PDA

View Full Version : DCA's Golden Dreams

Pages : [1] 2

Disney Crone/Kid
08-29-2001, 01:22 PM
Yesterday, I was just talking with someone who couldn't stop RAVING about this film over at Disneyland California Adventure. She said it was....INSPIRING, that it was not only historically educational and political correct (highlighted California's ethnic/cultural diversity), while entertaining.

She is a (rare) California native, and she said it was a moving experience that made her bursting with pride as a native daughter; she couldn't wait to share this experience with her kids, so they too could better appreciate their home state, maybe even be proud of being Californians.

California is my adopted home state, and I love living here. Her rave is propelling me over to the park tonight.

Funny, I haven't anything about it here on The Pad. What are your thoughts/impressions of "Golden Dreams" ?

Also, does anyone know its schedule? Any tips for the best viewing experience? Thanks in advance.

80S ERA
08-29-2001, 01:31 PM
Although I feel the film was well done with some good music, I cannot help but to feel disappointed like many others who know the background of this attraction.

"Golden Dreams" was originally supposed to be titled "Circle of Hands" with a far more detailed concept. The original design planned for the use of animatronic figures and was to be presented in a similar fashion as Carousel of Progress and the former America Sings. This concept fell victim of budget cuts and became limited to the simple "movie" it is today.

With that said, I cannot help to think about how much better the show could have been in a park with far too many movies.

MickeyD
08-29-2001, 01:47 PM
I really like Golden Dreams. I always get kinda teary at the end. I'm a sentimental sap, though.

Doodle Duck
08-29-2001, 01:48 PM
As a 'rare' California Native (Long beach) I get my inspiration from the reality of this States wonders...
The beaches...the Redwoods...Sierras...the incredible unmatched variety of stuff to do (Natural and Manmade) in the widely diverse & wonderful weather, best on the planet.

The LEAST of this State is it's prediliction to foster Political Corectness. P.U. not P.C. and its foolish politics.
An embarassment.

Having said that...I enjoyed the movie in its ORIGINAL form. Have yet to hear much on how it has been changed or the affect on the impact of it. Don't care much about what it COULD have been prior to budget cuts...but what it WAS was pretty fine.

I'd make a bet here though..you'll like it as a diversion from the Tortilla Tour.
Give us a report!

Nigel2
08-29-2001, 01:57 PM
Its on like every 20 minutes, and anywhere is a good seat. I am also a native cali. I liked it, if they do make it beter like more advanced I want them to keep the statues, they are actually kinda cool. I dont know if anamatronic would be really really good, it would almost seem like a rip off of the American Experience at EPCOT.

rexfarms
08-29-2001, 02:23 PM
I like it too...... Makes me proud to live in the best state in the Union (IMHO)

Nigel2
08-29-2001, 02:32 PM
It is the best state in the union, we could actually suceed and be almost completely self suffecent, well before the energy crisis. This is due to the fact that we are actually an agricultural state.

mad4mky
08-29-2001, 02:49 PM
I too am a California Native...but no city raised girl here. Raised in the gold country...Coloma was my back yard, so the gold rush stuff was interesting. (and at least they got James Marshall's name right. I heard him named John so many times I could scream!) Overall I enjoyed the movie....first time. We saw it back in late Feb...late in the evening. It was nice to get out of the cold. Again, the movie was good...but, once is enough. Been there, done that. I have no desire to go back.

But, we took the kids to DCA for the first time in May though. Since we now live in the S.F Bay Area, I thought the girls might enjoyseeing it since its in a building that is a replica of The Palace of Fine Arts. As all three of them put it "not another movie! We didn't come here to see movies...we want to go on rides". Little did they know that we HAD already gone on all the rides (and it was only a little after noon!).

Like I said, I went to DCA for my first time in late Feb. I had Disney Expectations...I did not read anything about it, good or bad. I was so disappointed. I told my family and friends it was like a "Disneyfied Great America" (a theme park in Santa Clara, Ca...which we hate to go to...only when we have to). So its been interesting to hear other people who agree with me. This trip down had been a Christmas gift from my husband...and besides getting to go to DL, the best thing about the trip was getting to stay three glorious nights at The Grand Californian. Since we are frequent guests at DL...DCA won't get our money again...unless there are some major changes...Period.
And I guess this little tirade should be in the DCA Horror thread...oops.

Nigel2
08-29-2001, 03:04 PM
Speaking of whatever, I wondered if anything for soarin and golden dreams was shot in O.C. Besides the disneyland shot. but I doubt it, there are few orange groves left in OC, and one of them is actually owned by a community college, which is fun to drive by when the trees are blosoming, it smells so good

80S ERA
08-30-2001, 08:54 AM
Again, it is a good film. But as I mentioned on another post, IMAX's "Wild Adventures in California" is a far more enjoyable insight of our state from a thrill-seeker's perspective. The movie even features a clip inside of Disneyland! It previews places like sequoia, palm springs, san diego, and others great sights our state has to offer.

I know - apples to oranges!! Golden Dreams provides an emotion-filled history lesson while Wild Adventures takes you on a thrilling and inspiring sight-seeing tour.

Ralph Wiggum
08-30-2001, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Nigel2
Speaking of whatever, I wondered if anything for soarin and golden dreams was shot in O.C. Besides the disneyland shot. but I doubt it, there are few orange groves left in OC, and one of them is actually owned by a community college, which is fun to drive by when the trees are blosoming, it smells so good

Don't know if you are talking about Irvine Valley College but even those orange groves are being ripped up for development. Not only that but they are dying anyways. Very sad. I remember when half of Irvine was Orange groves.....that was only like 15 years ago...very sad

Now...In regards to Golden Dreams. I went to the park last week to meet zappop after I left him I was suppose to meet up with my brother but he couldnt make it. I decided to check out GOlden Dreams. When DCA first opened alot of people ripped on the show so I never went and saw it. Man was that a mistake. I loved it. It was inspiring and really done well. The only complaint I had was Whoopie's parts in the actually movie. I thought she was great for the statue things on the side of the screen but when she was in the movie it was lame. She ruined the movie with her "magic touch, I'll make everything okay" stuff.

P.S. I agree with doodle as far as judging the quality of this attraction by what was in the works in early productions. This attraction is great. If it were bad then I could see complaining about "what it could have been", but even then its almost pointless!

Cadaverous Pallor
08-30-2001, 09:36 AM
There are some more thoughts on Golden Dreams in the DCA day thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1885).

80S ERA
08-30-2001, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
P.S. I agree with doodle as far as judging the quality of this attraction by what was in the works in early productions. This attraction is great. If it were bad then I could see complaining about "what it could have been", but even then its almost pointless!

Pointless, maybe. But Ralph and Doodle, you guys have to admit that this is a park with already wayyy too many movies! The reason I had my gripe about "what could have been" is because the original concept would have gave us "more than just a movie" in a park lacking quality attractions.

As far as golden dreams is concerned, I enjoyed it. However, I have no desire to watch it again, unless it were with someone who has not seen it before.

Bottom line: Its a good movie. But its still JUST A MOVIE. Not a simulator, not 3D, not 360 circlevision, and not an IMAX....just a plain ol' conventional movie..

Ralph Wiggum
08-30-2001, 10:10 AM
I see your point and I would agree that DCA has too many movies. But I feel this is like the Lincoln of DCA. Sure there is not AA but they do have that great effect with whoopie and the two statues. None the less, your point is well taken.

Nigel2
08-30-2001, 01:21 PM
Yep those are the oragnes that I am talking about, but for the needs of GDs if there were afew center ones they could park a truck and presto we have Cezar Chavez's scene. But why didn't they do that in a grape field? You know the grape boycott, or was that the area he gave that speech in? I can think of an area that has healthy orange trees in it that actually could be the one for Soarin' or GD, but I am proably wrong.

Disney Crone/Kid
09-03-2001, 05:13 PM
To sum up Golden Dreams in one word:meaningful

In two: ... educational,

In three: .... moving .

I was saddened for the original inhabitants, the Chumash Indians, who had peacefully lived in harmony with nature on the (unpolluted) shores of California for 13,000 years, before their land was stumbled upon by others. Many died of the diseases brought by these outsiders. Those that survived lost their language and way of life.

I was in awe of those who achieved the "impossible" in engineering, sports, science, and agriculture. They held on to their dreams, fought on, crossed their fingers, and made them come true. I was inspired.

I was appreciative of the sacrifices and enduring of harsh conditions by the immigrants who came to California in search of a better life for themselves and their families. Because of their efforts, I /we live the better life they were so desperately seeking.

Because of them, we have the luxuries of leisure time, a Disneyland, a DCA, and the sharing our thoughts on a message board on resorts (!)....

IMHO, Golden Dreams is the most profound attraction in DCA, par with Disneyland's Abraham Lincoln. They make for a good balance in their respective parks.

As in life, there's fun and fantasy...and then there are loftier goals and values.

"Golden Dreams" shows us there is nobility in living.

ishthroat
09-03-2001, 07:02 PM
I went to DCA back in Jan. for Disney Employee Preview (I dont work with company anymore though) :(

Golden Dreams has been tweaked since then. In the original verison Chinese rail workers (the father & son) are blow up
and the explosion is shown quiet vividly. Now the you don't
hear the explosing and the scene dissolves into the next setting.

It's pretty obvious this was done to take the edge of it. I must
say when my girlfriend and I first saw we were startled and shocked...and we both knew it would get edited before the public
was let in.

"Ish" the guy

Nigel2
09-03-2001, 09:54 PM
It did make it to the pubic in it's original form, and played in its original form for like 2 months before it was toned down.

zapppop
09-03-2001, 10:05 PM
I was pleasantly surprised by this attraction. I was told by a friend that it and SuperStar Limo were the 2 worst attractions in the park, so I avoided Golden Dreams for a while. One day I was trying to think of a way to kill some time before the Main Street Electrical Parade started so I decided just for the heck of it to see Golden Dreams. It was much better than I was expecting.

My only complaint about Golden Dreams is the ballad. Towards the end, there's a pop ballad that in my opinion, is too corny and boring. Perhaps if they shortened it, it wouldn't bother me.

MickeyD
09-03-2001, 10:43 PM
When I saw the show in June (I think it was) with the toned down explosion scene, I was pleasantly surprised. The unedited version was too "real" for my taste. It did segue nicely to the steam from the train, though. Also, ballad at the end of the movie is my favorite part of the movie. It is pretty corny, but like I said, I'm a sap.

Uncle Dick
02-25-2002, 09:00 AM
As someone who generally detests political correctness in all forms, I thought Golden Dreams did a decent job of showcasing all the minorities that make up the state (California is a diverse place!) without beating us over the head about how evil the white man is. In fact, the entire film goes from a B - ticket to a C - ticket just for showing good ol' Steve Jobs preview the first Apple computer, a beautiful moment for any Apple afficionado. The entire film had a kind of "4th grade history class review" feel to it, which brought back all sorts of memories of the good ol' days.

I have two rather big problems with it, however. The first is the aforementioned song at the end. It's awful. Every time it comes around, I just close my eyes and hunch down in my seat in a vain attempt to avoid it. I've actually considered just getting up and leaving at that point, but it's never come to that. My second complaint is the queue area. It's boring as heck. The high walls around you block out any sort of view you could possibly have and the long time between shows means you have a lot of time to ponder what you could have been doing instead. My suggestion: cut the ending song. Not only will it put every in the theater out of their misery, it will also cut down the waiting time to a manageable interval.

wonderful
02-25-2002, 10:30 PM
I am glad to hear so many good reviews of Golden Dreams...
It "is" the Lincoln of DCA and, just like Lincoln, is entitled to a corny song (although I must say that "One Dream" is MUCH better than that dumb "Two Brothers" song... thank God it's history!)... and speaking of that corny song, i think the song is long because the montage is needed... SO much is in those last few minutes, including Walt...
Now, I agree with those who say it isn't fair to judge an attraction on what WAS intended... which is why, even though I am as bad as anyone, I tend to think "insider scoops" are a double-edged sword. Think how disipointed many folks would've been in say the Jungle Cruise, the Tiki Room, or the Matterhorn had they known what WAS planned! Truth is, we were better off in the long run... and I am not sure if throwing a dozen extremely expensive autio-animatrons into a history show would be a wise idea... as far as I know, there are very good reasons why the Carrousel of Progress and America Sings are history (and mind you, I LOVED both shows... even though I only saw carrousel on video).
Golden Dreams is one of my favorite things to see at DCA and I sure hope we keep it... cause there's always a chance of losing it...

Fancy Pants
02-25-2002, 10:35 PM
It's a good movie. Very moving and inspiring.

Could use less Whoopi though.

And I've seen American Adventure show, and that thing is beyond unbearably boring.

Nigel2
02-25-2002, 10:43 PM
Ooooohhhh you beter borrow my asbestos suit if you go on the WDW thread.:D

Uncle Dick
02-25-2002, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by wonderful
I am glad to hear so many good reviews of Golden Dreams...
It "is" the Lincoln of DCA and, just like Lincoln, is entitled to a corny song (although I must say that "One Dream" is MUCH better than that dumb "Two Brothers" song... thank God it's history!)...

Not a chance. "Just One Dream" is just plain awful. First of all, it just won't end unlike "Two Brothers" which was relatively short. Secondly, the speakers that play the song are way too loud. It's one thing to have to sit through a bad song, but when it's played at such a high volume, the brainnumbing effects become considerably more pronounced. Finally, I just like "Two Brothers" better. The words have a much greater effect on me than the rather generic "we will finish everything we start" of "Just One Dream".

and speaking of that corny song, i think the song is long because the montage is needed... SO much is in those last few minutes, including Walt...

I don't think the montage is necessary at all. I think Al summed it up very nicely in his review:
The big finale montage - complete with a huge dramatic ballad where they seem to be trying to duplicate the "Golden Dream" sequence from American Adventure at Epcot - has so much stuff popped in and out (from the Rodney King beating to the Carpenters, from Harvey Milk to Sonny Bono) that it comes across more like some huge "state history highlights" checklist was used instead of being a truly moving ending. The special Olympics footage to me seemed especially manipulative.
I agree. But if a boring and manipulative ending montage was really necessary, couldn't they have found a better song? Really, anything would be better than what they have now.

Just my opinion. :)