PDA

View Full Version : Should I Say, "Goodbye", to Disneyland

Pages : [1] 2

Klutch
08-01-2003, 10:56 AM
With all the bad news coming out of Anaheim these days I find myself wondering if it is time I said, "Goodbye", to Disneyland.

I have been holding on to memories from Disneyland as a constant; a place that's always fun, happy, and ship shape. Alas, this is apparently no longer the case.

To say goodbye is difficult because I have already had to bid farewell to so much and so many in my life. The neighborhood where I grew up is now "Little Saigon", which I'm sure is a very nice community, but it's no longer the place I remember. I finished high school in a tiny, rural, Oklahoma town which is now all but abandoned. The K-6 school is boarded up. The house down the street where my best friend lived, and where my wife and I were married, has burned to the ground leaving only an empty lot. The house where I lived also burned down and has been replaced with a generic, bland structure. Without going into detail, allow me to say I have lost many people close to me.

But then there was Disneyland. When I lived in Virginia it was that smaller, and much more charming, park out West that most Easterners never bothered to visit. I savored memories of root beer floats at the Carnation Cafe, circling the shows in Carousel of Progress and America Sings, singing with the pirates and trying for days to stop singing , "It's a Small World After All...".

The more I hear about things at the resort, the more I think it's time to accept that all this too is now gone.

Or, maybe I should hold out hope for improvement. Perhaps I should focus on the Magic Kingdom which still has a great Tomorrowland. I'll think about it.

cstephens
08-01-2003, 11:05 AM
Seems to me you're the only person who can answer that question. Doesn't seem to me it matters what other people think - they're not you.

If you still enjoy going, then go. If you don't, then stop. It doesn't have to be forever. When you feel like going again, it'll be there, probably.

Disneyphile
08-01-2003, 11:22 AM
If only they would have made a "Yesterland" park in place of DCA - and whenever they retire rides from DL , they could just move 'em across the way. Looking at those pics in Al's update today made me just want to jump right into 'em and finally "come home". :crying:

SpaceMTJunkie
08-01-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Klutch
I have been holding on to memories from Disneyland as a constant; a place that's always fun, happy, and ship shape. Alas, this is apparently no longer the case.

As far as I see it, Disneyland is still fun, happy, and ship shape. All things are what you make of them. :cool:

hbquikcomjamesl
08-01-2003, 04:19 PM
Disneyland does have its problems, and DCA is certainly having a troubled childhood, but Disneyland at its Presslerian worst is still far better than what Knotts was like, the last time I was there, and it beats the <insert vulgarity of your choice> out of my one hot-and-boring trip to [pre-Six-Flags] Magic Mountain.

Loric
08-01-2003, 08:54 PM
Hmm..

How about instead of "Goodbye Disneyland," how about a simple "Hello, Epcot!"

Change venue for a lil while, see the "other" Disney original.

And maybe see how good things can be in a few years for Disneyland - a few years ago Epcot looked jsut as dismal with the buggy-opening of Test Track and the closure of Horizons.

Besides, if you get nostalgic, the Magic Kingdom is just a monorail ride away.

Morrigoon
08-01-2003, 11:22 PM
I recommend DLP myself, for a dose of good ol' Disney magic. (Just don't visit their "other park" either, from what I hear!)

DLP is stunningly beautiful.

'Nuff said.

Well, and the Alice hedge maze is pretty darn cool.

Ooh, so is the Sleeping Beauty stained glass and tapestry walkthrough.

And the AA dragon in the basement.

They have a Nautilus walk-through in TL, btw.

And their space mtn rocks (totally different from us or FL)

Those promenades behind the Main St. shops are pretty sweet too. Especially when Minnie's out in her jazz age best.

Oh, by the way, the whole park is stunningly beautiful.

merlinjones
08-01-2003, 11:27 PM
I would rather say:

"Goodbye, Mr, Eisner"

"Goodbye, Disney's California Adventure"

"Goodbye, Disney Strategic Corporate Planning"

"Goodbye, loser Disney executives of all levels"

Pink slips for all the above would be much better than ever having to say "Goodbye, Disneyland"

Klutch
08-02-2003, 11:03 AM
I admire your pragmatic attitude, merlinjones. I think I'll heed your lesson.

Thanks for the replies. I'm sorry for being so sappy. I just get bummed once in awhile. DLP does sound wonderful. I hope to make the journey someday.

Doodle Duck
08-02-2003, 12:07 PM
Having had my own few year personal boycott of the park (s), I can say it's not a bad thing. When I had had enough of being treated like and feeling like a 'money machine' rather than a guest and when I had had enough with the Pressler nonsense, I called it quits. Then the DAY AFTER Pressler took a powder, (THANK YOU!) I reloaded the wallet with an AP.
Going back to the parks with at least a ray or two of hope that the worst was over with Pressler gone, brought back a bit of magic to me. And THAT was well worth the time away from the place and sticking to my guns.

No new moves by Rasulo however is causing a re-concern. I only wish that Roy D. had the rocks to boot Eisner and either temp take over or bring in Jobs or Speilberg. But that's another decade.

I think though if you CAN visit the Florida parks, you'll get some enjoyment back untill DL gets back on track.

GeminiAngel
08-02-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Loric
Hmm..

How about instead of "Goodbye Disneyland," how about a simple "Hello, Epcot!"

Change venue for a lil while, see the "other" Disney original.

And maybe see how good things can be in a few years for Disneyland - a few years ago Epcot looked jsut as dismal with the buggy-opening of Test Track and the closure of Horizons.

Besides, if you get nostalgic, the Magic Kingdom is just a monorail ride away.

I cancelled my Feb 2004 DL trip. Too much wrong with the place right now, its depressing. Were going to WDW instead!!!! Woo HOO!!!! Monorail ride away? maybe not (that's if they close it).

Loric
08-02-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by GeminiAngel
I cancelled my Feb 2004 DL trip. Too much wrong with the place right now, its depressing. Were going to WDW instead!!!! Woo HOO!!!! Monorail ride away? maybe not (that's if they close it).

Nah, the WDW monorails are fully functional :)

rexfarms
08-02-2003, 05:58 PM
I've felt the same way as Klutch. I think I'll be okay thought, until they do something really dumb, like remove Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room. Then its ADIOS for Disney and I. :crying:

GeminiAngel
08-02-2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Loric
Nah, the WDW monorails are fully functional :)

oops i misunderstood, i thought the monorail reference was about DL.

wannabe-disneygeek
08-02-2003, 08:05 PM
I'm not really qualified to post on this, since I've never been to Disney and am just now preparing for what will be a first trip for me and both of my children... but I feel compelled to point out that "Disneyland" is both a physical place and a place within my heart where magic is still real, mice and pirates alike can carry on a conversation with you, and where you can still get your fill of child-like 'wonder' and not have to pretend you're too cool for that.

No one can take that away from me without my consent, and I choose to leave it right where it is = )

(Besides, how else can the knight on the white horse swoop me up and find me if I don't hang around?? He does come with the ticket, right?)

...--Alli

DisneylandBoy
08-03-2003, 12:10 PM
The way I see it is, if you are going to go and LOOK for the problems, yeah, you will see them. But if you go and just have fun, you won't notice the bad things. Also, even if you do find something wrong, like peeling paint, or a broken fence, or something, that doesn't mean it has to ruin your entire day, unless you let it.

So really, it's your choice. If you want to be a pessamest and stop trips to Disneyland, then be that way. It just keeps it less crowded for those of us who go to have fun, and just focus on the good things. ;)

P.S. I read MiceAge everyday and I love the updates, but I feel lately, Al has been a little unfair towards Disneyland. Sure things aren't great right now, but he is focusing on the smallest things and blowing them way out of proportion. So if your decision is based on what Al says, you might want to reconsider.

My 2 cents. :)

08-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Do whatever feels right to you, Klutch. Remember that whatever you decide isn't necessarily forever.

Best wishes,
-Helen

GeminiAngel
08-03-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by DisneylandBoy
The way I see it is, if you are going to go and LOOK for the problems, yeah, you will see them. But if you go and just have fun, you won't notice the bad things. Also, even if you do find something wrong, like peeling paint, or a broken fence, or something, that doesn't mean it has to ruin your entire day, unless you let it.

So really, it's your choice. If you want to be a pessamest and stop trips to Disneyland, then be that way. It just keeps it less crowded for those of us who go to have fun, and just focus on the good things. ;)

P.S. I read MiceAge everyday and I love the updates, but I feel lately, Al has been a little unfair towards Disneyland. Sure things aren't great right now, but he is focusing on the smallest things and blowing them way out of proportion. So if your decision is based on what Al says, you might want to reconsider.

My 2 cents. :)

How about the big things? space mt, the monorail, teasing us with the subs, superstar limo (big empty building just sitting there!)...etc. now, add those Big things on top of the little things. very depressing. and not worth my money, so Klutch, speak with your lack of dollars & a letter of why you are not going anymore. I did write a letter about cancelling my Feb 2004 trip, still waiting for a reply which will be a lame thank you for your concern blah, blah, blah letter. I did not mention the fact I am still patronizing the company by going to WDW.:D

teach
08-03-2003, 06:15 PM
I have to agree with DisneylandBoy, there is a choice here as to what experience we get out of a visit to DL. Go with a positive attitude, ready to have fun, chances are that's what you will get. Go with the attitude that things aren't the same as they used to be and it will be hard to feel satisfied.

I think it is human nature to look back on old memories and feel that things were much better back then. It is also human nature to resist change. But times change and circumstances changes. One must be able to accept changes and make what's best for themselves.

In the big picture, DLR is still a wonderful place to "escape" reality. It may not be perfect; with areas that require some attention, but it is still special place.

One must decide where one spends time for relaxation and entertainment. I will continue to choose DLR for my family as one of many destinations.

YellowMan
08-03-2003, 11:14 PM
teasing us with the subs Please! The only person who's to blame for "teasing us with the subs" is Mr. Al Lutz. Unless you heard an official source yourself from Disney tell you that the subs were returning, I highly doubt you can blame them for "teasing" you.

And while I agree that some of the other things you mentioned aren't very good, such as Space closing and a big empty Superstar Limo building, I do not think it is as terrible as some would want you to believe. Right now is the lowest I've seen the parks in a while, and in my opinion it isn't that bad.

But if anyone wants to say farewell to Disneyland, then do so. If people want to cancel their trips because they read on a very negative website that Disneyland is in a terrible, terrible, beyond repair state, then they should do so. It ain't no skin off my back and I'll be happy that the park isn't filled with quite as many "negative nellies".

teach
08-04-2003, 12:03 AM
But if anyone wants to say farewell to Disneyland, then do so. If people want to cancel their trips because they read on a very negative website that Disneyland is in a terrible, terrible, beyond repair state, then they should do so. It ain't no skin off my back and I'll be happy that the park isn't filled with quite as many "negative nellies".

Yellowman, thank you for saying what I was thinking too.

dasrock
08-04-2003, 12:25 AM
one less person in line :D

surffnutt3000
08-04-2003, 07:04 AM
Having had my own few year personal boycott of the park (s), I can say it's not a bad thing. When I had had enough of being treated like and feeling like a 'money machine' rather than a guest and when I had had enough with the Pressler nonsense, I called it quits. Then the DAY AFTER Pressler took a powder, (THANK YOU!) I reloaded the wallet with an AP.
Going back to the parks with at least a ray or two of hope that the worst was over with Pressler gone, brought back a bit of magic to me. And THAT was well worth the time away from the place and sticking to my guns.

No new moves by Rasulo however is causing a re-concern. I only wish that Roy D. had the rocks to boot Eisner and either temp take over or bring in Jobs or Speilberg. But that's another decade.

I think though if you CAN visit the Florida parks, you'll get some enjoyment back untill DL gets back on track.

DoodleDuck(A.E), I think your comments are right on the money. I too am amazed that the new guy in town has yet to announce anything publicly. We should also note that absolutely NOTHING new has been announced officially regarding plans for the 50th.

I remember the time when DL had something new EVERY year - a new attraction, a new parade or a new show/fireworks. Compare that to today when many Disneyland "fans" are satisfied, if not thrilled, by a little new paint or a much needed/delayed restoration of an older attraction.

DisneylandBoy
08-04-2003, 08:37 AM
How about the big things? space mt, the monorail, teasing us with the subs . . .

Space Mountain is closed until 2005 because they are making it better! They have to close it to update it - why are you complaning?

As far as the monorails - only thing we have heard is from Al Lutz, who hasn't been so reliable lately (subs anyone?)

I'm not saying there is nothing wrong - I'm just saying you can choose to focus on either the good things or the bad things.

DBJ
08-04-2003, 09:31 AM
If you say goodbye to Disneyland, say hello to DisneyWorld.

DisneyWorld is an amazing experience and truly immersive. If you stay at one of the resorts, and bounce between the various parks, you will be blown away at the amount of things to do and see. It would be better to save your money on a trip to Disneyland and instead head to WDW. Best vacation I've ever experienced.