PDA

View Full Version : Conversations between CMs

letshavefun
10-20-2012, 09:41 AM
On our recent trip (10-12/16)we over heard conversations between CMs that were not appropriate for the park at all. One was at the little coffee stand by Paradise pier bridge between 2 CMs talking about how one girl was cheating on her boyfriend.... I just heard that much as I was walking by. They did not have any costumers but still I could hear them from a distance. Another one was at Splash Moutain were a CM was telling another one how she had been standing there forever. It just did not seem Disney like and was really pretty sad to me.

letshavefun
10-20-2012, 10:08 AM
I apologize it was not Splash Mountain it was Grizzly River run.

cstephens
10-20-2012, 11:11 AM
It just did not seem Disney like and was really pretty sad to me.

I don't think the second comment was inappropriate, but the first one definitely was. Next time, you might want to say something. I've done that before, where I've just stopped and said quietly to them "that's not really an appropriate thing to be discussing on stage/within hearing distance of guests". They might not be happy about it, but it might remind them. No need to draw too much attention to it, just a quiet reminder.

AnotherJenny
10-20-2012, 02:12 PM
On the One More Disney Day, a CM at the Main St train station was standing around with another CM and several people in regular clothes who were also apparently CMs off the clock talking about how much she hates guests. She was just carrying on with all kinds of voices and gestures while mocking things guests have allegedly said. This carried on for about 20 minutes. I know because we were told that we had to stand outside the station for about 10 minutes before the line would be reopened, and while these 2 CMs were standing around chatting a bunch of people cut in front of the line they made and some even forced their way into the station. I did take her name and considered going to City Hall, but there was just so much bad behavior that night it wasn't worth it. Although I did think that some of the other off-duty CMs should have said, "Hey, we're surrounded by guests, maybe we shouldn't be having this conversation and let our friends get back to work..." And then of course after we had waited about 35 minutes for the train she let her friends load through the exit and cut right in front of the line of people who stood politely in line while she made fun us. The most disappointing part is that the CMs that work on the train are usually so awesome and except for that one time have always been the nicest I've interacted with.

letshavefun
10-20-2012, 03:30 PM
The I've been standing here forever is not so bad but she said it in a complaining tone, it just surprised me. I know their human and probably get annoyed throughout the day but I am use to hearing them complain in public about their jobs.

candles71
10-20-2012, 08:21 PM
I am with C, if they are onstage, I would have gone with the quiet reminder.
We did have one time we were sitting at the ROA waiting for Fantasmic, where we spent a good while hearing all about the life of a Cast Member who was with friends and off duty. He made a big deal about knowing this CM and that one as they went by. He got pretty close to the line of decent conversation with children around. I would have discounted him as a braggart but I recognized him from the parade cast.

danyoung
10-24-2012, 04:07 PM
I work in a corporate hotel, and am surrounded by clients/guests all day long. While I think many of them are complete idiots, it would be wildly inappropriate for me to say this within earshot of the guest. Sounds like Disney needs to up their training a bit, and teach these young pups how to properly behave while on stage!

MadasaHatter
10-25-2012, 09:51 AM
Unfortunately I think it is a sign of the times. THe reality show world we live in makes people think that it is ok to tell EVERYTHING about ourselves and others. THere are LOTS of things I don't tell people (including certain friends.) I would be mortified to have most of the conversations I hear in public. Cstephens said the right thing. Very cool as a cucumber indeed!

TTFN92
10-25-2012, 12:52 PM
Unfortunately I think it is a sign of the times. THe reality show world we live in makes people think that it is ok to tell EVERYTHING about ourselves and others. THere are LOTS of things I don't tell people (including certain friends.) I would be mortified to have most of the conversations I hear in public. Cstephens said the right thing. Very cool as a cucumber indeed!
Agree. It's really sad that people now days don't seem to have the trigger built in that tells them something is inappropriate. If you don't like guests maybe you have the wrong job.

ScottC4746
11-12-2012, 11:58 AM
On our recent trip (10-12/16)we over heard conversations between CMs that were not appropriate for the park at all. One was at the little coffee stand by Paradise pier bridge between 2 CMs talking about how one girl was cheating on her boyfriend.... I just heard that much as I was walking by. They did not have any costumers but still I could hear them from a distance. Another one was at Splash Moutain were a CM was telling another one how she had been standing there forever. It just did not seem Disney like and was really pretty sad to me.

That almost always seems to appear on a routine basis when I go. Usually conversations about "mundane" things, that is things outside the realm such as movies, traffic, etc. Sometimes I even here them complaining about working conditions and union issues since a majority of the park is in a union.
Years ago in my youth I worked at Six Flags Astroworld and I made sure my conversations fit with the theme of the area I was working in. We had a Main Street USA type area and I made sure my conversations did not talk about anything post 1910's while on stage, when I worked in Nottingham Village I made sure they remained as close to 1500's as possible. Even in Western Junction they stuck with 1800's era. I wasn't the most popular co-worker because people wanted to gab about last nights date, but I felt it wasn't appropriate in the environment we were in.