PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Rookie Needs Tips & Secrets Please

Anthony
08-05-2003, 08:01 AM
Hello Everyone!

What a great site this is, I am learning so much! Thank you everyone. I have read quite a bit here, and I am trying very hard not to duplicate prior questions, sorry if I do.

I am taking my GF on a trip to DL in mid-October at we are going to stay at GCH. We are going to stay from Wed night - Sunday afternoon. Here are my questions:

-I have read that several rides will not be in operation. Should this faze me, or will I not be missing much?

-It seems like the park closes much earlier during the Fall, is that a negative consideration, or will four days be enough time to see everything anyway?

-Is it worth the cost of the GCH to stay there? I have only heard great things about it, but I am unsure. Has anyone stayed there and used the Concierge level services? I like the idea of staying in the park, and having a great room to stay in. I also read that you can ask about upgrading to a suite? Is there a cheaper way to get the rooms other then the DL site?

-In addition to the park rides, etc. what shows or special things do you recommend that we attend? I am not familiar with the various shows being offered.

-What are some good tips that would be helpful to know for a first time visitor? Any 'must-see' things? I heard the 'Walk with Walt' tour is really cool.

Thanks so much for your time and information, I really appreciate it!!!

kijay
08-05-2003, 08:17 AM
Forget the closed rides. Focus on the positives. You will hear a lot of negative, but don't buy into it. Its your trip remember, have fun with it.
My list of can't miss rides
1. Pirates
2. Splash Mountain
3. Indy
4. ok, all of them, I'm a junkie
For a ride that you and your gf will enjoy, you got to do Small world (just hope its not down). Can't say anything about the Californian, never stayed, but by all accounts it is a first rate place to stay with wonderful service. If you have the dough to blow, by all means go for it. If you want cheaper rates, try Mousesavers.com, they always have ways to save money. But if you can spring for the Californian, then what are you worried about? LOL. As for shows, Fantasmic if its open (which it probably won't, but one can dream can't they?). The Electrical parade is always a winner. If you have four days, you have plenty of time. Don't get in a rush and remember to investigate all the little things in D-Land. It's truly all the small touches that make this the truly magical place that it is. Just remember to have fun, and take it easy. Hope you have a great time.

lisap
08-05-2003, 08:29 AM
The Grand Ca. is a wonderful hotel--take time to enjoy the ambiance--sit by the fire, have a drink, eat at Storytellers or spring for Napa Rose.

Despite the closures, October is a nice time to visit the park, and four days should be plenty. Do things around DTD and at the hotel after the park closes.

Soarin' over CA. is one of my very favorite attractions (at DCA). Also check out the animation building over there. A Bug's Land is for little kids but the themeing there is incredible--worth a walk through even without children.

Hope you have a great time--I'm sure you will. :)

Anthony
08-05-2003, 09:00 AM
Thank you both for the great information, I agree, I think it is important to focus on the positive, and I cannot wait to go!

I thought of something else. I have been reading about annual passes, and how they sometimes provide discounts for hotels, or other perks. Do you guys think that is a good option to get? I think that when I spoke to a DL vacation rep they said that I could not upgrade what I am paying for, to a annual pass. If correct, that seems weird to me. The trip is pretty pricey, so it would make sense that I could just upgrade to the annual pass for a reduced fee. Is there a better way of doing this? Maybe I should buy the pass first, then get the rest? One last ?. My little sister lives in Venice and I think it would be great to have her come down and spend the day with us. Do you think I can arrange a ticket for her for a day? Also, with the concierge service, I see that you can get reserved seating at one or more shows. I wonder if I should save that option, and maybe I could have that extended to her ticket. Any thoughts? (P.S. Even though I don't mind splurging, I am a social worker, so I am trying to make this a spectacular time for my great GF and make my $$ go as far as possible)

Bill Catherall
08-05-2003, 09:30 AM
Annual passes will give you discounts on dining and merchandise as well as the Disney property hotels. However, the hotel discounts are only for certain rooms and is subject to availability. You may not get the room you want at a discount, or there may not be discounted rooms available during your stay.

Have you ever been to any other Disney park before, like Walt Disney World, etc? If not, be sure to take your time through the park. The atmosphere is what truly makes it unique from any other amusement park in the world. If you are rushing through trying to get as many wild rides in as possible then you'll miss it all. Spend some time in the shops in New Orleans Square and exploring all the corridors and hidden court yards.

If you get in to the parks early, like right at opening, you'll have plenty of time in your 4 days to see everything while taking your time doing it.

mrfantasmic
08-05-2003, 09:51 AM
If you're really a rookie, you should plan a two day trip to Disneyland. It is nearly impossible (unless you've had practice) to get on all the rides, shows, and shops in one day. Two spreads the fun out and makes the whole thing less stressful!

Tigertail777
08-05-2003, 10:30 AM
I f you can, ride Indy more than once, its slightly different up to something like 15-20 times in a row ( it has a computer that slightly changes things on the ride).
Eat Lunch (or dinner if you can afford it, but lunch has more selection) at the Blue Bayou, great atmosphere, good food. You can do reservations up to I beleive 7 days in advance by phone. Ask to sit by the water, even if you have to wait a little longer its worth it.
If you like pineapple at all, get a Dole whip over by the tiki room.. great yummy stuff. While you are at it, see the original audio animatronic attratction: the tiki room.. the one that started it all and still charming after 40 years.
If you have heart conditions, or athsma or anything like that, be aware that they have reversed the flow of the tarzan treehouse (former swiss family robinson treehouse in adventureland) if you really want to climb it, make sure you do it when few people are behind you cause the new way this thing is done will really wind you and get yer heart beating. I say all of this because there are no warning signs, and when we went, I had a major athsma attack, and my mom had heart palpitations.
Make sure you bring at least one water bottle with you... conveniant if on a lanyard. And plenty of sunscreen.
Be aware the front of Adentureland is the most likely place to get yer shins ran over by a doublewide stroller, and then get cursed at by the parent that ran you down.:D (Adventureland is probably the most crowded land in the park, especially the entrance... and yes I did have the above scenario happen to me).
If you are into pins, the pin store is on the opposite side of the main st. emporium... a small little shop. And the main st. emporium tens to have more selection than the world of DIsney store. Also be aware that the newstand at the front of the park has some things that are nearly impossible to find elsewhere (those big wall souvineer park maps for instance).
If you are into scrapbooking, ask to keep yer expired fastpass. some CM's will let you and they are great for scrapbooks.
Make sure you ride the DL only rides: Alice in wonderland, Mr. Toad, Matterhorn, Indy, (and sort of DL only since Disneyland paris has one) storybookland canal (and I think roger rabbit ride in toontown).
If its running, ride either Mark Twain, or the columbia both great original DL experiences.
Make sure you ride Pirates since it has much more to it and is far superior to the wdw version. Also ride Haunted Mansion as it has some things the wdw doesnt, and a better stretching room.
Make sure you takesome time to look at some of the little charming nooks and crannies in the park: the snow white grotto, the duck area by the hungery bear restaurant, the sleeping beauty statue over behind the castle, etc.
There are a hundred other things I can think of, but this should get you started in hte right direction.:D

mrfantasmic
08-05-2003, 10:50 AM
Well... that was an awesome post!
Thanks, even a veteran can profit from that!

Anthony
08-05-2003, 02:06 PM
Thanks to everyone who contributed their expertise! I really appreciate you taking the time to teach me the ins and outs of this great place. I cannot wait to step foot onto DL, it sounds amazing. I am working as much voluntary overtime shifts as possible now to save a bunch of money for the park, and souvenirs, etc. By any chance, do you guys know at what point is it worth it to purchase an annual pass? I live in Phoenix, and I would like to get to the park three or four times a year. I was curious if the discount on goods and services was worth the purchase, and/or at what point do you have your money's worth?

Again, thanks for all the info, I will take each tip and use it. With any luck, my GF will think I am a world traveler by knowing all the stuff you guys are teaching me!

MammaSilva
08-05-2003, 02:47 PM
There have been several discussions on the AP issue, bottom line is.. thinking in terms of the 'cheapest' park hoppers right now ... the 5 for 3 one at 120 bucks.. if you 'know" you're going to make at least 2 trips in a year, it's a money saver to buy a pass.. which pass .. depends on how much freedom you want and how important the discounts are to you personally. I live about 400 miles away and make the trip 2/3 times a year.. this year it'll be 4x before my pass expires.. so it's a huge savings.. not to mention the whole 'mental' side of it ... oh I've already paid to go, why waste it...

leota's necklace
08-05-2003, 03:32 PM
I live in Tucson and have a Premium Pass. It's saved me a ton of cash...though I'm sure Disney knows that I am encouraged to spend more because of my discounts. I've vistied the parks four times since I bought it, each one a multi-day trip, and between the savings on entrance fees and food discounts and merch discounts and hotel discounts, it's paid for itself. It really paid for itself on my first trip back. I used the value of my multi-day Park Hopper to upgrade.

Plus it was AWFULLY nice to be able to take a last-minute "emergency" trip to DL and not have to worry about buying passports.

Do I go more often because of it? Possibly, though I did go this often last year, without the PAP. The merchandise I would have bought anyway, without the discount. I did spluge on a trip to Napa Rose with my husband and that was made even more worthwhile by my discount...but I didn't know I could get it until the end of our meal.

Plus free parking, don't forget that :) I'm a believer. The ability to park-hop for as many or as few days as you care to, plus the discounts, make it worthwhile for me.

CarlieB
08-05-2003, 03:38 PM
4 days is heaps of time to really relax & enjoy the Parks. Since we travel so far to get to DL, I always try and make sure we have 3 to 4 days to enjoy there:)

I second what other people have said about exploring some of the places that are off the beaten path a bit - DL is full of charming little areas that are really fun to hang out in, especially in areas like New Orleans Square.

Take time to browse through the stores - the Main Street ones in particular are really nicely themed.

In DCA, I really like riding Soarin' & GRR - both are great rides, imho:) If you like rollercoasters, check out Screamin' (I'm jsut a bystander for that one - I'm far to chicken to ride it!)

Take some time to wander round DTD and check out the shops and restaurants - if there's anything good showing, they have a movie theatre too.

I'm envious of your stay at the GCH - I'd love to stay there some day. From what I've heard it's very attractive, with some good restaurants - enjoy!:)

Bill Catherall
08-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Well, I have some questions for you Anthony. :)

1. Are you buying a vacation package through an agent? If so, have you tried pricing everything separate to see if you can do better yourself?

2. Are you willing to stay in a cheaper hotel so you can save your money or splurge on other luxuries?

The thing is, as much as I like the GCH (in fact I'd say it's one of my favorite hotels even though I've never seen the rooms), it's really overpriced, in my opinion of course. Sure I'd probably like to stay there someday, but it's really the lobby that I like the most and I can see that for free. I've heard the the rooms aren't all that impressive considering the price you pay for them. Personally, I'd rather spend a lot less at a hotel across the street and use the money saved for a massage at the GCH and nice meals in the restaurants in the parks or Downtown Disney.

miss bianca
08-05-2003, 05:37 PM
I am a firm believer in buying the AP for if nothing else the DL hotel discounts. AP rates for August @ the Grand are currently:
GCH
(Fri/Sat) $199 per night
(Sun-Thurs) $159

Have you figured out how much you are paying for the Grand?

Remember only 1 person in your party has to have the AP for the discounts (hotel and 10-15% off at various restaurants around the resort). Also anyone can buy the Southern CA pass @ $105.00.
Only blackout dates for October are on Saturdays, so keep in mind you will have to pay $25.00 for a blackout day pass for Sat. But the cheapest normal ticket out there right now is the 5 for 3 one at $120. So is it worth the extra $10.00 for the discounts?

Another thing I like about booking just your hotel instead of a package is that you can cancel/modify without any penalty up to 72 hrs before check in. Also you don't have to put a deposit down.
You do have to call directly to book a room with the AP discount. The # is (714) 956-6425 to reach the Disneyland Resort Reservations line. Ask for rate plan APD - if is not available for your dates - KEEP CHECKING BACK! I cannot stress that enough. It seems like they release new dates and additional rooms every week. For a mid October trip I would think the rates would be released mid September. Also I wouldn't worry about not being able to get the AP rate...mid October is not a high season and you should have no problem (heck I got the AP rate in JULY on a WEEKEND for the DLH).

About upgrading, I have never heard of anyone upgrading to a Suite....just a better view. Most GCH AP rates are Downtown Disney View. Since you are checking in midweek you could ask if you could be upgraded to a Themepark View room. Also I like to mention this to the reservationist while booking my room. I have lucked out a few times and been upgraded. :) Make sure you tell him/her it’s a special trip for your Girlfriend.

Darkbeer
08-05-2003, 11:59 PM
OK, I haven't done on of these in awhile, so I guess I am due... first off, to Anthony, I am going into detail, because this will be written for folks other than you, but will address your questions, if not, feel free to ask follow up questions....

Let's start with the beginning, I need to book air/hotel, etc....

You have two many choices, a package, or a la carte...

If you are serious, and want to get a good deal, you need to look into both... and you might end up with half and half...

Packages, where to go....

The Walt Disney Travel Company works with most travel agents, and is the source of most DLR packages, even if you buy them thru a travel agent, or internet site. AAA also offers packages, but they are really the Walt Disney Travel packages, rebranded with the AAA name. Since AAA is so big, you can find some special deals you can't get elsewhere.

My first choice would be AAA, otherwise the Walt Disney Travel Company directly, since you will only be getting price quotes.

Now, in most cases, the air is separate (Exception, Airlines offering Kids fly free deals), so Fly or Drive, take care of it yourself, do some web airfare shopping, and find a good deal, and usually you want to know the airline package first, since that part has the biggest price shift depending on the tickets available.

Also, rental car deals are usually better in a web search, instead of part of a package.

So what is left, Hotel and admission to the park.... And you can go the package route (AAA or Walt Disney Travel) or go separately, and still get the Passport Plus (more on that later).

So, what are the current prices in the area, the best source of this is a great free search engine....

www.travelaxe.net

Now, taking Anthony's dates of Mid October (Wed Oct. 15th thru Sun Oct. 19th) and did a search for the Anaheim area, let's look at a few of the prices...

Cheapest, Super 8 (415 w Katella), $39 a night, plus $24 in taxes, total of $180

One of my favorites, the Howard Johnsons on Harbor is $69 a night, plus $42 in taxes, total of $318 - If you decide to stay here, please PM me, I will give you a e-mail address so you can get some special attention, or you can just wait until HoJoAnaheim posts (whom I will refer you to anyway)

Another favorite is the Candy Cane Inn, $82 a night, plus $49 in taxes, $377 total

The three Disney hotels...

PPH, $190/$140, $139 taxes, $799 total

DLH, $194, $101 taxes, $877 total

GCH, $236, $120 taxes, $1,064 total

So, the price range is vast, and of course, Travelaxe is excellent in searching multiple sites and finding the best price, but you can find better deals... but you have a "base", and knowledge of the current market, based on your dates.

Now, what do the packages offer in comparison??? (Don't forget, AAA/Walt Disney Travel do offer Good Neighbor Hotels that include many of the hotels listed on Travelaxe)

Also, you need to know that you can get the "admission" portion of the package a la carte from AAA/Walt Disney Travel... it is called Passport Plus, and here is one of the best sites into saving money on packages and ala carte regarding Disney.. MouseSavers.com...

http://www.mousesavers.com/dltickets.html#passportplus

The 2003 Passport Plus pass is an enhanced Park Hopper pass with extra features you'd normally get with a package -- but you don't have to buy a hotel room to get the Passport Plus pass! The pass includes the following special features:

2 extra days FREE added to your Park Hopper
collect FASTPASS tickets for multiple attractions at one time
FREE ESPN Zone Arena Game Card ($10 value)
Breakfast in the Park (one per person, at Club Buzz or Pacific Wharf, $8.75 value)

Prices for Passport Plus passes are only a few dollars more than the regular Park Hopper passes:

"3-Day" Passport Plus pass (actually valid for 5 days) $122.75 adults/juniors (10 and up), $99.75 children (3-9)
"4-Day" Passport Plus pass (actually valid for 6 days) $151.75 adults/juniors (10 and up), $122.75 children (3-9)
"5-Day" Passport Plus pass (actually valid for 7 days) $176.75 adults/juniors (10 and up), $142.75 children (3-9)
"6-Day" Passport Plus pass (actually valid for 8 days) $198.75 adults/juniors (10 and up), $159.75 children (3-9)

No additional discounts (such as Disney Club) apply to the Passport Plus passes. There is a mailing/handling fee of $13 per order and you need to order at least two weeks before departure. (Brochures state 5 days in advance, but experience shows this is not sufficient time.) They will be mailed out 21 days ahead of time, not earlier.

Now, I know that Anthony wants to get an AP, but that should wait, we will get you one before this post is over...

What I would do, I would stay at the Howard Johnson's, contact the hotel, and explain this will be a special trip for you and your girlfriend, and they will hook you up... and you will save $750, which you can use for a special dinner at Napa Rose at GCH (Expensive), or other stuff.... and get the Passport Plus package...

OK, you now have bought your package, or booked a la carte, so what is next.... well, of course going to the park!

To make sure I don't go to long, part 2 coming up....

Darkbeer
08-06-2003, 12:36 AM
Now, first off, a big time saver during your visit, and that is using the FastPass system to your best advantage... you more than likely have a PassportPlus, either by getting a package thru AAA/Walt Disney Travel, or the Passport Plus stand-alone...

The Joy of FastPass (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14736&highlight=Unlimited+FastPass)

And make sure and read the entire thread, there is an update letting you know that the Haunted Mansion is now a Stand Alone machine. But also more than likely will become Networked in October with Haunted Mansion Holiday.

As for closed attractions, of course Space Mountain will be closed, it's a small world, well, for most folks, no big deal...As for Splash Mountain, it is a shame, as it is one of the better attractions, but there is plenty of other things to see and do....

Four days is plenty, I would spend more time on attractions during the week, and then do more of the relax/browse on the weekend, when it will be more crowded.

Shows... well either Fantasmic! or Believe will be offered on Friday and Saturday night at Disneyland, don't miss which ever one is offered. The Electrical Parade at DCA on Friday/Saturday is another classic (do one night at DL, and the other at DCA (my suggestion, Friday at DL, Saturday at DCA).

Many folks like Aladdin at DCA, so that would be the other show I would recommend. Who Wants to be a Millionaire-Play It! is fun, if you like game shows, also at DCA.

Make sure and spend some time at Downtown Disney, check and see who is playing at the House of Blues, it might be someone you and your girlfriend might like (another reason to save on the hotel room, you can buy tickets). Also, the Gospel Brunch Sundays at 10 AM are very good.

Another nice treat, on Saturday, in the afternoon (after 2:30 PM), stop by the Cove Bar at DCA (next to Ariel's Grotto), sit down, have an adult beverage and just enjoy each others company.

OK, I promised to address Annual Passes, let's presume you got the 5 day Passport Plus (either as part of a package, or a stand alone purchase), that has a value of $122.75, keep that in mind, but let's look at Annual Passes in general...

Which AP should I buy? (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13708&highlight=Annual+Pass)

OK, so you want AP's, first off, do NOT upgrade until the last day, since you will lose your special "Enhanced FastPass" function!

Now, if you are a big shopper, just window shop until the last day...

On the last day, you have 2 basic options, either the Deluxe or Premium AP. (You cannot UPgrade to a SoCal AP, since the ParkHopper is worth more than $105).

Which one(s) do you want? Well, depends if how often you plan to come back, and how you will arrive.

You might decide to get one Premium, to allow for the free parking, and the 10% merchandise discount (and a larger choice of food discounts), and one Deluxe (since you don't plan to attend on those few blackout dates).

If you don't need the Parking pass, you might go with 2 Deluxes, and when you plan your return trip, and find out you will be attending on 3 or more blackout days, you can always upgrade when you return.

Now, how does this work, simple, you take your Passport value (in this example - $122.75), and apply it as a credit towards the AP, so a Deluxe would cost an additional $42.25 when you upgrade, a Premium would be $102.25. This way you get the Enhanced FastPass, plus the breakfast voucher and ESPN Zone card for no additional cost, and still have an AP for the upcoming 365 days....

Not bad, eh?

Well, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask... and make sure and have a great trip!

sancho
08-06-2003, 01:12 AM
Tip: Eat at the Blue Bayou

Secret: I wet the bed until I was 15

cryan71
08-06-2003, 08:35 AM
Take the short walk to Mimi's on Harbor to have a decent meal at a good price.

Those buttons on the back of Fast Pass machines sometimes do something. Press them and you might get a surprise.

You can use expired fastpasses anytime you want during the same day visit.

Save money: buy water, snacks and stuff outside the park and rent a locker to put them in.

The outdoor fireplace at the Grand Californian Hotel is a great place to sit and drink and talk.

If you have a small group that doesn't really care about sititng together, use the single rider lines at Indy and Splash.

When on splash mountain, do a funny pose for the picture at the top of the big drop. Ideas include: pretending like you are reading your Disneyland guide; having each person from front to back gradually raise their hands and the back person has their hands fully raised, everyone in the log look left...

Some of the atmosphere entertainment is great like the DCA All American College Band and unfortunately its not on the schedule that they give you at the entrance. You can go to about any employee and ask them for the times of specific atmosphere acts. They have a daily castmember guide that will tell them every time a show or atmosphere act is supposed to perform.

--------------------------------------

There are plenty of Marines in the park now that Disneyland is letting them in for free. Here's an idea, buy a Marine lunch as a thank you for all the hard work they do.

Bill Catherall
08-06-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by cryan71
Those buttons on the back of Fast Pass machines sometimes do something. Press them and you might get a surprise. A surprise indeed. You'll get kicked out of the park.

miss bianca
08-06-2003, 08:55 AM
oh no, not this topic again....come on folks no derailing ;)

Matterhorn Fan
08-06-2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Tigertail777
If you are into pins, the pin store is on the opposite side of the main st. emporium... a small little shop.Showcase isn't the main pin store anymore. (In fact, I don't think they even have pins anymore.) The Premiere shop in Tomorrowland is now the main pin place.

Unless they've moved it back. I haven't been since January.

Space Cookie
08-06-2003, 09:56 AM
Wow! 4 days.. you have plenty of time! When it comes to food, try to eat at the Blue Bayou once. A Monte Cristo is a must. Then go next door for a mint Julip. Redd Rocket's is also a great choice for pasta, pizza and salads. Read up on how to use the fast-pass system. This can save you time, but in the fall the lines are not that long. The tiki room is one of our favorites, a must see. Sorry that Space will be down, but it gives you a reason to go back for the 50th birthday celebration in 2005. As a tip, ask for the thrid row on Indy. We feel that the ride is more fun sitting in the back. Take a few moments to just sit back and soak up the atmosphere (the sights, smells, sounds). And lastly, take a ride on the train; the entire loop. Walt would insist.

Have a great time!!!!!:)

millionairegirl
08-06-2003, 10:17 AM
Even if you don't end up staying at GCH, have a meal at White Roaring Snacks. Clean, great prices, great service, great food, just great!

Ice water at the counter service restaurants is free! Also if they offer combo meals you can get the sandwhich 'a la carte', and save a couple bucks for the fries you didn't want anyway. At the buffeterias portions are very large, so you can share adult meals. I don't believe in eating off resort (i.e. McDonalds or Mimi's, so these are my cost saving tips!)

October is a wonderful time to visit. My birthday is in October so I make my fiance take me (he doesn't like DL, can you imagine?). The whole park gets into the spirit of the HMH makeover. If you eat at Blue Bayou, get the Pumpkin Creme Boole! Yum!

Ride the monorail just because!

Bill Catherall
08-06-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by millionairegirl
have a meal at White Roaring Snacks I think you mean White Water Snacks. ;)