PDA

View Full Version : Tired of Bad News!

Pages : [1] 2

Duane
08-14-2003, 08:42 AM
I'll admit that Disney is my favorite place to visit in the whole world. I really am disappointed with the constant bad news related to Disney which are frequently transmitted on the internet. I would like to hear about the good things that are taking place. Let's all put less emphasis on the weaknesses!

halestorm
08-14-2003, 09:26 AM
I'm sorry to say that you won’t find much positive stuff on mouseplanet. Especially the boards :(

Andrew
08-14-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by halestorm
I'm sorry to say that you won’t find much positive stuff on mouseplanet.

Except of course for this (http://www.mouseplanet.com/mark/mg030813.htm) and this (http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm030807as.htm) and this (http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm030807lp.htm) and this (http://www.mouseplanet.com/merchandise/aam030806lt.htm) and this (http://www.mouseplanet.com/sue_holland/sh030711.htm). And that's just in the last couple of weeks. As a news site, we do our best to be neither positive nor negative but objective.

Especially the boards :(

Except of course for this (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18947) and this (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19227) and this (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19076) and this (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18732) and this (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19136). And that's just in the last couple of days. As members of the MousePad community, you (plural) are responsible for the tone of the discussion here. If you (singular) want to see more positive discussion, post something positive.

I'd like to finally put to bed the rumor that MousePlanet is a "negative" site. The evidence is just not there.

Duane
08-14-2003, 09:36 AM
Halestorm-I agree with your opinion related to the news and views here on the discussion board. I am curious as to why a bunch of Disney lovers like to seek out the negative aspects of such a wonderful place.

HBTiggerFan
08-14-2003, 09:50 AM
Well Duane,
Some of us love Disneyland so much that it pains us to see the sad state of disrepair the park is in.

See Andrews post for positive stuff :)

Uncle Dick
08-14-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Duane
I am curious as to why a bunch of Disney lovers like to seek out the negative aspects of such a wonderful place.
Because you can only discuss the more permanent (and wonderful) aspects of Disneyland so many times. "What's your favorite attraction?" and "So, how 'bout them fireworks?" threads get boring after a while. Disney lovers like to discuss what's new and upcoming, the things that are changing rather than those that always have and probably always will be there.

Unfortunately, a lot of the changes around Disneyland lately (and I think Tomorrowland '98 is the linchpin in this argument) haven't been too positive. Hence, the focus can be quite negative at times.

If you'd like to discuss some of the more positive aspects of the DLR (and there are many), feel free to start some positive threads. I might even stop by and say hi. :)

Not Afraid
08-14-2003, 11:50 AM
Tired of bad news? Then write to your favorite Disney executive and ask them to improve the situation. Most of here are not ones to lie down and just weep for things gone wrong.

Bill Catherall
08-14-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Duane
I am curious as to why a bunch of Disney lovers like to seek out the negative aspects of such a wonderful place. I think you know why. I've seen you do that very thing right here on these boards.

I'm Starting With The Man In The Mirror
I'm Asking Him To Change His Ways
And No Message Could Have Been Any Clearer
If You Wanna Make The World A Better Place
Take A Look At Yourself, And Then Make A Change
--Michael Jackson, Man in the Mirror

If you don't want to do that then Not Afraid's advise is always good. ;)

millionairegirl
08-14-2003, 12:51 PM
Speaking of negative, why is there no article from Al today? I didn't realize I was hooked until I checked Miceage at 7:00 this morning!

innerSpaceman
08-14-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick
Because you can only discuss the more permanent (and wonderful) aspects of Disneyland so many times ... Disney lovers like to discuss what's new and upcoming, the things that are changing rather than those that always have and probably always will be.
I seem to recall the last good thing at the resort being the restoration of It's a Small World. I (and others) raved about it on the boards.

Can someone name me some other good thing that has been done at the resort since January?

(Mmmm, love those new lemonade stands!)

When there's good news, we'll talk about good news.

millionairegirl
08-14-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman

Can someone name me some other good thing that has been done at the resort since January?

* I adore the new TSI
* The west (or is it east :confused:) side of the park was spiffied up for the Pirates premier, and I think it still looks great
* A new dark ride, which I'm convinced will remain a classic for the younger set (Pooh...)
*Influx of characters everywhere you look
*Aladdin show
*Cheesecake on a stick (Ok I won't eat it, but someone must like it?)
*The revamping of the caroussel, which also looks fantastic
*The 'new' Matterhorn, Ok I didn't really notice a difference, but something must have changed...

See, they *are* working on the park. Hopefully TL is next....

Not Afraid
08-14-2003, 02:10 PM

Ummmmmm. Naked Chipmunks????????

;)

zapppop
08-14-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by millionairegirl
*Influx of characters everywhere you look
*Aladdin show
*Cheesecake on a stick (Ok I won't eat it, but someone must like it?)

The Aladdin show has been in Disneyland for a long time now, and there has always been characters running around the park, so those aren't new.

So, what's so great about cheesecake on a stick ? Using a fork to eat cake is now too much work for us fat lazy americans so a stick has to be inserted ? geez :rolleyes: I REALLY don't understand that one.

Ghoulish Delight
08-14-2003, 03:00 PM
(Mmmm, love those new lemonade stands!)
Is that sarcastic? Because I do love the new lemonade stands. They are a sight better than most ODV. Particularly the one in the Small World promenade (so unobtrusive that most people have to have it directly pointed out to them). The one by Mansion is also very nice. They are all themed, they are at a convenient counter hight. The only complain I'd have is that the Main Street one could be toned down a smidge, color-wise. Otherwise, I heartily approve of the addition.

Other good things. Let's see, the complete repaving of Fantasyland. The complete overhaul of and subsequent addition of lighting to the Mad Tea Party. The regular running of BOTH the Twain and the Columbia (it's been years since I've seen the Columbia sail so often). The return of the grim reaper in the Mansion (as well as finally working out the bugs in the audio). A stupendously efficient parkinglot tram system. Constant entertainment on Main Street (I've never seen the Dapper Dans and the saxaphone quartet out so much). And, damnit, I like Pooh! Sure, it's no mind-blowing e-ticket, but it's a darn good dark ride. Perhaps it doesn't touch me the way Pan or Alice do, but that's because I wasn't an impressionable child when I first rode it. That doesn't mean it sucks.

And all of the other myriad things that delight us without DOING anything, but by just existing. And that's the real key. It's so easy to say, "They changed this and it sucks," or, "This is falling apart." It's a lot harder to have a conversation that starts, "This has been wonderful and entertaining and joyous for years, hasn't it?" Like Uncle Dick says, it gets old real quick.

Ghoulish Delight
08-14-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by zapppop
and there has always been characters running around the park, so those aren't new. No, I'm going to have to agree with millionairegirl on this one. I've been seeing a lot more of the characters around. Especially princesses, but others too. They really have been making and effort to create more "meet and greet" opportunities over the past few years.

And I think she may have been referring to the DCA Aladdin, not Aladdin's Oasis. (I might debate her on the merits of that one, but opinions are just that ;) )

innerSpaceman
08-14-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
Is that sarcastic? Because I do love the new lemonade stands. They are a sight better than most ODV.
Yes, sarcastic - although I too really like them. They are indeed better than regular ODV carts - but: the plumbing is completely visible and a total eyesore. Visual plus for the stands, visual minus for the plumbing. Net result - zero. But I do love the irony of the Tomorrowland stand, where $4 lemonade is for sale directly across from trees growing actual lemons.

more by Ghoulish Delight
Other good things ... subsequent addition of lighting to the Mad Tea Party.
Yes, that was a good one. Forgot about that.

I will not count as particularly good news the repaving of streets or regular maintenance at both the Matterhorn and the Carousel that took longer in each case than it took to initially construct those attractions in the 1950's. Yes, maintenance is good, even when it's overdue and done at a glacial pace. But changing light bulbs and fixing broken stuff is nothing I'm gonna do cartwheels over. It's only because of the notoriously poor maintenance at the Park that bits of regular maintenance here and there is considered good news.

Ghoulish Delight
08-14-2003, 03:31 PM
and the Carousel that took longer in each case than it took to initially construct those attractions in the 1950's. As I understood it, the problem with the Carousel was that it had NEVER been properly taken care of, even in Walt's time. So I don't count that against the current Disney regime. It is a complete shame that such things had gotten into such a state that they required MAJOR overhauls. But they've done them. And they hadn't been done before. I choose to look on it as a good sign for the present and future, rather than a bad sign for the past. Who cares about discretions of the past as long as they continue to resolve the issues from here on out.

Of course, that doesn't mean you won't find me pointing out things that I find currently lacking. Things can't be fixed if no one mentions them. And it makes for good conversation. It just means you won't find me immediately assuming the worst anymore.

innerSpaceman
08-14-2003, 03:51 PM
I hate to harp on bad news in the "good news" thread, but I must point out that - wonderful as it is that the Carousel was re-built from scratch - it is shameful that it took 13 months to do so. All of Disneyland was built in less than a year, in 1955. In 2002, the Disney Company should be able to construct a Carousel in less time.

The completely pointless 2+ year renovation of Space Mountain is a good case in point. The entire attraction took less than one year to build in the first place. There is no good excuse for the refurbishment to take so long.

Yes, it's all a case of glass half empty or glass half full. Some people see a shiny new Carousel and a revamped Space Mountain. I (and thousands upon thousands of other paying guests) saw a carousel-in-a-box for over a year and now see a closed Space Mountain that puts a coffin nail in an entire Land.

But, um, yes - the new lighting at the Mad Tea Party is really cool. And It's a Small World just plain rocks!

halestorm
08-14-2003, 04:31 PM
I'd like to finally put to bed the rumor that MousePlanet is a "negative" site. The evidence is just not there.

I'm glad to see that there is some positive stuff here, but the negative far outweighs the positive.

Al Lutz founded this site and since he does not have a message board his "Evil Minions" post here. Just today there is a story about layoffs and such. I'm sorry but this is a negative site. At least in my view.

And BTW that doesn't mean this is a bad site. I like MP and enjoy reading here and I have fun reading the boards. But c'mon, don't kid yourselves.

(And now, I will be bashed for having an opinion. Another MP trait)

innerSpaceman
08-14-2003, 04:39 PM
This is not to bash anyone's opinion.

MousePlanet is a Disney NEWS site.

All NEWS is bad news.

(96% anyway)

HBTiggerFan
08-14-2003, 05:09 PM
I'm glad to see that there is some positive stuff here, but the negative far outweighs the positive.

Then start some positive threads. I have seen at least 3 positive ones today, and quite a few that are informational, neither positive or negative.

Al Lutz founded this site and since he does not have a message board his "Evil Minions" post here. Just today there is a story about layoffs and such. I'm sorry but this is a negative site. At least in my view.

There isn't any sort of conspiracy to keep MousePad 110% negative (which it isn't). Layoffs, while negative happen on a all-to-regular basis in all sorts of business, not just Disney. Since this is a Disney news site, they are reporting the news from Disney (the layoffs). That doesn't make MP negative.

And BTW that doesn't mean this is a bad site. I like MP and enjoy reading here and I have fun reading the boards. But c'mon, don't kid yourselves.

I am glad you enjoy MousePad and MousePlanet and have fun reading the boards. I don't see anyone kidding themselves about anything, positive or negative.

(And now, I will be bashed for having an opinion. Another MP trait)

I don't see anyone bashing you for your opinion but you sure seem to like bashing anyone who has an opinion different than yours (calling them names...ie...evil minions).

If you think that MP is to negative you might like this site (http://www.mouseinfo.com), this site (http://www.laughingplace.com), or this site (http://www.wdwmagic.com), all of which you may find more positive.

halestorm
08-14-2003, 06:12 PM
The "Evil Minions" thing is a joke. From another thread. Some might get it. No offence was meant. :)

MonorailMan
08-14-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
Ummmmmm. Naked Chipmunks????????

I just spewed my water all over my screen. That meal was hilarious, and a blast! :D :fez:

If there's one thing I like about MP, is that you see Disney from all angles, good and bad. :)

HBTiggerFan
08-14-2003, 07:28 PM
The "Evil Minions" thing is a joke. From another thread. Some might get it. No offence was meant. :)

I understand what it means, I have read the threads and I associate on a semi-regular basis with some of the people you are refering to by that term. No offence or not, it is IMHO name calling.

stitcher
08-15-2003, 08:26 AM
Many of us know why the carrousel took longer from a technical sense, but still your right ISM, they still could have done it in far less time.

As for SM, it's taking longer for the same reasons... Lack of applied labor time.

I will however defend, to some point the not so appealing scaffolding and tear-up of the far Emporium wall. It looks as though they are addressing a much needed issue that may spread individually through the remainder of Main Street sometime between now and the end of March. Taking only portions of something apart can sometime take longer than just doing a total rebuild because you have to be very careful about the areas that you're not touching, or simply repairing.

As for the the thatching in Adventureland, I'm remaining hopeful on that they are biding their time so that it looks it's best, since it probably has one of the greatest aesthetic breakdown rates in the park. However, it's getting to a point at which their caution may get the best of them if they have any sort of delay caused by the removal and/or attempted replacement of the thatching.

In a final defense, I will say that I have seen evidence that many cherished areas of the park are and will be getting their due. However, much to the dismay of our impatient minds, it is at a very slow rate, that only the most observant may notice at times. The plus side to that is that they are not shutting down the attractions for these restorations (except for those that they have no choice, such as SM). I know it sounds overly opitmistic, despite how much I think Disneyland is in trouble for the 50th, I think we just need to be patient about many things (I do not however condone severely peeling paint).