PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Rio

Dominguez Grove
08-04-2003, 06:52 PM
I haven't been to Disneyland for many years. In fact, last time I was there, I parked under the power lines (Dopey lot?).

Any way, there used to be this arcade game in "Tedi Bara's Swingin' Arcade". I was called "Johnny Rio". It was this quick draw pistol game where you would try to out shoot a mechanical cowboy.

Can anyone tell me if it's still there? I've been looking for his beady eyes....

Uncle Dick
08-04-2003, 09:48 PM
I'm afraid Johnny and his cyborg compatriot in the Starcade have been gone for at least four years now.

Rumor has it they were removed in an effort to clean up Disneyland's image, especially in the wake of school shootings around the country.

iAmJacksDLand
08-04-2003, 09:50 PM
I remember that game! I loved that game! Only, I never played it at Disneyland. I played it at a family amusement park up north. That cowboy scared me.

Anyways, in response to your question, the Bear Country arcade is no longer there. As far as I know, the Winnie The Pooh shop replaced it. Or some other shops did a while back. The Country Bears show is also gone. The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh replaced that.

Tigertail777
08-05-2003, 09:37 AM
If you want to see Johnny Rio (as long as he isnt broken that is :) ) go to a little theme park in Salem Oregon called Enchanted Forest, he is there in the western town. The park is a fun little family owned place.:D

Dominguez Grove
08-05-2003, 09:37 AM
Thanks Fellas,

I'm going to Disneyland in a few weeks. I haven't been there for over 11 years, so expect many changes (to say the least). I had hoped that ol' Johnny would still be hangin' round, but I'm not surprised (just disappointed) my ol' nemesis has high tailed it out of Dodge. Used to be, I went to DL once a year, and when I did, I always made a point of heading up to Tedi Bara's and "calling him out". It actually became a little tradition.

Ah well…. Guess it's happy trails.

Originally Posted by Uncle Dick
Rumor has it they were removed in an effort to clean up Disneyland's image, especially in the wake of school shootings around the country.

That's funny! I can imagine the conversation that took place leading up to this…...
<insert flash back waves>

Executive: We Need to Clean Up This Town!

Lacky: Okay, sir. We've got a Trouble Maker in Critter Country. A fella by the name of "Rio" has been causing problems down at Tedi's.

Executive: Hmmm… Tedi's eh? Too many riff raff hang around Bara's place…Round up the boys an' Deputize em'… we need to run this "Rio" character out of town. Once we clear out the bad element, we'll be able to shut Tedi's place down with out a fight.

Narrator: And with the bad man Johnny Rio gone, and Tedi Bara's seedy establishment boarded up, the happy and humble town folk can once again walk the streets of Critter Country.
<Queue Music, roll credits>

FYI -- Don't know if you guys are big fans, but if you're interested, there's a broadcaster on Live 365 called "D-Source". Every once in a while they play some of the Dialog from Johnny Rio. http://www.live365.com/stations/haytx

Cadaverous Pallor
08-05-2003, 11:55 AM
Heehee, love the post, DG! Seems you're new to these here parts, but we're a welcomin' sort of town, so sit a spell. ;) I like your style, cowpoke.

I hope you enjoy some of the new things that Disneyland has to offer these days. I'd love to hear a trip report after you get back!

BTW, if you're interested in Disneyland radio, check out Flubber's awesome station...
http://www.live365.com/stations/rdunbar

Dominguez Grove
08-05-2003, 02:24 PM
Cadaverous Pallor

Much obliged, pardner. Yup, I'm a stranger in these parts. Well, to posting anyways. I've actually been reading this and other DL sites for a few years now.

I was pondering a Trip Report. I guess I'll go ahead and do one. It might be fun to write because my current perspective on DL is somewhat out dated. Heck, last time I was there, there was no Toontown, no Indy, no California Adventure; however, there were People Movers, Subs, Skyways, Mary Blair murals, Rocket Jets, a Tomorrowland Terrace, Motor Boat cruises and the Jungle Cruise boats had Red and white striped Canopies.

Plus…. Last time I went, I was a single guy with a girlfriend. Now I'm a married guy with 2 kids. So, just bringing the little ones will be new experience.:eek:

giddyup!

Cadaverous Pallor
08-05-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Dominguez Grove
I was pondering a Trip Report. I guess I'll go ahead and do one. It might be fun to write because my current perspective on DL is somewhat out dated. Heck, last time I was there, there was no Toontown, no Indy, no California Adventure; however, there were People Movers, Subs, Skyways, Mary Blair murals, Rocket Jets, a Tomorrowland Terrace, Motor Boat cruises and the Jungle Cruise boats had Red and white striped Canopies.

Plus…. Last time I went, I was a single guy with a girlfriend. Now I'm a married guy with 2 kids. So, just bringing the little ones will be new experience.:eek:Ok, now you HAVE TO write a trip report. You will have a wonderfully different point of view.

Make sure to follow some of the tips in this thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18968) when you go. There are plenty of other advice threads you can search for as well.

Have fun!