PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Causes Cancer and Birth defects [Prop 65 warnings]

Pages : [1] 2

sjhanksaz
09-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Just thought everyone should know.

I think some of these laws have gone too far.

houseofmouse
09-08-2012, 04:34 PM
I have read an article similar to that in the past. Something to do with the lead in the crystal windows and such. So silly.

Blacksheep Uncle
09-08-2012, 05:31 PM
those Prop 65 warnings are so impossibly broad that they are basically meaningless...you can't go anywhere without seeing them...kind of like the "state that cried wolf"

ChipmunkStar
09-08-2012, 05:56 PM
I'm pretty sure you can find those signs posted in most parking garages as well.

adriennek
09-08-2012, 06:19 PM
There's a company whose product I like very much. A piece of metal used in one of their products could cause cancer - if you ate it. In massive quantities.

Now. If they spent the money testing EVERY SINGLE OTHER PRODUCT they sell, to prove that NONE of those products would cause cancer (if you ate it in massive quantity,) they would NOT have to label their products.

But it's less expensive to just label their products than prove they don't need to.

Yeah, I feel much safer.

Berit76
09-08-2012, 07:39 PM
People are still smoking cigarettes, paying for cancer...:eyeroll:

candles71
09-08-2012, 07:56 PM
Eh, those signs have been around so long I hardly ever notice them anymore.

Mom2
09-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Agreed, these warnings are everywhere. Everything from makeup to Coca Cola has been affected by these warnings, and it is true; mass quantities of the product ingredient would have to be digested. Up until recently, products that cause cancer were found even in baby shampoos and luckily some changes are being made there. Just curious, where was this photo found on the internet? I am sure Disney will not find this photo funny.

currence
09-08-2012, 11:47 PM

This is because we live in the land of the stupid warnings. Unfortunately not all Disney visitors are from California or nearby states and may actually be concerned when they see signs that tell them they may get cancer or birth defects. I imagine that if I was a tourist in a foreign country, I would be concerned by similar signs.

That said, I do sometimes enjoy playing "guess the chemical/metal which caused the need for the sign." Parking structures are easy, car fumes are bad. Other places can be more of a challenge.

quackinup
09-09-2012, 04:20 AM
Just curious, where was this photo found on the internet? I am sure Disney will not find this photo funny.

Probably from this site: http://mckaylaisnotimpressed.tumblr.com/ (it's down quite a ways)

sjhanksaz
09-09-2012, 09:40 AM
There are things in Toothpaste that cause cancer.

I guess we should not brush with it anymore.

zombie pirate
09-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Just the smog alone in LA is bad enouf. We have the same warnings in our condo complex.

Sleeping Beauty's mom
09-09-2012, 04:21 PM

quite true, they are posted where I work (hospital). I really don't give them a second thought anymore.

sjhanksaz
09-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Maybe living in California causes cancer.

I don't see these signs in many other states so they must be safe:cool:

Teddi
09-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Maybe California and the way it's run IS a cancer? Hmmm.

I too give those signs no warning. I even have seen them in my dentist's office and at my hospital.

Though, I had never thought about it- coming from another state/country I might be very perturbed!

TTFN92
09-09-2012, 08:37 PM
We don't have them in AZ. I remember seeing it on one of our DL receipts and being caught off guard a little. When I read what we had bought that might kill us I figured out it was a stupid law thing because nothing we bought was going to hurt us. I'm so sick of the nanny state each if us live in for different reasons.

hefferdude
09-09-2012, 10:09 PM
A moment. The prop 65 warning signs appear to marginalize the concern for true awarness of cancers that are far more prevalent
than the legislative authors may have intended ( law of unintended consequences et al - oh duh.... ). The APCA frightens me so very much more.

tea4two
09-09-2012, 10:28 PM
... Though, I had never thought about it- coming from another state/country I might be very perturbed!

Our friends from Europe and Asia think California's vigilent concern with carcinogens is amusing. They thought, and probably still do think, that we are nuts to believe that smoking and tanning are bad for you. If they've ever noticed those signs, they might have thought it was some sort of joke...

On another note, it annoys me that whenever I buy a Disney Dooney & Bourke bag, it comes with a Prop. 65 warning. It's like a sprinkling of anti-pixie dust.

TTFN92
09-09-2012, 10:51 PM
On another note, it annoys me that whenever I buy a Disney Dooney & Bourke bag, it comes with a Prop. 65 warning. It's like a sprinkling of anti-pixie dust.
I just got my first one for my birthday last month :D. I didn't notice a tag or anything with the warning but DH may have taken it off. But I am now going to think of that when I see my purse and I'm going to laugh. I don't think I'm going to be eating or licking my purse anytime soon so I think I'll be safe ;).

sjhanksaz
09-10-2012, 05:31 AM
Sounds a little like chicken little yelling the sky is falling.

No wonder so many people ignore warning lables these days, we just see way too many of them.

DwarfPlanet
09-10-2012, 08:53 AM
I remember a certain art glass company who said at a convention that they will not sell to any companies in California due to this law. They advised it was cheaper to not have to label or worry about a possible lawsuit.

carolinakid
09-10-2012, 09:03 AM
McKayla is not impressed......I've seen that photo imposed on literally hundreds of other photos.

candles71
09-10-2012, 09:04 AM
I don't think I'm going to be eating or licking my purse anytime soon so I think I'll be safe ;).
Not after the email that went around saying how gross the bottom of a woman's purse is. IE, setting it on the floor in the restroom etc. ;)

. I remember seeing it on one of our DL receipts and being caught off guard a little. When I read what we had bought that might kill us I figured out it was a stupid law thing because nothing we bought was going to hurt us. I'm so sick of the nanny state each if us live in for different reasons.

Lead Crystal triggers this warning.
The dental one doesn't surprise me. We go to the federally funded Indian clinic for dental, they have to give me the actual spec (there is an acronym for these, it just isn't coming to mind) sheets every once in awhile. It is the stuff that can be in the fillings materials. Comforting, right. :p

Drince88
09-10-2012, 09:09 AM
they have to give me the actual spec (their is an acronym for these, it just isn't coming to mind) sheets every once in awhile.
MSDSs? Material Safety Data Sheets?

Per OSHA, you should also be able to get one from your employer for anything you use at work, with some exceptions for items you can buy retail and use like a general consumer. (i.e., my employer doesn't have to maintain and supply an MSDS for the dishwash soap supplied to wash our mugs, because we buy it retail and use it as designed -- but if we were MAKING that dish soap, they'd have to supply it for the dish soap as well as any of the ingredients used.)

candles71
09-10-2012, 09:12 AM
Thanks Cathy. But oh no you pointed out a typo. Wrong there.