PDA

View Full Version : Warning! Disneyland Discriminates Against Singles!

Pages : [1] 2

ScottC4746
01-08-2013, 07:19 AM
Tried booking tickets for the Golden Horseshoe this Saturday and when I said 1 she said she was sold out of the singles area. She let it slip out she had 3 seats left but refused to sell one to me.
Anyone else experiance this from Disneyland?

3Princesses1Prince
01-08-2013, 07:31 AM
I don't know how the seating works for this event, but If a restaurant only had a 6-top table available would you really expect them to seat you at it alone?

ETA: Also I have seen this at WDW, where a reservation for 2 was unavailable but one for 4 was. It may be how the computer system is set up. Also the "3seats left" is odd. Maybe she meant 3 tables? Just for larger parties?

And BTW, they aren't discriminating against singles. As you said they are sold out of single reservations.

DwarfPlanet
01-08-2013, 08:30 AM
It's just silly to think they would set only one person at a single table, I have had no problem in sharing tables in DLR or WDW when I was by myself.

3Princesses1Prince
01-08-2013, 08:40 AM
It's just silly to think they would set only one person at a single table, I have had no problem in sharing tables in DLR or WDW when I was by myself.

This is for a meal, so I don't know how it'd work in this situation.

Drince88
01-08-2013, 09:17 AM
ETA: Also I have seen this at WDW, where a reservation for 2 was unavailable but one for 4 was. It may be how the computer system is set up. Also the "3seats left" is odd. Maybe she meant 3 tables? Just for larger parties?

Also, at WDW there are times when a reservation was available for 2 but not for 1 -- and a party of 1 takes the same size table as a party of 2 (a party of 4 takes a different size table). In THAT case, you just make the ADR for 2 because your'e not prepaying - but that wouldn't work here.

Did they really have ANY available in the 'singles area' or did it say 'none' to her because there were never any.

houseofmouse
01-08-2013, 10:17 AM
That is really strange?? Go see the show for free!! You just won't have the meal portion but the show will be the same.

3Princesses1Prince
01-08-2013, 10:20 AM
That is really strange?? Go see the show for free!! You just won't have the meal portion but the show will be the same.

Agree! I am hoping to go the weekend of the 25th.

bennette
01-08-2013, 10:22 AM
Did they really have ANY available in the 'singles area' or did it say 'none' to her because there were never any.

They way the tables are on the first floor, I can't think they would be used for singles; it would be very ineffiencient. Maybe the chairs against the railings upstairs are being held for singles? (If I'm remembering the setup correctly; we haven't sat upstairs in a long time).

3Princesses1Prince
01-08-2013, 10:24 AM
They way the tables are on the first floor, I can't think they would be used for singles; it would be very ineffiencient. Maybe the chairs against the railings upstairs are being held for singles? (If I'm remembering the setup correctly; we haven't sat upstairs in a long time).

That's what I'm thinking too.

Drince88
01-08-2013, 10:56 AM
They way the tables are on the first floor, I can't think they would be used for singles; it would be very ineffiencient.
That's what I was thinking - which is why I asked if they even HAD seats for singles. I didn't think about the railing upstairs - I've only been upstairs once and sat behind the tech guys, so didn't notice if it was a railing/bar set up or if there were just more chairs with small tables.

bennette
01-08-2013, 11:01 AM
That's what I was thinking - which is why I asked if they even HAD seats for singles. I didn't think about the railing upstairs - I've only been upstairs once and sat behind the tech guys, so didn't notice if it was a railing/bar set up or if there were just more chairs with small tables.

There are sometimes some random chairs; more the result of someone saying to another table "Do you need this chair?" and dragging it over to their space.

Drince88
01-08-2013, 11:14 AM
There are sometimes some random chairs; more the result of someone saying to another table "Do you need this chair?" and dragging it over to their space.

But they wouldn't expect the singles to eat on their laps, would they?

bennette
01-08-2013, 11:19 AM
But they wouldn't expect the singles to eat on their laps, would they?

Railing? Temporary table? It's limited time magic... I doubt even Disney could make the logistics work smoothly for everyone for a short event.

Toocherie
01-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Since I can't climb stairs on my best day, I would be rather peeved if all singles were relegated upstairs. If I am calling before a party of three then I think they should give me a seat--as long as they explained that I would be sharing a table. Then they would have a table for two left. I agree with the OP that this is unfair to singles.

bennette
01-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Since I can't climb stairs on my best day, I would be rather peeved if all singles were relegated upstairs. If I am calling before a party of three then I think they should give me a seat--as long as they explained that I would be sharing a table. Then they would have a table for two left. I agree with the OP that this is unfair to singles.
I'm sure there is an accommodation for people with accessibility issues. Whether or not there will be enough accessible tables for everyone who wants them, however, is probably a different story.

I am sure you can think of some singles who would be perfectly unhappy at the thought of sharing a table. Or a duo who wouldn't want to share. Given the limited seating, there is going to be some unhappiness somewhere.

fairestoneofall
01-08-2013, 12:03 PM
Tried booking tickets for the Golden Horseshoe this Saturday and when I said 1 she said she was sold out of the singles area. She let it slip out she had 3 seats left but refused to sell one to me.
Anyone else experiance this from Disneyland?
Strange. I called yesterday to make a reservation for myself and had no issues. It wasn't until the end of the call that I decided to add my DH. Also, I was told that it was first come first served seating because I requested my reservation to be linked with a friend's. She just told me as long as we check in together we can be seated together.

Drince88
01-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Scott, I think I'd try calling again and see if you get a different answer. And specifically ask them about seating for solo park visitors.

leota's necklace
01-08-2013, 01:00 PM
I agree with the OP that this is unfair to singles.
Given some people's reaction to sharing ride vehicles, I can only imagine the fury that required table-sharing would induce.
I don't think it's unfair, just as unavailability for a party of seventy-two wouldn't be, either. Unless there are zero single seats available, this is just an issue of available space and user patterns in the park.

tea4two
01-08-2013, 01:59 PM
...I don't think it's unfair, just as unavailability for a party of seventy-two wouldn't be, either. Unless there are zero single seats available, this is just an issue of available space and user patterns in the park.

Agree with this. And, if seeing this show is really important to someone who is single, he/she can always bring a friend or treat a friend to get a table for 2.

cstephens
01-08-2013, 02:15 PM
Given some people's reaction to sharing ride vehicles, I can only imagine the fury that required table-sharing would induce.

I don't want to share a small enclosed ride vehicle with strangers, but I wouldn't necessarily mind sharing a table. I'm used to that, but I know some people aren't keen on that. And it would kind of suck if you were stuck sharing a table with a table-hog (like I sometimes see at food courts in malls), but I guess that's the chance you take.

Toocherie
01-08-2013, 03:11 PM
I know that there is table sharing at Biergarten in WDW --and yes, there's a risk that you end up with someone scary as a tablemate! But it also can be a good experience--a few years ago I took a wine tasting class at Napa Rose and it just so happened that someone who has become a VERY good friend was my tablemate--of course we didn't actually realize who each other was until after the tasting--probably mostly because I was so amazed by her mad skilz and awesome wine tasting abilities . . . . I just think that given the logistics of the Golden Horseshoe that selling a "single" should not be an issue---in reality it would be better than getting a ticket at a theatre--I think you would have more "room" than you have at the OC Performing Arts Center, for example. I have friends going on the 18th who asked me to go with them--I declined--but it would bite the big one if there were tickets available for that night but because I was single I couldn't get one of them to even be able to accompany them!~

bennette
01-08-2013, 03:51 PM
I know that there is table sharing at Biergarten in WDW --and yes, there's a risk that you end up with someone scary as a tablemate! But it also can be a good experience--a few years ago I took a wine tasting class at Napa Rose and it just so happened that someone who has become a VERY good friend was my tablemate--of course we didn't actually realize who each other was until after the tasting--probably mostly because I was so amazed by her mad skilz and awesome wine tasting abilities

I think we all know very well that I've met at least an equivalent number weirdos at Disneyland to VERY good friends via random table sharing. In fact, the oddest weirdos have sat down at my table even when I would rather not have shared (funeral videos, anyone?; random drunks?).

However, the primary issue remains whether seating for singles is available. It has been offered to one poster and declined to another. CM's often disagree and this is a new and limited event. So perhaps we need to see if the original poster or another poster can get a more useful response.

3Princesses1Prince
01-08-2013, 04:02 PM
^agree. And since the OP specifically said they were told the single seating was "sold out", that implies that there is single seating, just none available for the show they wanted. And since there are only 17 AP shows (I think that's the number I saw posted), its not a huge surprise it is selling out quickly.

danyoung
01-08-2013, 04:53 PM
Also, at WDW there are times when a reservation was available for 2 but not for 1 -- and a party of 1 takes the same size table as a party of 2 (a party of 4 takes a different size table). In THAT case, you just make the ADR for 2 because your'e not prepaying.....

I've been doing this for the past few years with great success. The online system will quite often not have a table for a party of 1, but will have a table for a party of 2. So I just book for two, and then when I arrive and they say "party of two" I just say "There will be only one dining tonight". I have yet to have to answer any further questions about this.

LauraTD
01-08-2013, 05:08 PM
It is probably one of those times when which cast member you talk to makes a huge difference. The tables are probably listed as being for two because tables are rarely made for one and some cast members can figure out that that a two top is where you seat a solo diner and others would look and see that there are no tables for one listed and figure those tables are sold out.