PDA

View Full Version : Marceline's lost their Disney Magic

kodakdog
09-15-2012, 12:51 PM
This is my first negative review or comment about anything Disneyland.
Over the past ten years my wife and I purchased dozens of caramel apples at Marceline's.  This past week, we stopped by the store and noticed the bakers were dipping dark chocolate apples.  We noticed that they did not have any dark chocolate caramel apples with nuts in the display cases.  So we asked if they could dip us one.  In the past, they had done this for us without any problems.  Last week they said they could do it for us, as in the past, but said they would have to charge us $14.00!  Understand, the apple is usually $5.50.  It appears Mrceline's has lost their Disney magic. Oh well, hopefully it doesn't catch on.

houseofmouse
09-15-2012, 03:34 PM
I don't know how much nut dipped apples are but the Disney ones are 9.00. I would have asked to talk to a manager for sure that is ridiculous because who is going to pocket the extra money?? That's what I would be thinking anyway.

tea4two
09-16-2012, 01:22 AM
We stopped by Marceline's tonight to ask about this apple. It is a "gourmet chocolate nut" apple, so it costs more than the regular apples. I don't know who said that the apples were $5.50, but they are all more expensive than that. The regular apples are around $10 (incl. tax). The gourmet apple is $12.99 + tax, so $14.00 total sounds right. These apples are in the case behind the registers. The price is clearly marked as higher than the other apples.

carolinakid
09-16-2012, 05:44 AM
$14 for a "gourmet" apple sounds about right. I wouldn't pay it, but the price doesn't shock me.

disneyobsessed
09-16-2012, 07:26 AM
I haven't seen a $5.50 apple at Disneyland for years.

missm
09-16-2012, 10:42 AM
I haven't seen a $5.50 apple at Disneyland for years.

I could have sworn we paid either $4.95 or $5.50 for one last March. We always just get the plain ones thought. I know the special ones were about double what we were paying for the plain one.

Malcon10t
09-16-2012, 12:34 PM
In Aug 2011, the regular dressed up ones were $9.95. The very plain ones were $7.95. The Belle/Princess and other "fancy" ones were $14.95. (A friend has pics on her site.)

missm
09-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Dang I can't believe we paid 8 bucks for caramel apples! Obviously we should pay more attention, lol.

tea4two
09-16-2012, 01:30 PM
An AP discount takes some of the sting out of the price, but these still aren't cheap treats. And Marceline's still has magic, it's just more expensive than it used to be.

gibson510
09-16-2012, 09:22 PM
I tend to charge everything to my credit card and enjoy the perfectly sweet caramel apple now, and then scream my head off about how I could possibly have spent 14.00 dollars on an apple when i get home from the trip lol :p

wabby1
09-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Those apples are delicious, but expensive....and they would throw me into a diabetic coma! I only wish they sold them by the BITE!

MadasaHatter
09-18-2012, 08:54 AM
I think 7.95 for the plain ones is CRAZY high price....the decorative ones actually look like they would cost that much with all the labor and materials. While they look AMAZING all lined up in a row I really have no desire for one. And so messy. It's all perceived value I guess...I can never buy a churro in DLR because I grew up in the midwest where donuts were king and they were cheap. Now I live in SF where churros are just a couple of bucks.....So I feel your pain on the apple THANG! I am mad.

ImDMous
09-18-2012, 10:27 AM
I think 7.95 for the plain ones is CRAZY high price....the decorative ones actually look like they would cost that much with all the labor and materials. While they look AMAZING all lined up in a row I really have no desire for one. And so messy. It's all perceived value I guess...I can never buy a churro in DLR because I grew up in the midwest where donuts were king and they were cheap. Now I live in SF where churros are just a couple of bucks.....So I feel your pain on the apple THANG! I am mad.

I agree, I just like to look at them. Too messy for me. I really liked when the Farmer's Market place in DCA had the sliced green apples in a bowl with caramel sauce melted over them. They were so delicious and soooo much easier to eat! I'm sure they were a fortune too, but they gave me my apple fix without getting all sticky.

Shortpix77
09-18-2012, 10:37 AM
I agree, I just like to look at them. Too messy for me. I really liked when the Farmer's Market place in DCA had the sliced green apples in a bowl with caramel sauce melted over them. They were so delicious and soooo much easier to eat! I'm sure they were a fortune too, but they gave me my apple fix without getting all sticky.

If they aren't busy, they'll take your apple to the back and cut it up in half or in quarters for you -- I've had the candy store on Main Street and Marcelline's both do this for me. They've said no once when there was a giant line, which is understandable.

It's still sticky cut up, but much more manageable!

cstephens
09-18-2012, 10:44 AM
I really liked when the Farmer's Market place in DCA had the sliced green apples in a bowl with caramel sauce melted over them. They were so delicious and soooo much easier to eat! I'm sure they were a fortune too, but they gave me my apple fix without getting all sticky.

I *think* the Cone Shop on Main Street in Disneyland might have those. At least I know I've gotten it there in the past, but not lately, so I don't know if they still have them. But you're right, it was yummy.