PDA

View Full Version : Videocamera's in Disneyland, The secret of life, and other useless questions!

Pages : [1] 2

JRob2k1
08-28-2001, 05:00 PM
1 out 2 aint bad??

So here's the question:

What's Disneyland's policy on filming attractions and/or shows/parades?? I really want to videotape the Country Bears when I come down and I was wondering if two huge men in black suits and ear-pieces will hunt me down if I whip out my videocamera.....

Any info would be helpful. I have a pretty small digital videocamera that can basically fit in my hand. Even if it's illegal, do you think I can get away with it??

Thanks in advance,

-JRob

cstephens
08-28-2001, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by JRob2k1
What's Disneyland's policy on filming attractions and/or shows/parades?? I really want to videotape the Country Bears when I come down and I was wondering if two huge men in black suits and ear-pieces will hunt me down if I whip out my videocamera.....

Filming the shows is not a problem. For courtesy's sake, I would recommend that you not have the videocamera light on (it's *very* irritating to sit in front of one of those things), and if possible, sit farther back (which hopefully won't be a problem if your camera has zoom) so that someone else isn't in the position of having to look over/around your camera to see the show.

Have a great time!

ralfrick
08-28-2001, 05:34 PM
I've taped the Bears. Do take heed about using the light, though, unless it's infrared. Even then, you could catch flack on some indoors because it will look bright on the infrared security cam, even though it won't bother those around you.

I've set up a tripod for the fireworks and Fantasmic; no problems. We were on the balcony for Fantasmic, so had even formally asked permission of the CMs there. Obviously you need to be in an unobstructive locale for a tripod.

no1here
08-28-2001, 05:39 PM
We should have video camera party to tape the Bears before they are gone. I know I plan to tape it. Anyone?

JeffG
08-28-2001, 05:50 PM
One thing to note is that they will make an announcement if videotaping is prohibited at an attraction or show for some reason.

Off-hand, I can't think of any specific examples at Disneyland or DCA, but I recall that Walt Disney World does prohibit videotaping at Carousel of Progress for some reason. I'm honestly not sure why they had that policy, but they do make an announcement about it and someone in the group I was with was asked to turn off his camera. I would guess it is a copyright issue of some sort, but I can't imagine what Disney wouldn't own in that show.

I think they do also make "no videotaping" announcements at the 3D movies, but that is probably primarily because taping those would be fairly stupid... :)

-Jeff

Sheila
08-28-2001, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by cstephens
Filming the shows is not a problem. For courtesy's sake, I would recommend that you not have the videocamera light on (it's *very* irritating to sit in front of one of those things), and if possible, sit farther back (which hopefully won't be a problem if your camera has zoom) so that someone else isn't in the position of having to look over/around your camera to see the show.

Just to add my two cents to the "do's and don'ts"... For those of you using a viewcam (you know, the kind of camera where you watch what you're filming on a little monitor instead of through a viewfinder), please shut down the monitor during an inside show. It ruins the interior lighting for these shows because of the ambient bright light of those things. Plus, not to mention I find myself irresistably watching the monitor instead of the show!

I think the worst case I've experienced was at the Little Mermaid Show at Disney-MGM Studios in WDW. The shows relies on black-lit puppets - the person sitting in front of me with a viewcam ruined the show for most of the people around him (we could all clearly see the stage performers...) :(

As far as videocameras with infrared light: they should not be used on rides like the Haunted Mansion. Stops the ride cold and a chilling voice comes on over the PA telling you to turn it off. I'm not naming any names here but when I was with the person who inadvertently did this, it was totally embarrassing. ;)

Sheila

Thomas
08-28-2001, 06:16 PM
Videotaping and photographs are always allowed as long as they are not used for commercial purposes.

Morrigoon
08-28-2001, 06:28 PM
You can't videotape the movie because you're effectively making a copy of the product (a film/video), whereas the bears are an AA show, and you're hardly building AAs yourself. Typically, it's considered illegal to film movies or stage shows because of the risk of bootlegging the videos (say, if you were to tape a madonna concert when they want to sell tickets). In the case of DL, being an immersive experience, they don't seem to object to it. You still can't do it to movies because its a violation of the artists contracts or something.

But I've filmed on attractions and in the bears many times. Sheila, was that me you were on mansion with? B/c that happened to me once LOL. (It WAS embarrassing).

tabacco
08-28-2001, 06:34 PM
Millionaire won't allow taping, either.

JRob2k1
08-28-2001, 07:35 PM
Thanks for all the answers and whatnot? At least I can get the Country Bears one last time. And I promise to leave my light off, and I'll close the little monitor too, I promise!!

The light will still be adequate though for at least CBJ right?? Anyone with firsthand knowledge?

-JRob

Morrigoon
08-28-2001, 08:19 PM
Depends on the sensitivity of the camera. Mine can get it, but mine's a 0 lux. (Because of the nightshot feature). I didn't need the nightshot though, so don't worry that you dont have it (makes everything look green anyway). One thing you might want to check your camera for is the ability to turn up the aperture (light sensitivity) of your camera. That way, if it shows up too dark, you can put it on manual and turn it up til you like the images.

JRob2k1
08-28-2001, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
One thing you might want to check your camera for is the ability to turn up the aperture (light sensitivity) of your camera. That way, if it shows up too dark, you can put it on manual and turn it up til you like the images.

But how am I supposed to do this without my little flip screen? ;)

I always thought it would be fun, to be in the front row of Screamin and videotape the ride. It probably wouldnt turn out that good anyway though....

-JRob

Morrigoon
08-28-2001, 08:25 PM
If there's no crowd and you're in the back row alone, flip it out, set your light, and close it again. Otherwise... just do your best.

Gandalf
08-28-2001, 08:26 PM
Depends on the sensitivity of the camera. Mine can get it, but mine's a 0 lux. (Because of the nightshot feature). I didn't need the nightshot though, so don't worry that you dont have it (makes everything look green anyway). One thing you might want to check your camera for is the ability to turn up the aperture (light sensitivity) of your camera. That way, if it shows up too dark, you can put it on manual and turn it up til you like the images.
Ahhhh, finally someone who's got my attention completely! I'm starting to look into getting a new camcorder but not sure if the dv types are the way to go. I want to be able to video the dark rides at DL but still have the option of getting great outside video. I've got the Sony vid camera but it's a lux of 1. Any suggestions? I want to get some good minutes of the CBJ before it gets shipped off.

Morrigoon
08-28-2001, 08:43 PM
1's probably not bad.
If you have the time, do a test run of the bears, make any necessary adjustments, and film it again.

DV- oooh, me want, me want! The advantage to dv, well actually there's a couple. The first, is being able to edit in your computer, which believe me, is FAR easier than hooking up two vcr's or your camera and a vcr. (hint: if you do this, do not stop the video between cuts unless its going to be a long while before you find the next part. The best way is to pause it, get to the next cut, and unpause as you press play. Just be prepared to lose half a second or so on your cut.) The other advantage, and I'm not sure if ALL digital cam's do this, or just a few, but you can freeze an image out of your video. This really simplifies your day, as you can point your camera at something you want to photograph for two seconds, and voila! 60 images to choose from!
Plus, it's about as close to professional quality as you're going to get without actually BUYING professional equipment.

Sheila
08-28-2001, 09:13 PM
Sheila, was that me you were on mansion with? B/c that happened to me once LOL. (It WAS embarrassing).

Nope! Let's just say it was during a certain Haunted Mansion event from, oh let's say, a couple years ago. heeheehee. (I'm just glad it wasn't me!)

Sheila

Sheila
08-28-2001, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by JRob2k1
I always thought it would be fun, to be in the front row of Screamin and videotape the ride. It probably wouldnt turn out that good anyway though....

Actually, I was with someone who did take a videotape picture at the top of the loop on Calif. Screamin' (no, not the person on Haunted Mansion). We were all nervous that he would lose his camera and maybe bonk someone on the head with it! ;)

I think videotaping outside with the flipscreen would be just fine. It's the indoor taping where it becomes problematic. (Unless of course you're videotaping F! and a bunch of people are behind you.)

But I know that you'll do fine. Judging by your excellent manners and courtesy on this message board, I have no worries about you! :)

Sheila

JRob2k1
08-28-2001, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Sheila
Judging by your excellent manners and courtesy on this message board, I have no worries about you! :)

Sheila

Well, shucks!! You are so kind!! Just for that, you can join the NPFC, without the mandatory NP restraining order...Now I'm pulling some strings here, so dont take this litely! ;)

P.S. Digital video is soooo money!!

-JRob

Nigel2
08-29-2001, 03:22 PM
Well I am pretty sure they dont appreciate cameras in lincoln, well that would also be dumb since most of the show is on the headphones. But the reason for no taping in that is "to preserve the dignity". I think the rule applies for Golden Dreams also. WWTAM baning taping is logical since in the rare even you actually get the exact same questions as on the tape, also I dont think disney owns all of the show. Carousel of progress proably has the same reason as Lincoln for no taping, its such a famous and old attraction taping it would cheapen the experience for everyone else in the area. I actually was at WDW recently and saw Cirque Du Soliel La Nouba and with all the Cirque shows any recording is prohibited, besides the distraction and possible bootlegging, it is a very real danger to the performers, for example on act has a man stacking chairs to the rafters, which is proably about a 30 foot high tower, and he is balancing on the top of it. Yes he has a saftey line if he falls, but the chairs dont, and if they fall they could hit the audience which is very bad last time i checked. There was a girl taping the show against the warning of everyone, all I saw was an usher running over during an act, and she was gone instantly, I saw her at the end outside the building, and the securty guard was taking the tape from her.

AnimeNut
08-29-2001, 07:19 PM
Hey, everybody!

Finally, a thread I can really sink my teeth into. It's been quite a while since I've visited a Disney park without a camcorder in hand. Sure, it's a bit laborious at times, putting so much attention into operating the camera when I really should just be sitting back and enjoying the camera, but it pays off mightily back home after vacation's over.

Anyways, the above poster who stated that most movie-based attractions are off-limits is pretty much accurate. Sure, I did get away with taping Star Tours once, but I know it's definitely frowned upon. Most live shows allow videotaping. Here's a fairly incomplete list of shows that strictly forbid videotaping...

Disneyland
- Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln
- Honey, I Shrunk the Audience
- Star Tours

California Adventure
- Golden Dreams
- that Mondavi wine movie
- It's Tough to Be a Bug
- Who Wants to Be a Millionaire
- Muppetvision 3D

Magic Kingdom
- Legend of the Lion King (I think)
- Alien Encounter
- Carousel of Progress (I've seen quite a few people get away with taping this one, including my brother)
- The Timekeeper

Epcot
- Circle of Life: An Environmental Fable
- Wonders of China
- The American Adventure
- Impressions de France
- O, Canada

Disney-MGM Studios
- Sounds Dangerous (only a true moron would even bother)
- Star Tours
- Muppetvision 3D
- Who Wants to Be a Millionaire
- Animation Tour
- Rock 'n Roller Coaster (I have taped this a couple times, waiting until a few seconds before the launch so no CM's could stop me in time. The end result: really crappy video)

Animal Kingdom
- It's Tough to Be a Bug

As far as I know, the majority of the rides at all parks don't have any actual rules prohibiting the use of videocameras. Yes, most CM's will discourage it so as to avoid any lawsuits from guests who lose their cameras. For the most part, however, it all comes down to your own confidence in your ability to hang on to the videocamera. Keep viewscreens closed, since those little hinges won't hold up very well during particularly turbulent coasters.

On dark rides and indoor shows, USE THE EYEPIECE VIEWFINDER for cryin' out loud! It drives me nuts how so many people out there use the flip-open viewscreens for every single thing they tape. If you own one of those water-proof camcorders, then by all means tape Splash Mountain, Grizzly River Run, or Kali River Rapids. I would love to tape those rides one of these days, but my camera would probably grow a leg and kick me in the can before letting that ever happen.

Well, I think I've typed enough for now. One thing's for sure, I will forever treasure my video recording of the first and only time I ever rode Rocket Rods.

JRob2k1
08-29-2001, 07:29 PM
Wow thanks AnimeNut! Now that's information!

You want to tackle the meaning of life now??

-JRob

Andrew
08-29-2001, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by AnimeNut

Epcot
- Circle of Life: An Environmental Fable
- Wonders of China
- The American Adventure
- Impressions de France
- O, Canada

Add:
- Body Wars
- Cranium Command

Nice complete list otherwise.

Morrigoon
08-29-2001, 09:29 PM
JRob said:

You want to tackle the meaning of life now??

Nigel2
08-29-2001, 09:36 PM
Probably its safe to say that all of downtown disney's shows on both coasts are completely off limits to taping, but 100 percent positive about La Nouba being off limits.

JRob2k1
08-29-2001, 09:48 PM
JRob said:

Really? I always thought it was 13.5i...Intresting theory though!

-JRob