PDA

View Full Version : The Disney Museum

wonderful
08-28-2001, 02:39 PM
I was lucky enough to talk to a rather enraged guest the other day who "couldn't believe" DL was changing mansion... and she calmed down after I explained the "make over"...
But, in a split second, she says, "What about the Beeearrsss!!!!?"
Um... well, they're history. Gone.
She looked like she was going to explode... perhaps she did, but she left so I didn't get the show.
The whole thing got me to thinkin' of Lincoln, of the Carrousel of Progress... and, yes, dare I say it, to The Electrical Parade!! Why are we so dead set on keeping the old? Did Walt want to create amuseum?
I feel folks when they see a part of their past being replaced, I do... but what about DL being a show, a thing that "can change and grow"? Think about it.
We mourne the Bears and pooh Pooh... but Pooh is the character our youngsters are in love with, Pooh is going to be THEIR story to tell their kids about.
Change is almost always good... it at least means some effort is being put in somewhere. What will become "The Hundred Achre Hollow" will almost surely be an improvement on a "land" whose only real purpose right now is to act as a queue to Splash.
Sure, I'd like to see the hunchback show again, and I sorta miss (REALLY miss) Captain EO, and I think the Electrical Parade is pretty nice (not my favorite, sorry), but I'd much rather go to WDI and say, "how bout something new guys"....
Everything, even "Walt's original ideas" (which were many Imagineers' collective ideas, folks) can be improved... seems that was one of the points of DL... to push to the next level.
I urge you to just think of what DL would be if we never changed a thing... a museum.

Corith
08-28-2001, 02:51 PM
Because, so much of what the current management team is creating is inferior to what is currently there. We don't trust them to create attractions of quality. After all their track record is rather poor - light magic, New tomrrowland, DCA.

Now, if the same people behind Disney Sea were doing the replacement for the bears, I don't think you see quite as much whining about the loss of the Bears.

no1here
08-28-2001, 02:53 PM
Change is almost always good... it at least means some effort is being put in somewhere.

Emphasis on the word almost. Lately, most of the changes have not been all that good. How about some major attractions like Indy or Splash Mtn. Not just Pooh meets Superstar Limo.

Nigel2
08-28-2001, 02:54 PM
Ohhh this guy is asking to be barbequed, now where is my fireproof suit, oh I left that at the Darwin Awards fourm. Change is good, but some cant let go.

Morrigoon
08-28-2001, 03:01 PM
I would have to say the major objection is the quality (or lack thereof) of the replacements. You take a mechanical marvel like the CBJ, with AA characters that "perform" and appear to have distinct personalities. Then you rip it out and replace it with a cut-rate plywood cutout ride. This, despite the fact that an even better attraction could be made, on a similar budget, by reusing an area not currently occupied by an attraction (the old motor boat cruise). Here they already have canals with a submerged track; not doubt probably still have the mechanical items to run them, only needing to be brought back up to speed, rather than purchasing a whole new system. They even have landscaping. All they'd need to do is add boats and some AA's to the land areas and voila! A DISNEY-quality attraction (by that I mean what we expect of them, not what they've been building lately), that people will want to go on, which removes NOTHING from the park experience, rather, it adds to it. There have been plenty of things closed with no replacement. How about building something that doesn't cause the loss of something else?

Anyway, the Small World mall area is also underutilized. With light magic and the fabulous Mulan Parade gone, the viewing platform is less used. It would make a nice queue for Pooh. Also, if Pressler wants a store, he has two options. The first is to expand the souveneir "chalet" between that area and the Matterhorn. The second, is take out a corner chunk of the Light Magic viewing area, build a 2-story building there. The bottom, a store, and the top, a viewing balcony for the parades (set up especially for the famous dessert buffet service which would bring additional revenue.

So with options like that, those of us who really like the CBJ fail to understand the necessity of removing yet another classic Disney attraction just to be replaced with a basic fantasyland style plywood cutout dark ride.

Nigel2
08-28-2001, 03:37 PM
Actually turning the small world prominade into something like that would be cool, espically since that place is like an oven during the summer.

Morrigoon
08-28-2001, 03:46 PM
If they were putting pooh into the motor boat cruise area I'm sure I'd be looking forward to it. Pooh or no it's a pleasant ride, and I remember enjoying it very much when I was a kid.