PDA

View Full Version : Where's the best off-site dining?

Pages : [1] 2

CarlieB
08-07-2003, 02:10 PM
Just wondering which off-site restaurants people like to frequent?
Anywhere up to 20 minutes drive away would be good...

Personally, I haven't eaten off-site all that often. Once I'm in the area, I tend to stay there :) That said, I've had the odd snack from the McD's across the road, and several breakfasts and one dinner at the Tangerine Grill at the Anabella Hotel. I also had dinner once at the old Acapulco that used to be opposite the Howard Johnson (the Margaritas there were insanely large!:D )

tod
08-07-2003, 02:28 PM
Do a search on Mimi's and Tacos mi Pueblo and you'll find more than you can use.

--T
battle-scarred veteran of the restaurant wars
:fez:

hondo1975
08-07-2003, 02:29 PM
Clearmans Northwoods Inn is the best place for a steak. When ever we make a trip out to DL we make sure to set aside time to go there for dinner. The address I got off the web is 14305 E Firestone Bl La Mirada, CA 90638, 714 994 4590. I do remeber though that it is about 15 mins going west on the I-5. Great food and great atomsphere.

JeffG
08-07-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by hondo1975
Clearmans Northwoods Inn is the best place for a steak. When ever we make a trip out to DL we make sure to set aside time to go there for dinner. The address I got off the web is 14305 E Firestone Bl La Mirada, CA 90638, 714 994 4590. I do remeber though that it is about 15 mins going west on the I-5. Great food and great atomsphere.

That would be north on I-5 rather than west. Since it is a north/south freeway, going west on it would pretty much just be driving across the road. :)

I do second that suggestion, although it probably is on the high-end of the distance range that the original poster suggested. It is definitely one of my favorite area restaurants.

Another option to consider at just a slightly smaller distance might be a visit to Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant at Knott's Berry Farm. The restaurant is outside of the theme park (it actually pre-dates the park) and generally provides a large quantity of good food at a very reasonable price. Just be prepared that it sometimes can have a pretty long wait to get in and they don't take reservations except for large parties (I think 12 is the minimum).

-Jeff

justagrrl
08-07-2003, 02:58 PM
For a great steak dinner at a really reasonable price I highly recommend The Steer Inn. (casual dining - sawdust on the floor sort of place - no reservations available)

Steer Inn 801 S Tustin , Orange 92866 714-639-2434

Also really really good is Yen Ching in Orange. Don't even drive by if you aren't going in because they funnel the most wonderful smell onto the street as you drive by. Little more upscale then Steer Inn - real cloth tablecloths and all that.

Corner Bakery and Cafe Tu Tu Tango at The Block at Orange are also very good.

Great Italian and other sandwiches, and many italian goodies at Cortina's in Anaheim - near Brookhurst and Orange. VERY well known place. Always busy but quick with your order.

mystycalchyk
08-07-2003, 03:20 PM
We always hit Tony Roma's just outside the park

:rolleyes: I'm sure I'll get a barrage of folks disagreeing with me. But we are always walking (to and from the park from our hotel) so we want a place we can easily get to. And it's reasonably priced and has always been good for us. (bettter than McD's anyday IMHO)

JeffG
08-07-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by mystycalchyk
We always hit Tony Roma's just outside the park

I'll back you up on that. While Tony Roma's is a chain, it is one of the better ones. I've eaten at the one across from Disneyland on a number of occasions and have generally had good experiences there. They also don't seem to jack up their menu prices as much as some of the other chain restaurants on Harbor Blvd. (the Denny's and IHOP, in particular, tend to have unusually high prices for those chains.)

-Jeff

cstephens
08-07-2003, 05:09 PM
I say Fuddrucker's (http://www.fuddruckers.com/locations/ca.html) in Buena Park.

Bruce Bergman
08-07-2003, 06:35 PM
If you want to get a couple miles away from all the tourists doing touristy things around Disneyland, I have just the place for you... :D

Chris & Pitts BBQ Restaurant - a small So-Cal chain, the atmosphere is a bit dated early "Wild West" with deep stuffed red vinyl booths and mood lighting, but you didn't come here for the atmosphere... You came for chicken, ribs, barbecue and steaks and darned good ones, and very reasonable prices considering the generous portions.

Yes, this is the same Chris & Pitts chain who licensed their name and BBQ Sauce recipes to Durkee Foods for national sales.

601 N Euclid, Anaheim, CA 92801 Phone 714-635-2601
Go north on the I-5 about two ramps from Disneyland, make a right and it's about one block east of I-5 on the left/north side of the street at Crescent. Or go look it up on Mapquest and they'll get you there from your hotel easily...

Closed Mondays. Full bar, beer and wine. Visa & MC. Put your name in at the reservation desk and expect a short wait on weekend evenings.

Now it's an hour's drive from Disneyland on a good day (two plus with traffic) but if you're up in the Valley already (like at Universal Studios Hollywood) there's the real gem of the little Hole-In-The-Wall BBQ Dives that has the Texas-style vinegar based BBQ - Dr. Hogly Wogly's Tyler Texas BBQ Restaurant in Van Nuys... (Yum!) :p :fez:

--<< Bruce >>--

LibraryGirl
08-07-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by cstephens
I say Fuddrucker's (http://www.fuddruckers.com/locations/ca.html) in Buena Park.

Yumm!! I love Fuddruckers! I have not dared to try the buffalo or the ostrich burgers. The chicken strips and burgers are very good there!! :D

jrad32
08-07-2003, 06:39 PM
Duke's in Huntington Beach is great. Try a lava flow. I'd also second Chris & Pits for good BBQ.

Sailor Butterfly
08-10-2003, 04:21 AM
Denny's, Subway....and if you're really desperate (i.e. when you're hungry at 4am and don't want to be around people)....7-11. lol

MontanaKC
08-10-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Bruce Bergman
Now it's an hour's drive from Disneyland on a good day (two plus with traffic) but if you're up in the Valley already (like at Universal Studios Hollywood) there's the real gem of the little Hole-In-The-Wall BBQ Dives that has the Texas-style vinegar based BBQ - Dr. Hogly Wogly's Tyler Texas BBQ Restaurant in Van Nuys... (Yum!) :p :fez:

--<< Bruce >>--

That is my husband's absolute favorite rib place in the entire world!

Kim

ksejr1
08-10-2003, 11:04 PM
i enjoy the spagetti station across the street :D

chinamama
09-14-2003, 11:01 PM
Any more good suggestions where to eat OUTSIDE the park?
ONLY places you can only go to in So Calif.....

We have a rule at our house, when on vacation we can only what we can't have at home, So we subsitute In and Out for McDonalds! :D

Chinamama
ONLY 18 more days!!!!!

justagrrl
09-15-2003, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by tiggergrl
i enjoy the spagetti station across the street :D

ew.

Captain Josh
09-15-2003, 09:48 AM
Alrighty, one of my areas of expertise, unique dining experiences.

1) Watson's Drug Store, Orange, CA

A authentic soda fountain/fully functional pharmacy in The Circle, Olde Towne Orange (although, it escapes me as to how to get there, right now...I think you exit Glassell on the 57, and head north). It has one of the greatest cheeseburgers in the county, (second only the Katella Deli, in my opinion), and a great nostalgia value. The menu harkens back to the good old days of Americana, typical soda fountain fare. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner until 9pm

2) Shenandoah by the Arbor, Los Alamitos, CA (also in Belmont Shore, but that's a bit farther than I'd like to go.)

An "casual-upscale" restaurant open for lunch and dinner. The cuisine is southern inspired, for the most part, but nothing TOO southern. The food is pretty decent, but some of it seems a bit lacking for the price you pay. In my opinion, most of that money goes to maintaining the ambience. The restaurant is built into an old house, but most of the seating is outside, in the backyard, which has a big mulberry tree and a koi pond. Great stuff, but a bit pricey.

3) Cafe Hiro, Cypress CA

For something a little more "exotic", and out of the way, I recommend Cafe Hiro. It is a small, (tiny, actually) Japanese-inspired eatery....well, not really inspired, the head chef, once worked with the likes of big names such as "Chef Nobu" of Masuhisa. But he's in it for his own now, and he's got a great little place. The entire restaurant barely holds more than 30 people, at most. But the food is great, and cheap, most entrees ranging from $10-15, including soup and/or salad (I think you get both, but not sure)

4) Cafe Arte, Cerritos CA

Another small, "casual-upscale" place, but unlike Shenandoah, the prices aren't that upscale. I can't think of any other place that once served Chilean Seabass for under $20. The portioning is moderately sized, a good "just right" feeling to them.

5) Cafe Felix(?), Orange CA

Located in the same area as Watson's, Felix shares the same wonderful ambience of The Circle. Felix is a Cuban cafe, with all sorts of Cuban dishes, all of them very good, and reasonably priced.

6) Gourmet Pie, Cypress CA

Another small, local eatery in Cypress. Gourmet Pie got it's popularity by word-of-mouth. The menu is very basic "american" but all the food they serve is made from scratch. Everything has a certain home-made quality to it, and is worth checking out, especially for breakfast. I've never actually gone for lunch or dinner, but the prices are sure attractive...

7) Katella Deli, Cypress CA

As mentioned earlier, Katella Deli has THE best restaurant cheeseburger in Orange County. But as the name implies, it is a deli at it's heart, and the menu reflects that. You can find just about anything you'd expect to find in a busy New York deli, and then some. Just another great local place in the ol' OC...

PapiBear
09-15-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by LibraryGirl
Yumm!! I love Fuddruckers! I have not dared to try the buffalo or the ostrich burgers. The chicken strips and burgers are very good there!! :D

Wow, they have buffalo burgers? Buffalo meat is actually very similar in flavor to beef, although it's slightly sweeter. It's also MUCH MUCH MUCH healthier for you than even chicken or fish! Its fat content is ridiculously low, yet its protein content is super-high. It's the only red meat endorsed by the American Heart Association. Next time you're there, don't hesitate to try the buffalo burgers! You WILL like them, I guarantee it!

(Ostrich I can't speak to - never tried it....but I do know it's healthy!)

HBTiggerFan
09-15-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by G-Hawk
7) Katella Deli, Cypress CA

As mentioned earlier, Katella Deli has THE best restaurant cheeseburger in Orange County. But as the name implies, it is a deli at it's heart, and the menu reflects that. You can find just about anything you'd expect to find in a busy New York deli, and then some. Just another great local place in the ol' OC...

YUM!!!! It is THEE best restruant on the planet! YUM! And if you are a pickle lover it is a do not miss! Everything is excellent (never had the cheeseburger but have had plenty of corned beef sandwiches), and reasonable and the service is excellent!

Klutch
09-15-2003, 02:56 PM
Since Belisle's closed, I like to go to Marie Callender's, which I think is on Tustin. There aren't any franchises where I live, so it's a nice treat. Their dessert's are quite yummy.

Cadaverous Pallor
09-15-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by G-Hawk
1) Watson's Drug Store, Orange, CA

A authentic soda fountain/fully functional pharmacy in The Circle, Olde Towne Orange (although, it escapes me as to how to get there, right now...I think you exit Glassell on the 57, and head north). It has one of the greatest cheeseburgers in the county, (second only the Katella Deli, in my opinion), and a great nostalgia value. The menu harkens back to the good old days of Americana, typical soda fountain fare. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner until 9pmI work in Orange. I love this place and splurge on a lunch there every once in a while. I'd recommend it for breakfast or lunch rather than dinner.

Anyway, here's how you get there from Dland:
5 south
22 east
exit Grand/Glassell, turn left
You'll hit the traffic circle, which is Chapman. Turn right (which is all you can do, anyway) and turn right onto Chapman. It's on your right, should have obvious signs. For parking turn right onto side streets - there are public parking lots, as well as streets to park on.
Here's a Mapquest link. (http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&2n=ORANGE+COUNTY&1n=Orange&1pl=D&1np=3&ct=NA&1ex=1&1pd=QPUgNEgr4hWShSg09LpBNVF%252bPYjnno0w4%252fxB0o 4HOtja1n%252fhctw6xRtxtc98c6Do3ks%252b3dUTQhjVRldn A67tVJFLM4N8DdZ%252f&1g=qG75mVlDLTgNFhJ4906tRg%253d%253d&1y=US&1l=rEPOnPnXe9s%253d&1n=Orange&1s=CA&1c=Anaheim&1pl=D&1np=3&2y=US&2a=S+GRAND+ST+%26+E+CHAPMAN+AVE&2p=&2c=ORANGE&2s=CA&2z=92866&2ah=&lr=2&x=70&y=7)

Mickeyslittlehelper
09-15-2003, 05:35 PM
Hooters on Katella, and Outback Steakhouse on S. Harbor.

chinamama
09-15-2003, 09:02 PM
Keep um coming kids!!! This is great!!! You mean I don't have to drive up to the fairfax district for a pastrimi on rye.... drooling just thinking about it!!! :D

Lived in KoreaTown in LA 10+ years ago for 3 years, now the boonies of So. Oregon, boy I miss good food!!!

Hubby is going to want to hit the fountain and the Cuban place, there goes my diet!!!! :eek:

Chinamama

sleepyjeff
09-15-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by chinamama

Lived in KoreaTown in LA 10+ years ago for 3 years, now the boonies of So. Oregon, boy I miss good food!!!

Chinamama [/B]

So. Oregon...........that means you are close to a BURGERVILLE:eek:

chinamama
09-16-2003, 06:00 AM
About 125 miles away.... but headed that way tonight!

Chinamama :D