PDA

View Full Version : 4 and 5 day passes now require separate entrance line and ID

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

ttig34
10-25-2012, 06:22 AM
I haven't seen this posted yet, so thought I would put it out there. Per someone on another board, 4 and 5 day tickets now require you to enter at turn stiles 15 and 16 (at least those were the turn stiles yesterday)and print and sign your name on the tickets, as well as show ID.

I don't mind signing and showing ID, but wonder how crowded the turn stiles will be with only 2 lines, especially of you are behind a bunch who has yet to sign their tix and have to have it entered in the computer.

And someone said even with a hand stamp, they again had to show ID when they re-entered.

Guess they are really trying to crack down on ticket sharing.

Drince88
10-25-2012, 06:26 AM
I don't mind them requesting ID (the first person was going to on mine, then found out it was the first day of use -- but nobody ever did after that. I picked up my ticket at the ticket booth (prepaid from an official vendor) and the woman there very carefully printed my name on it).

I DO mind them limiting it to specific gates. That's ridiculous, they can check ID/sign tickets at any gate.

candles71
10-25-2012, 06:33 AM
I agree Cathy. I am all for id and names, but only 2 turnstiles? That is ridiculous.

CADisneyFam
10-25-2012, 06:36 AM
do you know what age they require an ID? I mean my teen will have her state issued ID since we are flying but she doesn't always carry it with her walking around. She is 17

currence
10-25-2012, 07:59 AM
I don't mind signing and showing ID, but wonder how crowded the turn stiles will be with only 2 lines, especially of you are behind a bunch who has yet to sign their tix and have to have it entered in the computer.

They have tried exclusive turnstyles before with mixed results. I'm guessing without knowing that if they only allocate two turnstyles then as a percentage of total visitors, there are not that many who have those passes. But, and this is where "renting" tickets comes into play, those passes may be the ones that most often hold up the line by needing a supervisor/lead to explain that the tickets are not valid. If it is two turnstyles, plus a dedicated lead, then all of the lines may move a bit faster.

I wonder if they will keep this up through the weekend, when there are traditionally more locals just visiting for the day? If they can convince people with 4-5 day tickets that their lines are shorter, it could be seen as "exclusive access" gates rather than a burden. Of course, that is somewhat problematic if they are not allowed to use the regular gates anymore.

3Princesses1Prince
10-25-2012, 08:53 AM
do you know what age they require an ID? I mean my teen will have her state issued ID since we are flying but she doesn't always carry it with her walking around. She is 17

I think they can't require ID for under 18.....but if she has it, she should get in the habit of carrying it.

janell
10-25-2012, 10:32 AM
I think its great that they are checking IDs. What I do not like is only 2 lines open. Thats nuts! Its going to cause confusion, guest being in the wrong line. Splitting families and parties up. Not everyone in the same group has the same passes or tickets. To bad there isnt an easy way for disney to make tickets with photos in the computers like they do for AP. It makes getting through the line faster.

candles71
10-25-2012, 11:09 AM
I hadn't thought of that. The kids will have 4 day hoppers, but DH and I have passes. Let's just make it more confusing. At least my kids are old enough to be in a line by themselves, I wouldn't put the youngest by herself but with her siblings.

disneyobsessed
10-25-2012, 11:39 AM
I think they can't require ID for under 18.....but if she has it, she should get in the habit of carrying it.

I agree. When they took the photos off the APs a year and a half ago, some of the CMs got over-aggressive about demanding ID even for minors when trying to use the pass discounts, but Disney has since backed off this. I think they can't really require ID of people under age 18. It seems like it would be a good habit though for a 17 year old to carry ID. I'm always surprised for instance when I'm in the bank behind someone trying to make withdrawals or conduct other financial business, and they are flummoxed when asked to show picture ID.

I hadn't thought of that. The kids will have 4 day hoppers, but DH and I have passes. Let's just make it more confusing. At least my kids are old enough to be in a line by themselves, I wouldn't put the youngest by herself but with her siblings.

I would wait in the 4-day pass line with your children even if you have APs. Disney doesn't have the right to separate parents from their minor children, and you should not have to split your family up to enter the park, especially if it makes you uncomfortable to do so.

candles71
10-25-2012, 11:49 AM
We had a cast member telling us how, all these people don't carry ID, and if there were an emergency they would not be able to identify people, and that was why they took the pictures off. We took it as her opinion. (she does make a somewhat valid point)

disneyobsessed
10-25-2012, 11:58 AM
We had a cast member telling us how, all these people don't carry ID, and if there were an emergency they would not be able to identify people, and that was why they took the pictures off. We took it as her opinion. (she does make a somewhat valid point)

I've heard lots of cast member stories about why the pictures were taken off but never that one. The most prevalent story we heard is that lots of people don't carry ID and auditors and Disney brass came down hard on the use of credit cards without official ID. The claim was that too many CMs were allowing the Disney ID to stand-in as photo ID for credit card transactions, but the higher-ups wanted only official government ID to be used so the thinking was that more people would be forced to carry their ID with them if their picture was no longer on the pass. I also heard stories about finicky photo printing machines, easier cheap cards without the photos, etc. Who knows what the exact thinking behind this was?

I too can see the point about not having proper identification with you for emergencies, credit card use, etc, but then I'm one of those people who carries my ID with me everywhere I go outside the house except maybe the mailbox.

Ferb
10-25-2012, 02:09 PM
The claim was that too many CMs were allowing the Disney ID to stand-in as photo ID for credit card transactions,

Which with most credit card issuers means that Disney should of paid a fee for each transaction. It is against the merchant agreement to ask ID with credit cards. Your signature is collected to be matched against the one on the back of your card, allowing increased convinience.

So instead of having a picture and name on one, they wanted it on another?

Wenderbell
10-25-2012, 02:42 PM
If this is in any way going to help bring back the extended 6-8 day pass option I'm all for it. Perhaps if they can force the ticket renting/sharing to stop by cracking down on names/IDs, we'll get the add-a-day passes back.

currence
10-25-2012, 02:50 PM
I don't know what Disney is planning, but since most multi-day tickets have a 13 day F-use, theoretically they could only crack down on weekdays and still come out ahead on most tickets. Especially for the 5+ day tickets, if they make people take the time to sign them on weekdays the most unsigned days one could use a ticket without having to sign it would be 4. As long as weekdays are less crowded that weekends this would inconvenience the fewest number of people while significantly cutting down on the ticket rental schemes.

3Princesses1Prince
10-25-2012, 03:02 PM
Which with most credit card issuers means that Disney should of paid a fee for each transaction. It is against the merchant agreement to ask ID with credit cards. Your signature is collected to be matched against the one on the back of your card, allowing increased convinience.

Which is why I never sign the back of my card because I want the merchant to actually check my ID.

Drince88
10-25-2012, 03:07 PM
Which is why I never sign the back of my card because I want the merchant to actually check my ID.

Do you have 'check ID' written in the space? I've heard you should do that so that 'just anybody' can't sign it and voila, their signatures match!

3Princesses1Prince
10-25-2012, 03:08 PM
Do you have 'check ID' written in the space? I've heard you should do that so that 'just anybody' can't sign it and voila, their signatures match!

Yes.

codewoman
10-25-2012, 03:09 PM
I both sign and write 'check photo ID' on it. Then I thank people when they ask. Because, evidently, some people get ticked! And I notice they're asking more often now.

3Princesses1Prince
10-25-2012, 03:14 PM
I both sign and write 'check photo ID' on it. Then I thank people when they ask. Because, evidently, some people get ticked! And I notice they're asking more often now.

Many places don't even look at my card or ID....just swipe and sign. Very frustrating in this day and age of ID theft.

candles71
10-25-2012, 03:22 PM
There is a threshold for it these days. Most businesses are set at $25. I have encountered some that are lower. I, too, thank them for asking. I want them to check it.

missm
10-25-2012, 03:48 PM
You should always have your card signed along with check ID if that is what you want. The card should always be signed though. I personally have my card signed, see ID written on the back and in capital letters (permanent marker) on the front across the card. The merchant does not have to take your card if it's not signed.

I hope they start enforcing ID and signing the ticket at the front gates. I can't stand people that sell their unused tickets! I know that sounds harsh but seriously I really feel like those people had a direct impact on the reason DL stopped selling longer length parkhoppers.

kiowa
10-25-2012, 04:32 PM
Many places don't even look at my card or ID....just swipe and sign. Very frustrating in this day and age of ID theft.

I'm a manager at a 5 star hotel and If we receive a credit card that says CHECK ID on the back and doesn't have a signature we won't take it. We've had many unhappy travelers who have been turned away because they don't sign the back of their credit card, and we do not budge on that policy.

3Princesses1Prince
10-25-2012, 05:07 PM
I'm a manager at a 5 star hotel and If we receive a credit card that says CHECK ID on the back and doesn't have a signature we won't take it. We've had many unhappy travelers who have been turned away because they don't sign the back of their credit card, and we do not budge on that policy.
It's not that I would refuse to sign if I was ever in the position to need to. It actually didn't occur to me to both sign and write check id. It just amazes me that most places don't look at my card, let alone ask to see my id.

candles71
10-25-2012, 05:18 PM
The only place I have ever tell me that is the post office.

disneyobsessed
10-25-2012, 06:58 PM

I think it's against the agreement to refuse a sale if the customer doesn't show the ID. The merchant can get away with asking and then if the customer refuses and the merchant completes the sale anyway, there's no violation of any terms between the merchant and credit card company. Disney found a neat way to sidestep that whole issue for a large number of their guests by removing the photos from the AP cards. Now any AP who wants to take advantage of the AP discount is required by Disney rules to show a picture ID for the purpose of verifying that they are using their own Disney AP card. If they happen also to be paying by credit card, then they've been ID-checked without explicitly being asked for ID as a condition of the choice of payment. Sneaky, huh? Still not sure what's in it for Disney exactly since they've already got access to a bunch of information for every AP anyway. Again, don't have any idea if this reason had anything to do with why they actually took the photos off the AP cards; it was just another one of the stories going around whether it made any sense or not.