PDA

View Full Version : More Bad Show depressing pictures

Darkbeer
08-11-2003, 02:23 AM
OK, just finished up my latest photo update of the DLR (from Saturday, August 9th), here are a few photos...

A current photo of the Monorail stairs at DtD (http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=4088391&a=30809858&p=64463118&f=0)

The "Strange" missing Moon Rock sign (http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=4088391&a=30809858&p=64464560&f=0)

The Bluebird of Happiness needs some serious TLC! (http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=4088391&a=30809858&p=64479305&f=0)

Check out the entire album, there are more Bad Show photos, but also many Good Show photos....

DLR Photo update album from August 9th, 2003 (http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4088391&a=30809858&f=0&sp=1)

Darkbeer
08-11-2003, 03:03 AM
Let me add one more photo album, this one positive...

Tower of Terror update from August 9th (http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4088391&a=30811643&f=0)

DisneyFan25863
08-11-2003, 06:24 AM
Ugh. Disney really needs to get their act together :rolleyes:

Cadaverous Pallor
08-11-2003, 12:10 PM
How about if for every depressing photo, you post a happy one?

I feel bad for those that don't get to see the parks often and happen to see these pics. The vast majority of things at the park are gorgeous and concentrating on the few ugly broken things is not within context.

TP2000
08-11-2003, 12:54 PM
How about if Disneyland simply gets it's act together and fixes this stuff that's been broken or in disrepair for weeks now?

The Moon Rock has been gone for over a week, and they still have that ridiculous sign in the glass case. Since the Moon Rock isn't coming back and they are willing to lie to people by putting a sign that says "Moon Rock available for viewing during regular Park hours", why don't they just put in a regular old Earth Rock in it's place? Disneyland management is already lying to people anyway with the current sign, and most of the visitors that would stop to look at a fake Moon Rock won't know the difference.

If they no longer have the money or the style or the class to do things the right way, and they are putting up signs that are basically lies, then just go whole hog with the unethical stuff and install an Earth Rock in the old Moon Rock display. It would be cheaper than making a new sign, or having that small display removed from the exhibit.

DwoernAdale
08-11-2003, 10:35 PM
Yikes!

You hit that one RIGHT on the head TP.

That is a perfect microcosm of the problems plaguing the DLR.

I, like many others, only go once a year. When Im there I try to be suspended from my disbelief(suspension OF disbelief? suspended FROM my...err..nm).

As abhorent as TP's suggestion is, it would be FAR more enjoyable for me to say, "I saw a moon rock!" Than to say, "I wouldve seen a moon rock, but they were at lunch all 5 days I was there. The sign said so." once I returned home. If I werent a MPaholic, I would never know the difference! *ambivalent sarcasm off*

I have seen the DLR in good shape. I have seen it recently. Ya know what? I never notice the peeling paint and such while Im there, even though Im primed with the info on where to look. It always looks the same to me.

Its only when I get home that the reality of it sinks in. That I have a 2 year old along must keep it at bay at the time.

All that being poorly said, I like Darbeers photo essays. I appreciate seeing his concerns about the park. Al's too. I just dont dwell on it when Im there. At least not yet. And I hope it never gets so bad I cant ignore it.

Thats why I think that its a good thing that Darkbeer shows both the good and the bad. I might not make a comment about things that dont seem right in the park to guest relations or city hall coming back as I do behind a pair of rose colored ray bans if it werent for the fact they now catch on peripherally. Does that make ANY sense? I DONT see the bad, but I kinda do? :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks for the pics DB. Keep em coming.

~DW

Darkbeer
08-12-2003, 01:02 AM
You know, most of the stuff is easily fixed (Maybe not the Bluebird, but he could be removed to "see the doctor")

The Moon Rock issue, come on, I can come up with a decent looking sign with a computer program in a couple of hours, or less... " The Moon Rock will not be on display today", heck that is a LOT better than reading a sign that claims it will be available during normal operating hours, during normal operating hours...

Or how about the first time visitor in a wheelchair that see this sign...

Tarzan's Treehouse Wheelchair sign (http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=4088391&a=30809858&p=64467857&f=0)

Since there is no longer a CM at Tarzan's Treehouse, someone could be waiting a long time!!!! Covering up the "wait for assistance" with a sign, "please use ramp" would make a big difference... and it isn't like they can't fix signs, the MousePlanet weekly update showed that they do!

As for the Monorail stairs, I think it is MAJOR bad show, since it is at the entrance to the park, and sets the tone for the entire day... but maybe that is what Disney wants, a lowering of expectations. :(

As for the last week or so posts, it is frustrating... The ToT pictures get good coverage, but, alas, sometimes you have to say, hey, what is going on here... I know that Disney is seriously tightening the labor budget throughout the resort, but when they make a 20% net profit in the 3rd quarter, and attendance is up 3% in July, Disney can't cut that much out with affecting the guest experience.

For example, the Moon Rock, was it a big deal that it has been removed, no. While for some kids it was something to show, and maybe spark an interest in science, it is not the end of the world that it is not displayed. But placing a sign that claims the rock should be on display, that is Bad Show!

You know, Disney used to be known for going that extra step...

But what would happen if Disney was in charge of Knott's Independence Hall? Knott's runs this replica at no charge to the public, has many 5th grade school field trips, and keeps the historical importance of this building a key part of the resort.... Alas, if Disney was in charge, I could see the sign... closed for the summer....:(

The guest is paying their $47 (or however they get in, multi-day ticket, AP, etc...) to visit the park, and should expect a certain level of expierence.... Nobody is perfect, but lately I have noticed a drop in what Disney has offered, many more closed attractions (mainly due to breakdowns) which IMHO has to do with maintenance cutbacks. Heck, we know that they had to close the Monorails last week for 4 and 1/2 hours due to a flat tire... in the past, 3 trains had nightly maintenance, and were approved for service, and if one train went down, you could run a 2 train operation until the 3rd train was fixed. Now, with only two trains getting nightly maintenance, when one goes down, the whole system goes down...

How many times have the major Indy maintenance been postponed??? How many of these "101" breakdowns in the last year or so would not have happened if Indy got a major rehab?

Space needed to close, but it seems for whatever reason, it is going to take a lot longer than if it happened in another park.... Universal can gut a building and replace it with totally new track and scenes in about a year, but it will be 2 and 1/2 at the DLR... why, since Disneyland only wants to deal with one shift of workers, instead of 2 or 3?

How many budget cuts, at the expense of making a larger than average (based on current average returns in general) profit, in a down year will it take before large groups of people say, I used to remember when Disneyland was a lot different, and then decide to do something different for their next vacation....

I know that things change, and a decent profit needs to be made, but also sometimes you need to take some short term losses to make long term profit, and lately, Disney has been looking way too short term (IMHO).

But maybe I am just "old school"....

danyoung
08-12-2003, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by DwoernAdale
I have seen the DLR in good shape. I have seen it recently. Ya know what? I never notice the peeling paint and such while Im there, even though Im primed with the info on where to look. It always looks the same to me.

Nicely put, DwoernAdale. Every time I get a little overwhelmed by the negative press and pics here in online land, I visit and find myself completely satisfied with the park's condition. Sure, you'll find a few things not up to snuff, and sure, sharp-eyed web pundits should point these flaws out. It's just when the bad press gets so bad that webmasters are advising people to stay away that I get miffed. The average visitor will never notice.

blusilva
08-12-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
The vast majority of things at the park are gorgeous and concentrating on the few ugly broken things is not within context.

I went to the Pike once when I was a child. You know the only think I remember about it? A mechanical aligator in front of a ride, with a grotesquely broken lower jaw flapping hideously as it opened and closed, opened and closed. It gave me nightmares for years.

Was that out of context? No. It's an indelible memory of the Pike.

I have no doubt whatsoever that some small child is going to remember that the bluebird of happiness' neck was broken in far greater detail than any of the "gorgeous" things there. And, believe me, the context will be in big huge letters in that child's mind: DISNEYLAND.

Allison
08-12-2003, 11:30 AM
I am going friday morning, and I know I will have a great time, but not slapping some paint on the stairs that hundreds look at everyday, is just beyond belief.

I was wondering about Fantasmic. Do they still have the one poor CM with the yellow flashlight? I felt sorry for that one.
hundreds to one, it really blew my mind. this was in 2000.

SpaceMTJunkie
08-12-2003, 02:51 PM
Didn't you already post the picture of the stairs leading to the monorail? Why don't you just get over the fact that Disneyland isn't perfect and suck it up. It takes time to do maintenance and repairs. Go there to notice the grand things, not the few (and I mean few) bad parts. Overall Disneyland is still a 10 in my book. Why don't you let it be a 10 in yours also.

Disneyphile
08-13-2003, 09:06 AM
Me too! I think Tomorrowland is a perfect 10! Innoventions is the best thing to ever happen over there! And I just can't get enough of HISTA!!! And if they shut those attractions down too, it will still be a perfect 10! Heck, Disneyland doesn't need any rides at all! It will always be the perfect place, as long as we keep our mouths shut and let TDA think we love it just the way it is, boys and girls! ;)

danyoung
08-13-2003, 09:41 AM
WOW! The above 2 posts should be saved by all, put up on the wall as excellent examples of both ways of thinking. I find myself somewhere in the middle. I like to know what's going wrong, but I won't let myself be overwhelmed by it. I still love the place, even though I don't spend much time in Tomorrowland anymore (sigh . . . . .).

BrerFox
08-13-2003, 10:21 AM
Here-Here! The posts above reminded me that Disneyland is a park . Sure it might have a much better playground than any of the parks I've been to. But its still beautifully kept. And just as Walt said, "...even the trees will grow and make this place even more beautiful."
Only when you're bent on nit-picking will you find something that really offends you. (well, beside poor ol' Mr. Bluebird) And when the bluebird happens.....we'll all have to deal.
And one more thing......I'm sure all of you have watched Disney's Robin Hood. Maid Marrian says one quote that helps me wait on the bad things. "Absens makes the heart grow fonder."
I think that Tomarrowland can wait.;)

Disneyphile
08-13-2003, 12:32 PM
Please don't "praise" my post - it was meant in the highest level of sarcasm that I was capable of at the time.:eek:

On a serious note, it is my opinion that DL is starting to look more like Six Flags back when that park was still considered "themed". And that is MY opinion, and I don't expect others to feel the same way, nor will I say, "You should see it that way too!".