PDA

View Full Version : Spot to watch Believe?

Wade Shrader
08-07-2003, 09:08 AM
I apologize, I'm sure this has been asked multiple times, but we're WDW veterans who are heading west in 2 weeks! We have 2 sons with cerebral palsy (one in a wheelchair), and I was wondering in general what are some suggestions about the best place to stake out a spot to watch the fireworks? And what time do we generally have to be there?

We'll be going the week before LaborDay, just for the info.

Thanks alot for the info! I'll probably be posting some last minute questions over the next few days.

Wade

millionairegirl
08-07-2003, 11:04 AM
I personally like to watch Believe from Rivers of America. If Fantasmic! isn't showing then you could have the place to yourselves. It's a pretty good view, good sound, and it's not crowded. Another good spot to watch (with seats!) are the benches at the train station, but you will have to get there early to stake your claim. Fantasyland (by Mr. Toads) is another good spot, and it has a good Tinkerbell view.

Whatever you do, don't watch from the hub. Your view is blocked by trees, and the exit is horrible.

Cadaverous Pallor
08-07-2003, 11:13 AM
The best traditional place to watch Believe is between the end of Main Street and the hub statue (I'd guess about a third of the distance from the end of Main Street to the Walt/Mickey statue). I'd get there at least 20 minutes before showtime and stake out a spot in the middle of the street. There you will get the full music, the full view of the castle, the correct perspective on all the fireworks, and a great view of Tink flying.

I don't know the difficulties you may have with your sons...if you don't want to have them wait around that long, you and your spouse can take turns browsing on Main Street with them while someone stakes out the spot. I would have them in place 10 minutes before the show, however.

Oh, I just realized, if they are in wheelchairs it may be hard for them to see from this spot, as everyone is standing. I can't say that I know a good place for someone in a wheelchair....

I hope this helps anyway.

olegc
08-07-2003, 11:45 AM
if it's your first time seeing believe then the Main Street spot is best . the framing of the different explosions around the castle is key to getting the best "show". If you'll be seing it a second time, we found that sitting across from Small World, almost to the gate where the parades go into the backlot, to be an excellent place. You're really close to the fireworks and I was in total awe at the intense light coming from them when I saw it. It was great!

tod
08-07-2003, 05:02 PM
1. In the Plaza, at 10 o'clock, with the Castle being 12.
You get the from-the-castle fireworks, you can see Tinker Bell's flight, and if you're quick you can head anywhere in the park afterwards -- except Main Street, which will be crowded.

2. In front of it's a small world
You're closer, and it's louder. There is less ability to see the Castle effects -- they pop up from behind some trees -- and there's always the possibility that people will start ordering you around ("LOOK BEHIND YOU! LOOK BEHIND YOU! AT THE MATTERHORN!! LOOK! LOOK!") which is kinda off-putting.

You also will get stuck in a crowd on your way out, although the alternate-to-the-parade route on the west side of the walkway (behind the hedges) is usually wide open.

That's my sugestion(s).

--T
:fez:

Cadaverous Pallor
08-07-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by tod
2. In front of it's a small world
You're closer, and it's louder. There is less ability to see the Castle effects -- they pop up from behind some trees -- and there's always the possibility that people will start ordering you around ("LOOK BEHIND YOU! LOOK BEHIND YOU! AT THE MATTERHORN!! LOOK! LOOK!") which is kinda off-putting. Would you rather have everyone miss Tink's flight?

tod
08-08-2003, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
Would you rather have everyone miss Tink's flight?

I prefer to just turn around and look at the Matterhorn, silently. If nobody catches on, I elbow the people I'm with and point at the Matterhorn. Ideally, the domino effect will kick in and people will look on their own. Once she clears the Matterhorn, the crowd reaction will spin the few who haven't caught on... but ideally they're already looking that direction.

--T
black shirt or bust, Sunday the 10th

Cadaverous Pallor
08-08-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by tod
Ideally, the domino effect will kick in and people will look on their own. Once she clears the Matterhorn, the crowd reaction will spin the few who haven't caught on... but ideally they're already looking that direction.Do I have to point out that "ideally" is the key word here? I have been there and said "turn around!" and had no one listen to me anyway. If I see a young kid watching the show I'll definitely clue in in mom and dad - there's no way I could "turn silently" and let Junior miss one of the most magical moments of the day.

Just my 2 cents.

Not Afraid
08-08-2003, 04:01 PM
I, too, will make sure that people around me near Small World will see Tink. I will especially help the little kids by pointing them in the right direction. I have had many thanks from parents for my actions. I have also had CMs make sure everyone is looking in the right direction. This can be done subtly enough to not spoil the magic of the program. Only once have I experienced an obnoxious adult who had a booming, authorative voice and completly spoiled the show, despite his good intentions.

cstephens
08-08-2003, 05:48 PM
There are usually enough of us watching Believe from Small World Mall that when we turn around to look at the Matterhorn, others turn out of curiosity to see what we're looking at. We start to clap as soon as we see Tink launched off the Matterhorn, so if people haven't turned around yet, they usually do at that point to see what we're clapping at, and they're usually turned around at the point when you can see her really well through the trees.

disney_leonard
08-09-2003, 09:19 PM
I agree with Olegc- if it's your first time you need the castle in view from the hub area. After that there are several places that have been mentioned. I like the fence along the Storybook cruise near the tea cups. I also make a point of telling people to watch for Tink.

Guest_Control
08-10-2003, 12:48 AM
I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but the top deck of the Hungry Bear restaurant has a pretty nice view, aside from a few trees being in the way. It's much less crowded than every other viewing area, and even though it's missing the effects and music, it makes for much more romantic setting.

TheatreTech
08-10-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Guest_Control
I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but the top deck of the Hungry Bear restaurant has a pretty nice view, aside from a few trees being in the way. It's much less crowded than every other viewing area, and even though it's missing the effects and music, it makes for much more romantic setting.
But, doesn't the Hungry Bear close early?

Guest_Control
08-10-2003, 04:47 PM
The top deck can be accessed from the bottom one by a set of stairs. There shouldn't be any problem getting up there after the restaurant has closed.

Elly
08-10-2003, 06:01 PM
I recommend the end of Main Street just in front of the photo shop. Stand in the center or just to the side of the photo shop so the trees on the left don't block your view.

Tiki Junki
08-11-2003, 06:25 AM
Thanks for all of the "where to be for Believe hints." Does anyone know if the fireworks run during Fall weekends? It is not appearing on any of the entertainment schedules for October. But I don't want to assume that means it isn't going to be shown.

We're going Oct 9 - 12.

Thanks