PDA

View Full Version : Disney Makes Profit

Lost Boy
08-01-2003, 08:00 AM
I see in today's businees section of the Daily News, that Disney has exceeded expectations for the thrid quarter thanks to good movie and TV revinue, but the Parks continue to suffer and turn in poor revenue. Even though WDW attendance is up by 8% and Disneyland is up by 3%, they still aren't performing up to excpectations. Gee, I wonder why! What with nothing new at Disneyland going on, Cheap X-Games carnival atmosphere with load heavy metal music blaring through the main plaza, I wonder why more older folks and families aren't beating the gates down to pay $48 (or have they raised the entrance fee again, I have lost track) to get in the the mess that is DCA. Disneyland seems to be doing very well, despite all the closures of attactions, and not much to do in Tomorrowland. The West side is up and running nicely now, so I guess that's where the crowds are. Fantasyland, Toontown and Adventureland also seem to be doing well, but poor old Tomorrowland just sort of sits there. Some future.

Doodle Duck
08-01-2003, 08:06 AM
All Headlines should read "Pixar Makes Profit, Diz In On Coattails."

DL4EVER
08-01-2003, 12:41 PM
But my good friend, you're forgetting one thing.........Pirates of the Carribean: The Curse of the Black Pearl.......yeah, finding nemo is responsible for an aweful lot of money heading Disney's way, but still.....

TecTalker2K
08-01-2003, 03:14 PM
I am just thankful my stock is worth more now than when I origially purchaseed it.

Morrigoon
08-01-2003, 11:27 PM
The way companies (especially Eisner) are cutting costs in order to show profits these days, you'd be wiser to check overall revenues and compare them to past performance.

Deferrment of maintenance is one way to guarantee that expenses do not exceed revenue for a particular quarter, allowing you to show a profit.... but the maintenance still needs to be done! (and could get more expensive if it's not attended to)

MonorailMan
08-01-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
(and could get more expensive if it's not attended to)

Real word example: Monorails :D :rolleyes:

tabacco
08-01-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Lost Boy
I see in today's businees section of the Daily News, that Disney has exceeded expectations...

Maybe expectations are just down ;)