PDA

View Full Version : WDW decreasing PAP merchandise discount....is Disneyland next?

Pages : [1] 2

tamagaal
12-29-2012, 09:12 PM
Interesting article from the Orlando Sentinel about WDW and the decision to decrease the merchandise discount for premium annual passholders from 20% to 10%. It makes me wonder, why are they getting rid of ours altogether and not just decreasing it?

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-daily-disney/os-disney-cuts-annual-pass-discount-20121227,0,6632953.story

(Sorry if this is being discussed in another thread. Feel free to move if necessary. :p)

MammaSilva
12-30-2012, 02:54 AM
The original DLR discount was 10 percent but a few years ago they doubled it temporarily, if they reduce it to 10 percent it isn't taking it away it's just returning it to the original amount.

currence
12-30-2012, 07:31 AM
The latest passholder magazine indicated that the 20% & 10% discounts would remain until December 2013. The passholder magazines are not always accurate (like when they indicated the Aladdin show was going to be replaced by Toy Story, the Musical) but are usually a good indication of company policy.

Why do you think they are getting rid of our discounts?

DisneyFunFamily4
12-30-2012, 07:49 AM
we were told by a CM at WDW the other day that the premium AP Discounts were going from 20% to 10% as of Jan 1st at WDW. She was not sure if it was true of the premier AP's as well but I'm guessing it is. I asked if she knew if it was the case for DL too but she didn't know that.

kimmidyann
12-30-2012, 11:09 AM
I've heard that Disneyland isn't going to change their annual passholder discount rates just because there are SO many locals buying passes that one of the few advantages of the premium over the deluxe is the doubled discount. It's been a doubled discount for years at DLR and it's one of the things that switches people over from spending the rate of a deluxe pass to the 600 something rate of the premium.

Also, it seems like one of those things to just wait out and see because rumors fly about the passes and it's advantages every year.

GrumpyGoofyGuy
12-30-2012, 11:19 AM
Right off the Disneyland website showing AP discounts:

Shops

Most theme park and hotel merchandise locations

Premium Annual Passport 20%

Deluxe Annual Passport 10%

Southern California Annual Passport 10%

Southern California Select Annual Passport 10%

Days Valid: Every Day Until December 31, 2012

kimmidyann
12-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Wow that's crazy! XD Raising the prices and decreasing the benefits. They don't need the extra money anyway! hahahaha this is probably why I'm not a passholder. xP

currence
12-30-2012, 12:35 PM
When the passholder discounts increased to 20% and 10% from 10% and nothing for Disneyland it was speculated that this could be a method for Disney to track spending by passholders.

Since WDW doesn't have blackout dates, perhaps they thought that the premium passes did not need the full 20% discount. I couldn't tell from the linked article, is WDW going to 10% for everyone or are the lesser passes losing their discounts completely?

With a much different base than WDW I would expect that Disney would be loathe to completely get rid of a discount for all non-premium passes, otherwise they would lose their ability to track the purchases.

Hannahbelle
01-02-2013, 11:15 AM
http://www.disneybymark.com/2013/01/02/annual-passholders-loose-50-discount/

Looks like we are losing it all together. I LOVE to shop at Disneyland and this is some sad news to me. I better just stay OUT of the gift shops, I mean away from the "Merchandise experiences". Im pretty disappointed, that's for sure.

MammaSilva
01-02-2013, 11:18 AM
I am not going to worry about it until I see an official announcement, actually I'm on the phone On hold right now to ask someone at Disneyland about this, I'm especially concerned about the food discounts

Hannahbelle
01-02-2013, 11:20 AM
I am not going to worry about it until I see an official announcement, actually I'm on the phone On hold right now to ask someone at Disneyland about this, I'm especially concerned about the food discounts

Thanks MammaSilva, let us know what you find out. :-)

Hannahbelle
01-02-2013, 11:23 AM
http://disneyland.disney.go.com/passes/discounts/

According to the website we still have merchandise discounts.....

I take that back on the end of the column it says til 12/31/12. :-(

cstephens
01-02-2013, 11:24 AM
I am not going to worry about it until I see an official announcement

Yep, official announcement or an actual instance of someone who had their discount denied at the resort.

We had lunch at Jolly Holiday yesterday, and we got our normal AP discount.

MammaSilva
01-02-2013, 11:25 AM
Check the date, that says Dec 31, 2012....so we may/may not have them, I'm still on hold with AP help line.

MammaSilva
01-02-2013, 11:34 AM
Ok, here is what the pass holder guest services CM just told me. There is NO announcement that the merchandise nor the food discounts will be discontinued. She said that the same rumors hit last year because the AP page says thru Dec. 31, 2012 and haven't been updated. She checked while I was on the phone and the lead said there is no communication that the discounts will be stopped and when I talked to the dine line they said that the premium passes offer their 15 percent and others offer 10 percent. They did the 'all things subject to change without notice' spiel but the lead and the cast member both said that this situation happened last year when the calendar year rolled over but the website didn't update with the new information. So as it stands, we're not losing anything ...but like the CM said, they aren't in control of the situation they merely inform and assist the pass holders but it was their best guess based on the information they have available that this is just a matter of the website not being updated "yet".

norriski
01-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Thank you for the update! I'm heading to the parks one week from today and I'd have been very disappointed has this been true.

AVP
01-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Argh, I hate it when this happens.

As far as I know, the 20% / 10% discount was officially extended through December, 2013. Disney hasn't yet updated the website, but the AP Backstage Pass has this printed on the back cover.

I've asked a few CM sources, and they all say the discount is unchanged. However, knowing how these things spread, I've asked Disney for an official clarification just to put an end to the speculation - I'll post as soon as I hear something.

AVP

Hannahbelle
01-02-2013, 12:06 PM
Argh, I hate it when this happens.

As far as I know, the 20% / 10% discount was officially extended through December, 2013. Disney hasn't yet updated the website, but the AP Backstage Pass has this printed on the back cover.

I've asked a few CM sources, and they all say the discount is unchanged. However, knowing how these things spread, I've asked Disney for an official clarification just to put an end to the speculation - I'll post as soon as I hear something.

AVP

Sorry if I stirred up the pot.....I have been a pass-holder for 6 years and never heard a rumor about losing the discount whether it be 10 or 20 so I got a little uptight.....thanks for being a RELIABLE place for all things Disney!

Malcon10t
01-02-2013, 12:11 PM
My receipt for a bunch of stuff I don't need, but had to have, shows my 20% discount. It is still in effect...

AVP
01-02-2013, 01:07 PM
Sorry if I stirred up the pot.....No, not at ALL! Ever since that website (incorrectly) reported the end of the discount this morning, the question has been flying all over the various social media circles. I'm always happy to put a rumor out of its misery if I can.

AVP

Hannahbelle
01-02-2013, 01:10 PM
My receipt for a bunch of stuff I don't need, but had to have, shows my 20% discount. It is still in effect...

Hmmmm, sounds like you're enjoying some "merchandise experiences" too. ;-)

No, not at ALL! Ever since that website (incorrectly) reported the end of the discount this morning, the question has been flying all over the various social media circles. I'm always happy to put a rumor out of its misery if I can.

AVP

Thanks again AVP!

AVP
01-02-2013, 03:18 PM
Here's Disney's response:

While we regularly evaluate discounts and offers for our Disneyland Resort annual passholders, we don't currently anticipate any changes to the Disneyland Resort Annual Passholder merchandise discount in 2013.

DisneyFunFamily4
01-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Yay!! Thanks AVP.

tamagaal
01-02-2013, 04:02 PM
Awesome....that's a relief. I don't normally buy a whole lot of merchandise at the resort, but when I do, that discount comes in handy. Thanks for double-checking AVP. :-)

adriennek
01-02-2013, 05:56 PM
Awesome....that's a relief. I don't normally buy a whole lot of merchandise at the resort, but when I do, that discount comes in handy. Thanks for double-checking AVP. :-)

I have a reputation to maintain... The discount is often the reason I make a purchase. I can specifically thing of a few items that I would not have paid full price for, but purchased because I thought the 20% discount brought it down to a reasonable price.