PDA

View Full Version : Changes to French Market Menu

Pages : [1] 2

stan4d_steph
09-20-2012, 11:25 AM
The French Market menu changed last week, shifting away from large entrees to a wider selection of soups, salads, and sandwiches. The French Dip sandwich has a permanent place on the menu, but the vegetarian entree has disappeared along with the salmon. Vegetarians are now limited to a salad; the corn chowder also appears to be vegetarian.

You can view the new menu and prices on our guide page (http://www.mouseplanet.com/guide/736/Disneyland-Resort/Disneyland-Park/New-Orleans-Square/French-Market-Restaurant). What do you think of the changes? Has anyone tried the new menu items?

fairestoneofall
09-20-2012, 11:52 AM
Not yet, but I might have to try it soon.

AnotherJenny
09-20-2012, 11:54 AM
I had the shrimp special item there during the AP 20th anniversary Fantasmic event, and it was terrible, so I guess it's good that it didn't make the cut. The woman behind me in line got the salad with yams, which was also a special item. The CM took the plated salad out of the fridge. It looked sad and limp and I was glad I didn't try it. I hope that's not how they're serving it now that it's on the menu. Honestly, I've never really liked French Market all that much. My go to place in New Orleans Square was always Cafe Orleans before it switched to table service. Now, I go to another area of the park...

Drince88
09-20-2012, 12:02 PM
What's a lobster roll, that the Shrimp Salad Poor Boy is served on?

Jambalaya served OVER rice? It's supposed to be made WITH rice, we're not talking Gumbo here! (Gumbo is served over rice, or if you're from some parts, potato salad)

ETA: removed the parts that were related to Cafe Orleans -- oops!

AnotherJenny
09-20-2012, 12:15 PM
What's a lobster roll, that the Shrimp Salad Poor Boy is served on?

If I had to guess, it's a split top roll. To me, "lobster roll" means a split top roll with lobster. Hell, slice a french roll in half and put some lobster in it, still a lobster roll. I think by using the word "lobster" in the description when there is very likely no lobster in the sandwich is pretty confusing. I don't think I was going to order it either way, though ;)

cstephens
09-20-2012, 12:16 PM
Glad to see the jambalaya is still on there. I might have to try the meatloaf too. And since they've added the french dip, the husband might be willing to try French Market again. He hasn't been very pleased with their menu of late.

Drince88
09-20-2012, 12:30 PM
If I had to guess, it's a split top roll. To me, "lobster roll" means a split top roll with lobster. Hell, slice a french roll in half and put some lobster in it, still a lobster roll. I think by using the word "lobster" in the description when there is very likely no lobster in the sandwich is pretty confusing. I don't think I was going to order it either way, though ;)

You mean the hot dog bun split on the top instead of the side that they serve the mayo and a little bit of lobster stuff on? (Sorry, just don't 'get' these). Then why are EITHER of these sandwiches called Po' Boys????

fairestoneofall
09-20-2012, 12:45 PM
Jambalaya served OVER rice? It's supposed to be made WITH rice, we're not talking Gumbo here! (Gumbo is served over rice, or if you're from some parts, potato salad)

Maybe because of other things on the menu that come "with rice" so that they only have to prepare one rice dish. I personally would try it without the rice since I follow South Beach, although I do agree that it should be made with rice.

olegc
09-20-2012, 02:24 PM
another "salad, sandwich, soup" menu. You can just start calling the Westside of the park Subway for $$$. First Riverbelle, then similar salads to Harbor Galley, and now French Market. what's wrong - don't want to have to employ chefs that actually cook? or is this whole centralized kitchen thing gone on steroids? I thought once the new Kitchen was done near BB that we'd go BACK to having entrees and good things (and I thought this was intimated by Disney staff). Well, I guess now if I really want an entree I have to pay $$ or make an early reservation at C.O or BB... Starting to look more like WDW every day as far as food goes.

BTW - lobster roll is correctly stated above - a lobster salad of sorts (lobster meat, green onions, etc. - various recipes) with mayo or some other sauce and stuffed into a soft roll. Usually across the top. I have not seen it in NOLA really - but mainly in the Northeast (Mass, NH, Maine). Po'Boys better be a meat or fried shelfish or catfish on a roll with mayo. You can get them dressed (lettuce, tomato, hot sauce or ketchup) or not. Of course - that's in NOLA - so Cali pallets may be different. I guess this way they can justify the NOLA connection by naming them Po' Boys (though the french dip originated here in LA).

and on the jambalaya - Drince88 is right - and my guess is they have the stew portion and the rice separate in order to prevent the dish from drying out and being a sticky mess. though then it's just stew over dirty rice (isn't that Etouffee and not jambalaya?)

Blacksheep Uncle
09-20-2012, 02:46 PM
looks like an improvement to me... :~D

after they changed the menu last time, when they got rid of the beef stew and the other classics, we tried it a couple times and I was very disappointed and haven't been back there for years...and it had been one of my favorite "go-to" places for group meals, hopefully it will be again...

cstephens
09-20-2012, 04:27 PM
another "salad, sandwich, soup" menu. You can just start calling the Westside of the park Subway for $$$.

Weird, cause I see 4 entrees on the menu list. And while the French dip is a sandwich, the meat does require cooking. If it's the version that they served on the special menu there for Leap Day, that would be terrific cause that sandwich looked amazing. By that point, we weren't hungry for food, so we didn't try it and just got dessert instead.

olegc
09-20-2012, 05:14 PM
Weird, cause I see 4 entrees on the menu list. And while the French dip is a sandwich, the meat does require cooking. If it's the version that they served on the special menu there for Leap Day, that would be terrific cause that sandwich looked amazing. By that point, we weren't hungry for food, so we didn't try it and just got dessert instead.

you're right - there are. but I guess I was focusing on the shift away from entrees as the OP mentioned. I guess when you look some of the entrees stayed and they have more sandwiches (and they have the Muffaleta for October as well). I will have to look and see. Are the entrees offered each day or do they sometimes rotate (i sometimes only see one or two sample plates out).

ChurroGirl
09-20-2012, 10:19 PM
I am always excited to see new items on menus but I am sad this time. I actually enjoyed the Four Cheese Pasta and the Clam Chowder. What a bummer to see those go.

disneyobsessed
09-21-2012, 06:35 AM
I am always excited to see new items on menus but I am sad this time. I actually enjoyed the Four Cheese Pasta and the Clam Chowder. What a bummer to see those go.

I was at first sorry to see the clam chowder go, but after a moment of thought realized I rarely order it there. The more I think about it, the better the removal of clam chowder seems since redundancy on the menus is something often complained about as well. We can get clam chowder at the Royal Street Veranda and the Harbor Galley as well as the Pacific Wharf in DCA.

The removal of the four cheese pasta does seem like a bummer. Just because a person is vegetarian doesn't mean they want to eat salad or soup all the time, and it also doesn't mean they only eat healthy. Plus, non-vegetarians like me still like to order meatless entrees occasionally.

ChurroGirl
09-21-2012, 07:17 AM
disneyobsessed, that is a way I did not look at the Chowder. We eat at the French Market no less than twice a trip and we ate ALOT of chowder. With it at other places I wont be terribly upset.

That pasta dish though was a good one! I loved the mushrooms.

shna
09-21-2012, 10:02 AM
I'm going to miss the salmon. I had it a couple of times & it was yummy.

disneyobsessed
09-21-2012, 12:12 PM
I would like to know please if the cornbread is gone. My kids and I enjoyed that.

Mom2
09-22-2012, 01:50 AM
If the cornbread is gone, I was told that the cornbread is the same that is served at Big Thunder Ranch. But you have to order the all you can eat BBQ to get it. I tried to buy just cornbread there once and that is when they told me that French Market had it.

disneyobsessed
09-22-2012, 06:35 AM
If the cornbread is gone, I was told that the cornbread is the same that is served at Big Thunder Ranch. But you have to order the all you can eat BBQ to get it. I tried to buy just cornbread there once and that is when they told me that French Market had it.

Yeah I thought they were the same. The BBQ though just doesn't seem a good value to my bean-and-slaw-hating family.

AZImmortal
09-22-2012, 12:34 PM
Yeah I thought they were the same. The BBQ though just doesn't seem a good value to my bean-and-slaw-hating family.

The so-called BBQ is entirely subpar as far as I'm concerned. The meat is all baked and not smoked. I miss the old Big Thunder BBQ food. The smoked beef ribs were delicious.

lilfaeriebrat
09-24-2012, 07:43 AM
So glad to see the French dip back on the regular menu. I was bummed when they took it off the menu years ago and hadn'te eat at the French market but one time since. Now I'll be back at the French market more regularly again.

chahn
09-24-2012, 11:40 AM
The salad with the yams ("N'awlins Salad") was made fresh (not pre-plated) for me yesterday as was the chicken caesar my husband ordered. They offer a jalapeno cheddar cornbread muffin or a potato roll. The cornbread muffin was good but I can't remember the old cornbread well enough to say if it was the same recipe.

disneyobsessed
09-24-2012, 01:46 PM
So glad to see the French dip back on the regular menu. I was bummed when they took it off the menu years ago and hadn'te eat at the French market but one time since. Now I'll be back at the French market more regularly again.

I am actually interested in trying this too since I enjoy a good French dip. Hopefully this satisfies.

The salad with the yams ("N'awlins Salad") was made fresh (not pre-plated) for me yesterday as was the chicken caesar my husband ordered. They offer a jalapeno cheddar cornbread muffin or a potato roll. The cornbread muffin was good but I can't remember the old cornbread well enough to say if it was the same recipe.

The previous cornbread was very sweet, shaped like a mini-loaf, and did not have jalapenos. DS11 who strongly dislikes jalapenos will be disappointed. DS12 who loves jalapenos will probably want to try these though. Thanks for posting about the bread choices.

chahn
09-24-2012, 02:21 PM
The shape was the only part I did recall about the old cornbread. :) The muffin was pretty sweet and I didn't really notice much flavor from the jalapenos but they do call it such and there was one size able chunk I saw but didn't eat. I don't really like them either.

bombardon3
10-07-2012, 02:21 PM
The so-called BBQ is entirely subpar as far as I'm concerned. The meat is all baked and not smoked. I miss the old Big Thunder BBQ food. The smoked beef ribs were delicious.

Sadly guest complaints largely killed that. Since smoking leaves the meat looking pink we got at least half a dozen complaints a night. They even put up a sign explaining the smoking process, but it didn't help.