PDA

View Full Version : Millionnaire Rocks!!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

splbound
08-28-2001, 11:15 PM
Went to the soft opening today....Too bad they didn't think of putting this in back on Feb 8th!

Had a blast, (and scored #2 out of an audience of about 500). The "Regis" was one of the actors who do the improv over at the Soap Opera bistro....He's good.

My whole family had fun...my 4, 8, 10 & 12 year olds loved it too. My wife sat in the "Ring of fire" area.

This attraction FINALLY gives meaning to the "Hollywood Backlot" area.

See it if you can, gang. Before the heavy TV & Radio Ads start.

GrimGrinnin
08-29-2001, 01:09 PM
This attraction FINALLY gives meaning to the "Hollywood Backlot" area.

Even though the original show is recorded in New York?

Alex S.
08-29-2001, 01:58 PM
Yes, even though.

I personally find the complaint that Millionairre tapes in New York and therefore breaks the theme to be overly literal. It still fits the theme of TV and movie making.

I haven't heard any complaints about the possibility of an Armageddon ride, even though very little of it was filmed in California (and it isn't set there at all).

Napsto
08-29-2001, 02:01 PM
it fits with hollwyood perfectly because it is baout filming something at site 1 and make it seem like site 2. magically!

Nigel2
08-29-2001, 02:02 PM
That is a weak complaint I think, since as said before its a show, not the town. Also does anyone know if the video is the same as it is at MGM, I mean does he get flowers again, or say the park name?

rexfarms
08-29-2001, 02:20 PM
Is Millionare open now. I mean if I was going to the park tomorrow (I wish!!!!!;)) would I be able to play it. And what is a soft opening. Thanks

splbound
08-29-2001, 02:21 PM
Grim:

I'll respond to your original question....

You walk into a soundstage....baffled walls, onto a familiar tv show set. They do a whole pre show spiel where they are testing the lights, sound, etc. It is pretty close to being at an actual taping. It adds a dimension to the park that didn't exist, and should have from the beginning.

Before the park opened, I heard of a "Hollywood" area. I immediately pictured Universal. The reality of the Hollywood area was much less than the expectation. This is the first "Hollywood" type experience to go into the area.

Also, I don't place Millionnaire in NY. The show itself is faceless. It was also pretty cool to actually see how much pressure someone can be under being watched by 500 or so people.....quite a bit of suspense....makes you appreciate the real hot seat.

Go see it. We are going back tonight.....hoping for another preview day...>

splbound
08-29-2001, 02:25 PM
Response to Rexfarms:

a soft opening is what disney does when they open a new ride/attraction......first they just open it one day with no advance warning, and use the people visiting the park as guests to work out the fine tuning, line queues, reactions to effects, etc. They usually do this a couple of weeks before the "Advertised" opening so by that time it works like a well oiled machine......

As far as it being open....who knows...it was yesterday....they probably need to do more testing.....maybe a few more days.....

rexfarms
08-29-2001, 03:40 PM
Oh I see, thanks splbound.:D

AVP
08-29-2001, 04:47 PM
Tony and I went to one of the Millionnaire soft opening shows yesterday, and really enjoyed it. I also came in #2 when it was time to pick a new hot seat contestant. Good thing, too - I'm not at all sure that I want to sit in the middle of 600 strangers like that!

MousePlanet will have more "formal" coverage when the attraction officially opens, but right now there's not a whole lot of news to talk about. If you've seen the Florida version, you've seen this one. And if you haven't seen either version, then we can't really help much! ALL photography is banned inside the building.

I hope some of the MousePad readers make it to the hot seat, so you can tell me what it was like.

Adrienne VP

Napsto
08-29-2001, 05:37 PM
i am so excited aout getting to se it soon!

RideMax Mark
08-29-2001, 07:45 PM
I'm curious about the lines for the show -- do you need to use FP for this one, or can you just get in the standby line and make it into the next show?

Did they have the FP system working for the soft opening?

Thanks,
Mark

Dreamstaker
08-29-2001, 09:06 PM
I went tonight and they had fastpass, which I used.

The show was fun. I did not get to the hot seat :(

Nigel2
08-29-2001, 09:28 PM
Since it is the MGM one, just here use the fastpass, it beats waiting in line, but basically if you dont mind waiting you can get the fastpass, but if you want to get on faster or get the floor seats I think stand by is the line you want. Also if its like MGM the FP will only be good for like 10 minutes instead of an hour since its a show.

GrimGrinnin
08-30-2001, 06:30 AM
I have played it at MGM. 3 times in 2 days. Loved it (Have the polo shirt, baseball cap, 10 pins and lanyard to prove it). You all make good points, but I still don't think it belongs in the Hollywood Backlot area. They even mention in the video how the real show is taped in NY. Everyone in the hot seat (on the real show) talks about what they've done in New York since they've been there. I completely associate WWTBAM with New York. This is in the Hollywood Backlot area of a theme park called California Adventure. The park hasn't even been open for a year yet, and they're already demonstrating that they can't maintain such a limited theme.

Ralph Wiggum
08-30-2001, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by GrimGrinnin
Everyone in the hot seat (on the real show) talks about what they've done in New York since they've been there. I completely associate WWTBAM with New York. This is in the Hollywood Backlot area of a theme park called California Adventure. The park hasn't even been open for a year yet, and they're already demonstrating that they can't maintain such a limited theme.

(Crawling up onto the soap box {my first offical time, not sure if its appropriate})

Occasionally you might get someone who talks about New York but I would hardly say "everyone".

ITS A SHOW!!!! Most shows are taped in Hollywood. It sounds like everyone who has gone to DCA to see the soft openings says it really makes you feel like your at the real show.

If your hung up on the fact that this particular show is taped in New York, think of it this way. Disney did such a great job at recreating the show at DCA that you feel like(for those of you who associate it with New York) your in New York at the real show.

No matter what your feelings are it doesnt change the fact that this attraction seems to be entertaining. If a little detail like where the show is really taped is going to stop you from having fun(Not saying anyone said it would) then I feel sorry for you.

{stepping down and taking a breath)

splbound
08-30-2001, 08:38 AM
Ralph,

As usual...Bravo! Well said.

Officially, for anyone offended that a NY taped show can appear in an amusement park dedicated to California in the section depicting Hollywood....

stay home.

GrimGrinnin
08-30-2001, 11:24 AM
Oh 'fer cryin out loud.

You guys are completely blowing this out of proportion. My original response was to the comment that this attraction 'finally gives meaning to the "Hollywood Backlot" area. ' I found it humorous that this attraction has nothing to do with Hollywood, yet finally gives it meaning. This isn't funny to anyone esle? I know I have a bizzare sense of humor...

I am not 'offended' by this attraction. I am not 'hung up' on this attraction. I never said the attraction wasn't entertaining (actually, if you read what I wrote you would see that I love this attraction). Thank you for putting words in my mouth and insulting me.

I see your points and they are valid. Most people won't even make the connection that the show originates in New York, and won't be affected at all. I never said they would.

The facts still remain - WWTBAM has nothing to do with the Hollywood Backlot. It's not TVland or Gameshowland. With your logic, it would be fine to put the Brooklyn Bridge in place of the Golden Gate Bridge because they are both bridges, and California has bridges. A bridge is a bridge. Who needs continuity anyway?

If your hung up on the fact that this particular show is taped in New York, think of it this way. Disney did such a great job at recreating the show at DCA that you feel like(for those of you who associate it with New York) your in New York at the real show.

Thank you for proving my point - what does this have to do with being in a theme park about California?

Oh, and I don't feel sorry for any of you for having a differing opinion.

Cheers
:)

splbound
08-30-2001, 12:54 PM
GrimGrinnin,

"Oh 'fer cryin out loud. "

Thanks so much for putting us all in our places.

Question: Can you honestly not see the connection between Hollywood Backlot, and an attraction that is supposed to be like a taping of a tv show? (Of which most, by the way, are done in Hollywood.) Is the connection so vague that you compare it to being as relevant as the Brooklyn bridge being put in instead of the Golden Gate?

What about the Soap Opera Bistro? Most soaps are taped in NY, not LA? Under your premise that should not be there. There are just as many references to NY in the soaps as Millionnaire, right?

- Oh! How about this one. Cruella deVille's trailer is on the backlot, but some of the post production for 101 & 102 was done overseas. Shall we remove it?

There is an oriental girl in the cast of Steps in time. Should she be fired?

Sorry if we have insulted you a second time.

Geez, already

Nigel2
08-30-2001, 12:58 PM
Hmmmm, when I went on it at MGM the guy just asked the kid if he was enjoying his sat in FL and who was here with him. Do you think there will be any differnet merchandise for our show?

Ralph Wiggum
08-31-2001, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by GrimGrinnin
Oh 'fer cryin out loud.

You guys are completely blowing this out of proportion. My....

....ny of you for having a differing opinion.

Cheers
:)

I am sorry if it seemed that I was talking directly to you, I was not. I quoted you so people would know what part of the conversation I was refering to but the rest of my post was talking to everyone in general.

As for proving you wrong. Not likely. All I was saying is that it makes you feel like your in the real show, and for those who associate it with New York you will feel like your in New York(not because it has a new york feel to it or anything, just because thats what YOU(that group of people) associate with Millionare.

Anyways...enough with the arguement. One thing is a fact in my eyes. Whether you(and when i say you i mean no person in general) are hung up with the fact that its actually taped in new york or not, its a great show and brings something more to Hollywood backlot.

I went last night with my sister just to go see it and I LOVED it. Its going to be one of those things you'll go to 3 or 4 times in one day if you a AP. Go check it out.. Its worth it!

GrimGrinnin
09-01-2001, 09:27 AM
Nice post Ralph, and I agree.

Just remember, you can only get in the hot seat once every 30 days :)

Ralph Wiggum
09-01-2001, 10:24 AM
Really..that sucks...30 days...but I guess they have to make some kind of limit. At least its not a year or something!!

Cadaverous Pallor
09-01-2001, 11:36 AM
Have to add my little thumbs up for this attraction! We got nowhere near getting in the hot seat but man was that fun. We didn't have time last night, but I'm sure if we did, we would've gone back again and again.

Maybe when the crowds die down this winter we'll have a better chance of getting in the hot seat.

Alex S.
09-02-2001, 10:25 AM
I'll give details later, but I made it to the hot seat yesterday.

Blew the 64,000 question, though.