PDA

View Full Version : Meet new Disneyland Resort President Michael A. Colglazier

AVP
01-09-2013, 11:04 AM
This is the official bio provided from Disney for Michael A. Colglazier, the newly named President of the Disneyland Resort:

On January 9, 2013, Michael A. Colglazier, a 23-year veteran of The Walt Disney Company, was named president of the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, Calif. Michael will oversee a workforce of 25,000 cast members at the 500-acre resort, which includes the world-famous Disneyland Park, the newly expanded Disney California Adventure Park, the classic Disneyland Hotel, Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa, the Paradise Pier Hotel and Downtown Disney. His appointment will be effective February 1, 2013.

Since 2010, Michael has served as vice president of Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park, where he led more than 3,000 cast members. During this time, Michael oversaw day-to-day operations and was instrumental in the initial planning and development stages of the new Avatar-themed experiences being planned for the park.

Prior to his role with Disney’s Animal Kingdom, Michael served as a vice president on the Walt Disney Parks and Resorts’ Global Development team where he was responsible for identifying new global growth and business opportunities for the Parks and Resorts segment. From 2003 to 2007, Michael served as vice president of Disney Photo Imaging, where he spearheaded the invention and growth of Disney’s “PhotoPass” service, creating an industry-changing, web-based business model that creates value from the millions of photos captured each year in Disney parks.

As vice president of Operations Strategy and Technology for Walt Disney World Resort from 2000 to 2003, Michael was responsible for managing the labor needed to operate four theme parks, all of the resort’s 17 hotels, two water parks and Downtown Disney. In addition, Michael led business and technology teams to create new experiences for guests.

Other positions include serving as general manager of Innoventions at both Epcot and Disneyland parks, and manager of project development at Disneyland Resort. Michael began his career with the company in 1989 as a corporate analyst with The Walt Disney Company.

Born and raised in Indiana, Michael graduated from Stanford University with a bachelor’s degree in industrial engineering, and received his master’s degree from Harvard Graduate School of Business Administration.

Michael has been active in the Central Florida community, serving on the boards and committees for The Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra, The Association of Zoos and Aquariums, The Orlando Science Center and the Florida Film Economic Advisory Council.

Michael’s Disney Career – At a Glance

Disneyland Resort - Anaheim, California
President February 1, 2013 to present
Manager, Project Development 1991 – 1992

Walt Disney World Resort - Orlando, Florida
Vice President, Disney Animal Kingdom Park 2010 to January 31, 2013
Vice President, Disney Photo Imaging 2003 – 2007
Vice President, Operations Strategy and Technology 2000 – 2003
General Manager, Epcot and Disneyland Innoventions 1994 – 2000

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts
Vice President, Global Development 2007 – 2010

The Walt Disney Company
Corporate Strategic Planning Analyst/Sr. Analyst 1989 – 1991

3Princesses1Prince
01-09-2013, 11:35 AM
VP of AK to Pres of DLR? Big promotion there!

TTFN92
01-09-2013, 11:45 AM
What exactly does this men for DL? I know when Matt Ouimet was coming everyone was really excited because they knew he'd do a good job. What about this guy? Also, why do they keep getting a new Pres for DL? Seems like they've had an awful lot of them. Wouldn't it be better to keep one doran extended period of time?

oregontraveler
01-09-2013, 11:58 AM
What exactly does this men for DL? I know when Matt Ouimet was coming everyone was really excited because they knew he'd do a good job. What about this guy? Also, why do they keep getting a new Pres for DL? Seems like they've had an awful lot of them. Wouldn't it be better to keep one doran extended period of time?

The bottom line is, the DL President get a contract every 3 years. But lately, 3 years has been the average stay. CM Matt moved on to become President of Starwood Hotels, but went full circle and came back to the theme parks in 2012 as President for Cedar Fair (which owns Knotts & Great America in Santa Clara)
Based off Michael's resume, I hope he still gets the 'Disney Magic' for its Guests. At the same time, he has a big role in keeping DL going on the buisness side with the Anaheim Resort District. Something I think Ed Grier was good at.

mkraemer
01-09-2013, 01:19 PM
VP of AK to Pres of DLR? Big promotion there!

I thought exactly the same thing...

3Princesses1Prince
01-09-2013, 01:47 PM
I thought exactly the same thing...

As long as he leaves Avatarland in Orlando...

cstephens
01-09-2013, 03:26 PM
As long as he leaves Avatarland in Orlando...

Well, it wouldn't be his decision where Avatarland goes, but unless Disney buys up a lot of homes and kicks people out, there's really no room for that kind of expansion in Anaheim.

olegc
01-09-2013, 10:40 PM
I find it very interesting that for 5 years he simply managed the AK park, no new changes or very large impacts to the park he was managing. Then not even one year goes by with the announcement of Avatar and he was "promoted" to run DLR. In my opinion he was moved because the Avatar concept is not going anywhere (don't know if its his issue or not) and/or they want to see if he can handle a higher-pressure environment before they let him manage a huge increase in guest attendance due to a new land. I have no other info other than his biography and the lack of new and exciting things at AK. (was the yeti installed while he was there?).

My biggest concern, obviously, is whether The Disney Co is looking to put a shop-minder looking to control costs and keep things running without significant improvements. Maybe the bean counters are winning out with the idea that having Carsland is enough for now to keep people coming, along with Fantasy Faire and LTM events. I sure hope I'm wrong.

houseofmouse
01-10-2013, 03:21 PM
Wasn't he just the VP? If so then he may not have had much say about what new and fabulous things went into AK. I just hope he leaves the One Disney mentality in Florida.