PDA

View Full Version : Rumors of DLs demise have been greatly exaggerated

scaeagles
08-04-2003, 02:53 PM
OK.....I will admit that I only go a couple of times a year because I live in Phoenix, but I am wondering what all the doom and gloom on this board is about.

My family and I just got back yesterday from 5 nights staying at the Grand Californian, and we had an absolutey wonderful time. I have read AL's columns and postings by those who are unimpressed and discouraged with the condition of and service in the parks. I had a couple of minor concerns, but no vacation is perfect.

During 5 days spent in DL and DCA, I noticed no peeling paint or buildings that were in a shambles (granted, I wasn't looking for it....but without looking for it I didn't notice it).....I encountered no rude cast members, no ride broke for any extended amount of time (Cal Screaming and GRR each went down for periods of time that I saw, but were up again shortly), and yes, I even liked the new Pooh ride.....The Electrical Parade was great, as was Fantasmic, and the entertainment around the place was as good as ever. There are a tremendous amount of dining options available (though I will admit sometimes scarce at DL) throughout the resort, and some have wonderful food. Expensive, yes (like the Storyteller's Cafe), but I expected that and it was no shock.

The service was outstanding at the hotel....we even had a very strange difficulty that the GC Hotel was very concerned about and ended up crediting a large amount to our bill - we parked in the self parking, and our car was touching a shrub - a tremendous amount of black ants went up the shrub, through our engine compartment, and into our car, raiding the trash within and getting into everything. Not really their fault, but they were great about it - I didn't even call them to complain, only to ask if they had a vaccuum they could bring out so I could more easily clean them up.

I understand there are those who are disappointed with the resort at present, but I am not one of them. I do not think the average guest would be disappointed, either.

Two things bothered me - the attractions were often understaffed, and finding things to eat inside DL during the mid week was sometimes challanging.

Being that I have been reading this board for a while, I was expecting things to be at their worst. I don't know if that lowered my expectations or made me look for the bad more, but my whole family had a great time.

SpaceMTJunkie
08-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Amen!

CarlieB
08-04-2003, 03:01 PM
Glad you had such a great time:) It sounds like you enjoyed the Storytellers Cafe - any recommendations for what to order?

ramson
08-04-2003, 04:12 PM
Thanks so much for the positive post. My best friend & I, two WDW veterans are meeting up at DL in 21 days. I have been to DL 3X, but not since 1999 and this is her first time there. We opted for DL instead of WDW this trip at my insistance & I have been doubting myself after reading so many negative things. We are prepared for Tomorrowland being a washout but have high hopes about the rest of the trip. Glad your experiences were positive & I hope ours are too.

halestorm
08-04-2003, 04:37 PM
Positive posts on these boards don't happen often. I go to the DLR all the time, and I never even notice the stuff they talk about here.

But like you said, I don't go looking for it. I suppose if you want to have a miserable time and you go looking for kinks in the armor, you will find it.

Glad you had a good time.

Silrandil
08-04-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by CarlieB
Glad you had such a great time:) It sounds like you enjoyed the Storytellers Cafe - any recommendations for what to order?

I know you weren't asking me, but the spagetti is great:D

teach
08-04-2003, 08:31 PM
scaeagles

Glad you had a great trip, I think you are one of the majority that has such an experience. I encourage people to go to DLR and enjoy themselves, not look for things to complain about. Thanks for your comments.

kijay
08-05-2003, 07:59 AM
So true. This just shows that there is plenty still right in D-Land. It gives a good feeling that somebody actually went there and, OMG, had a wonderful time. Won't that upset all the bellyachers that seem to dominate this board, and others like it? How long until someone gets on here and trys to tell him what a bad time he should have had or that he is just a Disney clone. I am very glad to see someone say the obvious, that you have to go looking for problems to find them, that you can still have a magical time in D-Land. Great job.:D

hbquikcomjamesl
08-05-2003, 08:49 AM
I never thought I'd find common ground with "SCAEAGLES" on anything, but I'm in complete agreement with him on this.

DonaldDuck14
08-05-2003, 08:58 AM
yeah iam very glad u guys had a great time. Besides the people who complain are those annual passholders who expect too much from disney and want everything in like brand spanking new condition and go to the parks nit-picking everything to death. So for those of you out there that are planning a vacation to the DLR, don't worry, disneyland and DCA aren't in bad shape as people embellish and cry about, just go and have a good time ;)

Bill Catherall
08-05-2003, 09:12 AM
I'm glad your family had a good time Scaeagles. You know, I've seen all the bad things people talk about (peeling paint, thatched roofs falling apart, etc.) even though I don't really go looking for it and I still always have a good time. It doesn't ruin my experience to see that, although it does make my heart ache.

Keep in mind, the "bellyachers" also love the park and that's why they complain about something you might find to be nitpicking. They see something they love becoming something less than it used to be. I can see where they are coming from and I have nothing against them.

Like any review, whether it be a movie or a theme park, you should reserve your own judgement for after you see it with your own eyes. Don't let "bad press" about Disneyland discourage you from going.

mrfantasmic
08-05-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Bill Catherall

Keep in mind, the "bellyachers" also love the park and that's why they complain about something you might find to be nitpicking. They see something they love becoming something less than it used to be. I can see where they are coming from and I have nothing against them.

I'll admit to being a bellyacher every once in awhile, so I can say that Bill is right about this. We do love the park a lot!
However, I always have a fantastic time at the park. For some reason, closed rides or things like that don't phase me because there is so much to do there! Even if it's just a Fantasyland ride, they're so much fun!
But I don't agree that the park is on its way to becoming Knotts or something like that. I know that because of all the time and effort poured into the park, no matter what it will still retain its magic!
mrfantasmic

Tigertail777
08-05-2003, 09:57 AM
I am glad to hear you had a fun time, but I still contend that DL is a former shell of what it once was... particularly what used to be one of my fave lands: tomorrowland. I found the site of tomorrowland so depressing last July that I just couldn't set foot into it not even to ride space mountain or star tours. The sub lagoon was full of floating trash and even had little plastic fish from the ride floating on top... this just broke my heart ...I loved the subs. The tiki room was great fun, but it had so many of its birdy performers broken (dead) that it too was a bit heart breaking.
Before this trip it had been over 10 years since my last visit, I knew I had to prepare myself for changes, but nothing could prepare me for how bad the park had gotten overall... when I was younger we used to go to DL every few months, it got to be like a familiar old friend. Now I feel like my friend is on life support, and only has a 50/50 chance of living.
Those who like DL now, thats wonderful, but you must realize how much more magical the park used to be, it used to have so many details that set it head and shoulders above any other family theme park (except perhaps wdw). Now I am beginning to find it more and more comparable to other lesser theme parks or amusement parks.

johnnyrad
08-05-2003, 10:10 AM
Word on the street is it might close down totally in about 10 years. :mad:

Tigertail777
08-05-2003, 11:03 AM
I highly doubt it will close. However (and I shudder to even think about this) I would not be surpised if it was bought out by another company. I can't help but wonder if the reason for the degradation is to get it ready for a corporate buy-out (cutting as many losses as possible before bailing). It seems to have all the signs of a buyout; cashing in on as many pieces of the whole as possible ( like the ebay auctions for all the old "surplus" ride cars etc.), cutting back on employees, and paring everything down to bare necessities without re-investing into any major projects.
I am hoping I am wrong (unless by some offchance it gets sold to a company like oriental land co.).
Only time will tell... but despite all the wrong things the place is, and will always be still magical.:D

mrfantasmic
08-05-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by johnnyrad
Word on the street is it might close down totally in about 10 years. :mad:
Umm... what street were you walking down, National Enquirer street?

scaeagles
08-05-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Bill Catherall

I have absolutely nothing against them, either. I simply do not understand, as I do not share their frame of reference. But I do have a history of going 2-3 times a year since the early 80s.

Someone mentioned Tomorrowland.....it is a bummer, and if it weren't for my 4 year old son wanting to drive on Autopia over and over and over ad infinitum I would have had no reason to venture there. Space Mountain is an all time favorite of most everyone, but I understand the need for the redo and am more accepting of it than others seem to be. I can also understand budgets cuts and not having the money to invest in the subs or something else. Does a multimillion dollar investment in the subs boost their bottom line? Not for one ride. It is clear to me they are investing what they can to get DCA improved, which is fine. It's all the same to me - we spent a large amount of time in both parks.

My original post was simply to suggest to those who may read on here the gloom and doom and be discouraged about going that they need not be so. A widespread discouragement and lowered attendance will only add to management not wanting to invest money, as they will feel they won't get it back.

One other aside - funniest thing I've ever heard a cast member say. My 9.5 year old daughter and I were going on the Maliboomer. The operator said "Launch in 5...4...3...." and the ride shot up on 3. When we returned, he said "Sorry about the countdown.....I guess that's why I didn't get the California Screaming job.".