PDA

View Full Version : DLR vs... (plus comment on Cirque)

DSNYDad
08-04-2003, 08:24 PM
It was interesting to see that Disney is thinking of adding a Cirque show to DCA. We just came back from San Diego and did the Sea World, Legoland thing. "If" DCA does Cirque like Sea World does Cirque then I think it will be a great attraction. Let me clarify though, there are three Cirque shows at Sea World, "Mystique de la Mer", "Cirque de la Mer" and the "Mystique Dinner Show". We saw all three but the highlight was definitely the Mystique Dinner Show. The show is in a separate small grassy area that has a special setup of tables and a show stage (four in our party and we had our own table). The dinner show included a buffet dinner (Sea World food is much better than DLR food with the possible exception of Blue Bayou), a singing act and animals are brought out from other shows for guests to see. Then the Cirque show begins which was incredible, we all loved it. Highly recommended, well worth the extra cost.

I doubt that DCA could pull off something like the Mystique Dinner Show though. It would be near impossible to get such a small private venue at DCA. It probably would have to be on a large scale but I can’t imagine it being anywhere that exists now. Sea World has a arena that Mystique de la Mer uses. The worst thing about the summer concerts at DCA was the seating or lack of seating. I gave up trying to see the Beach Boys and barely tolerated the America show. My suggestion would to make a permanent outdoor arena in DCA with seating and adequate shade. There are similar areas in DL correct? Maybe just give up and replace that fictional Limo ride I hear about with an outdoor arena.

Disney could learn a lot from Sea World, the park is much better kept up, the food is better and all of the shows are first rate. Granted I wouldn’t have an AP for Sea World and we did the whole park in one day but we had a great time. The only exception would be the extra charge for the rides which we didn’t do. If we went on both rides it would have cost us an additional thirty-eight bucks!

Now Legoland, ugh. Legoland could learn a lot from Disney. I can’t believe how long it takes to get on a ride. One ride that carries two people has to stop, unload, move forward, then load. It took almost an hour to get on a ride that would take DL 15 minutes to get on. Geez, copy Disneyland you goofballs! The food is absolutely the worst park food I’ve ever had the displeasure to see, let alone eat. Legoland is definitely a one time venture.

One amusing note, if you miss DLR you can go on Sea Worlds version of Star Tours, Wild Artic or Legolands version of the Tea Cups, Bionicle Blaster (at least they copied one thing right).

kijay
08-05-2003, 08:25 AM
Sea World food good????? When we went twice in 2001, it was horrible. We ate in several locations (even the Dine with Shamu), and found it over-priced and under-valued (Not to mention the food was not very good). Maybe somethings changed? The park itself was great, can't knock that. My kids did the dolphin interaction program, totally awesome, worth every penny. But SeaWorld and DLR are apples and oranges. You have a different set of expectations at each one. Thanks for the warning about Legoland, as my kids are beating me up badly to go there when we go DLR and SeaWorld in November. Anyone else have anything on Legoland?

DopeyWife
08-05-2003, 09:31 AM
Legoland is a park made for children, so your kids will have a blast when they go. If they play with Legos, it will be fun for them to see the MiniLand where New York, San Francisco, Washington D.C., etc. is all made out of Legos. Plus, I think there is also a place for kids to play with Legos. For most people, Legoland is a one-time thing, but it's a fun place for kids.

donatello3000
08-05-2003, 09:44 AM
I took advantage of that Sea World Fun Card deal, so I've been going a few times this year. It's only about 10 minutes from my school.
Yes, I like the food at Shipwreck Reef Café inside Sea World... That's the only place I eat within that park, though (since I live here in San Diego, I usually just leave to eat at a local eatery rather than in the park). I've only seen Cirque De La Mer. I haven't had the chance to see the night show. I can't wait until the Journey To Atlantis is finished.
Legoland... I've only been there once. We went a couple months after it opened, and I wasn't really impressed. Sure, it was meant for the little ones, but they weren't impressed either. I agree that the rides aren't worth waiting in long lines. The theming was also just ok, but there's only so much you can do with plastic blocks. Not saying it's a bad park... lots of families in my neighborhood have annual passes, because their children love it. (Maybe cause DLR is too far :D ) I haven't been to Legoland in a while, and A LOT has been added.
If DCA does get a Cirque-type show, I wonder how the theming will be. I also don't see any places that would be able to house that show.

TP2000
08-05-2003, 11:14 AM
Legoland is a fun little diversion, but it can learn a LOT from Disneyland. I went on a weekday in the Spring, and we basically had the place to ourselves. But they have NO CLUE how to operate attractions efficiently there. The employees are generally pleasant if you need something from them, otherwise they are just sort of leaning around and chewing gum while they stare out into the distance. There's not a whole lot of polish to the employees, and I can only imagine how horrible it must be to wait in line for 90 minutes for those little rides that load/unload like mollasses in January.

I bet Legoland would be fun for kids under 10, but it would likely be a nightmare for the parents who are there on a busy weekend or holiday period.

I agree with the Sea World food thing though. I went a year ago and ate at the "Dine With Shamu" thing and the shipwreck restaurant near the raft ride. Both restaurants had great, fresh food at reasonable (for a theme park) prices. The food at DLR really seems to be going downhill lately. I didn't go to Sea World this year to see that Cirque stuff, but I plan on going back in '04 when they open that big new Journey To Atlantis water coaster ride.

My State of SoCal Theme Parks Address for 2003 is: Sea World is GREAT for what it's supposed to do, Legoland needs a lot of help operationally, Six Flags is one of the worst places on earth, and the DLR is slipping a bit from it's old golden standard.

cstephens
08-05-2003, 11:32 AM
I think the food at Sea World is very good, much better than a lot of what is offered at DL and DCA. It used to be slim pickin's many years ago when the only place I could find good enough to eat was the fried chicken place in the middle of the park, but with Shipwreck and Cascades (I think it's called Mango Joe's now) and Mamma Stella's, there were a lot of good new choices available.

As for Cirque de la Mer, I sure hope Disney doesn't do a version of that. I found the show to be extremely boring and a waste of my time. Saw it once - don't intend to ever see it again. If they're gonna do a cirque, do the real Cirque.