PDA

View Full Version : Sad day (for me) at Disneyland - No More Custom Watches...

olegc
10-29-2012, 06:50 AM
As reported on another website (http://micechat.com/14960-wreck-it-ralph/), Disneyland (and WDW) has discontinued the Custom Watch program in the parks. To me - its another unfortunate casualty in the cost-containment and profit-margin focus that is the norm now at the Parks. While not cheap many of these custom watches - both individual and generally themed - were amazing pieces of art created for you. I loved watching the artists work and asking where they got the inspiration for certain designs, themes, or even elements in a particular art piece. It was, after all, about the art itself and not the watch (at least to me). I get that they may not be as popular in this economy (still dragging on) but its unfortunate that the program is gone.

About 10 years ago or so I was in the store - and Charles Landholm (http://disney.go.com/disneyinsider/collectibles/artists/charles-r-landholm) (one of the artists) and two other CMs were talking about what to name one of his new designs. It had Mickey's face, three long squiggles, and three triangles at 9, 12, and 3. They were trying to come up with a name that had three in it (and a couple were not really appropriate). I was listening to their conversation and just openly offered "How about "Uno Mouse Tres", a play on Uno Dos Tres. Well, they loved it and used it. It became one of the most succesfully sold watches of Charles' work there. I can't claim full credit because its just a name - the art was great. Classic yet with modern twists. However, I like to think now I have a very tiny piece of Disney lore I can claim (and I do have #1 in the series).

Charles is a fantastic artists and I checked in with him from time to time at the parks. I was able to finally introduce my whole family to him this past July while we were there for my 50th birthday. Charles related the story and it was a fun moment. I hope he's able to still be around in some capacity at the Parks. Losing quality artists over time at the Parks is a negative in my opinion.

Rockchalker
10-29-2012, 07:44 AM
No!!!!!!!!!!!! As I look down at my purple Sorcerer Mickey watch my daughter picked out for my birthday in 2006, I am very sad. I was going to treat myself to a new watch this Christmas when we were at WDW. This is really disappointing.

I remember going to bed at 3am on New Year's Day 2000 only to get up at 5:45am to get the limited edition designed, 2000 Disneyland watches. What great memories.

olegc
10-29-2012, 08:11 AM
they of course will continue to sell the stock on hand - but after that its done. I sometimes wonder if moving it to the new them (fortuosity) and having all that other merchandise in there took the focus on the watches and made it a secondary item, kind of hidden from discovery. Who knows.

BTW - the shop is decorated with hundreds of crows for Halloween. this week is the final time to see it.

LacyBelle
10-30-2012, 12:14 PM
I, too, am disappointed with the removal of this. It was such a quaint thing to see them creating these great watches. They are much too large and bulky for my small wrists so I never purchased one, but watching the creations was a joy.

I have noticed the disappearance of watches in general in the resorts in the past several years. I looked forward to purchasing a watch (or two) each trip and tended towards the bracelet-style watches. They are in short supply of late and getting fewer each trip. I would love to continue to add to my Disney watch collection, but I suppose those days are ending.

Fewer people wear watches now days, as most just rely on their cell phones and computers for the time. I suppose that is feeding this trend of reducing that merchandise option. It's a dying custom, I'm afraid. (Wow, I suddenly feel old.)

olegc
10-30-2012, 12:16 PM
OT - but yes I know the trend away from watches. Its too bad because I think its faster just to twist your wrist instead of reaching into your pocket or purse, and sliding or poking a finger at the screen to make it light up - just to see the time.

I myself don't see the convenience in this. And beside, when you're in the middle of an app, and you need to see the time, is it still displayed on your phone screen? probably not..

houseofmouse
10-30-2012, 12:25 PM
I love watches!! I have a bunch! I currently need to replace the batteries in them as I seem to kill them off quickly! All mine are disney but I never did have a custom one. Bummer. :(

dlfansx4
10-30-2012, 01:46 PM
Awww, I'm sorry to hear this. But I guess that it will make the custom Dumbo watch that DH had made for me last year even more special.

Pirate Girl
10-30-2012, 11:12 PM
Very much a bummer. :( My hubby was one of the watch artists at WDW for nearly 10 years, we relocated and now he's an artist at Disneyland. This announcement has kinda shaken up their department. The watch artists will all have the opportunity to stay on as custom sketch artists if they choose to, or apply for a new program that is debuting in the parks soon.

On the upside... they are now offering custom attraction sketches alongside their character sketches. Not a replacement for the watches, but a cool new option!

rph13
10-31-2012, 06:59 AM
Olegc- awesome story! It is a very sad day indeed. I do not have any of the watches but I have a few prints from the artists. I think it was Charles I met this summer, I was just waiting around for the kids to come back from grabbing fast passes and wandered into the watch shop. He started to talk to me and we had a great conversation, when the girls came back he asked to be introduced to them and really showed my younger daughter a lot of his art stuff and just the general setting he has there. We were all impressed.

olegc
01-16-2013, 10:14 AM
well, I guess the CUSTOM watch program is dead - but the LE Watch program is alive and well. Just not on a regular basis. See the Disney Parks Blog HERE! (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/01/make-time-for-oswald-the-lucky-rabbit-with-two-new-timepieces-from-disney-parks/)