PDA

View Full Version : 3 Kings Day

currence
01-06-2013, 10:37 PM
Did anyone go to the 3 Kings Day celebration? If so, what did you think?

They had the gates by Big Thunder Ranch closed so a lot of people who might have wondered in were instead turned away. I heard several people say that it must have closed early as I walked by. I was surprised that there wasn't more signage on the closed gates to the ranch recommending people visit the festival area by going through Big Thunder Barbecue.

My family was there around 2-3pm Sunday. They enjoyed the face painting (the only time they ever get face painting is when it is free) and even though the designs were simple enough to do quickly, the kids liked that they got to choose from four different designs. They also liked the coloring page, paper crown, and stickers.

The kids were hoping that they still had the decorate your own cookie, and I was somewhat surprised that they did not, as that seemed like an overpriced cash cow for them. As for the special food offerings, they were already out of Kings bread. According to the cast member, they only got 200 pieces for the day. They were also out of Tamales. I don't recall how many he claimed they got, but it was an even smaller number. At first, I thought that they were only sold out until they got more from the back, but the cast member seemed convinced that they were out for the day. They did still have Chimicangas, which I do not believe are unique to that area.

Drince88
01-07-2013, 04:37 AM
What kind of Kings Bread was it?

fairestoneofall
01-07-2013, 06:18 AM
We never made it over there, but I wanted to. We didn't end up getting into the park until 9am, which was later than originally planned. With an 11am reservation, I didn't want to get too far away from NOS. We did Indy, Pirates, and HMH before lunch. When those were finish we only had a few minutes so we went to the shooting gallery.

That reminds me though, I really want to make a king cake with the boys this year.

olegc
01-07-2013, 08:08 PM
if its like last year - the King's bread they offer to sell is smaller than what you would think - similar to the size of the large pretzel. Its not as sweet as say a Mardi Gras king cake (find the baby!) and they're all premade and wrapped. I was disappointed in mine last year. Did not make it out there this year.