PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Christmas Parties [Rumor]: Good, bad or other?

Pages : [1] 2

Teddi
10-17-2012, 07:45 AM
What do you guys think about Christmas parties (with or without Candlelight options) coming to Disneyland?

I know the Halloween parties are popular. I've never been. In fact I haven't been to DLR at Halloween time since 2003 and from what I recall this was pre-parties and though decorated it was more low-key. I have been a big fan of Christmastime at DLR.

I'm feeling resentment, not excitement over pay-to-Christmas parties. To me, thinking forward, I have in my mind how sharply ticket and annual pass prices have gone up. Ok, I can understand. They added Carsland and WOC and fixed DCA and that's a benefit back to everyone every day the parks are open. However when I think of all the things that made me want to go at Christmas/December (and how it's tough to schedule it). Now to think of the things we've had- the Christmas fireworks, Santa and the reindeer, the snow, Christmas parade, decorations, overlays.... and that a lot of that will may now be restricted pay-to-play access that I either fork over to enjoy OR conversely don't and then lose as part of my whole trip experience (including being bounced out of Disneyland and over to DCA during party hours) then I'm really unhappy because now the trip planning portion becomes more hairy. For some reason, I know if they go bring the parties to DLR and restrict the holiday goodies and I know we're losing park time we never did in the past AND it's gouging at Christmas time? I feel like the grinch kidnapped Mickey.

But maybe there are upsides I haven't really thought about. Are you folks excited at the prospect of more parties? And if you're local, do you see yourself drawn to these? What if you're not local? Does it make you want to visit more or less?

houseofmouse
10-17-2012, 08:10 AM
Since nothing has been officially announced it is still a huge rumor at this point.
I don't care about the reindeer being in Disneyland or not. There may be a reason we don't know as to why they aren't coming back.

The reduced hours would be a huge bummer, people say it is not crowded during those first two weeks but there are days it is very crowded.

I wonder how that would work with the Holiday Tour? As part of the tour is to watch the Christmas parade. So if they keep the tour then on some days, everyone would be able to see the holiday parade. It is a great tour, my DD and I did in 2010.

I think it shows a money mentality that I am not happy to see. Certainly they are not hurting for money, so saying they need to make money off holiday parties is not a true answer. Also saying if people who aren't willing to pay extra can just see the parade, fireworks ect.. the last two weeks of December is ridiculous. The park will be super packed because of that and how enjoyable would that be?

Hopefully if they are going to offer parade and fireworks as a perk, they should be coming up with new shows then. If someone has been going for years and have seen both shows, why would they pay extra?

ThatCrazyRedhead
10-17-2012, 08:37 AM
I really, really hope they don't do this! The Disneyland Christmas parade is one of my favorite things in life. Even when we don't have annual passes, we try to make sure we at least get to take one trip a year at Christmastime. If the powers that be decided to charge extra for all the things I love so much, it would be a difficult decision whether to go or not. It would definitely put a bad taste in my mouth. Yes, I know that Disney is a business with an eye on the bottom line like any other, but the magic gets lost when corporate greed colors every aspect of a Disney vacation. At least it does for me.

Drince88
10-17-2012, 11:24 AM
Where was this mentioned?

houseofmouse
10-17-2012, 11:33 AM
Drince- Miceage for this rumor. Won't be surprising if other disney sites, Jim Hill, Stitch Kingdom etc.. start posting this as well.

danyoung
10-17-2012, 12:43 PM
I have a big problem with those who say that the Disney company is getting greedy. Any corporation's main job is to make money. Here, with Disneyland (and in general the Disney parks), they have a property that continues to operate at near max capacity, no matter how much they raise the prices. There is very clear room for them to do even more to maximize their profits. Sounds cold, and perhaps not the way Walt ran the place. But as long as people keep coming in droves, the Disney company has no incentive to lower their prices, or even to stop raising them. Do I like it that this is happening? Of course not. But it's not greed as much as it is just good use of a corporate resource.

Teddi
10-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Just to clarify I am not calling the TWDC greedy. I understand they make products and services and sell them and make money in the process. I actually WANT TWDC to make money, because Mickey pays my mortgage, you know? And my husband's little world of the TWDC isn't making money, it's losing. And WDP&R has been a big performer for the company the past few years, despite a recession and super slow recovery. The healthier the overall company the more likely they'll tolerate Disney Interactive losses longer.... that said, it still has to be a happy marriage between company, product, and consumer. For me, still as a consumer (and I always think these things forward do the day we're not getting a paycheck from the Mouse). I'm not happy with the potential product, compared to what I've bought from them in the past (our vacations). So, I'm not going to rail against them... I'm just probably not turned onto buy the new product (Christmas parties). I'm a free market believer and I was just picking the brains of others to see if this appeals to them or not. I saw on some other blogs that some folks really feel like Christmastime take-aways may push them to not renew APs for example. So my issue or whatever isn't with a strong, healthy, profitable Walt Disney Co, it's with this product coming to Disneyland.

ThatCrazyRedhead
10-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Where it comes across as greedy to me, Dan, is if they all of a sudden start charging for things that have always been included in the cost of admission, like the Christmas parade and the fireworks. They may as well go back to the old A through E ticket system and charge for each and every attraction separately. It's not like they need to generate more revenue in order to stay open or keep from having to lay off employees. I get that Walt started a business and not a charity, but I'm also pretty sure that didn't just see people as wallets with legs. Just my opinion.

MammaSilva
10-17-2012, 04:21 PM
well they did exactly that with the Halloween screams fireworks...the first few years when the party was held at DCA the fireworks were just a part of the season, when they moved the parties to Disneyland, then the fireworks became exclusive to the party ticket holders. The little parade isn't worth mentioning as a value lost/added to the trick or treat party since it's really small/short. With the success of the holiday parties at WDW I can totally see them looking at the resort with a view to how can we bring that extra income to our side of the company.

houseofmouse
10-17-2012, 05:45 PM
I'm still curious as to what would happen to the holiday tour? The seats and front section for viewing is great, plus the hot cocoa and cookie!!

danyoung
10-17-2012, 06:13 PM
Just to clarify I am not calling the TWDC greedy.

I wasn't addressing anyone specifically, Teddi - just speaking in general.

Where it comes across as greedy to me, Dan, is if they all of a sudden start charging for things that have always been included in the cost of admission, like the Christmas parade and the fireworks.

And that's your right, Red. But it seems to me that it's simply a matter of Disney creating an event like the Christmas parties, throwing it in for free for a few years, and then realizing that there's a profit to be made there. Of course, if they start charging for parties and no one shows up, then they need to revert back to the older model.

AVP
10-18-2012, 07:57 AM
I'm still curious as to what would happen to the holiday tour? The seats and front section for viewing is great, plus the hot cocoa and cookie!!I wonder if they'd bundle it on party nights the same way they do the Halloween tour now.

AVP

houseofmouse
10-18-2012, 11:51 AM
I wasn't addressing anyone specifically, Teddi - just speaking in general.

And that's your right, Red. But it seems to me that it's simply a matter of Disney creating an event like the Christmas parties, throwing it in for free for a few years, and then realizing that there's a profit to be made there. Of course, if they start charging for parties and no one shows up, then they need to revert back to the older model.

For a few years Dan? What like 10 years? I could see if it had been happening a year and then they change over but um..it's been more than a few years for holiday parade and fireworks. It's ridiculous.

AVP- ah I didn't know you had to buy a ticket to the Halloween party to do the tour now. :(

olegc
10-18-2012, 11:58 AM
THe Christmas Parade has been around a lot longer than 10 years. Maybe not in its current version - but its been there for a very long time. So has the tree (or a tree) on Main St. and you used to be able to visit Santa right there in Town Square. When I was a kid I experienced this, my daughter when she was 4 (and now 23) experienced it, and so on. THey also did have a fireworks show but back then it was a version of Fantasyland in the Sky with a special Holiday tag at the end.

It's never been marketed as a Christmas "party" at Disneyland. it's always been "Holidays at Disneyland" or something of that sort. Should they start going with the WDW model it will be sad indeed. I understand it but still sad.

houseofmouse
10-18-2012, 01:34 PM
Olegc, oh I know it's been around much longer than 10 years. My son is 18 and we saw the Holiday Parade when he was a baby. I was just throwing out a number.

danyoung
10-18-2012, 01:48 PM
houseofmouse, I still stand by my point, even if it's been more than a few years. If Disney wants to change the model by which we all enjoy Christmas stuff, that's their right. People will either embrace it and pony up the bucks for the parties or they won't. I don't like it any more than you do.

currence
10-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Having been to Halloween Fireworks when they were free - I was all for putting them behind a separate admission. The crowds were unbearable! I'm even glad that it seems they are now cracking down on people staying behind and trying to see them without having the wristband.

As to Christmas time though, I'm a bit torn. Maybe because seeing the fireworks/parade hasn't been a super high priority for my family, it doesn't seem like the supply/demand equation necessarily pointed to the need for a hard-ticketed event. I like all of the decorations for Christmas and that most of the stuff you can see/do is free/low cost. I will wait to see what this year brings before making any conclusions, but if done poorly, they could be shooting themselves in the foot. Of course, they've already announced the 20 Candlelight sessions without giving ANY additional details so clearly they have some changes in mind.

houseofmouse
10-18-2012, 03:02 PM
houseofmouse, I don't like it any more than you do.
Editing mine.
Dan, in this we are in total agreement. :)

olegc
10-18-2012, 03:23 PM
As to Christmas time though, I'm a bit torn. Maybe because seeing the fireworks/parade hasn't been a super high priority for my family, it doesn't seem like the supply/demand equation necessarily pointed to the need for a hard-ticketed event. I like all of the decorations for Christmas and that most of the stuff you can see/do is free/low cost. I will wait to see what this year brings before making any conclusions, but if done poorly, they could be shooting themselves in the foot. Of course, they've already announced the 20 Candlelight sessions without giving ANY additional details so clearly they have some changes in mind.

Currence - well, not that its official or anything, but the idea of a hard ticket is rumored to be starting for Holidays 2013, not this year (if that's what your comment implied).

Oh, btw, if you have not seen it Dec is also the time to start enforcement of FP return. Enjoy!

currence
10-18-2012, 03:34 PM
Currence - well, not that its official or anything, but the idea of a hard ticket is rumored to be starting for Holidays 2013, not this year (if that's what your comment implied).

Oh, btw, if you have not seen it Dec is also the time to start enforcement of FP return. Enjoy!

Really, I just assumed with the current level of silliness that the hard-ticket would be this year. I suppose this year (if rumors are true) is the year they take everything away that was once free, so that next year they can bring it back as part of the extra charge? I can't wait.

I got fairly worked up when they started the hard return times at WDW but now that they have had to deal with it for a while I'm resigned to it coming here and just grateful we got delayed implementation. I still don't see how it will work when a ride goes down, but I suppose that's Disney's problem, not mine.

Just tell me the rules already so I can figure out how I will play by them

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
10-18-2012, 04:33 PM
I won't pay extra to see fireworks & a parade. I pay enough. If my admission is just for the decorations & rides then I will not go at Christmas time.
We canceled our Disneyland family Christmas trip this year & I am just taking my 2nd son. Hoped to do a family trip next year @ Christmas time. But I won't do it the last 2 weeks of December when we have tons of activities we close to home, justso I can see something that has always been included in my park admission.
Wanted to add that if they want to do parties that is ok b me. Make the parties include something special, like the trick or treating in the Halloween party. Don't take away something from those that chose not to,or cannot afford, an extra ticket.

Tinkermommy
10-20-2012, 11:02 AM
well they did exactly that with the Halloween screams fireworks...the first few years when the party was held at DCA the fireworks were just a part of the season, when they moved the parties to Disneyland, then the fireworks became exclusive to the party ticket holders.

For what it's worth...I went to the first couple Halloween Treats at DCA, with large groups of multiple families. If I remember correctly, the first one cost something like $19. But even after the price went up slowly, it was worth it for the "different" experience. I also took friends to Disneyland (non-passholders) to see the Halloween overlay on Space and watch the Halloween fireworks the year before the party moved to DL, when there was no extra charge. Halloween is their anniversary, and it's totally their "thing." We had a blast, and all of us spent money on food and merchandise, and we spent money on park tickets for them.

Since the party was moved to Disneyland and the decision was made to essentially black out our no-blackout day passes EVERY Friday evening during the month of October that first year, I made the decision to boycott the ticketed event. Not one person that I went to the earlier parties with has gone since, either. Collectively, it's 20-25 people. I know people disagree with my position, and that's fine. I also know the park has always closed some nights for private parties, etc., but Friday is a very good night for locals during what has become a peak season. It just bugged me then, and still bugs me, that the cost of the passes have gone up tremendously ($150 each just this year for ours) and our access to the park has been reduced.

I'm already asking myself whether it makes financial sense to renew our passes next summer, or, now that the Tinkerteen is older, to replace them with Universal passes. Many of my daughter's friends' parents let their own passes go this year, and only renewed them for their kids since the kids can drive themselves.

If the decision is made to further reduce our access on non-school nights during a peak season, there is a good chance that will be the deciding factor. For ME.

jrsharp21
10-20-2012, 01:50 PM
My thought on this is how will you advertise this or make the news public? My guess they will spin it so that it sounds like some new great package or opportunity. I have a feeling that there are going to be many families who make their normal holiday trips without knowing that they no longer get holiday fireworks, snow, and parade without an additional ticket purchase. I know that online DL fans will know this, but figure we are a small minority compared to the overall attendance of DL.

olegc
10-20-2012, 03:42 PM
My thought on this is how will you advertise this or make the news public? My guess they will spin it so that it sounds like some new great package or opportunity. I have a feeling that there are going to be many families who make their normal holiday trips without knowing that they no longer get holiday fireworks, snow, and parade without an additional ticket purchase. I know that online DL fans will know this, but figure we are a small minority compared to the overall attendance of DL.

i went to WDW in 2007 - and if it's anything like that then the hotels will inundate all guests with signs, announcements, and cast member questions of "did you get your Holiday Party Tickets yet?" - and of course many guests might ask what that is. Upon discovering its the package they will feel like THEY made the mistake of not finding out - and feeling left out and not wanting to dissapoint anyone on their trip - will spend the money. In the legal system that has lots of names - but here its just marketing.

Of course - this is ALL speculation and hearsay until next winter - but of course in the One Disney world, what;s good for Florida will DEFINITELY be good for Anaheim.

Teddi
10-20-2012, 07:20 PM
I personally think they are misjudging their park populations IF of course this is the plan. I know some people travel to Disneyland to do the Halloween parties. And I know TONS of locals go. But given that December is a colder and rainier and busier time for locals (passholders or otherwise) I do NOT think that there's going to be a lot of locals/aps who are really that interested in doing a Christmas party. I think that folks are probably "spent" out by then. I think the reaction of taking away the ability to go to Disneyland during the "holidays" when it works well for them and getting all the Christmas stuff that's been offered for years now isn't going to sell well. A lot of the distance travelers do the peak times travel (thanksgiving week and week after Christmas) and so if they do offer the fireworks during this time, there isn't much incentive to draw those folks to the parties either. IMO. And even the idea of fireworks- I personally find Halloween ones to be special and unique (we did see them once back in 2003 I believe). In fact while I like the Christmas fireworks, it's a lot of red and green and I've only really seen the show completely once in recent years.

Do we have any FL locals who do both Halloween and Christmas parties? I'd really like their opinion on it. So far we haven't heard any "yes the parties would be great" or even "I'd love to see them come to Disneyland" or what the upside to them would be.