PDA

View Full Version : [Rumor] New Ironman e-ticket thrill ride in Tomorrowland

Pages : [1] 2

jcruise86
10-16-2012, 11:38 AM
Today on Miceage.com, Al Lutz reported that Innoventions will be replaced by an Iron Man e-ticket thrill ride.

I hope it's not another flight simulator attraction.

How about Ironman's Circlevision Tour of Earth in 3D? I'm serious. A superhero doesn't always have to save the planet, he could just have a great time flying all over it. He could deliver the Small World message in the coolest, most dramatic way imaginable.

Or get Universal to build Disneyland or DCA an Avengers version of their outstanding Spiderman attraction.

ThatCrazyRedhead
10-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Ugh. I know that Disney bought Marvel, but I really don't think Marvel belongs in Disneyland. :(

jcruise86
10-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Ugh. I know that Disney bought Marvel, but I really don't think Marvel belongs in Disneyland. :(
Do Star Tours and Indiana Jones?

jrsharp21
10-16-2012, 11:46 AM
Star Tours and Indiana Jones belong in DL because they are not found in any other theme park. When I think superheroes in a theme park, i think Universal or Six Flags.

ThatCrazyRedhead
10-16-2012, 11:55 AM
Do Star Tours and Indiana Jones?

You have a good point there, jcruise86. I guess I'm just used to those rides being there. I think they blend really well in the lands that they're in, though. Not to say that an Iron Man attraction wouldn't blend well in Tomorrowland, but I'd rather the Marvel characters and merchandise had their own park than see them in Disneyland. Just my opinion. :)

cstephens
10-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Star Tours and Indiana Jones belong in DL because they are not found in any other theme park.

Hmmm, I'm still digesting that reasoning, but just as an example, "Avatar" characters aren't found in any other theme park, but lots of people object to their being added to Animal Kingdom.

jcruise86
10-16-2012, 12:06 PM
Star Tours and Indiana Jones belong in DL because they are not found in any other theme park . . .
. . . besides Legoland.

DwarfPlanet
10-16-2012, 01:01 PM
If an attraction or ride had to have been created by Disney we would have a pretty empty park.

Rufus T Firefly
10-16-2012, 02:17 PM
If an attraction or ride had to have been created by Disney we would have a pretty empty park.

Very good point indeed.

Cory Gross
10-16-2012, 03:30 PM

Howso? The only licenced attractions in Disney parks are ones based on Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Twilight Zone, and at the time, Pixar.

Object to Marvel, and to Pixar and Lucasfilm and Avatar and so on, because I go to Disneyland seeking a Disney brand experience. Those are different brands and, regardless of whether or not the ride is good, I find they detract from the overall experience. I would rather have the Temple of the Forbidden Eye be it's own attraction without Indy (at least it's not about Indy) much like how the Tokyo Tower of Terror has nothing to do with the Twilight Zone. I honestly don't care all that much about Marvel - I'm a DC guy, but that's beside the point - and Marvel rides would be a further reason not to bother with Tomorrowland. If I wanted Marvel I would go to a Marvelland, and if I wanted a random, themeless mish-mash of whatever movie licences happen to be hot right now, I would go to Universal Studios.

jcruise86
10-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Here is an incomplete but interesting list by Erik Olson I added to it with "[ ]"

Blue Sky Attractions:

Mission to Mars
PeopleMover
Space Mountain
People Mover
Autopia / Tomorrowland Speedway
Motorboat Cruise / Speedboats
Submarine Voyage
America Sings
Carousel of Progress
Rocket Rods
Rocket Jets
Astro Orbiter
Skyway
Matterhorn
Haunted Mansion
Jungle Cruise
Pirates of the Caribbean [Now with Jack Sparrow, Blackbeard & Hector Barbossa]
Columbia Sailing Ship
Mark Twain
Country Bear Jamboree
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Pack Mules
Mine Train
Adventure Through Inner Space
It's a Small World [Now with some characters from Disney/Pixar films]
Alweg Monorail
Disneyland RR
...[Grizzly River Rapids
Goldon Zephyr]
. . .
[& Circlevision films, Mulholland Madness--how could he forget this along with a whole bunch of DCA attractions?]

Storybook Land [a hybrid]

Derivative Attractions:

Tom Sawyer's Island [not that derivative of Disney's films. Twain is public domain.]
Snow White's Scary Adventures
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Peter Pan's Flight
Swiss Family [& Tarzan's] Treehouse
Mad Tea Party
Alice in Wonderland
King Arthur's Carousel [Not that derivative]
[King Triton's Carousel
Ariel's Undersea Adventure]
Star Tours
Radiator Springs Racers
Luigi's Flying Tires
Splash Mountain
Dumbo the Flying Elephant
Roger Rabbit's Toontown Spin
Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
Casey Jr. Train
[Left off Nemo's subs, It's Tough to be a Bug, Silly Symphony Swings, Mickey's Fun Wheel, the Animation Bldg., several Bugsland rides, Jedi Training Academy every parade, fireworks display, Fantasmic! and. . .]

pcrazy99
10-16-2012, 04:54 PM
I'm not excited about this if it's true but that's only because I'm not a fan of the movies. If Disney does decide to start bringing the Marvel characters into Disneyland I'm sure they will find a way to make it work. I'm a huge Star Wars fan but I know other people don't feel the same way I do about it in the park. You can't love everything at Disneyland.

houseofmouse
10-16-2012, 05:03 PM
I haven't read that article but I bet they could find a way to carefully meld IronMan into the attraction and have it not be hugely in your face. What I don't want to see is Marvel stuff for purchase overtaking the stores and the "old" Disney Merch disappear. :(
"

azza29
10-16-2012, 06:38 PM
I think Iron Man is a great fit for Tomorrowland, especially if you look at the origin stories which show his father as a kind a Walt Disney-esque visionary. I'd be surprised if WDI can't do something awesome with this IP.

olegc
10-16-2012, 10:18 PM

and lets not forget all the animatronics and ride systems outsourced to outside parties - not built in house (Jack Skellington being the first one).

olegc
10-16-2012, 10:25 PM
Object to Marvel, and to Pixar and Lucasfilm and Avatar and so on, because I go to Disneyland seeking a Disney brand experience. Those are different brands and, regardless of whether or not the ride is good, I find they detract from the overall experience.

you could probably use that argument against most of the things in Adventureland (derivative of real jungle excursions - and African Queen) and Frontierland (wild west movies of which Disney made some but not the classics). I am obviously being very silly here with the argument - but my point is this. I believe over the years the Disney brand has come to mean more than just the characters and/or stories from their films and cartoons. I think these days the Disney brand is also about high quality, immersive experiences that transport you to a place and give you an experience you can't get anywhere else. I think the idea of only "true Disney" brands is nice and nostalgic but not realistic.

Will I be annoyed if Iron Man doesn't "fit" into Tomorrowland they way we may expect it to? You bet - but it's the same as when Pooh was installed in Critter Country. Terrible execution and somewhat forced fit into that land. And that was a Disney brand. Just an opinion, of course...

jrsharp21
10-17-2012, 04:34 AM
Star Tours and Indiana Jones belong in DL because they are not found in any other theme park . . .
. . . besides Legoland.

Dang it, forgot about LL.

DwarfPlanet
10-17-2012, 09:42 AM
[COLOR="#000000"][COLOR="#000000"]Here is an incomplete but interesting list by Erik Olson

Good list, it wouldn't be as empty as I thought, but alot of stuff would not be there and I would drop the monorail down to the derivative list IMHO.

Rufus T Firefly
10-17-2012, 11:39 AM
Will I be annoyed if Iron Man doesn't "fit" into Tomorrowland they way we may expect it to? You bet - but it's the same as when Pooh was installed in Critter Country. Terrible execution and somewhat forced fit into that land. And that was a Disney brand. Just an opinion, of course...

Iron Man would fit back there better than America Sings ever did. Remember when?

olegc
10-17-2012, 12:21 PM
Iron Man would fit back there better than America Sings ever did. Remember when?

I agree with the fact - but I did love that Attraction...

Blacksheep Uncle
10-17-2012, 12:52 PM
does anybody have the actual right/wrong record Al Lutz has with these sorts of predictions?

oregontraveler
10-17-2012, 01:07 PM
does anybody have the actual right/wrong record Al Lutz has with these sorts of predictions?

No, but the fact that we're talking about a rumour from another website, and that's it's not being reported by the MP staff should tell you something.

olegc
10-17-2012, 01:10 PM

well, he has some good sources but sometimes his dates or actual minutae are different than what actually comes out to the public. And, the whole idea of Carsland going christmas was not scooped by him IMHO. Like anything - it's all rumor, insider info, and "behind the scenes". The easier part for him is, of course, if something is different all that has to be said is that Disney changed their mind. I don't like his tone or the way he editorializes with his information - but that's my opinion.

I just wonder - why would you only do Iron Man when Avengers blew the door off of everything? I guess it depends how much work you want to put into it. if it were a spiderman/transformers style attraction the smartest thing would be that you're riding in a shield hovercraft vehicle and you are agents. It's a good lead in to a story. Maybe its because IM3, CA2, and Thor2 are all coming out - it would be hard to show something off without giving something away or not meshing with the coming stories of the films.

stan4d_steph
10-17-2012, 01:38 PM
Okay, since we have a lot of discussion of posts from another site recently, it's time to remind everyone about our policy (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?7978-Community-policies-Discussion-of-other-Web-sites&highlight=other+sites). We don't want board wars. You're free to start threads about items you find on other sites, but really it's more appropriate to discuss them at their site of origin. Threads may be closed at the discretion of the moderators if we determine they violate MousePad policy.

Chadsgal
10-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Well, as much as I think they should just add a Third Gate & have it Marvel themed. I think if Walt was still around he would LOVE the futuristic idea of Iron's Man's suit & his clean energy. Carousel of progress was based on GE why not a e ticket w/ some kind of Stark's clean burning energy theme. There used to be space men roaming around Disneyland & I can see how this could just be the updated version of that. I am just saying; I could see how they could make it work.