PDA

View Full Version : CalOSHA closing all the mountains

Bytebear
10-19-2012, 08:56 AM
So, my family went to Disneyland today (I am stuck at work). We have some cousins from Minnesota and it's turning out to be a disaster. First, they got there before 8 with a plan to get into DCA and get FPs for Radiator Racers. Well, the ticket booths only had two windows open, so they ended up waiting for an hour to buy tickets (yes, I know, our fault for not buying online). Anyway, they get in the FP line at 8:30, which is ridiculously long, and the CM says they will probably run out, and it doesn't really matter if they don't because who wants a FP for 11:00 PM anyway? The kids will be out by then.

Well, so they move to Disneyland, and it turns out that CalOSHA is at the parks today. Apparently Disneyland is late on their inspections, and as of now, the word on the street is that Space Mountain the Matternhorn are closed and will remain closed for the day. And Big Thunder Mountain is being inspected next. Do not go to Disneyland today if you expect to get on any of those rides. With all the standard closures, half the park is closed.

Mermaid
10-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Wow! For the party tonight too? I will let my sister know...

Drince88
10-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Any updates?

currence
10-19-2012, 12:17 PM
So, my family went to Disneyland today (I am stuck at work). We have some cousins from Minnesota and it's turning out to be a disaster. First, they got there before 8 with a plan to get into DCA and get FPs for Radiator Racers. Well, the ticket booths only had two windows open, so they ended up waiting for an hour to buy tickets (yes, I know, our fault for not buying online). Anyway, they get in the FP line at 8:30, which is ridiculously long, and the CM says they will probably run out, and it doesn't really matter if they don't because who wants a FP for 11:00 PM anyway? The kids will be out by then.

Well, so they move to Disneyland, and it turns out that CalOSHA is at the parks today. Apparently Disneyland is late on their inspections, and as of now, the word on the street is that Space Mountain the Matternhorn are closed and will remain closed for the day. And Big Thunder Mountain is being inspected next. Do not go to Disneyland today if you expect to get on any of those rides. With all the standard closures, half the park is closed.

I know it's too late now, and probably not something most people think of, but don't they have the ability to buy tickets from your phone now? It sounds like they may have been able to buy mobile tickets faster than the line was moving. I am surprised that they only had two ticket booths open first thing in the morning! Were they on the Downtown Disney side or the Harbor side?

I'm sorry the trip started off as a bust. I hope it got better.

Bytebear
10-19-2012, 12:49 PM
I know it's too late now, and probably not something most people think of, but don't they have the ability to buy tickets from your phone now? It sounds like they may have been able to buy mobile tickets faster than the line was moving. I am surprised that they only had two ticket booths open first thing in the morning! Were they on the Downtown Disney side or the Harbor side?

I'm sorry the trip started off as a bust. I hope it got better.

Not sure exactly, but we tend to park in the Pumba or Toy Story lot, so probably the Harbor side. I didn't know about the phone thing, but next time, we are definitely printing tickets the night before. The latest update is the kids were still debating the scariness of Haunted Mansion, so I think things are getting better.

Andrew
10-19-2012, 01:07 PM
http://i.imgur.com/x1xd7.jpg

stan4d_steph
10-19-2012, 01:08 PM
Haven't seen any reports of this on twitter, which seems unusual if such a large part of the park is closed.

Malcon10t
10-19-2012, 02:38 PM
I just spoke with a contact of mine at the park, and they stated the above rides are up and running, but that Matterhorn was down for about an hour around noon.

olegc
10-19-2012, 03:20 PM
I just spoke with a contact of mine at the park, and they stated the above rides are up and running, but that Matterhorn was down for about an hour around noon.

that's what I kind of expected. Unless CalOSHA finds problems the mountains should be down temporarily.

and, you would think, they would get this done well before the parties - or someone is going to get fired.

Bytebear
10-19-2012, 03:48 PM
that's what I kind of expected. Unless CalOSHA finds problems the mountains should be down temporarily.

and, you would think, they would get this done well before the parties - or someone is going to get fired.

Just heard that space mountain just reopened. It must have been closed for a while, since they got FPs for it, and then just used them.

Malcon10t
10-19-2012, 05:43 PM
Just heard that space mountain just reopened. It must have been closed for a while, since they got FPs for it, and then just used them.If it is closed, they don't give out FPs. I was told by Disney it has been open at least since 11am, I didn't ask them to go back earlier.

Malcon10t
10-19-2012, 07:22 PM
Here is a picture posted to Instagram this morning at 850am.
http://distilleryimage9.s3.amazonaws.com/c663cc521a0411e2935222000a1cfdeb_7.jpg

MammaSilva
10-19-2012, 11:41 PM
I can say from personal experience Matterhorn was up and running for most of yesterday (Thursday), Space was up everytime we walked by. Tonight all the mountains were up and running. The party was busy but not crazy busy.

fairestoneofall
10-20-2012, 01:48 PM
I rode Space and Thunder yesterday and saw the Matterhorn running several times. I can't say if they ever closed for a short time or not, but I never witnessed any of them closed at all yesterday.