PDA

View Full Version : We are in control of the vertical. We dumped the horizontal. (TOT)

MonorailMan
08-12-2003, 06:20 AM
Ok, so the topics a line from the Outer Limits, not Twilight Zone. Close Enough. ;)

Anyhow, Monday's Update (http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdates/dlr/dlr030811.htm) talked about what will be dropping down with TOT. According to the report, we will be losing the 5th demention room, in favor of a single up/drop shaft. It talks about 2 story loading, and a "new" Magic Mirror effect.

Well, if the horizontal movement starts right away, then all the suspense is gone. However, if they theme it right, moving horiztontal at the beginning couldn't be so bad. If they just just make the horizontal movement, to start, real dark, they could then discuise it as not moving at all. After the raise/drop, then if the suprize element takes place after it drops, as it moves back into the unload area, moving forward, then you have the suspence, but it's still not at the right time! Oh Well.

Also, if two story loading exists, how are they going to theme it? The whole "boiler room" effect doesn't exactly work with 2 stories. Will the Load, and unload stations be one in the same, or will there be a third unload station? While these are questions still to be answered, I hope they come out the best.

Our TOT is a long way away. I'll make any final judgements, the moment I step off that elevator. :D

danyoung
08-12-2003, 06:29 AM
While I was interested to read the article, I continue to find it unfathomable how somebody can critique a ride or show before it opens. The author seems to catagorically state that the West Coast version will be lame, because one effect is different from Florida. How bout waiting till you ride it before making up your mind?

SoCalDisneyLover
08-12-2003, 08:45 AM
Tower Of Terror will be a good ride, and will draw crowds...but it will be a Weaker Version than the one in Orlando. The trend towards putting lesser class ride retreads in So Cal will continue. The other parks are getting more $ attention, and while the Anaheim resort will get new attractions from time to time, they will usually be underwhelming by the standards of those who thought so highly of the original Disneyland.

That is also why the 50th will be less than "Spectacular." It's less than 2 years away, and most of the original "pie in the sky" plans have long been gutted. We will get a celebration, but it will Not be a CELEBRATION!!

AVP
08-12-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by danyoung
While I was interested to read the article, I continue to find it unfathomable how somebody can critique a ride or show before it opens. The author seems to catagorically state that the West Coast version will be lame, because one effect is different from Florida. How bout waiting till you ride it before making up your mind? I'm the "author" of that tidbit this week, with a lot of editing and fleshing-out from Lani. I've re-read the edited column, and I'm curious how you got any of that from what I wrote.

I certainly did not categorically state that the DLR version will be "lame." Regarding something you said in another thread, I don't think anyone writing for MP is telling anyone to stay away from the ride or the resort.

What I tried to do was pass along more information about the ride itself, and share some concerns that cast members have written to me about. And I concluded by saying, "With the ride scheduled to open next year, it's still too soon to pass any judgment on the ride system or the effects."

I don't think it's premature to discuss what we already know of the ride. I don't think it's premature to present concerns from those people who HAVE seen the ride. That's hardly making up my mind - or trying to do so for anyone else.

It seems that you would be happier if we never mentioned anything about a new show / ride / park until it opened to the public. That's what Disney press releases are for - not MP columns.

AVP

danyoung
08-12-2003, 10:45 AM
Hey there, AVP. I stand corrected in reference to your article. I meant to speak somewhat generally, but it didn't come out that way. While I was referring to those who say "this ride doesn't have this or this or this like Florida, so it's gonna suck", I guess in my mind I rolled your article in with that mindset, and for that I apologise.

As to webmasters warning folks to stay away, I didn't have anyone here in mind. I refer you to the oft mentioned Mr. Lutz's article from a week or so ago, suggesting that people don't visit while the monorail, and Tomorrowland in general, is in such bad shape.

Sorry to be seen as dissing my favorite Disney site!

jsuperk
08-12-2003, 03:34 PM
How many tower of terror's are there? I think this is only the second one they've built. J

SoCalDisneyLover
08-12-2003, 07:26 PM
I will go on this TOT and probably Love It! I'm sure it will be a great ride. Will it compare to the experience in Florida? Most people won't know, since they would have had to be to WDW for that version.

I think the only reason I speak with skepticism, is the recent trend towards underwhelming in comparison rides at the DL Resort. Winnie The Pooh was hardly the WDW Or Tokyo version, and while people still ride it....they don't exactly have those other versions right next to it as a choice.

Like I said...I love that ride, so I'm sure I will check this one out. And if I ever go back to WDW, I'll be able to make a more valid decision as to which is superior overall.

safetybar
08-12-2003, 10:38 PM
How is the walk to the TOT going to be themed? In orlando, it fit perfectly at the end of Sunset BLVD. At DCA its going to be jammed behind a soundstage, how is it going to look? Is there any information about how the theming is going to blend with the surrounding area?