PDA

View Full Version : snow castle in october....

olegc
10-23-2012, 09:13 AM
I'm torn. I love Christmas at Disneyland - but we have not even hit Halloween and the snow is on the castle. I can understand the lights being installed elsewhere - and I guess they have to put the snow on before the ice crystal lights on the castle, but it just doesn't feel right. I mean - Halloween Screams fireworks with snow covered Holiday Castle? (no, don't get me started with Haunted Mansion Holiday - that's different).

Thoughts?

Shortpix77
10-23-2012, 09:15 AM
I'm with you; I think that's weird. I'm going to the party tonight, and I'm not sure how I feel about Halloween Screams + snow... it's a bit off. Did they do the snow on the castle this early last year?? I don't remember it appearing until after Halloween stuff had ended.

olegc
10-23-2012, 09:28 AM
Did they do the snow on the castle this early last year?? I don't remember it appearing until after Halloween stuff had ended.

I thought last year it was 11/1 before they did the snow. This year, as last, they official start the Holidays on a Monday in mid November (this year the 12th).

cstephens
10-23-2012, 09:34 AM
I think I remember the Christmas stuff going up early enough that you had Halloween and Christmas colliding not just at the Haunted Mansion, but also on Main Street - as I seem to recall posting a picture of that, as did many other people.

OK, found it - in the October 31 DLR update from last year, you can see what I mean. (http://www.mouseplanet.com/9783/Disneyland_Resort_Update)

It may be that because of how long it takes to get everything up, they need that kind of lead time. I do remember years ago being at Disneyland on Halloween night, and the Christmas tree was already up.

olegc
10-23-2012, 09:37 AM
so I guess I did not remember correctly. for me, though, its still bad show. I know it takes them a long time to do lights, and they snow has to go on before icicles, but still....

One thing they do need to do? trim and/or replace the larger mature trees in the hub. it's getting really tough to see all elements of a show.

Drince88
10-23-2012, 09:45 AM
I guess I don't see snow as being incompatible with Halloween. I don't think we ever had snow in the Willamette Valley in Oregon growing up, but I'm sure they've often had it in places cooler.

It's not like snow is a natural thing in Anaheim even at Christmas.

candles71
10-23-2012, 09:53 AM
Depending on the year, the ski resorts up this way open in time for Halloween. In fact, there is enough up there from this storm, as long as it stays cold enough I would bet they will open by next week.

olegc
10-23-2012, 10:13 AM
yeah, I know. Heard/seen it before. In other parts of the country yes they may have snow during Halloween. However, to me, the Castle with snow on it is not supposed to be depicting a real place or time period in the US - it's an idea and a fantasy of what Christmas and the Holidays are at Disneyland. The blending thing just doesn't work for me.

MadasaHatter
10-23-2012, 10:41 AM
Well, I'm from the midwest (Main St. Is Missourri right???) and many times it snowed on Hallowe'en.....just sayin'....

KCKID2NV
10-23-2012, 10:55 AM
OLEGC, I am with you!!!!! The same with department stores. They have all their Christmas stuff out. My rule in my family is no Christmas till after Thanksgiving! For Disneyland it should be after Halloween

Malcon10t
10-23-2012, 12:41 PM
We didn't go last year, but in 2010, there was snow on the castle during Halloween.

3Princesses1Prince
10-23-2012, 05:16 PM
2009 it was up by Haloween too.

olegc
10-23-2012, 05:17 PM
ok - so basically I lost 3 years of halloweens somewhere. I still don't think it fits..

jcruise86
10-26-2012, 05:45 AM
Anaheim's castle is covered in snow and it's late October.

While I don't want to sound like Scrooge ("Every idiot who goes about with 'Merry Christmas' on his lips, should be boiled with his own pudding, and buried with a stake of holly through his heart.") I do think that the ones ultimately responsible for topping Sleeping Beauty's castle with Christmas snow in October ought to be punished. Maybe make them watch Dean Martin's Christmas Special at Sea World three times. It just seems wrong and unsettling.

3Princesses1Prince
10-26-2012, 06:14 AM
Welcome to the party. ;)

Sosai X
10-26-2012, 07:01 PM
I got three inches of snow at my house last night, so it's not too early at all!

jananafish
10-26-2012, 09:47 PM
It only looks a little bit silly when it is 88 degrees outside and we're supposed to believe there's snow! I thought about it today when we were walking through the castle haha ;)

cstephens
10-26-2012, 10:46 PM
It only looks a little bit silly when it is 88 degrees outside and we're supposed to believe there's snow! I thought about it today when we were walking through the castle haha ;)

Yeah, but even when it's 55 degrees out, I'm still not going to believe that would generate snow on the castle. :)

Werner
10-29-2012, 01:41 PM
Back in the 80s, I remember that in early November, the Park was still in its "natural" state. I liked that. Christmas festivities shouldn't begin until after Thanksgiving.

jananafish
10-29-2012, 06:46 PM
Yeah, but even when it's 55 degrees out, I'm still not going to believe that would generate snow on the castle. :)

Hahah true!!

jcruise86
11-09-2012, 09:58 AM
Isn't Universal starting Grinchmas on Dec. 1?

Christmas before Thanksgiving is obnoxious
and makes the holiday season feel tedious & even more commercial,
and less special & classy to me.

It's like getting a hut fudge sundae for breakfast and knowing that you're getting the same treat for lunch and dinner. Yuck.

Or as Shakespeare put it, "If all the year were playing holidays, to sport would be a tedious as to work."

Werner
11-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Isn't Universal starting Grinchmas on Dec. 1?

Christmas before Thanksgiving is obnoxious
and makes the holiday season feel tedious & even more commercial,
and less special & classy to me.

It's like getting a hut fudge sundae for breakfast and knowing that you're getting the same treat for lunch and dinner. Yuck.

Or as Shakespeare put it, "If all the year were playing holidays, to sport would be a tedious as to work."

Excellent post! Your hot fudge sundae analogy, as well as Shakespeare's quote, are profound. I couldn't agree more.