PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Mickey - the novel

Andrew
09-09-2012, 06:30 PM
I just finished this book: HIDDEN MICKEY: Sometimes Dead Men Do Tell Tales ( http://www.amazon.com/dp/0974902624/ ). It's a mystery/caper novel that takes place mostly inside the park and in other locations associated with Walt Disney. Pretty clearly the authors did a lot of research about the parks, because the details (as of the publication date) are remarkably accurate - and trust me, I was ready to nit-pick.

If you can get past the first-novel awkward phrasing and overuse of exposition, it's a fun read. MouseAdventure plays a prominent role in setting up the story - yes, that MouseAdventure - and it's a little weird for me personally to see a minor character based on me in the book (the MA emcee).

This is the first in a series of, I believe, three. I have the second one and will start it soon. Meanwhile, if you're reading this post, I recommend the first book to you.

quackinup
09-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Are you getting ready to try jumping out of the boat?
I didn't think that would really give anything away but thought I'd hide it anyway :fez:

Niwel
09-09-2012, 07:03 PM
Totally with you Andrew... was very excited with the MA nod :)

Drince88
09-09-2012, 07:14 PM
So are the authors MA veterans?

ImDMous
09-10-2012, 06:43 AM
I got all of these at the last D23 Expo, the authors had a booth. There are 5 of them total, but the two authors from the first book split and each write the later ones separately. It's interesting reading the solo written ones after the first two and seeing which writing characteristics came from which author. I enjoyed them all, but definitely had my favorites.

chahn
09-10-2012, 07:59 AM
Oooh, I didn't know there were more than 2. They were fun reads and I find my self smiling a certain parts of certain rides remembering parts of the story. :) I'll have to go track down the other 3.

yellowrosedtxn
09-10-2012, 08:44 AM
I have them all, I just need to make time to read them all. I love the Kingdom Keeper books as well.

ImDMous
09-11-2012, 06:29 AM
I have them all, I just need to make time to read them all. I love the Kingdom Keeper books as well.

They aren't quite as daunting as they look, pretty quick reads at least for me. I think I went through all 5 of them in two weeks. The first couple I couldn't put down once I started so I just blew through them.

I like the Kingdom Keepers as well, they're just fun. I just finished the last one in time for our Disney Cruise next week. Now I'm scared Maleficent is going to be down in the depths of the kitchen on our ship. :)

TTFN92
09-11-2012, 08:03 AM
I wonder if the library has these. I'm not one that likes to buy books because they are so expensive but I would like to read these. I need something fun. It seems like everything I'm watching or listening to lately is political and serious so it would be good to have a little fantasy back in my life. thanks for posting about these.

candles71
09-11-2012, 08:12 AM
TTFN, a lot of librarys are online now. I can search our libraries' computer system and request it be delivered to my local branch to be picked up.

jrsharp21
09-11-2012, 09:11 AM
These sound great! My daughter is a huge fan of the Kingdom Keepers series and of course I love reading anything taking place in Disneyland or WDW. I am definitely going to pick these up for her and I to read.

jrsharp21
09-11-2012, 09:24 AM
it looks like besides Hidden Mickey 1 through 5, they also have a handful of Hidden Mickey Adventures books.

dlfansx4
09-11-2012, 03:58 PM
I have read all 5 of them and my DD is on book 3, I think. She is having a hard time with 3 though.

I had no idea it included MA until I started reading and couldn't believe what I was seeing. I was reading it right about the time I participated in my first MA!

jrsharp21
09-11-2012, 07:03 PM
It looks like the new Hidden Mickey Adventures just came out this year, and one just this month.

Hidden Mickey Adventures: In Disneyland (May 15, 2012)
Hidden Mickey Adventures: In WDW Magic Kingdom (June 15, 2012)
Hidden Mickey Adventures 1: Peter and the Wolf (September 1, 2012)

dlfansx4
09-12-2012, 11:07 AM
It looks like the new Hidden Mickey Adventures just came out this year, and one just this month.

Hidden Mickey Adventures: In Disneyland (May 15, 2012)
Hidden Mickey Adventures: In WDW Magic Kingdom (June 15, 2012)
Hidden Mickey Adventures 1: Peter and the Wolf (September 1, 2012)

Thanks for posting this. I hadn't heard about these books. I might have to get the one for Disneyland for my kids to try. And it looks like that latest one is a continuation of the Hidden Mickey series, only the best generation??? Cool!

Seashellmama
09-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Thanks for this thread, Andrew! I read it while sitting on Amtrak's Coast Starlight needing something to read- we were at the station in Portland, OR, and I was able to connect my Kindle to the train next us (the Cascades has onboard wifi) and buy the $2.99 eBook version and start reading it on the train. I love the future.

Kuzcofan
09-12-2012, 05:05 PM
Me and my wife have the Hidden Mickey Adventures in Disneyland. it is a very fun scavenger hunt book, we take it to Disneyland it is fun to walk around and try to find everything. . We are waiting for one for DCA now.

jrsharp21
10-22-2012, 10:06 AM
Just finished book #2. I must say the concept or story behind the book is really cool and something I never saw coming. Starting to read #3 right now but it just doesn't have the same feel so far as the first two books.

I ordered all three books from Amazon not knowing what stores I purchased them from. To my surprise one was direct from the author and it was autographed. Then there was another one that had both of their autographs in it.

Toocherie
10-22-2012, 02:40 PM
I bought the first two books at D23 and not sure where I bought the third. The first book was great; the second, so-so. By the time I got to the third I was bored--didn't finish it and didn't move on to the rest of the series. I think part of the issue was I liked the characters set up in the first book --- do they ever come back in the same way in later books?

jrsharp21
10-22-2012, 04:00 PM
I bought the first two books at D23 and not sure where I bought the third. The first book was great; the second, so-so. By the time I got to the third I was bored--didn't finish it and didn't move on to the rest of the series. I think part of the issue was I liked the characters set up in the first book --- do they ever come back in the same way in later books?

I agree. The character set up wasn't as good in the third book. Plus I didn't like how they completely left out the main characters from the first two books. Not sure a whole book about Wolf was a great idea.