PDA

View Full Version : Bad Behavior On Pirates of the Caribbean

Pages : [1] 2

odnamraortsac
08-02-2003, 02:39 PM
I was on POTC on 8/1/03 when a guest spent most of the ride with his video camera light on. Not only was I treated to this distraction but also comments from the cast member in the Tower on the speaker system telling him to shut off the light. It became a battle of wills as the rude guest kept his light on and the cast member continued to berate him for keeping it on. At a certain point, the cast member's voice coming over the speaker became more of a distraction than the video light. There might have been a point where the cast member realized that this jerk was not going to pay attention to him and backed off so as not to cause a bigger annnoyance to the riders. Perhaps the video camera guy was not a jerk and didn't speak English so he couldn't understand the comments. Is there a solution to this problem? Many would suggest peer pressure from the other guests on the boat but maybe some of us do not want to play "hero" then have the rude guest confront us as we exit the attraction.

Gemini Cricket
08-02-2003, 02:52 PM
You should have exited at the end and talked to a Cast Member about the incident. Most of the time, they'll let you ride again w/o standing in line. I've done it on Space Mountain when the lights came on during the ride. :eek: They let me ride again.

rexfarms
08-02-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
You should have exited at the end and talked to a Cast Member about the incident. Most of the time, they'll let you ride again w/o standing in line. I've done it on Space Mountain when the lights came on during the ride. :eek: They let me ride again.

I'd love to rise Space with lights on. But just dont let those rude guests bring down the entire day. ;)

miss bianca
08-02-2003, 06:13 PM
re: the video camera on Pirates....this has happened to me and its very annoying! It was a horrible French couple with their daughter. Very rude. I really felt bad for the CM as he kept yelling at them from the tower.

Hubbie and I kept turning around and staring at them after the CM yelled TWICE for them to turn off the video camera.
Luckily the park was nearly empty so we just walked-on and rode again.

hmbldr
08-02-2003, 06:20 PM
ummm, like the movie, the underwater scenes are awesome. I would suggest some underwater video for the morons home collection. Deep six the baby! :~D

Oh, and of course, everyone one else on board should have been treated to an instant reride.

Language barrier is not an excuse either. Common courtesy doesn't need a translator.

Mickeyslittlehelper
08-02-2003, 06:50 PM
Last year we had a mother with 3 kids. They all had flashlights on during the ride and were taking pics of each other! Finally some people on the boat told them to stop.

T-17

Morrigoon
08-03-2003, 01:35 AM
The lead or tower person should have sent you guys around again w/out being asked. Sorry to hear that one :(

danyoung
08-03-2003, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by miss bianca
Hubbie and I kept turning around and staring at them after the CM yelled TWICE for them to turn off the video camera.

Some people just don't take the hint. You have to pointedly ask them to please turn off that light! Or, if that doesn't work, sneak a hand up in front of the lens. It's all up to the individual as to how far to take a silly confrontation like this. I guess it'd also depend on how much the photographer looks like a biker.

tod
08-03-2003, 02:43 PM
Once, when I was a callow youth, I was in the next-to-last row on a boat at Pirates and some people behind me -- in the last row -- started taking flash pictures. A lot of them. Flash flash flash flash flash.

When I had had quite enough of this, I started raising my hand so it would intrude into their shot, and to indicate my motivation was displeasure (rather than just a random stretch), I, uh, made a gesture with my hand that made them very reluctant to photograph it, if you know what I mean, and I think you do.

Fortunately all of this went on in the last two rows of the boat, so nobody else was offended by my actions.

Like I said, I'm not proud of this, but we all fight our fights in our own ways.

--T
:fez:

CarlieB
08-03-2003, 04:03 PM
Last year, on our first day in the parks, we rode Pirates quite early on. Anyway, there was this guy in the row behind us, who was obviously trying to impress his date by keeping up a loud ongoing spiel about what would happen next on the ride...fun (not!) Nevermind. We rode Pirates about 6 times during our 4 days there, so I got over it:D

danyoung
08-03-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by CarlieB
Last year, on our first day in the parks, we rode Pirates quite early on. Anyway, there was this guy in the row behind us, who was obviously trying to impress his date by keeping up a loud ongoing spiel about what would happen next on the ride...fun (not!) Nevermind. We rode Pirates about 6 times during our 4 days there, so I got over it:D

Good God, is this my favorite sin on rides or what? Let people experience the danged thing for themselves! I've been lucky enough to be tour guide to many friends who've never visited, and I've tried very hard to toe the line between giving useful and valuable information, and just shutting the frick up!

Allison
08-04-2003, 09:49 AM
We will never be rid of those kind of people.

The answer is go for more than one day, and experience things multiple times.

Pirate Girl
08-05-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by miss bianca
re: the video camera on Pirates....this has happened to me and its very annoying! It was a horrible French couple with their daughter. Very rude. I really felt bad for the CM as he kept yelling at them from the tower.

Go figure, French people seem to think they own everything. I was in line for IASW once with a French family in front of my group. When the Cast Member told everyone to board, the family turned around and set all their huge bags, coats, cameras, and shopping bags (which were extremely excessive) on the seat behind them-our seat. Not wanting to be rude we didn't say anything. Luckily, the CM went into action and told them that they needed to move their things or disembark. When they refused he even offered to let them put their stuff on the dock out of the way so they wouldn't have to hold all of it. They refused and got off the boat! The CM calmly lead another family into their seat and as we left I heard him explaining, very slowly, where the group could find lockers.

Bill Catherall
08-05-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by 100thGrimGrinningGhost
Go figure, French people seem to think they own everything. Hmmmm... Sweeping generalizations about an entire nation based on the actions of a couple people. I thought you were the one who hated it when people did that. Or does it only apply to teenagers?

mrfantasmic
08-05-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by 100thGrimGrinningGhost
Go figure, French people seem to think they own everything.
Enough with the French already! I've heard one too many people go off on the French. If you take a trip to france, they are the nicest people in the world, especially if you're a tourist!
Let's give them the same respect over here, shall we?

Cadaverous Pallor
08-05-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by odnamraortsac
Many would suggest peer pressure from the other guests on the boat but maybe some of us do not want to play "hero" then have the rude guest confront us as we exit the attraction. I am surprised at how many people said in this thread that they don't do anything about rude people. There is only one way that these people are going to stop being rude - if others take a stand. If no one ever challenges rude people they will get worse and worse. If they were simply corrected every time they did something inconsiderate, they would learn their lesson. Or, at the very least, they will be inconvenienced also, which is only fair.

Playing the hero? What is so bad about dealing with someone like this? Worst they can do is mouth off at you - big deal. What they are doing is wrong and it's much worse to let the guy get off without letting him know that he's hurting others.

Get a spine, people! :eek: Hush people when they're loud, ask them to turn of their video camera screens and lightchasers. It makes our world a better place.

Silrandil
08-05-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
I am surprised at how many people said in this thread that they don't do anything about rude people. There is only one way that these people are going to stop being rude - if others take a stand. If no one ever challenges rude people they will get worse and worse.

You've got that right!!!!!!!:)

mrfantasmic
08-05-2003, 12:40 PM
Another thing is it helps if you think: "What do I care if I tell them off... I'm never going to see them again!"

Allison
08-05-2003, 02:29 PM
You are so right Cadaverous!

I always politely call them on their rudeness. I am tactful and polite.

But sometimes it has lead to uncomfortable confrontations, with people that want to argue loudly, and refuse to see their own rude actions. I have to admit those things affect the fun on my trip. So I can understand why people wouldn't want to confront the situation. In the old days you could find a security CM always within eye sight, and you could easily report these things.
But that belongs to yesterland now.

tod
08-05-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by mrfantasmic
Another thing is it helps if you think: "What do I care if I tell them off... I'm never going to see them again!"

That "I'm never going to see them again" attitude is also what leads to jerky, inconsiderate behavior in the first place. It's kindness to strangers that compels us to be polite in public, and dismissal of strangers as people-who-don't-matter that leads to rudeness.

I have no problems with calling people on their rudeness, and asking them to knock it off. But I know I am being rude myself when I do it. Like the block-the-camera thing I spoke of above. Very rude, that.

--T

miss bianca
08-05-2003, 04:56 PM
Also remember people have been beat up or even killed (not at DL ;) ) over things even less important than having a ride on POC ruined.
I know this is a given BUT, Just be cautious on how you approach someone about "rude behavior" as not all people are sane!

šoš

sleepyjeff
08-07-2003, 08:54 PM
For video cameras there is always my way: Most cameras will pick up nearby conversations( or even mutterings) that the camerman can't even hear. NARARATE THE LOUSE'S FOOTAGE WITH YOUR OWN COMMENTARY. When he get's home and plays it for his friends and family.........well you get the picture.;)

tod
08-08-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by sleepyjeff
For video cameras there is always my way: Most cameras will pick up nearby conversations( or even mutterings) that the camerman can't even hear. NARARATE THE LOUSE'S FOOTAGE WITH YOUR OWN COMMENTARY. When he get's home and plays it for his friends and family.........well you get the picture.;)

I remember quite a few years ago when some jerk carried one of those BIG home video cameras onto Star Tours, back when a video camera was more an ostentatious way to flaunt your wealth than a way to record your vacation, and don't get me started on that.

So this bozo puts this suitcase on his right shoulder, and it just so happens that I wind up sitting next to him. On his right. Microphone facing front, and the camera sitting on his shoulder between us.

I recited every word on the track.

"And -- heh heh - it's mine too."

"Where are the brakes!??"

"I have a very bad feeling about this!!"

"Star Tours -- what are you doing here? This is a combat zone. It's restricted. Ease off on your main thrusters."

"We're goin' in. I always wanted to do this."

"... and I'm still getting used to my programming. Hey! Hey!!"

I felt just awful about this for years. Consider this my public atonement.

;)

--T
who would never, ever do such a thing now, seeing as people are so much more polite than they used to be back in the '80s...

danyoung
08-08-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by tod
I felt just awful about this for years. Consider this my public atonement.

Well, as long as we're atoning, this is as good a place as any to fall on my sword and take the heat for my unforgivable rudeness.

About 3 months ago, on a visit to SoCal, I had the great joy of visiting DL for an evening with my older brother and his 12 year old son. We planned on doing dinner at Rancho, then Believe and Fantasmic! Well, I maneuvered them into a prime viewing location in front of the castle, where a large crowd was standing. Shortly before the show started, people started sitting down. I've seen this before, but I just didn't want to sit, so I staged a protest and kept my group standing. Of course, things got ugly quickly, with incredibly rude yelling from behind (warrented, but still rude). If I'd been by myself I would have skulked off to the side, but I so didn't want to back down in front of my family. So we watched the show standing, and once the show started the yelling diminished. But I totally didn't enjoy the show, or the following Fantasmic!, as I was overwhelmed with guilt for being such a jerk. Having seen many many jerks over the years in Disney parks, it kind of surprised me that here I was being one.

So if you were at a springtime showing of Believe, and you couldn't see the show cuz a couple of beefy guys and a kid were blocking your view, I most sincerely and humbly apologise. I'll sit down next time, I promise.

briar_rose
08-08-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by danyoung
Well, as long as we're atoning, this is as good a place as any to fall on my sword and take the heat for my unforgivable rudeness.

About 3 months ago, on a visit to SoCal, I had the great joy of visiting DL for an evening with my older brother and his 12 year old son. We planned on doing dinner at Rancho, then Believe and Fantasmic! Well, I maneuvered them into a prime viewing location in front of the castle, where a large crowd was standing. Shortly before the show started, people started sitting down. I've seen this before, but I just didn't want to sit, so I staged a protest and kept my group standing. Of course, things got ugly quickly, with incredibly rude yelling from behind (warrented, but still rude). If I'd been by myself I would have skulked off to the side, but I so didn't want to back down in front of my family. So we watched the show standing, and once the show started the yelling diminished. But I totally didn't enjoy the show, or the following Fantasmic!, as I was overwhelmed with guilt for being such a jerk. Having seen many many jerks over the years in Disney parks, it kind of surprised me that here I was being one.

So if you were at a springtime showing of Believe, and you couldn't see the show cuz a couple of beefy guys and a kid were blocking your view, I most sincerely and humbly apologise. I'll sit down next time, I promise.
OMG!!!!!!!!! I remember you!!!!!! Don't worry though, I was next to like half the people yelling, they COULD see. It was so funny because someone yelled at them right after the show started "I guess they aren't in your way now that the music's on eh?!?!" SOOO funny :) anyways just thought I'd share and try to make u feel a bit better lol