PDA

View Full Version : Packing in food

Bill Catherall
08-28-2001, 06:29 PM
Somebody mentioned in another thread that it is common knowledge in these parts that it's bad form to bring food into the park. Why is this so? While I was living there we would bring a picnic lunch whenever we went (every month). We would then buy dinner. It made it a little more affordable to take our two children to the park.

It seems that lunch is the biggest waste of money. You get much more food for your money when you buy dinner. So we just bring lunch and some snacks (because our kids literally eat around the clock, and aren't fat). Without the $10 worth of "groceries" we bring in we'd easily spend an additional $50 on the high priced food in the park.

So what's wrong with that?

:Edit: I'll also add that we still did by some snacks around the park. You just can't stop yourself with some of the great things Disney offers. It's just that we'd supplement our usually snacking with the food we brought in. It helped save money, but we were still able to sample many of the offerings of the park.

lisap
08-28-2001, 08:57 PM
I know DL really encourages people to put coolers in the picnic area and eat packed food out there. In fact, we have done that before and had a nice relaxing time in the little shady alcove. But usually we pack lunch or at least snacks to take in the park.

I once had a CM turn me away from the main gate for having a cooler in my stroller--he asked me to take it to the outside lockers. I know this is bad, but I merely went to the next line and got in no problem. If I had been quick on my feet I would have explained that my mom is a diabetic and needs to "graze" during the day to keep the blood sugar up--all true, but I got flustered.

I think if you don't make a big production out of it It's not bad form. But what do I know, I take free jars of honey out of swankey hotels and carry them around. I might not be the best judge of bad form.

Cadaverous Pallor
08-28-2001, 09:56 PM
The only reason it's "bad form" to bring in food is because Disney wants to make money. My mom used to sneak food in so that we could afford to go. If I weren't so lazy I'd do the same these days. There's nothing wrong with it at all.

Morrigoon
08-28-2001, 10:05 PM
unless you march into pizza port when they have a line out the door, not buying so much as a drink, take up a table for an hour, and leave all your trash for the CMs to pick up.

USofA
08-29-2001, 01:37 AM
It may be more economical, but it would be bad form to bring food into Disneyland. Why you may ask, so here goes.
#1 It is rude. You would never in a million years dream of going into the Rainbow Room in New York City or the Brown Derby in Hollywood or any other restaurant and pull out the picnic hamper. There is no difference.
#2 It is against the rules. Disney as a private park has stated a rule of no outside food. Just as they have no smoking rules, height restrictions, and the right to refuse service, they have the right to prohibit outside food.
#3 (Most Important Reason) It is a bad example for children. Why, see reasons #1 & #2 It only teaches children that if we don't like the rule, cheat.
In other threads, there are long discussions about how to enforce the rules that we as frequent visitors like. this is just the same.

scott

lisap
08-29-2001, 06:57 AM
Dear Scott,
I agree with you 100% that it's not okay to cheat just because a particular rule bothers me. But I'm sure you would agree with me that dietary restrictions are an exception and CMs are fine with it if you politely explain this to them.

Do I pack a bag of pretzels for my kids? Yes. Do I bring four course meals? No. But I have been known to carry in a happy meal to nicer restaurants that do not offer any children friendly meals and have never gotten any flack about it.
Do I always return the shopping cart to the cart corral? No always. Does this make me a bad person? Probably.
;)

TakeMe2Disneyland
08-29-2001, 07:28 AM
I'm disinclined to flagrantly violate the rules that keep Disneyland safe and pleasant to visit. However, I admit that I'm completely ignorant of any rule that does not allow outside food and drink to be brought to the park. Does anywhere know where we might read the "official" word on this?

hbquikcomjamesl
08-29-2001, 07:38 AM
Hmm. Just up the street at Disney Ice, I was working relief video crew for a big skating competition. They, too, have a no-outside-food policy for guests. At one point, they had somebody stationed outside the coaches', volunteers', and concessionaires' "goodie room," refusing to let people out with food. (Rumor was that it was hurting the snack bar's business.) Both I, and the engineer who ran sound for the competition, had to stop to explain that neither of us had the luxury of spending time away from our posts!

Why do theme parks generally have no-outside-food policies? Bottom line, because they're in business to make money. If it loses money, no more theme park. Cleaning up people's garbage is a reasonable cost of doing business, if the food that generated the garbage also generated some revenue. Outside food generally means garbage without the revenue.

Many concert and sports venues have restrictions on outside food. Hollywood Bowl is one of the few that doesn't (although for events not sponsored by the L. A. Philharmonic, they don't allow metal or glass containers, or outside alcohol).

Personally, I've never had a problem with Disneyland's no-outside-food policy

Bill Catherall
08-29-2001, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
unless you march into pizza port when they have a line out the door, not buying so much as a drink, take up a table for an hour, and leave all your trash for the CMs to pick up.
Yes, that would be very rude. We usually find an outside place that is not crowded to sit and have our meal. We only use a table because our children have a hard time eating out of their laps (they were 3 and 1.5 years old at the time). We clean up our mess and make sure all trash gets into a trash can. We even wipe down the tables when we are done.

Now I certainly don't want to start a flame war, but there are a few statements I want to address:

Originally posted by USofA
#1 It is rude. You would never in a million years dream of going into the Rainbow Room in New York City or the Brown Derby in Hollywood or any other restaurant and pull out the picnic hamper. There is no difference.
I understand what you are saying but I do see a difference. When you go to the Brown Derby you are entering a restaurant with no admission fee (well I've never been there but I'm just guessing). The purpose of the restaurant is to serve you food. Bringing in your own picnic is indeed very rude. But in the case of Disneyland you are entering a park that you had to pay to get in (so they already have some of your money). Their goal is to entertain. The food is there to make your stay more enjoyable. They mark up the prices on that food because they can (I have no problem with that; it's strictly economics).

#2 It is against the rules.
That rule is there for their own convenience. The other rules you stated are for guest safety. Sure I don't like it. But if bringing in some food that will make the trip a little more affordable will allow us to attend the park more often, I'm sure Disney would rather have us there with our food then not have us at all. (But looking at current park management I'm probably totally wrong.)

#3 (Most Important Reason) It is a bad example for children.
You're right. But it also depends on the age of the child. Some children are too young to know the rules. I didn't even know it was an official rule until you said so. (I'm just a much older "child." ;) ) But I'm still going to continue bringing in a sack lunch. Yes, that's cheating by the strict definition of it. But I'd rather be teaching my children to use judgement, be courteous to others, clean up after yourself, than make them fall into line and follow stupid rules. That's right...it is a stupid rule. But Disney has to have it there. If not, things could really get out of hand and they'd have no way of keeping control. I'm not trying to get the rule changed. I'm just saying don't be stupid when "getting around" stupid rules. :D Use judgement and don't take advantage. That's more important IMO.

TakeMe2Disneyland
08-29-2001, 08:45 AM
When we stayed at the DLH, the Concierge Lounge staff *encouraged* us to take beverages from the lounge into the park. I saw many, many people with refillable water bottles in the park, as well. So, I'm not alone in my ignorance of this rule.

I'm not thinking that it's necessary (at least for my family) to take in a catered meal, complete with all the attendant garbage, but is bringing a few juice boxes and some snacks in Zip-lok bags for us to nibble on in line something we would be better off not doing?

Lani
08-29-2001, 09:55 AM
I suspect the bottom line is Disneyland's desire to maximize profits on food sales. But the park isn't the only one, and in fact, places where you can take your own food is really in the minority. For example, I can take my own food to Network Associates Coliseum in Oakland, but the Sacramento Rivercats stadium does not.

Other places that do not let you bring in your own food, even though many sell their own food via concessions inside:

- All movie theaters
- All concert venues
- Most sporting events
- All museums
- Most retail stores
- Many amusement parks and carnivals
- All libraries
- Most mass transportation systems
- Some airlines

There are two issues here. One is that we shouldn't be violating their rules; the other is to question the existence of the rule in the first place.

TakeMe2Disneyland -- taking beverages from the Concierge Lounge is a different matter (I would highly object to any outdoor event or site prohibiting the taking in of plastic bottles). I somehow suspect that the staff did not encourage you to take bagels and muffins from the breakfast buffet table.

EandCDad
08-29-2001, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by USofA
It may be more economical, but it would be bad form to bring food into Disneyland. Why you may ask, so here goes.

scott #1 It is rude. You would never in a million years dream of going into the Rainbow Room in New York City or the Brown Derby in Hollywood or any other restaurant and pull out the picnic hamper. There is no difference.

Must strongly disagree with this one. Unless you do something like Morrigoon was mentioning, it is not rude to anyone to bring your own food into DL. I agree that it is better and more comfortable to eat in the designated picnic area, but I can't see how it is rude.

#2 It is against the rules. Disney as a private park has stated a rule of no outside food. Just as they have no smoking rules, height restrictions, and the right to refuse service, they have the right to prohibit outside food.

They certainly have that right. And they certainly have the right to ask me to leave or take my food outside if they desire. If they did that, I would comply, but I'm not infringing on anyone else or causing any potential harm. It is an economic issue for them, pure and simple.

#3 (Most Important Reason) It is a bad example for children. Why, see reasons #1 & #2 It only teaches children that if we don't like the rule, cheat.

That is a good point. We usually eat lunches outside the park in the picnic area. However, I'll live with bringing in water bottles and snacks. If I have to explain why to my children, I think I can handle it.

amynicole22
08-29-2001, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by TakeMe2Disneyland
I'm not thinking that it's necessary (at least for my family) to take in a catered meal, complete with all the attendant garbage, but is bringing a few juice boxes and some snacks in Zip-lok bags for us to nibble on in line something we would be better off not doing?

I don't think that anyone is going to give you trouble for toting snacks and juice around- I've done it several times and no cast member has ever even raised an eyebrow. I'm all for following the rules when safety, security, and courtesy are the points at hand, but this one I don't feel bad about fudging. If some pretzels and a water bottle in my backpack make me a horrible human being, so be it. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

I think the rule is in place both to boost their food sales and to prevent people from bringing things like glass bottles, alcohol, and other undesireable items into the park. It's too time consuming to check coolers for alcohol, drugs, etc., so if their policy is for you to leave them outside, they save time and avoid potential hassles.

Nigel2
08-29-2001, 02:59 PM
I am the one that brought up the bringing in of food BTW, but anyhoo, I can think of afew of the major reasons they made that rule up was 1 people bringing in tons of booze getting drunk and disturbing the other guests, more trash to dispose of which will cost more to clean up since no money is being generated in the sale of the product, dangerous containers being brought in, like glass bottles, as said before people using resturant tables for their food, and the biggest problem would be people bringing in coolers which could take up too much room, be a hazzard to other guests and so on. Here is another account of absurd behavior at disneyland, and I will swear on anything you hand me. You all know that basically everything in the New Tomorowland is completely or partially edible right? Well lots of guests like to take the fruit from the trees, which is bad but this is worse. Well infront of innoventions they had things like strawberries and onions planted, I see this hick family basically graze there which was bad enough, then I see the father pull out a knife and pull up an onion plant and peel it. Seeing that it was a potentaly dangerous weapon I alterted security, and the father was taken backstage. I swear why do you need a knife at disneyland? A bear from CBJ hasent attacked anyone in months.:D

PhilMP
08-29-2001, 06:34 PM
I see this hick family basically graze there which was bad enough, then I see the father pull out a knife and pull up an onion plant and peel it.

Wow, the Clampetts in Disneyland??? I've never seen hicks in Disneyland, and I'd wonder what they'd act like. Probably want to shake Abe Lincoln's hand because they've never met a real live President before.

I personally don't mind if Guests bring food into the Park. If you're smart enough to realize that Disneyland food is massively over-priced, then more power to ya.

And we all know that Guests can't resist the almight churro, so it doesn't affect my department one bit.

Phil

FantasmicFan82
08-29-2001, 07:18 PM
when you're waiting in line for a FL ride with a 2-year-old, they WILL NOT wait sfter the ride. nor do they understand the concept of a LINE. so if they want something, or they get bored and frustrated while waiting, giv'em food. that's it.

I have taken food to DL, I took snacks and juices for kids, there were 2 sdults and 3 kids, so it's WAY cheaper to do that than but $20 worth of churros (although that sound good right now.)

I have taken a linch to DL before. three teens took groceries to make sandwiches, all the stuff for it. it was cheaper that park food, of course, and we ate it in the picnic area.

Also, the Brown Derby and Rainbow room are Restaurants. Restaurants,t hat's it, they're meant for eating only. Disneyland is a park, there's more to DL than the food.

Nigel2
08-29-2001, 09:54 PM
I do like some of the food at disneyland, but usualy I am only there for a little bit, one day I might go to the usual sunday meetings. But I am gone before lunch and get something on the way home or whatever. I do like the beniegts at the Jazz kitchen, but I have a better recipee.

hbquikcomjamesl
08-30-2001, 11:55 AM
Other places that do not let you bring in your own food, even though many sell their own food via concessions inside:
- All concert venues

Actually (as I mentioned before), one of the most famous concert venues in the world allows outside food, so long as (1) you bring it in yourself, (2) you aren't dragging in coolers larger than the size limit, and (3) if you don't bring it in yourself, your caterer pays an "outside caterer" fee. You may have heard of it. It's called Hollywood Bowl.

At the Bowl, if it's an L.A. Philharmonic sponsored event, you can bring in practically everything. If it's a lease event, you're restricted from bringing in glass, metal, or your own alcohol, but that's about it.