PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland fights multiday pass abuse by photographing holders - Los Angeles Times

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

MousePlanet AutoPoster
01-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Disneyland fights multiday pass abuse by photographing holders (http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&fd=R&usg=AFQjCNF9oLuHEM7kIzknd9VdqeXdSMPtbQ&url=http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-disney-passes-20130109,0,5491211.story)
Los Angeles Times
Workers at Disneyland and Disney California Adventure Park took photos of visitors entering the parks Tuesday as part of a new crackdown on abuse of multiday passes.

More... (http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&fd=R&usg=AFQjCNF9oLuHEM7kIzknd9VdqeXdSMPtbQ&url=http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-disney-passes-20130109,0,5491211.story)

AVP
01-08-2013, 11:38 PM
I'd heard this had been discussed, and it's interesting that they've implemented the program. I'll be more interested tomorrow to see how much this really delays park entry.

AVP

Drince88
01-09-2013, 07:49 AM
I'm really curious if this is the 'final' solution - or if this is just a stop-gap until they get some infrastructure in place. I know they said they weren't doing finger print biometrics, but maybe something else along those lines.

3Princesses1Prince
01-09-2013, 07:56 AM
I have read other places that ticket brokers are getting creative with the names on ticket solution, either erasing names on multiday tickets or renting out am vs pm use on single day passes.
Also new technology may be coming when the NextGen stuff comes out west in 2014/15 so this may just be a fix for the short term thing.
I read reports that this delayed some getting in for MM by 45 minutes! So there is obviously some logistics that need to be worked out.

currence
01-09-2013, 08:12 AM
I read reports that this delayed some getting in for MM by 45 minutes! So there is obviously some logistics that need to be worked out.

Not disagreeing with the reporting, but confused. If most multi-day tickets only have 1 early entry coded onto them, why would MM be delayed by 45 minutes?

If done right, it would seem that the photos would take less time than writing names on passes and checking ID.

Drince88
01-09-2013, 08:18 AM
If people are using their early entry on the first day of use, then the line back up caused by taking pictures could eat up virtually their entire early entry time. So instead of getting in 1 hour early total over multiple days, they get 15 minutes.

Also, AVP --- are they doing this INSTEAD of asking for ID and checking names, or in ADDITION to that? (Presuming you're going to do some investigative reporting today)

3Princesses1Prince
01-09-2013, 08:24 AM
I guess yesterday was the first day so even those using mm on their last day had to wait and get their photo in. So everyone had to get their photo taken on entry.

Eta: even ap holders staying onsite got stuck in line because there wasn't a "no photo needed" line.

candles71
01-09-2013, 08:33 AM
I am amused by the comment of the ticket broker. Can I answer him? ;)

Shortpix77
01-09-2013, 08:40 AM

That answer would be, "Uh, DOY. Thank you, Captain Obvious."

3Princesses1Prince
01-09-2013, 08:41 AM

Please do!

TTFN92
01-09-2013, 10:52 AM
I'm glad to get a heads up on this. I'd love to know how it went today when not everyone needs a photo. We will definitely be getting there early.

TTFN92
01-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Just passed this on to friends on Facebook.

Jim Dear and Darling
01-09-2013, 03:56 PM
I'm actually really glad to see this, hoping it will make it possible to bring back 6 & 7 day park hoppers.

DaDuckFan1955
01-09-2013, 05:27 PM
Glad they finally did this, hopefully they will have some lines where "no photo needed" so those with single day or already photo'd can walk through faster, we always buy AP's so hopefully Disneyland allows separate lines for those not needing to be photographed, if done right with signage and a castmember walking the lines saying "these lines are for those who already have had a photo taken for their multi pass, if you are trying to sneek in you'll be turned away by security and have to get into another line, so save yourself some time and make sure you are in the right line."

TTFN92
01-11-2013, 11:54 AM
I was wondering if anyone has been there since the first day and how the lines were affected and if they were having any technical difficulties with it.

houseofmouse
01-11-2013, 12:34 PM
You only have to do the special scan once though right? After they have your picture, you can just go through the line like everyone else? My DH will have a hopper the end of next month.

3Princesses1Prince
01-11-2013, 01:16 PM
I was wondering if anyone has been there since the first day and how the lines were affected and if they were having any technical difficulties with it.
I heard it no longer impacts lines. They're trying to get photos taken before getting to the turnstile.

You only have to do the special scan once though right? After they have your picture, you can just go through the line like everyone else? My DH will have a hopper the end of next month.
Yes. Just the first time you enter.

TTFN92
01-11-2013, 01:19 PM
I heard it no longer impacts lines. They're trying to get photos taken before getting to the turnstile.
Good to know. Thanks :)!

houseofmouse
01-11-2013, 01:40 PM
Oh good! Thanks.

Susie63
01-11-2013, 04:28 PM
Why don't they have seperate lines for AP holders? That seems like a no brainer to me?

cstephens
01-11-2013, 04:34 PM
Why don't they have seperate lines for AP holders? That seems like a no brainer to me?

Actually, given the large quantity of AP holders who visit, it would make more sense to designate a few lines for multi-day passes, like they were doing a few weeks ago when they started checking IDs and such.

mjjpower
01-13-2013, 03:56 PM
We just got back from our trip. We had multi day passes that we purchased through Costco. We had to first have our pictures taken on day one as well as showing our i.d. Then each time we went to the gate we had someone with a scanner that would check our tickets again before letting us approach the turnstile where they would ask to scan our tickets again and see our I.D again. Not sure why they would check your i.d after the person letting you up to the turnstile already checked to make sure your picture matched the scan from the first day...it was confusing but we were so excited to be at the park it was okay.

Jodi
01-13-2013, 08:48 PM
Does anyone know if they are double checking single day tickets purchased online?

My son is planning a trip with some friends (teenagers) and some of the kids wanted to buy tickets online in advance, but were concerned because of the wording on the Disney website

Please remember the payment card(s) you use during your purchase today. As the purchaser of Disneyland Resort Tickets and Passes, you will be asked to show your payment card(s) and a valid government issued photo ID when you enter the Disneyland Parks. Failure to produce proof of purchase may result in denial of admittance to the theme parks, and/or denial of other rights and entitlements.

They aren't trying to do anything wrong, but they would not have the credit card with them, because the cards belong to the parents.

houseofmouse
01-13-2013, 10:33 PM
and does that apply for purchases at the ticket booth too? There are people that pay with cash. Not online though. I don't see showing your credit card with all your info at the entrance to a total stranger as a good idea. Plus the receipt may only have part of the number anyway. I get they are trying to prevent fraud but sharing your credit card?? Also what about tickets bought as gifts?:confused:

katiesue
01-14-2013, 10:21 AM
I've bought tickets online for my daughters friends or her Dad to use when he takes her and they've never been asked for the credit card. I do send them with the email receipt as well but they've never been asked for that either. Not saying they couldn't just that it's never happened to us.