PDA

View Full Version : Big Thunder Mountain Railroad Makeover

Pages : [1] 2

TTFN92
01-03-2013, 04:28 PM
I was just reading an article in the OC Register about the makeover of BTMRR. On one hand I think it will be great to have it freshened up but on the other I am worried about what they are going to do to the trains. We all know how well it worked out for the Matterhorn to get new bobsleds. Does anyone know what they will look like or have they kept it pretty well under wraps? I think the actual Matterhorn mountain looks great so I'm sure BTM will too.

http://www.ocregister.com/entertainment/mountain-382393-ride-thunder.html

pulltab
01-03-2013, 06:20 PM
It doesn't sound like a little touch up of paint and a spring cleaning to me....

houseofmouse
01-03-2013, 07:03 PM
I don't remember where I read it but it's supposed to be new trains and a total track re-build.

stan4d_steph
01-03-2013, 07:19 PM
David Koenig noted the upcoming makeover in his blog on November 11 (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/entry.php?1038-The-Demolition-of-Rainbow-Ridge).

houseofmouse
01-03-2013, 08:22 PM
Yes that must be where I read it. :) Thanks. I am excited to see what they do but what are the buildings he refers to? The ones at the end?

Jim Dear and Darling
01-04-2013, 07:43 PM
You don't think they'll do away with the goat trick, do you? That would be so sad. Super bummed that it will be closed while we are there in September, we only get down to Disneyland every couple of years, and I was really looking forward to taking my daughter on it for the first time.

TTFN92
01-04-2013, 10:11 PM
I've never been able to get the goat trick to work :(. I've told others how to do it and its worked for them, just not me.

Jim Dear and Darling
01-04-2013, 10:44 PM
I've never been able to get the goat trick to work :(. I've told others how to do it and its worked for them, just not me.

That's a shame. It's the best part of the ride...

pulltab
01-06-2013, 06:26 PM
Got to go today. It was a MOB SCENE. The park was already at a 9.5 or so, but the line was LONG.... It was cool riding it, and took a lot of pictures.....

danyoung
01-06-2013, 07:40 PM
....what are the buildings he refers to? The ones at the end?

Yup - the old west group of buildings that are a holdover from the old Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland. I'm hoping they'll find a way to keep the feel of these classic buildings!

MidwayManiac
01-06-2013, 08:44 PM
After the uproar that ensued when Pirates closed down 2 or 3 months or so that one time most recently, I'm surprised a ten-month closure of BTMRR hasn't garnered more attention. Granted, Thunder Mountain may not possess quite the icon status of Pirates in the hearts of park fans but it's still a pretty big deal.
While Frontierland may have a big boat, theater, restaurant, rifle range, and shops, without its e-ticket ride it will be noticeably lacking. Plus the exit side of the ride is such a central and heavily trafficked location that (if I understand correctly) will be frequently shut down completely when Big Thunder Trail is cordoned for construction.
The ride will be easier to live without than living with the congestion that's sure to come. Here's to a happy return for the railroad. :cheers: Hope it's worth it.

kimmidyann
01-07-2013, 09:33 AM
I've been to Bryce Canyon and it's beautiful so we'll see how they make the actual mountain. I'm excited for the revamp but I hope they don't get rid of my favorite hidden mickey. (: While it's one of my favorites, I can live without it for a while to get a revamp as long as it's GOOD and they don't take out favorite parts of the ride.

DwarfPlanet
01-07-2013, 09:41 AM
I always thought it looked more like Coyote Rock out of the Disney cartoon.

TTFN92
01-07-2013, 10:53 AM
I've been to Bryce Canyon and it's beautiful so we'll see how they make the actual mountain. I'm excited for the revamp but I hope they don't get rid of my favorite hidden mickey. (: While it's one of my favorites, I can live without it for a while to get a revamp as long as it's GOOD and they don't take out favorite parts of the ride.
I don't think I've ever seen this one. I may never will too :(.

olegc
01-07-2013, 08:27 PM
After the uproar that ensued when Pirates closed down 2 or 3 months or so that one time most recently, I'm surprised a ten-month closure of BTMRR hasn't garnered more attention.

i think you may be right about the iconic nature of Pirates - but I think with the lengthy closure of Space Mtn, Matterhorn, and all the construction over the last year - maybe folks are just ok with it now. Then again, how many don't know it yet is a good question.

sjhanksaz
01-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Part of the fun of that ride is sliding around in the seat. When riding single it's a blast. When riding whith one of my small kids I am sure they think it's a little different when the turns push you into them.

I hope it doesn't loose a lot of it's appeal.

Spacemountain is in my opinion much better than the old one. Lets all cross our fingers.

shna
01-16-2013, 10:28 AM
I like BTMRR, but I HATE those bench seats. I don't like sliding from side to side - and I don't like that there aren't individual restraints. When I ride with DH, the safety bar is too high for me and I have to spend too much energy trying to hold on so I don't get tossed around. When I ride with DD, the safety bar is too high for her and I have to spend too much energy trying to make sure SHE doesn't get tossed around. I feel most secure and relaxed on the ride when riding alone - but that hardly ever happens. I wouldn't put DD in a seat with DH because she'd fly around like crazy!

carolinakid
01-17-2013, 05:04 AM
Count me in as another who LOVES the sliding. I would be very disappointed in individual restraints. This is such a mild thrill ride to begin with. I hope Big Thunder will be in soft opening by the time of our mid-October visit.

Shortpix77
01-17-2013, 07:55 AM
Count me in as another who LOVES the sliding. I would be very disappointed in individual restraints. This is such a mild thrill ride to begin with.

I agree completely with this. The sliding around (especially by the goat) is the best part. We generally try to do it with no hands and end up laughing ourselves silly by the end of the ride.

HeavenOnEarth
01-17-2013, 09:23 AM
God...I pray that Disney does not screw this ride up!!!

Can someone plz explain what this whole "Goat-Trick" thing is, and whats the big damn deal?

danyoung
01-17-2013, 09:27 AM
Ahhh, the goat trick! At the top of the 2nd lift, there's a goat on top of a peak. Just stare at the goat as you're going around the curve, and you just might enjoy a pleasurable sensation.

monkeyboy
01-17-2013, 09:28 AM
God...I pray that Disney does not screw this ride up!!!

Can someone plz explain what this whole "Goat-Trick" thing is, and whats the big damn deal?

It's where you sit on the left hand side of the car, and as the coaster starts the climb up the hill where the goat is chewing on the dynomite (Insert J.J. Walker voice here) you focus on the goat and keep your eyes on it as long as you can while the coaster is climbing and then shooting around the curve, it's supposed to make you pretty dizzy.

HeavenOnEarth
01-17-2013, 09:32 AM
I think I know where your going with this.... This has happend to me while in my car...lets say for example Im parked and there's another truck or big rig next to me and it starts to back up, and even though Im parked it makes you feel like your actually moving becasue your fixated on the car next to you and it makes you feel like your moving but your not...right ? :-)

danyoung
01-17-2013, 09:33 AM
No, it's much more than that. It's what an old girlfriend used to call a "tickle belly bump", times 10!

HeavenOnEarth
01-17-2013, 09:33 AM
On second thought...no thanks...I already have some Vertigo issues...Im good :-)