. :D

Mr D
09-03-2001, 04:53 PM
Read this Ei$ner, put in Stormrider at DCA..........(but really it should be in Tomorrowland)