PDA

View Full Version : "...park reeks of corporate spreadsheets."

Disney Tom
08-27-2001, 08:27 AM
David Friedman, a columnist at the Los Angeles Times, has some great insight on California Adventure from a recent visit he and his teen son made to the park.

Here's the link:

http://www.downtownnews.com/display/inn_news/News_Articles/news8.txt

My favorite quote, "...park reeks of corporate spreadsheets." How accurate and true. Also, wasn't this the type of guest that was Disney was targeting in the design of this park? The sophisticated Los Angelesite!!!

Boy, DCA has some major problems that will take more than pixie dust to fix. Tink needs to put in some overtime to create enough magic dust to make this park a success.

Tokyo Disney Sea, here I come. Also, what does everyone think about this. There have been comments that say it's not economically viable for Disney to create a Tokyo Disney Sea park in the U.S. because our spending patterns are not like the Japanese. First of all, I think EPCOT, when it opened, was as quality oriented and as expensive as Tokyo Disney Sea. And let's face it, all those merchandise shops and fine dining establishments in World Showcase are being supported by someone...the American theme park going public (and of course foreign visitors).

Come on Disney, build us some quality for a change. Concede that you've learned your lesson.

Haldwitten
08-27-2001, 08:41 PM
Every watched the artists in New Orleans Square spin out a portrait in no time? To anyone watching, they are doing it effortlessly... and it looks so simple... yet anyone who has picked up a pencil to sketch learns quickly that artistic talent is developed - even in those born with a "gift."

Fast Forward to California Adventure. The park "reeks of spreadsheets" because those who have made their living "counting beans" felt it was effortless to create a magical theme park. Oh, how wrong they were. The new Tokyo park is an example of what happens when you leave the art to the artists.

In Disney history... it was Walt who directed the artistic directions, and Roy worked with the financial aspects. They knew their strengths and worked within them. DCA is what happens when you let accountants play artist. Leave it to the professionals, boys... and no marketing department can ever replace "gut instinct."

<sigh> I'm going to have a mint julip in New Orleans Square and enjoy a real park.

Morrigoon
08-27-2001, 08:57 PM
Disneyland remains one of the most powerful symbols of America's post-war boldness and creativity....Absolutely none of that heritage is on display in Disney's California Adventure

How eloquent.