PDA

View Full Version : It's an insult, that's what it is [WDW primacy over DL]

tod
08-17-2003, 05:44 PM
I was in the exit lobby of Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln taking respite from the oppressive heat waiting for the little tods and I was looking at the Freedoms mural and I saw the great big picture of Walt and there he was smiling and there was Mickey and there were maybe a hundred line drawings of characters and there in the background was a big nighttime shot of a dramatically lit castle and IT WAS THE WALT DISNEY WORLD MAGIC KINGDOM CASTLE!!

You would THINK that in DISNEYLAND they could actually USE A PAINTING OF THE DISNEYLAND CASTLE.

You would think....

--T
:mad:

cryan71
08-17-2003, 08:07 PM
I am starting my hunger strike right now! Who's with me?

Laffite
08-17-2003, 08:33 PM
The and problem is???

Walt Disney World is still Walt Disney's vision.

Nigel2
08-17-2003, 08:46 PM
How old was the mural again?

zapppop
08-17-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Laffite
The and problem is???

Walt Disney World is still Walt Disney's vision.

How ?

He only agreed to build Magic Kingdom in order to build Epcot and as soon as he died so did any plans for Epcot.

The Magic Kingdom Park was something he was against and had no creative input in making.

So what makes you think WDW is Walt's vision ?

ryguy
08-17-2003, 11:43 PM
Disneyland will always be his O.G., the one and only his first dream for a theme park. WDW was an extension of this dream to create a bigger verison of his succesful theme park. You cant mess with perfection and you cant recreate a master peice and to me thats what Disneyland is a Big work of art

danyoung
08-18-2003, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by zapppop
How ?

He only agreed to build Magic Kingdom in order to build Epcot and as soon as he died so did any plans for Epcot.

The Magic Kingdom Park was something he was against and had no creative input in making.

So what makes you think WDW is Walt's vision ?

It always cracks me up to hear Epcot described as "the culmination of Walt's dream". It so wasn't, much as I enjoy Epcot as it ended up.

disneydreamer1
08-18-2003, 08:03 AM
In WDW there are places where Sleeping Beauty Castle is seen. Cinderella Castle and Sleeping Beauty Castle are both beautiful in different ways, the same way that DL and the Magic Kingdom are. I honestly think Walt would be very proud to see how his vision is now reality and how it has been expanded and improved on.

tod
08-18-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by danyoung
It always cracks me up to hear Epcot described as "the culmination of Walt's dream". It so wasn't, much as I enjoy Epcot as it ended up.

The Experimental Prototype Community Of Tommorrow was Walt's dream -- a place where people could live with all the modern comveniences. The "EPCOT Center" at WDW is something else entirely, with the same name.

Originally posted by disneydreamer1
In WDW there are places where Sleeping Beauty Castle is seen.

FWIW, I wouldn't much care for that, either. Celebrate where you're at.

--T
:fez:

GREGOR
08-18-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by tod
The Experimental Prototype Community Of Tommorrow was Walt's dream -- a place where people could live with all the modern comveniences. The "EPCOT Center" at WDW is something else entirely, with the same name.

It's not quite the same name. Disney very wisely changed the name/spelling from EPCOT to Epcot to distance themselves from the acronym that no longer fit. Now, Epcot doesn't mean anything. It's just a proper noun.

tod
08-18-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by GREGOR
It's not quite the same name. Disney very wisely changed the name/spelling from EPCOT to Epcot to distance themselves from the acronym that no longer fit. Now, Epcot doesn't mean anything. It's just a proper noun.

Good point, and I stand corrected. (I have a vague memory of old promo stuff that said "EPCOT Center" but I just checked the Website and it's cetrainly "Epcot" now.)

But it's corporate b.s.-speak to say that letter combinations that used to mean something don't any more becaue the corporate p.r. people say so. IBM, CBS, SCM, NCR and NBC all had words behind them before some business major decided it didn't matter any more.

--T
:fez:
still not giving his business-major definition

innerSpaceman
08-18-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by zapppop
How ? He only agreed to build Magic Kingdom in order to build Epcot and as soon as he died so did any plans for Epcot. The Magic Kingdom Park was something he was against and had no creative input in making.
I wouldn't say that's exactly true. In a revealing interview with Art Linkletter that appears in the most recent issue of [u]The E Ticket[u], Mr. Linkletter relates a conversation he once had with Walt which clearly indicates that Walt wanted to do Disneyland over, but better. Better in the sense of making the place a little bit bigger, but mostly better in the sense of not having the city and its blights crowding the gates of the Magic Kingdom. These sentiments of Walt's can also be found from many other sources.

That being said, however, Walt had nothing to do with anything but the size and location of the Magic Kingdom in Florida. He had no input on the actual design work - and it is, for the most part, clearly substandard as compared with Disneyland and thus a perversion of Walt's intentions.

It is true, also, that Walt's main passion behind the Florida Project was Epcot. Never in his life was he a much of a man for sequels or remakes. His interests kept moving on to the next and better thing. Much of the stuff I have read about Walt's last years, and many of the his quotes from those days, seem to indicate that the Magic Kingdom was to the the draw, the wienie, that would allow the much more ambitious Epcot to be created.

Captain Josh
08-18-2003, 04:35 PM
heh, did any of you catch last Sunday's episode of The Simpsons? They went to Epcot, and tore a satiracle hole straight through it.

danyoung
08-19-2003, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
That being said, however, Walt had nothing to do with anything but the size and location of the Magic Kingdom in Florida. He had no input on the actual design work - and it is, for the most part, clearly substandard as compared with Disneyland and thus a perversion of Walt's intentions.

Wow - spoken with a generous dose of true west coast snobbery. I'm not sure how many visits you've made to the Florida park. It is different, and on a straight comparison there are many charming things in the Anaheim version that may not have made it to the MK. But to say that it's clearly substandard is just silly. The MK has the Hall of Presidents, for one thing, and a working Tomorrowland for another. I love both places, and if I had to pick one, I'd pick Disneyland. But they're both pretty cool.