PDA

View Full Version : You can't eat that here.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Pirate Girl
11-07-2012, 07:23 PM
So... I had possibly one of the oddest interactions at a Disney park to date today.

I've had a seriously rough past few weeks, my grandma has Parkinson's and she's just had a turn for the worst and had to move out of her house into assisted care. I've spent the past few weeks painting and prepping her new studio, moving all her furniture and prepping her old house to end her lease.

So I decided today that I was going to take an afternoon for myself and go to Disneyland. :fez: I treated myself to some Earl of Sandwich, and wandered around in the park for a bit before settling down to watch the parade this evening. I acquired some cotton candy (a possibly twice a year splurge for me) and found a good spot to wait.

After a while, a family with a few kids land next to me on the curb. I pulled out my cotton candy and started to munch, when the mom comes over and says: "You can't eat that here."

:| ... :confused:

So at this point I'm genuinely confused... did Disney institute some new rule about food on parade routes? So I ask her what she means and she responds with: "Well I already told my kids that they can't have any cotton candy today, so you shouldn't sit next to us and eat that."

So I remind her that I was sitting there first, and there was still plenty of time for her to move to another location if she didn't want to sit near me and my cotton candy.

At this point she starts loudly talking to her husband about how rude some people are, and "why do people even come here without kids" because Disney isn't for "them".

:mad:

It was SO weird!

On the upside, the parade was great!

candles71
11-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Hugs Pirategirl. Some people really do think the world revolves around them and their precious offspring. You acted appropriately to the situation and you can't reason with some people.

adriennek
11-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Ok, I think that's just funny.

Who does that???

I mean, what if you had kids and were sharing your cotton candy with kids, would she have told you that you couldn't give it to your own kids because she told her kids no???

Someone sounds a little narcissistic.

Escape2Disney
11-07-2012, 07:55 PM
All I can say is WOW!

You did the right thing. Don't let that crazy narcisist spoil your happy place.

Jeffreaky
11-07-2012, 08:55 PM
That's amazing, great story! People are crazy.

SigalTchelet
11-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Just outrageous and oh so wrong. You most certainly did the right thing! Hope you thoroughly enjoyed your cotton candy!!

sgrap
11-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Good gravy, that is crazy! Good for you for handling it well.

Made me think: wasn't Walt Disney an adult when he built Disneyland? It think it is for 'kids' of any age!

tea4two
11-07-2012, 09:24 PM
Hugs and kudos to you for keeping your cool. I would have been so confused by her odd behavior -- hope we never run into that woman in the parks. sgrap is right, DL is for kids of all ages (but, I hope, only the sane ones)!

TTFN92
11-07-2012, 10:03 PM
You have to get a good laugh out of that one. What a ridiculous thing for her to say. That would have gotten a big eye roll and whatever from me as I ate my cotton candy and enjoyed every second of it :rolleyes:.

lilfaeriebrat
11-08-2012, 06:21 AM
Thank you for my morning laugh. Had it been me I would have asked "oh is it posted that you can't eat here? Where's the sign?" And then proceeded to shove a big piece in my mouth.

Mermaid
11-08-2012, 06:35 AM
Wow!! What a loon! I hope you enjoyed your cotton candy extra good after that!

MammaSilva
11-08-2012, 06:41 AM
Add me to the I hope you savored every bite of that cotton candy. How rude of her and then to go into that whole dramatic conversation with her husband. What a nutcase.

ChurroGirl
11-08-2012, 07:00 AM
Please say you said, "yummm" with every tidbit.

I agree you acted appropriately. Some people don't see the that Disneyland is for kids of ALL AGES.

amazedncal
11-08-2012, 07:07 AM
Wow, what a bizarre thing for someone to say! I feel sorry for her husband and kids, yikes, imagine living with a wacko like that.

You handled yourself really well! That's the type of situation where I later think of a million clever things I could have said. The fact that you kept your cool and kept your ground says a lot about you. You're in the middle of a tough situation with your grandma and you really needed a happy day. You deserved every bit of that spun sugar treat :)

bennette
11-08-2012, 07:18 AM
I wonder what happened when the mom realized the park was FULL of people, selfishly eating treats left and right--in complete view of her children!

Weird!

shna
11-08-2012, 07:44 AM
In my head, I would have wanted to noisily savor every bite -- "Mmmm. This cotton candy is so good. In fact, it may be the best cotton candy I've ever had. Too bad your Mom is a nutjob! Mmmm ... COTTON CANDY." I more likely would have said that my Mom asked me to go to Disneyland and eat cotton candy as I sat on Main Street to watch a parade. "Should I listen to YOU or to MY OWN MOTHER? I can't handle decisions like this!"

Some people are just FREAKS.

dlfansx4
11-08-2012, 08:01 AM
Wow, that is crazy!!! I don't know if I would have been able to come up with a response to that. I would have been having too hard of a time picking my chin up off the ground ;)

shna
11-08-2012, 08:14 AM
Would it be ok for ME to eat a turkey leg? You're not vegetarian (or trying to cut down on sodium), are you? I hope you don't have diverticulitis -- 'cause I'd really like to have some popcorn. Please tell me you're not allergic to chocolate -- 'cause I really want a hot cocoa. Do you keep kosher? I could really go for a cheeseburger right about now - but not if it's against your religion. :eyeroll: What on EARTH would give her the idea that her rules should trump everyone else's?

The possibilities are endless!

monkeyboy
11-08-2012, 08:19 AM
I think I would have licked some of the cotton candy, stuck it to my chin and started pretending I was a Southern Colonel from a classic Warner Brothers Cartoon...
"Oh, Belvedeah.... come heah, boy!"

Aysle
11-08-2012, 09:00 AM
After her conversation with the hubby I think I would be compelled to offer her kids some :~D

foolishmortal
11-08-2012, 09:22 AM
In my head, I would have wanted to noisily savor every bite -- "Mmmm. This cotton candy is so good. In fact, it may be the best cotton candy I've ever had. Too bad your Mom is a nutjob! Mmmm ... COTTON CANDY." I more likely would have said that my Mom asked me to go to Disneyland and eat cotton candy as I sat on Main Street to watch a parade. "Should I listen to YOU or to MY OWN MOTHER? I can't handle decisions like this!"

Some people are just FREAKS.

I love this!

foolishmortal
11-08-2012, 09:23 AM
you did the right thing! I hope that was the best cotton candy ever!:fez:

Nom ..Nom..Nom...:~D

ThatCrazyRedhead
11-08-2012, 09:31 AM
Wow. That is just too much crazy for words. I would have been tempted to say something really mature like, "You're not the boss of me!" and stick my tongue out at her. My husband and I are childfree and go to Disneyland as often as we can. I honestly don't know how I'd respond if someone told me Disneyland wasn't for us. Probably not with as much class as Pirate Girl.

Mermaid
11-08-2012, 09:41 AM
Turn to the husband and say "Mr. Disney, I am loving your park. Thank you so much for building it for us. I didn't realize cotton candy eating wasn't allowed at your park but Mrs Disney here has enlightened me!"

SoCalStacy
11-08-2012, 10:37 AM
I would have said, "Wow that sucks for your kids!" and then I would have started making yummy delicious sounds. "Oh yeah this cotton candy is SOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" ;)

That mom sounds like a pathetic loser. Maybe she should teach her kids that just because they can't have something doesn't mean the rest of the visitors can't. I have kids, and guess what? They aren't spoiled brats and when I tell them no, they deal with it. They know if they can behave, they may get a special treat or a pin or something. They earn it.