PDA

View Full Version : Tom Hanks' movie to film at Disneyland - OCRegister [Merged]

MousePlanet AutoPoster
10-24-2012, 02:00 PM
Tom Hanks' movie to film at Disneyland (http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&fd=R&usg=AFQjCNGf9rtab4uiUv6tN2hKuv3eqrb1_g&url=http://www.ocregister.com/entertainment/disney-375568-hanks-movie.html)
OCRegister
Because the movie is set in 1961, crews can't risk accidentally filming any regular guests in the background, said Suzi Brown, a Disneyland Resort spokeswoman. Instead, Disney has asked its employees to apply as extras who will appear as Disneyland ...

and more » (http://news.google.com/news/more?ncl=d918iiTMwVSyzSM&ned=us)

More... (http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&fd=R&usg=AFQjCNGf9rtab4uiUv6tN2hKuv3eqrb1_g&url=http://www.ocregister.com/entertainment/disney-375568-hanks-movie.html)

Andrew
10-24-2012, 05:12 PM
According to the OC Register article, some areas of the park will close November 6-7 for filming.

Rapunzelthorn
10-25-2012, 06:56 PM
According to the OC Register article, some areas of the park will close November 6-7 for filming.

Those are the two days that we will be going to the parks. Any predictions on how this will affect crowds? I wish that we had known sooner. We would have chosen different dates. :(

Rapunzelthorn
10-25-2012, 07:07 PM
I also wish that they hadn't announced it in the local paper! :rolleyes: I'm wondering if we shouldn't change our dates. :eek:

Barberella
10-26-2012, 01:02 PM
You could change your dates now. Or you could get out your google and figure out which areas of Disneyland existed in the early 60's (ie: the castle, swiss family robinson treehouse, tom sawyer's island, IASW...etc) and which areas didn't (TomorrowLand was totally redone well after the 60's - (the late 80's? the 90's?); Splash Mountain; BTMRR; ...) <---(going by memory here...don't shoot me if I'm wrong.)

My point is that alot of the park has changed in 50 years and I doubt they will be filming anything that wasn't there in the early 60's as they will want to be authentic.

I'm guessing also that the production company and Disney will do everything that they can to minimize impact on regular guests - filming certain scenes before opening - redirecting guests to alternate paths, etc.

It might be one of those times where it's actually a good idea to go (they've warned the locals to decrease attendance?) - OR - it might be a good idea to change the dates. Unfortunately you won't know if you made the right choice - until after Nov 6-7.

Rapunzelthorn
10-26-2012, 02:05 PM
Thank you, Barberella.

We have decided to go on Monday the 5th and Tuesday the 6th. That way, we will have all day Monday at Disneyland to do whatever we want without obstructions. On Tuesday, we are going to hit California Adventure first and try to hit Cars Land first thing in the morning then we will head back over to Disneyland to finish out the afternoon and evening. The frustration really comes from not knowing if this announcement will increase traffic or decrease it! There is no way to know if the chance of glimpsing a star will persuade more people to make it to the park that day, or if the hassle of barriers, etc. will make people decide to avoid it. I'm hoping for the latter. As you said, maybe it will actually be a good time to go. :confused:

Barberella
10-26-2012, 04:29 PM
I think you have a good plan. I'm guessing (emphasis on the word guessing) that you won't have much of a problem on the 6th, but it's good to have a plan that you are comfortable with. :)

I was trying to remember back to when I first went to Disneyland (early 70's). They still had the A to E-ticket books and the big scary rides were the Matterhorn Bobsleds and Skyway.

Found a link to 1971 A to E-ticket books "Adventure Books" for WDW at AllEars: http://allears.net/tix/tixpix70.htm (At that time, the MK was a virtual copy of Disneyland (except for the Matterhorn). Disneyland was for the West Coast and WDW was for the East Coast.)

If these attractions still exist - plus the castle, of course - they will be filming in those areas - which in my view are easy to detour guests around out of camera range.

I'm guessing they'll shoot Main Street before the park opens, as Disney has no plans to close the park and they may want to bring some of the old Main Street vehicles out of storage.

ETA: Don't look at the prices back then - you will start to cry. :crying:

Rapunzelthorn
10-27-2012, 12:43 AM
Ahh, the 70's...good times. I remember the ticket books well; wondering around the parks trying to use up your remaining tickets. I was just describing Adventure through Inner Space (definitely not an E ticket!) to my eleven-year-old son the other day! I can definitely relate to what you are saying.

I agree about them probably filming on Main Street and at the castle. I have read that there is a scene in the script that calls for Walt and the author of Mary Poppins to be on the carousel (don't know how accurate this is). So, probably the carousel as well. I read that this movie is coming out in December! So, I guess that we don't have to wait long to see how the scenes at Disneyland turned out. I also read that they are having cast members act as extras in the film.

Apparently, when they filmed That Thing You Do! in 1996, they used bobsleds for the Matterhorn that were blue and yellow and also used an older costume for Mickey to make the scenes more authentic looking. I don't know what color the bobsleds actually were in the 60's, but the ones that they used for the film definitely look different than the ones in use at the park at the time of the filming.

Actually, I looked at some clips from Forty Pounds of Trouble (shot at disneyland in 1961) and the Matterhorn sleds were yellow and red in the film.

Rapunzelthorn
10-27-2012, 04:10 PM
Oops! Actually, the movie will be out in Dec. 2013.

jcruise86
11-02-2012, 09:40 AM
C'mon fellow Walt Disney fans/admirers/worshippers,
this isn't like when Gandhi was filmed and 1,000,000 Indians
showed up to honor the Mahatma by being in the funeral scene.

No, wearing your old clothes from 1964 (good year, btw) will not
get you in the Tom as Walt movie because they already have extras.
The only thing you might appear in will be a Blue Ray extra feature.

Yes, seeing
Tom Hanks!
as Walt Disney!!
in Disneyland!!!
this coming week!
would be for me even cooler than seeing the Space Shuttle fly (well, piggybacking) over Disneyland.

And, yes, having 30,000 people turn out to catch a glimpse of Hanks/Walt would be great publicity for this movie.

Please, just
don't
call attention to
America's favorite actor
Tom Hanks!
as Walt Disney!!
in Disneyland! ! !

This coming week.
(See ya there!)

jcruise86
11-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Thanks for posting that, Jcruise86!
And by the way, your sense-of-humor and
willingness to occasionally criticize decisions by
Disney leaders add a delightful freshness to Mouseplanet!

Now about the filming of Tom as Walt movie,
it has been posted elsewhere that no one will be able to even glimpse Tom Hanks
in Disneyland when they are filming this exciting movie in Disneyland this week.
I just don't want anyone to show up to see the return Walt Disney in Disneyland and be disappointed.

Just Believe
11-05-2012, 12:45 PM
I'm going to the park Wednesday and ill bring any word if there's any specific locations of where they filmed :)

CADisneyFam
11-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Is the filming over now?

jcruise86
11-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Is the filming over now?
In Disneyland, yes. There are interesting photos of Hanks as Walt, folks in 1964 clothes, and retro Mickey all in Disneyland.
Just Google around.

Rapunzelthorn
11-11-2012, 04:27 PM
Fantasyland was closed down until 4:30 in the afternoon on Tuesday the 6th. I believe that parts of Main Street were closed as well. We tried to escape the inconvenience and hullaballo :eyeroll: by hiding out in California Adventure for the morning and afternoon, but there were also closures over there. We were greeted with a sign that said RSR wouldn't open until 12 o'clock, every ride in the park (California Adventure) was closed save three or four for the first hour and half after park opening. On Wednesday the 7th, I believe that only the carousel was closed at Disneyland in the morning. I don't know how long that lasted or if there were any other closures on Wednesday (we were on our way home by then).

When you do not have an annual pass and you live six hours away, cannot get any other days off, have been planning your vacation for months, and are spending several thousand dollars, having them announce a week before your trip that they are going to be filming and closing down parts of the park while you are visiting, isn't a welcome announcement. We still had a wonderful time, but I didn't feel at all enthusiastic about the filming. We do not have the options of just coming back another day when there are not closures. I'm really not liking Tom Hanks at the moment!:rolleyes: And yet, out of curiousity, I'm sure that I will see the film!

danyoung
11-11-2012, 07:48 PM
This is really something that's happened throughout the history of the park. And it used to be you got NO warning of an area being closed - you just read about it on the ticket booths the day of your visit. It's unfortunate that this happened during your trip, but it's not something unique to this one instance.

Rapunzelthorn
11-11-2012, 08:45 PM
This is really something that's happened throughout the history of the park. And it used to be you got NO warning of an area being closed - you just read about it on the ticket booths the day of your visit. It's unfortunate that this happened during your trip, but it's not something unique to this one instance.

Yeah, I understand, but I'm still mad at Tom Hanks! :p I feel like Adam Sandler in Happy Gilmore. "I hate that Bob Barker (insert Tom Hanks)!":mad: :p

At least I get to go once a year and have been going all my life. There are people that travel from much farther away and visit less often, it would have been much more of an inconvenience and a loss for them. We did get to go one day earlier (Monday) and rode everything in Fantasyland because we knew it would be shut down on Tuesday. Okay, I will stop griping, but its going to be a long time before I will be able to forgive Tom Hanks. :)

tinker3
11-14-2012, 09:32 AM
We were at Disneyland on Wed. the 7th. and thankfully didn't notice much. We were told that radiator racers was closed till noon on Thursday because of the rain.