PDA

View Full Version : Missing Disneyland

amismo
08-11-2003, 10:16 AM
It has been 3 months now since my last visit, and I have been trying to substitute Paramount's Great America (I live in the SF Bay Area).

But there is NOTHING like Disneyland - warts and all. I keep seeing these threads about how bad it is etc, but DL is miles better than any other theme park. It is clean, well themed and everyone who works there is relatively courteous and knowledgeable.

Our Aps have expired - but come September, we plan to visit again!

Lashbear
08-11-2003, 10:11 PM
I know how you feel, except I'm even worse off than you !

Wonderland Sydney (http://www.wonderland.com.au/) is definitely a poor relative of the USA theme parks !! (we haven't had a new ride since 1995)

...I've always missed Great America - as I usually go to the USA in winter :(

Lost Boy
08-12-2003, 07:23 AM
Just out of curriosity, for Lashbear who seems to live in Australia, how about WB Movie World? I found out about it thru a link in a Harry Potter discussion and found that this Park had a huge HP display a year ago. Have you ever been to this Park and if so, how is it. The map I download looks pretty cool (No Disneyland of courst, but still interesting) and was wondering if it's worth a visit. Someday (after I make it to Paris and Tokyo of course).

Lashbear
08-12-2003, 05:04 PM
**Brief Thread derailment**

Lost Boy:

WB Movie world is probably the best of the Aussie parks (although Dreamworld is a close second)

It has some good roller coasters, an excellent flume ride, and good shows and atmosphere - not a lot of thrills, but you can go to Dreamworld for that - they're right up the road from each other.

WB also has a really cool ride called The Scooby-Doo Spooky Coaster (http://www.elvision.com/tunneloflaffs/scoobymovieworld/scooby.htm) (The article was written by yours truly !!) I LOVE this coaster, as it's a good combo of Dark Ride and enclosed coaster. Just hold onto your sunglasses...I lot mine on the ride ! (but got them back at the end of the day)

I missed the Harry Potter Experience (touring through the sets with actors adding to the fun), but hope to catch it on it's return !

Top ride in the park, I would say is the Lethal Weapon Roller Coaster - a suspended coaster with some nice airtime, and some wicked inversions !

Favourite shop: the Willy Wonka Candy Store. :bloat: :bloat: :Sugar-rush:

Check out Dreamworld's site (http://www.dreamworld.com.au) as well, as they have some REALLY good thrill rides (including a 'superman- the escape' clone called Tower Of Terror which is taller than superman) and some really fun rides - you also get to see the white tigers ! They have ripped off some elements of DL such as the Mark Twain, the entrance with it's mansard roofs, and the Matterhorn, which is a [much smaller than the DLR one] plaster mountain with a whirl-&-hurl ride in the base (a himalaya for those in the know)

BTW: the 'Giant Drop' is the tallest freefall tower Intamin have ever built - and when you're at the top, you sure know it... especially if your lucky[?] enough to be at the top when the tower of terror cart comes rumbling up the side of the tower (which they share)... you'll quiver and quake !!

Let me know if you want to know any more !

Cheers,
Rob :fez:

Icy Bacon
08-12-2003, 05:41 PM
It has been 3 months now since my last visit, and I have been trying to substitute Paramount's Great America (I live in the SF Bay Area).Hey, me too but it's only been about 3 weeks. I actually work at PGA... so I spend a LOT of time there and it's starting to get pretty old sadly. Top Gun is great, but obviously it's not nearly as great as Disneyland.