PDA

View Full Version : Party Foul 101...or What not to do @ DLR

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Anthony
08-08-2003, 04:03 PM
I am curious to hear from people as to what it is that makes you nuts regarding guest behavior at DLR? Are you a tool if you carry your pass in a lanyard? What makes you pull your hair out, and more importantly, what can I do to act like a pro, not a pud.

Gratzie!

Anthony

Not Afraid
08-08-2003, 04:07 PM
Do not, I repeat, DO NOT stand in the middle of a walkway or a doorway- especially if you are a group.

Bathroom entrances should be operated like roadways. Walk on the right.

Don't be standing next to a bathroom or in a walkway unless you want to be mistaken for a MPer.;)

millionairegirl
08-08-2003, 04:14 PM
I despise fanny packs. If you must lug stuff with you, a small backpack or purse is fine.

Please also wear clothes that fit you. I have seen too many size 10++++ people trying to wear a size 6. The excess has to go somewhere!

Bill Catherall
08-08-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Anthony
what can I do to act like a pro, not a pud. Be courteous to everyone no matter what kind of mood you're in, especially the cast members.

When it comes to wearing things like pins or your pass on a lanyard or a dumb hat (or fanny packs ;) ), don't worry about what other people think. The important thing is to have fun. If you're smiling and having fun then those around you will have fun, regardless of how weird they might think you are.

Enjoy the company of some of the strangers you are in line with or on a ride with. If some of them are singing along or reciting the spiel then don't let it get to you and ruin your good time. The "characters" you ride with make every ride unique. Don't sweat it.

scaeagles
08-08-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Bill Catherall
Enjoy the company of some of the strangers you are in line with or on a ride with.

To me, that's the best thing about the Grizzley River Run - that ride is perfect for a short conversation with new people, as you're looking right at them. During our trip last week, my daughter and I rode that thing 15 times or so and met great people each time.

SNL Addict
08-08-2003, 05:06 PM
Hey Fannie Packs are the Shiznit! I find them rather nifty. Nifty? Who says Nifty anymore? Oh well, If you want to do something that may annoy someone, either ask or dont do at all.

For Example I was on Splash Mountain with my Brother and some people in front of us wanted to rock the log a little so instead of just doing it they asked my bro and I first and we said it was ok! It was a pretty fun ride.
SO yeah I never know how to end my posts...

luvmickey
08-08-2003, 10:31 PM
Do not, I repeat, DO NOT stand in the middle of a walkway or a doorway- especially if you are a group.

You said it, sistah! Now, I shall be on my way. :D

cryan71
08-09-2003, 06:28 AM
A stroller is not a weapon.

blubayou33
08-09-2003, 06:33 AM
What makes me nuts as a CM are guests that don’t utilize their resources. I’d rather have you ask me a question now then yell at me later because you got lost, missed the parade, or waited 3 hours for Splash. ;)

lilbitopxedust
08-09-2003, 08:36 AM
I have several suggestions, most of these stemming from my experiences as a Main Entrance CM...

If you absolutely MUST use the bathroom next to the Bank of Main Street in Main Street, USA, don't crowd the path to the Cast Member entrance area.

If you're with a group and it's before 4 pm, do not mill about in front of the little building that's to the right of Turnstile 26 (I think) as you come in. There are CMs going in and out of there every few minutes before 4. If you get hit by the door, that's your fault for standing in front of a door that gets opened every few minutes.

If you have a stroller, don't pull it, PUSH it. I don't care if your kid is sleeping. If Security sees you they're going to ask you to do the same. Even if they don't see you, it's a safety hazard to other guests and to CMs. Be polite. Another stroller note, do not leave your rental stroller in the middle of a public walkway when you are done with it. You don't have to return it to the Stroller Shop; just put it someplace relatively out of the way.

If a bag-check CM asks to look in your bag/backpack/purse/fanny pack/camera bag, be cooperative and do not sigh, "It's *just* a camera/diaper bag/cooler/backpack/fanny pack." We have to check it. If you have an issue with this, talk to the idiots who perpetrated 9/11. Oh, and if you have a fanny pack, for the love of God, take it off your waist. Preferably before you get to the bag-check table.

Don't try to be funny at the bag checks and say, "Sorry, I left the guns and bombs at home." That's an automatic foul and adequate cause for CMs to page for security.

If you have a hankering for a Frappucino or a SoBe (or any kind of drink that comes in a glass bottle), kindly fulfill the urge before you enter the Parks. Glass is not allowed inside.

If you are exiting the Park and coming back later on in the day, get a handstamp at the exit. If you are in doubt as to whether you are returning, get a handstamp anyway. Similarly, if you are "hopping" across from DL to DCA (or vice-versa), get a handstamp. When you return or hop, show both your ticket and handstamp at the turnstile. Always. Always know where your ticket is, and have it ready before you get to the turnstile. And keep in mind that one handstamp is good for both parks, so if you hop five times you don't need to get handstamped every single time. I

If you ride Grizzly River Run at DCA or Splash Mountain at Disneyland (especially multiple times), ensure that your ticket is well-protected from being wet. Water can damage the ticket barcode, rendering it unreadable.

Bill Catherall
08-09-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by lilbitopxedust
If you ride Grizzly River Run at DCA ... ensure that your ticket is well-protected from being wet. GRR has free (?) lockers (for short-term use) by the line just for this purpose. Your chances of getting completely soaked through are very high. (I have ridden it once where I got only a little bit wet, but I was very lucky.)

mystycalchyk
08-09-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Bill Catherall
GRR has free (?) lockers (for short-term use) by the line just for this purpose. Your chances of getting completely soaked through are very high. (I have ridden it once where I got only a little bit wet, but I was very lucky.)

Two words

Zippy bags

good for cell phones too BTW ;)

lilbitopxedust
08-09-2003, 10:32 AM
oh yes, and before I forget (this seems to be happening to me a lot lately)...

Please do not attempt to bully, guilt or otherwise coerce a CM into granting you special "favors" that could jeopardize a CM's standing with the company and/or future employability in general. This includes requests to re-enter through the exits in order to circumvent long lines, asking for handstamps once you have exited the Park gates (or asking for a handstamp which you did not get when you left before you re-enter hours later), asking a CM to grant you entrance into a Park without an appropriate ticket (ie, using a one-day Disneyland-only ticket to enter DCA, when you have already used the ticket at Disneyland), or any of hundreds of other possibilities.

Remember that this is our job, and the majority of us do take it seriously, however menial it may seem to you. Some of us are using this job as a "bridge" between better or more suitable jobs in these tough economic times. Don't ask us to do something which could cost us a future job, as well as our current one.

Every effort will be made (by most CMs) to accommodate a reasonable request (ie, if you forgot or were not made aware that a handstamp and your ticket are necessary to re-enter the Park). Asking a CM to jeopardize his or her job for you, however, is reprehensible and, in my case, will not be tolerated.

Kuzcotopia
08-09-2003, 10:49 AM
Don't chant the spiel unless you are alone. Some folks haven't ridden this ever. This isn't the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Big deal, you memorized lines, it's not a feat.

Don't take flash pictures anywhere it's dark. Especially Pirates. URGHHHH!

Don't hang out next to the cast member you have a crush on.

Don't answer questions that are directed to that cast member, just to prove how much you know about Disney.

Don't force a child on a ride they are frightened of.

Don't shout to other members of your party across a crowd. It hurts our ears.

Don't spend the whole day on a cell phone or worse, loud walkies. If it was important to talk to those people, they would be there. We don't appreciate hearing your stupid conversation. Just tell them where to meet you, and hang up.

In other words, don't act like you're the only person in the park.

Bill Catherall
08-09-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by mystycalchyk
Two words

Zippy bags

good for cell phones too BTW ;) Nah. Too simple. I like to complicate things. ;) (Note to self: Take Zippy bags on next DL trip.)

GeminiAngel
08-09-2003, 02:46 PM
I gotta say, Living and working in Vegas we too see lots of fanny packs. Now what I don't understand is, why do some folks hate them so much? They are awesome!!! let's see: stroller. backpack (used as a diaper bag, and stays with the stroller when we are on rides. so its one less thing to carry :rolleyes: ) video camera, regular camera, and toddler. Fanny Packs Rule!!!!:D

chinamama
08-09-2003, 03:49 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kuzcotopia
[B]

"Don't force a child on a ride they are frightened of. "

Well most of the time.... My daughter however is autistic and
is scared of EVERYTHING new, however last year our trip to Disneyland was a turning point for her!!! We went from screaming, trying to grab ahold of anything or anyone to save her from having to go on the monorail, Heinrich's chew chew and small world (maybe you saw us last year :rolleyes: Thanks to those of you who tried to calm her down!) to this year begging to go back.... and making WONDERFUL leaps and bounds in her progress overall!!!

In fact most people now think she is just a bratty hyper kid instead of Autistic!!!

Soooo please don't judge us to harshly.... If you see an old white mama and daddy carrying a screaming Chinese little girl on the rides this Oct its just me and I AM going to ride more this year than Small World, tea cups and the chew chew train! ;)

Kuzcotopia
08-09-2003, 03:56 PM
Gotcha.

Yeah, I think that scary rides are good for kids, because they get to conquer their fears.

But on the other end of the spectrum was the dad I saw yelling at his 4 year old daughter on Catastophe Canyon (Disney Studios FL).

There's a flood, and explosions and real fire, and earthquakes, and you can feel the heat, and the child is crying, and the dad isn't comforting her, instead he's yelling:

"Shut up!! SHUT UP!!! YOU'RE BEING STUPID!!! THIS ISN'T REAL!!! SHUT UP!!!!!"

As long as you don't do that!!! LOL!!!

Nancy
08-09-2003, 06:11 PM
Fanny packs are great. With backbacks you have to remove them when on the rides or you must lean back on them, which is uncomfortable. Even if you put them on your front they usually get in the way of the safty bars. Where as a fanny pack can easily be moved to your side to lower the safty bar into place. I vote for fanny packs.:)

Kuzcotopia
08-09-2003, 06:15 PM
I love fanny packs when I'm in the park.

They're REALLY USEFUL!

But they're kind of a fashion no-no. Wear them frontwise and you look like you have a pot-belly! Wear them backwards and you got back!

Nancy
08-09-2003, 06:48 PM
I must admit, I don't use one anyplace except DLR:)

ec7k2o
08-09-2003, 07:18 PM
if you're going to hold your children's hands, please don't walk against the flow of traffic... :rolleyes:

disney_leonard
08-09-2003, 08:11 PM
I used to use a backpack but it became so comfortable I often forgot I had it on- until I turned and banged the pack into someone. Now I am a fanny pack convert.

wannabe-disneygeek
08-09-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Kuzcotopia
I love fanny packs when I'm in the park.

They're REALLY USEFUL!

But they're kind of a fashion no-no. Wear them frontwise and you look like you have a pot-belly! Wear them backwards and you got back!

Umm, shouldn't that be

"Wear them backwards and you got BUTT!"??

Fashion statement or no, sometimes there's no substitute for practicality and usablility, I think.

...--Alli

Attractions 87
08-09-2003, 09:05 PM
Don't take flash pictures anywhere it's dark. Especially Pirates. URGHHHH!

Flash pictures won't come out for many of the dark rides. SO dont waste your film. If you really, really want a pic inside a dark ride, you'd do better to get high speed film.

Don't hang out next to the cast member you have a crush on.

The Characters would especially appreciate that. Especially because you really don't know who is in the costume.

Don't be a stalker, either. We don't think it's cute or cool that you know the schedule of every character cast member. We think it's scary.

Don't chant the spiel unless you are alone. Some folks haven't ridden this ever. This isn't the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Big deal, you memorized lines, it's not a feat.

Agreed. Don't chant the spiel. It's okay if you don't have a life. Just don't advertise it.

Don't force a child on a ride they are frightened of.

This rule is violated so many times. Unlike DCA, there are a whole lot of other rides your kid can still go on in Disneyland. (At least, there were. Most everything is closed now) There's no need to traumatise him over one ride.

And lastly, for those of you who come to Disneyland in business suits or drag cells phones along, relax!!!! For crying out loud! It's Disneyland. Take a day off and dump the cell phone. The world will get along without you for a day. Your family will appreciate it.

Attractions 87-93