PDA

View Full Version : Could Captain Hook be a fun face character like Cruella de Vil?

jcruise86
09-17-2012, 11:17 AM
My daughter and I encountered the mute, masked Captain Hook in Disneyland's Big Thunder Ranch today, and he seemed unnaturally quiet. I don't want many of Disney's animal characters to talk, but Captain Hook could be as much fun to play as a talker as Cruella. Imagine gifted CMs (and L.A. has many gifted actors) trying to outdo Dustin Hoffman or Jason Isaac's portrayals.

P.S. Hook currently sports one of my favorite masks, so congrats to its creator!

oregontraveler
09-17-2012, 12:45 PM
If Captain Hook became a 'face', you would have to add Smee on as a sidekick 'face' as well. I could see them doing some good comedy bits with the guests.

houseofmouse
09-17-2012, 06:41 PM
I would love to see this. Might be hard to do a really good voice though. I swear I have seen a face Smee before a long time ago but not positive.

Ah ha, I have, google Captain Hook face character at Disneyland. But..it's Disneyland Paris. :p Must have been what I saw. Smee looks weird!!:|

jcruise86
09-18-2012, 01:09 PM
If Captain Hook became a 'face', you would have to add Smee on as a sidekick 'face' as well. . .
No you wouldn't.

I think it would be annoying for almost any actor to try and maintain Smee's unusual voice all day.

Of the seven most recent Batman films, the two worst were the ones with Robin. (I'm not counting the last one where a police officer was about to become Robin.) If Cruella can roam around Disneyland alone, so can Captian Hook. I imagine him constantly trying recruit bad kids who could become good pirates, heckling bands that lack accordions, and occasionally popping into the most desolate part of the cave in POTC holding a lantern and yelling at the boats.

DwarfPlanet
09-18-2012, 01:44 PM
I wonder who would win most popular, Capt. Hook as a face or Capt. Jack Sparrow?

candles71
09-18-2012, 02:20 PM
We already have a Captain Jack Sparrow. I was amused at the young lady(13ish) who really thought he was Johnny Depp, and her 2 friends kept trying to tell her it wasn't. :p

jcruise86
09-18-2012, 02:20 PM
I wonder who would win most popular, Capt. Hook as a face or Capt. Jack Sparrow?

It might vary from day to day. If Hook were an unmasked face character with a voice, we could enjoy a dramatic battle of wits
(insults galore!) between Captain Hook and Jack Sparrow.

And how fun would it be
to run into a loud Captian Hook in one of the Pirate-themed caves on Tom Sawyer's Islands,
or have Tink chase him out of her meet and greet area after he tempts her trying to get her to reveal where Pan is?

Riding with him on the train from Main St. to New Orleans Square could be more fun (for those sitting near him at least)
than encountering the train robbers on the train at Knott's. (Love Knotts!)

Picture Hook appearing in the Dream Suite balcony and imploring everyone below to be quiet so he can nap,
then coming down the stairs to confront any non-scary looking guests who dare yell back,
and then saying he likes their spirit & asking if they would the like to become pirates.

Or imagine him (rarely, but memorably) popping into the most desolate part of the cave in POTC holding a lantern
and yelling at guests on boats. There's a place to the port side of guests' boats when entering the main POTC ride building that is (or used to be) a nice nook employees could easily enter and have plenty of standing room. A face character could do this more easily than a masked one. There is (or was) also space there where an assistant character guide could (in a black cloak) be mostly unseen by guests.

If Hook were verbally confronting Peter Pan or if they were having a sword vs. knife fight, would you really root for Pan?

Maybe about eight kids decked out as pirates ($$$!, followed by their parents) could, on special unannounced special occasions, tag along with Hook for his "spontaneous" mischievous misadventures. They could celebrate being bad!

--Tom Sinsky

jcruise86
09-19-2012, 11:06 AM
Today (September 19) is "Talk Like a Pirate Day."
Perhaps Disney could just walk around Orange County listening for potential Captain Hooks.

MadasaHatter
09-21-2012, 07:34 AM
I think a face HOOK would be very cool!

ChurroGirl
09-21-2012, 08:25 AM
The idea of Hook taking a nap and interacting with the POTC guests would be fun!

To have a Pirates Life for Me with the kids would be fun. Find a way to do Jedi Training but have it be as Pirates! What a hoot.

Drince88
09-21-2012, 09:17 AM
The idea of Hook taking a nap and interacting with the POTC guests would be fun!

To have a Pirates Life for Me with the kids would be fun. Find a way to do Jedi Training but have it be as Pirates! What a hoot.

Captain Jack did Pirate training in WDW for quite a while (he didn't get accosted like at DL, I guess) It was much like the Jedi Training. (Not sure if they're still doing that or not)